Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which show has the most (current or future) jobbers wrestling on it?
This poll is closed.
WWE NXT 62 16.36%
WWE Superstars 75 19.79%
WWE Saturday Morning Slam - lmao this thread is old 24 6.33%
WWE Main Event 22 5.80%
Impact Wrestling 196 51.72%
Total: 379 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ChaosSmurf
Dec 26, 2011

I Before E posted:

Tony Dawson is like an excitable puppy that decided to commentate wrestling matches, and his interplay with the calm, laid-back Regal is the best.

He's so poo poo when he gets a shot at the big time, it makes me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ChaosSmurf posted:

He needs Regal and less Vince yelling in his ear

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Deadpool posted:

Big crowds don't really care about people they're unfamiliar with doing promos these days. The "What?" bullshit has had a serious detrimental effect on promos that are done live in the ring in my opinion. And I have no doubt that if Bray were to come out he'd get that immediately. They'll have to grab the attention of the crowd some other way first. Vignettes could work maybe. I love the character but I've always felt that it could easily fall flat on its face even if everything is done right because of the live crowds.

I think more than vignettes you just have to have a really good and memorable way of debuting a guy. The videos can build initial buzz so people aren't confused when they first show up, but you need an actual story for a guy that an audience is immediately interested in and you can't drop the ball with it. If you can't engage an audience off the bat it'll be harder to do it later.

A big part of The Shield initially getting over was debuting immediately in the main event to stop Ryback (who was extremely over at the time) from winning the title.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

ChaosSmurf posted:

He seems like he's got two big problems:

1) Not really knowledgeable about wrestling terms, in a way that manages to be more awkward than just "whattamaneuver" type reactions
2) Not very quick on his feet, so when Regal or Maddox or whoever say something that throws him for a loop, there's often a lot of dead air as he struggles to understand what to say

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Man I was so excited for a minute that Mason Ryan had grown a fantastic mullet but, sadly, he just tied his hair back.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

KungFu Grip posted:

Everything I've heard from dark matches and house shows is that the big crowds just don't care about listening to him.

Well yeah, of course big crowds don't care much about him yet; most have no idea who he is. Unless you think they'll debut him cold, which I highly doubt. They can't expect a gimmick to get over in dark matches with different crowds every week who have never seen him before; "Ringmaster" Steve Austin came out to silence when he debuted too. My point was just the fact that they're using the gimmick at high level shows at all, so he'll most likely keep it.

Honestly Wyatt's original NXT debut vignette doesn't have to be changed a bit. It's still good and it doesn't reference anything contemporary.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
I said it when he faced Jericho and I'll say it now. Wyatt's running cross body is excellent. It's vicious and kind works like a spear. He's just the tops.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
So, when did they rename The 13th Step to Lucky 13? I can sorta understand why the name change happened, but I've missed a couple weeks of NXT, so I missed the changeover.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

I Before E posted:

Tony Dawson is like an excitable puppy that decided to commentate wrestling matches, and his interplay with the calm, laid-back Regal is the best.

He reminds me of Scott Standford - he has a "real broadcaster" air about him but seems enthusiastic and genuine. Hope he does better than Scott did. There hasn't been new blood on Raw or SD commentary in ages.

BlueArmyMan posted:

So, when did they rename The 13th Step to Lucky 13? I can sorta understand why the name change happened, but I've missed a couple weeks of NXT, so I missed the changeover.

This week, I think.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
The correct way to debut Bray is to mimic Jericho's return last year when he didn't talk for awhile. Just make him wreck bitches decisively for a bit.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Wojtek posted:

The correct way to debut Bray is to mimic Jericho's return last year when he didn't talk for awhile. Just make him wreck bitches decisively for a bit.

That'd be a huge waste if you ask me. The guy is one of the best talkers WWE have right now. If he doesn't get to demonstrate that, there will be no momentum for him.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
If it makes all of you feel better, when Bray Wyatt wrestled in Fort Wayne, everyone booed him. :shobon:

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
A thought; perhaps the best way to bring up Wyatt is not to do so alone, or as a solo in any way, but as mouthpiece for The Family? You could then do the vignette thing as an intro, keep him talking while Lee and Harper do the initial work (which helps the tag division too), then, eventually, involve him in the ring.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

BlueArmyMan posted:

A thought; perhaps the best way to bring up Wyatt is not to do so alone, or as a solo in any way, but as mouthpiece for The Family? You could then do the vignette thing as an intro, keep him talking while Lee and Harper do the initial work (which helps the tag division too), then, eventually, involve him in the ring.
And keep him away from Cena. All it'd take is for him to say "Well, well, if it isn't Husky Harris..." during one of his jokey promos and a lot of his work would be undone.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

I marked out so hard when Sami and Cesaro actually got the ring bell to start the match; I was expecting a tease for next week or the like and to get not just a match but a great match totally made my day. One of the best NXT episodes period so far, and I can't wait for next week.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Perigryn posted:

And keep him away from Cena. All it'd take is for him to say "Well, well, if it isn't Husky Harris..." during one of his jokey promos and a lot of his work would be undone.

Agreed, though I figure by the time Wyatt is ready for the main event scene (if at all), Cena will be out of it.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

BlueArmyMan posted:

Agreed, though I figure by the time Wyatt is ready for the main event scene (if at all), Cena will be out of it.

This is a great joke.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

DarkstarIV posted:

This is a great joke.
Didn't stop him from randomly going "Antonio Cesaro has huge nipples, hurr hurr hurr".

If we're lucky, he'll just make XBOX ONE jokes and ignore other wrestlers they're trying to get over...

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Which is nothing compared to the time he declared that Del Rio wasn't really rich and rented his cars.

TEGGS
Nov 21, 2004

Spoony Bard!

Pseudophile posted:

Curt Hawkins now looks uncannily like the singer from Rammstein. Unless that dude has majorly changed his looks in the past 10 years, which is entirely possible.

He's being billed as the Prince of Queens. I know that's where he's from but I hope it leads to a fabulous gimmick. :allears:

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

TEGGS posted:

He's being billed as the Prince of Queens. I know that's where he's from but I hope it leads to a fabulous gimmick. :allears:

I actually wanted to say that I was really impressed by Hawkins' performance there, it looks at the very least like he's having fun in NXT.

TEGGS
Nov 21, 2004

Spoony Bard!

Renaissance Spam posted:

I actually wanted to say that I was really impressed by Hawkins' performance there, it looks at the very least like he's having fun in NXT.

He really is a very solid worker and it saddens me he doesn't get the recognition for it.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

TEGGS posted:

He really is a very solid worker and it saddens me he doesn't get the recognition for it.

McGillicutty was the same way and now he's repackaged and getting a push. So have faith man. WWE is full of bad moves lately, but there is a lot of potential.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Prowrestling.net posted:

Independent wrestler G.Q. Money (a/k/a Ryan Katz) announced that he is going to work for WWE NXT as an associate producer. "Just updated my job status and new employer," Katz wrote on Facebook. "Moving to Orlando next week. For those wondering, no, I wasn't 'signed' and you won't see me on NXT, but I am working behind the scenes. Couldn't be more excited." Follow him on Twitter at Twitter.com/IamSmiley.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Chinston Wurchill posted:

He reminds me of Scott Standford - he has a "real broadcaster" air about him but seems enthusiastic and genuine. Hope he does better than Scott did.

Yeah well, Mike Adamle had a "real broadcaster" air about him too. Just saying.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Tony Dawson is great.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

He reminds me of Scott Standford - he has a "real broadcaster" air about him but seems enthusiastic and genuine. Hope he does better than Scott did. There hasn't been new blood on Raw or SD commentary in ages.

He has a "real broadcaster" aura because that's where he came from. I think he also does radio play by play for St. John's basketball or sometihng to that effect and was a sideline reporter for the Memphis Grizzlies.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Suben posted:

He has a "real broadcaster" aura because that's where he came from. I think he also does radio play by play for St. John's basketball or sometihng to that effect and was a sideline reporter for the Memphis Grizzlies.

Grizzles and was the studio host for the Trailblazers. I met him at a broadcasting seminar a few years ago. Really funny and nice guy. I think as soon as he gets calling a match down/wrestling familiarity he could be a really good announcer for them.

Hamass
Jul 20, 2008

I said I didn't like this guy on another IWC board and they went apeshit on me.

What are your thoughts /wooo/?

Liar Lyre posted:

I got a bit of a man crush on Graves too. There is just so much to like about him. Great in the ring. Great on the mic. Unique look and style. Plays heel and face equally well. Is from Pittsburgh. I think he can win the WWE Championship one day.

I think I'm in the minority here, but I can't stand Graves. The eyeliner, the preoccupation with his tattoos ("My dad told me blah blah blah and that was the day I got my first tattoo!") that Jeff Hardy-esque sense of thinking you're the absolute poo poo because you're a unique snowflake or whatever. Pretending to be all hard and tough when you look like a freaking Abercrombie model.

I like a lot of the top prospects in NXT, but Graves just comes across as a total phony to me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hamass posted:

I think I'm in the minority here, but I can't stand Graves. The eyeliner, the preoccupation with his tattoos ("My dad told me blah blah blah and that was the day I got my first tattoo!") that Jeff Hardy-esque sense of thinking you're the absolute poo poo because you're a unique snowflake or whatever. Pretending to be all hard and tough when you look like a freaking Abercrombie model.

I like a lot of the top prospects in NXT, but Graves just comes across as a total phony to me.

He has the best submission finisher in wrestling. :colbert:

Minitrue
Aug 6, 2010

Hamass posted:

I agree, good looking people are never 'tough' or good at fighting. Also, what's up with wrestlers pretending to be hard and tough?

edit: he does remind me a bit of Birdman Anderson though. I guess because tattoos...?

Minitrue fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 25, 2013

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Hamass can suck it.

So I saw the Emma match against Bayley and Bayley looked amazingly familiar. They announced her from San Jose and it clicked.

I saw her debut in a tiny Indy in Hayward, California about 6 years ago. At least I'm about 99 percent it's her.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

CapCityGoofBall posted:

Hamass can suck it.

So I saw the Emma match against Bayley and Bayley looked amazingly familiar. They announced her from San Jose and it clicked.

I saw her debut in a tiny Indy in Hayward, California about 6 years ago. At least I'm about 99 percent it's her.

I keep thinking she's Davina Rose.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Renaissance Spam posted:

I keep thinking she's Davina Rose.

She is.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Okay! Thought I was just going crazy.

Hamass
Jul 20, 2008

I said I didn't like this guy on another IWC board and they went apeshit on me.

What are your thoughts /wooo/?

Minitrue posted:

I agree, good looking people are never 'tough' or good at fighting. Also, what's up with wrestlers pretending to be hard and tough?

edit: he does remind me a bit of Birdman Anderson though. I guess because tattoos...?

On a purely superficial basis, the majority of the male roster would be considered good-looking. Hell, I loved Cody Rhodes when his entire gimmick was "I'm good looking". CM Punk's into the whole rock and tattoos scene and never came across as phony to me.

He looks like a mugger you'd see on television when producers are afraid to cast a minority. Or the male love interest in a Lady Gaga music video - one of the ballads, not a dance track. Good wrestlers don't need to try so hard to appear tough.

Hamass fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 25, 2013

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Hamass posted:

On a purely superficial basis, the majority of the male roster would be considered good-looking. Hell, I loved Cody Rhodes when his entire gimmick was "I'm good looking". CM Punk's into the whole rock and tattoos scene and never came across as phony to me.

He looks like a mugger you'd see on television when producers are afraid to cast a minority. Or the male love interest in a Lady Gaga music video - one of the ballads, not a dance track. Good wrestlers don't need to try so hard to appear tough.

Fortunately for him he's actually a drat good pro wrestler. But I suppose that means nothing.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

njsykora posted:

He has the best submission finisher in wrestling. :colbert:

This is why I like him.

Because jesus christ it actually looks painful to be in that hold.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Graves loves his tattoo's to the point that when people were telling him he would have to choose between them and one day getting in the WWE he went out and got more the next day with the attitude that if "I'm good enough I'll get there anyway."

He's about as far as you can get from being a phony. Cool guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know about phony but I also don't know what to call a legitimate one of those either.

• Locked thread