Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

That Mermaid mockumentary is really weirdly good, but it frustrates the hell out of me since it's like the only doc about that really interesting and evocative aquatic ape theory but it's all wrapped up in a fantasy veneer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007

penismightier posted:

That Mermaid mockumentary is really weirdly good, but it frustrates the hell out of me since it's like the only doc about that really interesting and evocative aquatic ape theory but it's all wrapped up in a fantasy veneer.

What's the name?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Stares At Floor posted:

What's the name?

Mermaids: The Body Found.

It's a fun little fantasy/found footage hybrid thing.

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007

penismightier posted:

Mermaids: The Body Found.

It's a fun little fantasy/found footage hybrid thing.

Oh I thought you were talking about an additional documentary. Yeah we found that and watched it last night. I thought they made a good case for the aquatic ape theory. I'm looking at the webbing between my fingers right now. However, now my 10 year old daughter who's been raised Catholic is all confused. We had to have a "talk" after watching that. Lol. It's all good though. =) Glad we watched it, and awesome again that I knew I could come here and find an obscure show.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Stares At Floor posted:

Oh I thought you were talking about an additional documentary. Yeah we found that and watched it last night. I thought they made a good case for the aquatic ape theory. I'm looking at the webbing between my fingers right now. However, now my 10 year old daughter who's been raised Catholic is all confused. We had to have a "talk" after watching that. Lol. It's all good though. =) Glad we watched it, and awesome again that I knew I could come here and find an obscure show.

The "evolution is true" talk is becoming the new "Santa Claus isn't real" talk.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Need some recommendations for some good 80s/90s horror movies that have a unique premise, contain lots of practical gore/creature effects, and have a sleazy low budget aesthetic. For example: Basket Case, Street Trash, C.H.U.D., From Beyond.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
How much Hennenlotter have you seen aside from Basket Case?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

How much Hennenlotter have you seen aside from Basket Case?

Zero.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Having finally watched Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story, my request is very specific: are there any more films made with dolls?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

There you go, right there: Brain Damage and Frankenhooker.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

There you go, right there: Brain Damage and Frankenhooker.

Gotcha. How are the Basket Case sequels?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Ewar Woowar posted:

Exit Through the Gift Shop is most definitely taking the piss out of the art world something chronic. Thierry/Mr Brainwash is fictional.

It's most definitely taking the piss out of the art world but that doesn't mean it's fictional. Plenty of documentaries make strong, indicting statements about their subjects but it's still all true. However, the discussion of whether Exit Through The Gift Shop is true or not is a bit of what I'm going for.

I've seen Annie Hall and Marienbad and love them both. An Oversimplification of Her Beauty looks like it could be definitely be the kind of thing I want, I'll try and find out how I can see it. Thanks.

Edit: Looks like Oversimplification is touring right now but it'll be coming to a theater I go to regularly so I'll try and catch it then. Thanks!

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 24, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

caiman posted:

Gotcha. How are the Basket Case sequels?

Brain Damage is a much better followup than Basket Case 2 although Basket Case 2 is pretty good. I have never seen BC3.

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007

caiman posted:

The "evolution is true" talk is becoming the new "Santa Claus isn't real" talk.

I'm just trying not to piss off her mother with my heathen views.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Stares At Floor posted:

I'm just trying not to piss off her mother with my heathen views.

According to Pope John Paul II a belief in evolution is consistent with Catholic theology. Of course according to the new Pope Athiests go to heaven if they do good in life.

OnlyLivingWitness
Dec 23, 2005

Brain Damage is a much better followup than Basket Case 2 although Basket Case 2 is pretty good. I have never seen BC3.

The quality of this clip is pretty bad, and it has Spanish subtitles, but your relative enjoyment of this scene will be a good indicator as to whether or not you'll like Basket Case 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp-jnw5l4QA

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Can anyone recommend me some good (or at least entertaining) surreal 70s science fiction movies? Stuff like Zardoz, A Boy and His Dog, A Clockwork Orange, Slaughterhouse Five, or Sleeper. Unnecessary nudity and ham-fisted social commentary are definitely welcome.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Twitch posted:

Can anyone recommend me some good (or at least entertaining) surreal 70s science fiction movies? Stuff like Zardoz, A Boy and His Dog, A Clockwork Orange, Slaughterhouse Five, or Sleeper. Unnecessary nudity and ham-fisted social commentary are definitely welcome.

I tried to answer this question, only to realize that every single film I thought of was actually from the eighties.

That said, you should watch Krull anyways.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I tried to answer this question, only to realize that every single film I thought of was actually from the eighties.

That said, you should watch Krull anyways.

Even if it's not exactly what I'm looking for, I haven't watched Krull in close to 20 years so I'm going to take that recommendation anyway.

Also, the year is less important than the style in what I'm looking for, so go ahead and recommend movies anyway. I have a long weekend and nothing to do but watch movies right now.

edit: I recommend everyone watch Krull.

Twitch fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 26, 2013

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Brain Damage was pretty drat awesome! Thanks for the recommendation. Now time for Frankenhooker.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I didn't know Jesús Franco died until now. I just watched my first Franco film—Vampiros Lesbos—which was surprisingly good for what it is. I'm looking at his other films and holy loving balls he was prolific. Do you guys have any recommendations to narrow this down?

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Twitch posted:

Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970)
Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (1972) !!
Ralph Bakshi's Wizards (1977)
Radioactive Dreams (1985)

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

CloseFriend posted:

I didn't know Jesús Franco died until now. I just watched my first Franco film—Vampiros Lesbos—which was surprisingly good for what it is. I'm looking at his other films and holy loving balls he was prolific. Do you guys have any recommendations to narrow this down?

I enjoy Downtown, Faceless, Venus in Furs and have a particular soft spot for his entry into the Ilsa series: Ilsa, the Wicked Warden. I loves me some Lina Romay!

Also his version of Jack the Ripper starring Klaus Kinski is wonderful! Doesn't make a lick of sense but it's got Kinski!

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Starscream posted:

Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970)
Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (1972) !!
Ralph Bakshi's Wizards (1977)
Radioactive Dreams (1985)

No joke, I was going to list the Planet of the Apes movies in my post, but didn't want to have a giant wall of text. However, I haven't seen Wizards yet, and I've never heard of Radioactive Dreams before now, so I'll definitely say thanks!

Now if only I can find a way to watch Radioactive Dreams that doesn't involve buying a 20 year old VHS tape.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Solaris, THX 1138, Mad Max (which presumably you've seen), The Man Who Fell to Earth, Westworld, and even though they're so loving 80s, Repo Man, and The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension! must always be mentioned when I can.

Haven't seen Solaris, THX 1138, The Man Who Fell to Earth, or Westworld, and I swear those used to all be on Netflix, which seems to be 90% sci-fi channel crap now.

Twitch fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 26, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Twitch posted:

Solaris, THX 1138, Mad Max (which presumably you've seen), The Man Who Fell to Earth, Westworld, and even though they're so loving 80s, Repo Man, and The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension! must always be mentioned when I can.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

OnlyLivingWitness posted:

The quality of this clip is pretty bad, and it has Spanish subtitles, but your relative enjoyment of this scene will be a good indicator as to whether or not you'll like Basket Case 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp-jnw5l4QA

Haha okay, sold.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Twitch posted:

No joke, I was going to list the Planet of the Apes movies in my post, but didn't want to have a giant wall of text. However, I haven't seen Wizards yet, and I've never heard of Radioactive Dreams before now, so I'll definitely say thanks!

Now if only I can find a way to watch Radioactive Dreams that doesn't involve buying a 20 year old VHS tape.

But only the 2nd and 4th Apes movies. The 2nd has such a crazy premise and the 4th is just balls out crazy! The one with Cornelius and Zira is a nice story and all but it's boring, and the last one is just a mess.

As for Radioactive Dreams, I found a VHS at a thrift shop and bought that fucker for a buck!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Twitch posted:

I have no problem bringing YTOTD to this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lcjWjSsAEI

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012
I just watched Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States, and now I'm looking for more history/world events/political documentaries.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

thet0wer posted:

I just watched Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States, and now I'm looking for more history/world events/political documentaries.

Harlan County U.S.A
Most anything by Ken Burns, but especially his Civil War and Jack Johnson documentaries.
Waltz with Bashir

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

thet0wer posted:

Fog of War.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

thet0wer posted:

Why We Fight

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
Looking for comedies that pretend to be for real. Loved This is Spinal Tap and Black Dynamite, CB4 sucked.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Red Garland posted:

Looking for comedies that pretend to be for real. Loved This is Spinal Tap and Black Dynamite, CB4 sucked.
You should really watch the Christopher Guest mockumentaries: Waiting For Guffman, Best in Show, and A Mighty Wind. They're all great, and they also use a lot of Spinal Tap's cast.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Also check out Woody Allen's great Zelig.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

caiman posted:

Also check out Woody Allen's great Zelig.

And if you like Zelig, check out Sweet and Lowdown.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Red Garland posted:

Drop Dead Gorgeous was decent, I seem to remember.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Red Garland posted:

Fear of a Black Hat is like a funny version of CB4 and probably tops my list of most underrated comedies. How much you get out of it probably depends entirely on how into rap you were in the late 80s / early 90s; you'll miss a lot if you aren't at least passingly familiar with Compton's Most Wanted, Ice Cube, Public Enemy, PM Dawn, etc. The songs are not only funny, but legit good too (again, if you have a soft spot for early 90s rap)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1WFA0liN1o -- hilarious spot-on satire of that genre of rap songs. Also :nws:

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 29, 2013

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

regulargonzalez posted:

Fear of a Black Hat is like a funny version of CB4 and probably tops my list of most underrated comedies. How much you get out of it probably depends entirely on how into rap you were in the late 80s / early 90s; you'll miss a lot if you aren't at least passingly familiar with Compton's Most Wanted, Ice Cube, Public Enemy, PM Dawn, etc. The songs are not only funny, but legit good too (again, if you have a soft spot for early 90s rap)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1WFA0liN1o -- hilarious spot-on satire of that genre of rap songs. Also :nws:

Listen to this guy, that's a great little film. It really was Spinal Rap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013

regulargonzalez posted:

LOL, THAT CLIP! I'm definitely watching this. Thanks a lot.

• Locked thread