Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Herostratus posted:

That's awsome man, looking forward to it. I'll be sure to point out more stuff like this your way. BTW FYI your translator is cheating :) The translation only starts at 02:11 into the video.

Nope, I'm just an idiot and deleted it by mistake. It's restored now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herostratus
May 1, 2013

Brown Moses posted:

Nope, I'm just an idiot and deleted it by mistake. It's restored now.

Ah, cool. BTW 'I am firing at the house one by seven' should be 'I'm firing one round of B7 (RPG-7) at the house'. Same with other references to 'seven'.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Herostratus posted:

Ah, cool. BTW 'I am firing at the house one by seven' should be 'I'm firing one round of B7 (RPG-7) at the house'. Same with other references to 'seven'.

Ah great, that makes sense, I did wonder.

Herostratus
May 1, 2013
The Murtada heard desperately calling for an ambulance in the video might be this guy, Hezbollah fighter Hussein Mistrah AKA Murtada who died in Qusair in recent days. He was pretty young, and his civilian job was literally a boy scout leader (in Hezbollah's version of the boy scous movement, the Imam al Mahdi Scouts). Of course, it might be a different Murtada.

Herostratus
May 1, 2013
More Hezbollah coms intercepts from Qusayr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVJSi4tc2ws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwK68Mm7pgM

Herostratus fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 23, 2013

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Brown Moses posted:

I've managed to get a translation for the entire video.

Any idea on the overall time length represented from the first communication to the end of the video or how continuous the chatter is? It seems like the situation kind of goes south towards the end, but it would seem odd if a large battle started out and went south in like 10 minutes.

Edit: also why do those two other communications videos contain the Hezbollah flag with a spoon and crutch? Are those spoofs or does Hezbollah have an open mind when it comes to branding different functions of their government.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

Torpor posted:

Any idea on the overall time length represented from the first communication to the end of the video or how continuous the chatter is? It seems like the situation kind of goes south towards the end, but it would seem odd if a large battle started out and went south in like 10 minutes.

Edit: also why do those two other communications videos contain the Hezbollah flag with a spoon and crutch? Are those spoofs or does Hezbollah have an open mind when it comes to branding different functions of their government.

See that icecream next to the hand with flies coming out of it?
That isn't icecream.

Its a parody of their logo. The text roughly translates to "We were spoon-fed poop".

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Torpor posted:

Do you think Hezbollah would put on youtube videos of their communications being intercepted?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A new video has been posted from Qusayr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lcfxkmbiJk

Abu Sakkar is stood 2nd from the left, and the video appears to have been filmed here. You'll note the road layout matches, as does the layout of the mosque pictured.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Who/what is Mazloom?

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Who/what is Mazloom?

It means wronged or oppressed, and is a call-sign for someone on the radio.

Herostratus
May 1, 2013

Muffiner posted:

It means wronged or oppressed, and is a call-sign for someone on the radio.

Its also a typical Shia name. I think Mazloum and Abu-Hassan are the two ranking officers on the scene, each commanding a different group. They're both coordinating the rescue of what might be a third group of injured and pinned down fighters. Abu Hassan's group attempts to reach them by vehichle but one of their tanks is stuck and now they need Mazloum's group to send someone to fix it. Meanwhile there's ongoing frindly fire between the different groups. It all plays out over the same frequency, which is why its a bit confusing.

Herostratus fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 23, 2013

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's my latest post, The DIY Hell Cannon, which looks like this

More details here.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 23, 2013

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Brown Moses posted:

A new video has been posted from Qusayr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lcfxkmbiJk

Abu Sakkar is stood 2nd from the left, and the video appears to have been filmed here. You'll note the road layout matches, as does the layout of the mosque pictured.

Are those guys complaining about the damage to the minaret? Might have more...moral authority if they left the cannibal out of the shot.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

SedanChair posted:

Are those guys complaining about the damage to the minaret? Might have more...moral authority if they left the cannibal out of the shot.

I forgot to add I had a translate done. It's pretty much the woman saying they'll all fight to the death, and Abu Sakkar saying "victory or death" at the end.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A week ago CJ Chivers wrote a piece, Battlefield Update: The Fight for Isolated Government Outposts in Northern Syria, where he talked about 3 major sieges occurring in the north of the country, at Mennegh air base, and two locations known as the Brick Factory and Youth Camp:

quote:

in northern Syria, the government has retained several strong points in the face of rebel gains. Two of the most important have been a pair of mutually supporting positions between Ariha and Saraqib known almost universally in the area as the “Brick Factory” and the “Youth Camp,” names derived from each position’s prewar use. These two positions are in the lowlands at the foot of the Jebel al-Zawiya range, the mountainous area of the Idlib countryside, and virtually astride one of the four-lane highways that crisscross the region.

The brick factory is one of the most loathed positions in the area; from here the government troops routinely shell the surrounding Sunni villages. This place, simply put, kills and terrifies local people. The boom of its artillery is a frequent sound. Many residents visibly flinch when they hear the outgoing rounds, wondering where the shells will land. A view of the next image, below, shows one of the reasons the position has survived so long: the surrounding ground is thinly vegetated with olive groves, making an undetected approach difficult.

The two positions, the old factory and the old camp, are also close enough that they can support each other by indirect fire, meaning that rebel movements against either camp can expose the opposition fighters to a crescendo of dropping artillery and mortar rounds. And when rebels get close, they can face direct fire from the armor and machine guns within. The two outposts also are within range of artillery from Ariha, where the Syrian Army still occupies multiple strong points, and where the rebels have been unable to establish a secure foothold. (Activists said that this is because of the lingering presence of pro-regime informants and spies.)

What's significant is the Youth Camp has now fallen to opposition force, meaning the Brick Factory should follow shortly. Videos from the Youth Camp are being posted here

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 23, 2013

Herostratus
May 1, 2013
So what do you guys think about the possibilty of cantonization / partition of Syria. Will it happen? Is it a good solution for Syria's problems?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Herostratus posted:

So what do you guys think about the possibilty of cantonization / partition of Syria. Will it happen? Is it a good solution for Syria's problems?

The solution to their and everyone else's problems would be to go back in time and slap Sykes and Picot across their cheeks until they agreed to not divide the region into British and French mandates with no questions asked from locals.

loving armchair imperialists

dox
Mar 4, 2006
Full text of Obama speech on terrorism/counterterrorism tonight is out... here you go.

I think it's a very good and well balanced speech, but as time passes I just don't commute Obama words into Obama action. But I'm still glad he is laying out a good doctrine from which to build upon...

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Wait, he's admitting we used torture? Isn't that a change?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brown Moses posted:

I forgot to add I had a translate done. It's pretty much the woman saying they'll all fight to the death, and Abu Sakkar saying "victory or death" at the end.

How much of an active role have you seen woman taking in the civil war? This is the first time i've seen a woman in a military (or militarized, maybe she's just a spoke person)role in this conflict.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Mans posted:

How much of an active role have you seen woman taking in the civil war? This is the first time i've seen a woman in a military (or militarized, maybe she's just a spoke person)role in this conflict.

Well there's been the odd report here and there of female fighters, but the general consensus is they've been for show. The situation this video was filmed in is somewhat more serious, so I don't think they'd be loving about like that so much. The exception to this are the Kurdish groups, who use female fighters on a regular basis.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SedanChair posted:

Wait, he's admitting we used torture? Isn't that a change?

I think we've already had a four-star general straight-up say in Congressional testimony "we tortured people, and some of those people were literally tortured to death", so I don't think having the President admit it changes much. I mean, this administration already declared that anyone involved in those murders was immune to prosecution.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Video of a new alleged CW attack in Adra, Damascus. 3 reported dead, 40 injured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7decFOPwVCo

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
The symptoms in this video look closer to nerve agent exposure than the previous videos. So, at the very least, their acting is getting better!

The Orgasm Sanction fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 23, 2013

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

Might have more...moral authority if they left the cannibal out of the shot.

Maybe it's a Tupac 'gently caress the fame' thing. It was the Civil War equivalent of having an embarrassing cellphone video at a party go viral.

:jihad: It's all about context :commissar: :hampants:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Intel5 posted:

The symptoms in this video look closer to nerve agent exposure than the previous videos. So, at the very least, their acting is getting better!

Well not the symptoms so much as the medical treatment. Simply being unresponsive isn't indicative of anything.

I think that we'll just have to wait and see what evidence appears.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 24, 2013

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn5_NbVRMA0

Tripoli last night

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
http://syria.newscientistapps.com/

I haven't looked at the dataset yet, but this is potentially interesting.

Herostratus
May 1, 2013
"Assad makes small but strategic gains in Syrian civil war as rebels begin to lose hope"

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/05/24/assad-makes-small-but-strategic-gains-in-syrian-civil-war-as-rebels-begin-to-lose-hope/

I agree with the general conclusion of this article. Momentum appears to be swinging towards the regime.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Note thats Tripoli, Lebanon not the one in Libya.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

ukle posted:

Note thats Tripoli, Lebanon not the one in Libya.

I was almost confused by this until I ran it through Google Translate. What are the chances of Lebanon becoming as hosed as Syria?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Devices linked to alleged chemical attacks have been captured by the opposition, more details here.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Death toll in Tripoli (Lebanon) has risen to 23: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/05/20135247238338829.html.

Yeah, it looks like Lebanon is falling apart, things overall are only destabilizing further in the region.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's a good piece from AFP where a Hezbollah fighter explains what's been happening in Qusayr

quote:

http://www.naharnet.com/stories/en/84308

Hassan is just 18 and a fighter with Hizbullah, which sent nearly 2,000 men to support the Syrian army's assault on the central town of Qusayr this week.

His father Ali was also among the ranks of the Hizbullah men battling rebels in the key town, many of them holed up in tunnels.

Hassan, a gunner, came back to his home in Bekaa's Baalbeck city on Wednesday after three days of grueling combat.

His father did not.

Hassan discovered that Ali had been killed on day one of the fierce firefights. Together they had left to fight in Qusayr, but now his 43-year-old father was dead -- shot twice in the chest.

"We were not in the same place, but I had a hunch, a weight on my chest. I was thinking of him all the time," Hassan admitted before breaking down in tears.

He quickly regained his composure: "I must be strong. From now on, I have to look after my mother and sister, then I will have to go back to the battle to finish what we started."

Hassan said the resistance put up by rebels in Qusayr had taken him and his comrades by surprise.

"On the first day, we advanced through the alleyways towards the center of Qusayr, and then suddenly the rebels attacked us from behind," he told Agence France Presse.

"We could not see any fighters, we thought there was no one there," he added, still wearing his combat fatigues, a Hizbullah scarf draped over his shoulders and a weapon in his hand.

"When we had pushed through two thirds of the city, towards the north, they came out of tunnels and opened fire on us. We had a lot of fighters killed and wounded, all of them shot in the back," he said.

The regime assault on the rebel stronghold of Qusayr, in central Homs province, began on Sunday.

Troops backed by fighters from Hizbullah, a staunch ally of Syrian President Bashar Assad, stormed the town after seizing a string of nearby villages.

Hizbullah forces were organized into 17 units of 100 men each, before storming the city from the east, south and west, a source close to the group said.

The town, which lies near the border with Lebanon, is home to some 25,000 people, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

It is a key prize for the rebels, a conduit through which weapons and fighters can be channeled from Lebanon.

Qusayr is also important for Assad's forces because of its strategic location between Damascus and the Mediterranean coast, the rear base for the regime.

Hassan said hundreds of well-armed and organized rebels put up a fierce fight.

"It took us a long time to eliminate them," he said.

"We had to search each house or burn it. Some tunnels were destroyed but others are still there and the rebels are still hiding in them."

Over the past eight months, the Observatory says, Hizbullah has lost 104 fighters in fighting in central Homs province, which borders Lebanon, and around a revered Shiite pilgrimage site near Damascus.

Hizbullah spokesman Ibrahim Musawi denied those figures, without providing an alternative number, and a source close to the movement said it had lost 75 dead.

Despite the losses, Hassan said that the hardest was yet to come for Hizbullah, as they will have to take the town's northern neighborhoods where most residents and rebel fighters are dug in.

"It is very difficult to take the last part. There are snipers everywhere. It will cost us dearly, but we will take it," he said with determination.

His mother Umm Hassan, 45, recalled the day her husband and son left for the battle. "When my husband left the house, I did not say goodbye to him," she said.

She maintained that the fight in Syria is vital for Hizbullah.

"It is much more important to fight in Qusayr now than against Israel because there are many (rebels) from different nationalities who are even more dangerous enemies than Israel," she insisted.

The Syrian regime says fighters from 28 countries have joined the rebels.

"My husband went to fight over there before they could attack us in Lebanon. We are not fighting against the Syrians but against our enemies who are in Syria," Umm Hassan said.

It's interesting how the opposition appear to be using their knowledge of the terrain to their advantage, much like was seen in Misrata in Libya. I've also been told that the north of the town has always been consider the main opposition stronghold, so it's likely the fight for that part of the city will be the toughest.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Sounds like your traditional "overconfident stroll into an ambush." WHOOPS.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

redscare posted:

There's another good piece on this in NOW Lebanon, especially regarding Hezbollah's strength and experience

quote:

It is generally estimated that Hezbollah lost 500-600 soldiers during the July 2006 war with Israel. Not only was that a high percentage of its regular fighting force — thought to be anywhere around 2,000 men at the time — but also, it represented a loss of operational memory, as many of those fighters had gained combat experience against Israel and its proxy (the South Lebanon Army) in southern Lebanon. Some observers at the time maintained that many of Hezbollah’s best fighters “never saw action” in 2006, as local village fighters, and not Hezbollah “regulars,” handled much of the defense. But this was mainly party propaganda attempting to put a brave face on what was by any measure a major blow to the resistance.

It’s been reported since that, after the war ended, Hezbollah embarked on a major recruitment effort, and sent new recruits to Iran for training in order to rebuild its elite units. These new members, however, have not seen actual combat. Judging from the death notices of Hezbollah fighters in al-Qusayr and Damascus, many of them seem to be in their early to mid-20s. In other words, these are fighters unlikely to have participated in the fighting in 2006, and who are part of the post-2006 recruitment drive.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

quote:

"My husband went to fight over there before they could attack us in Lebanon. We are not fighting against the Syrians but against our enemies who are in Syria," Umm Hassan said.

Where I have I heard this before?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

There's another good piece on this iNOW Lebanon, especially regarding Hezbollah's strength and experience

I saw you tweet that one, it's a pretty interesting article because it points out that the Hezbollah forces are hardly the crack squad they were made out to be and are instead quite green, even if they are better trained than Syrian Army soldiers (most of who now have a fair amount of experience).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

redscare posted:

It might sound obvious, but it's fairly easy to underestimate the difficulty of assaulting a prepared position - particularly in an urban area. Even when you're willing to burn down houses and inflict civilian casualties, you need a lot of ordnance to overcome the defender advantage. If Hezbollah is attempting a straightforward mechanized infantry assault, they'll be constantly walking into IEDs and killzones, and being harassed by snipers in cover. Hezbollah built its reputation through exactly the kind of defensive fighting that it is now facing, but now the shoe is on the other foot. It'll be a bloody slog to force their way into the opposition stronghold - though it appears that they may have the troops to achieve their goal - which means that the reprisals against the civilians who remain will be absolutely brutal.

• Locked thread