Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

DOOP posted:

Grantland is hit or miss for me. Their good stuff is fantastic but their bad stuff is awful. That being said, Brian Phillips is a great writer. Go look for his piece on the Iditarod. It's mind blowing.

And the RVP-Piers thing is the best.

Back when his blog was Run Of Play it was amazing. Grantland has given him the opportunity to branch out and I've really liked a lot of his stuff. I did think the Xavi piece was bad, and his I Hate Manchester United one was pure linkbait, but I guess that's the job. I wish he was a little more interested in the local product, but what can you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Just when I thought I couldn't love RVP any more. What a thing to wake up to! :swoon:

sircozzie
Jul 8, 2011

Release the Meerkat
Monaco page still claims Bill Murray is on the clubs books, but he's out on loan at Groundhog Day F.C.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

If you can catch it, Monaco has a rather amusing squad list at the moment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AS_Monaco_FC#Current_squad

I particularly like Peter Crouch in defence, Ronald McDonald as a Cameroonian midfielder and Ibrahimovic on loan from Twente

Looking forward to see what Bill Murray adds to their midfield tbh

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
Christina Aguilera (captain)

MikeTheCoolOne
Jul 18, 2006

Drinking heavily the night before.

sircozzie posted:

Monaco page still claims Bill Murray is on the clubs books, but he's out on loan at Groundhog Day F.C.

Again?

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Adulterous Hitler posted:

Again?

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Hah, this is just like Lost in Translation!

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

for some reason shane smeltz as a norweigian is the funniest part to me.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
That Portuguese lad David Cameron will make the headlines one day.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Noted Belgian Maggie Thatcher is dead. rip

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
I think the success of the team rests on the Congolese lad Lord Alan Sugar

mynameisjohn posted:

for some reason shane smeltz as a norweigian is the funniest part to me.

He's a noted Dane mate

lets go swimming fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 25, 2013

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Chas McGill posted:

Whatever. He's great. I much prefer a frivolous article about football to one that takes it too loving seriously. That said, I haven't read any other Grantland stuff because they seem to mainly deal in US sports.
In addition to that article posted earlier, this is real bad

quote:

Sorry for the advanced analysis here, but it's just very hard to win against a team that both scores and defends as well as Bayern does. It's like playing Galaga. Remember Galaga? You could nab every power-up in the game, you could clear level after level, but those aliens were going to keep munching their way toward you forever, like a typewriter ribbon that never ran out. (Remember typewriters?) Bayern is the endless loop of aliens; Dortmund is a kid who's only got so many quarters. You can root for the kid, but be realistic.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

vaginal culture posted:

In addition to that article posted earlier, this is real bad

jesus christ

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

A reality that the leader with an almost mythical will to win has gone and may, just may, have dragged Manchester United’s air of invincibility with him. To use an incredibly geeky analogy as we are wont to do, it is as if United fans have, for 20-odd years, been watching football cloaked in an overshield (to use the parlance of a very popular multi-billion-dollar computer game franchise). And now the overshield has gone, the flood are coming. Maybe. Are they? No one knows, of course. And that’s the killer. This is what real life feels like, Manchester United fans.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I remember reading The Grapes of Wrath and literally throwing the book down on the ground and stomping on it, crying and screaming, because it had basically no videogame analogies (unless there were some towards the end - I stopped reading) Utter trash book in my opinion.

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

It's official: that terrible badge Everton trademarked a while back is the new club crest:

It looks like a loving Merseyside Blue badge from Pro Evo.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

NeoNaoNeo posted:

It's official: that terrible badge Everton trademarked a while back is the new club crest:

It looks like a loving Merseyside Blue badge from Pro Evo.
Honestly I don't care about crests, but I think from a marketing standpoint it's a mis-step for all these historic clubs to be updating theirs recently.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That thing looks like a face. A grumpy one.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Like that the tacky gradients of the previous one are gone, don't like it missing the motto and looking like a police badge

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
Out of the PL only the Chels managed a good redesign. I hate the font on the arsenal crest, it's proper crap compared to the old one

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Why do all the clubs remove "football club" from their crests?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Because their target audience calls the sport soccer

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

:chillpill:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

^^^ AVB owns.

Haha this is great. I do enjoy Brian Phillips for the most part. I'm glad soccer is getting more exposure on ESPN.com through Grantland and him.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Fulham's had the best crests.

Look at the cute little cottage!

And now
:(

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Is the cottage supposed to look like some West Ham fans came to visit

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

This is amazing. AVB owns and I'll forever be sad that he didn't work out at Chelsea

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't know, none of the Fulham crests look particularly good, nor would they serve well in the 21st century. But they all look distinct, which is what I think the latest crest was going with. I like it.

I agree with whoever said Arsenal's crest has a loving poo poo font. I cannot wait until they redesign it.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Arsenal's old crest owned

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004

This was outside the Britannia Stadium today.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Bile Service indeed.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Vegetable posted:

I don't know, none of the Fulham crests look particularly good, nor would they serve well in the 21st century. But they all look distinct, which is what I think the latest crest was going with. I like it.

I agree with whoever said Arsenal's crest has a loving poo poo font. I cannot wait until they redesign it.

I wish they kept the one they came up with for their 125th anniversary (but maybe do something about having 2011 on it). It still has what they use now as the core, but the font and all isn't the focal point and thus not as much of an eyesore.

vickser
Dec 27, 2012

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB_hEX5LefA

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley
Any of you fine people have a pic of Javi Martinez post-match? The spanish journos are raging about the flag he was seen with and I missed this :c

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Voluspa posted:

Any of you fine people have a pic of Javi Martinez post-match? The spanish journos are raging about the flag he was seen with and I missed this :c

Bandera de Navarra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Really don't see why some of the journos are pissed off by it. He's from Navarre after all and it's hardly the same as showing the ikurriņa..

• Locked thread