Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doogle
May 24, 2003

GyverMac posted:

Norwegian FSK (special forces) dude with what I guess is his ANA-commando trainee:
(Check out the ANA commandos' wicked tiger-striped AK)

All the ANA we trained had honda AKs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011
I remember the locals had a water truck with a F-16 made out of flower petals painted on the side at one FOB. It seems they really like bright colors over there.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My favorite thing was that every single vehicle had a Type-R badge somewhere. Either stickers, steering wheels or seat covers, that poo poo was on everything from hiluxes to jingly trucks.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Kind of a cool Memorial Day video courtesy of Crye Precision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDF5m-vZ0_8

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5RJNo_oF8

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

DrCuntmuffins posted:

Geez. Way to ruin the fun :stare:

Why do Aircraft marshallers have such crisp salutes. like, they just pop outta nowhere and im like "drat"

It's the only thing the pilot pays attention to.

MesquiteLog
Dec 8, 2009

Deathy McDeath posted:

Needs more slo mo.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Deathy McDeath posted:

It was neat, but I was wondering if they could find a way to squeeze any more Crye Products in there. I guess it is a commercial disguised as a tribute.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Click for huge.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
What's the purpose of those chains to the rear of the turret? Cheap anti-RPG measure?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Clickety-clackers for the spokes

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ArchangeI posted:

What's the purpose of those chains to the rear of the turret? Cheap anti-RPG measure?

Yes. Israelis use chains on the Merkava, we use RPG cages.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
The Merkava is really the sexiest tank out there right now.

I love how compact and sleek it is.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Pssh.

I'm biased, but you're wrong as hell.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Just wait til Grover sticks a PEW PEW on a M1A5 or something. :awesome:

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Nothing will ever give me a tank boner like the S-tank.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

No turret, no traverse. What's the point? An MBT would wipe the floor with it.
:goonsay:

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

No turret, no traverse. What's the point? An MBT would wipe the floor with it.

Yeah I never really got that. I mean I know they were made for defense but if you can't counter attack effectively then they kind of suck for any worthwhile defensive plan other than like a withdrawal with prepared defensive positions.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho
http://cnc.wikia.com/wiki/File:Generals-China-OverLordTankVariants.jpg

best tank imo

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I mean, it's true.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!

Richard Bong posted:

Yeah I never really got that. I mean I know they were made for defense but if you can't counter attack effectively then they kind of suck for any worthwhile defensive plan other than like a withdrawal with prepared defensive positions.

You can attack ith them. They don't fire on the mov, but neither did most tanks of that era.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
The way the S-tank was explained to me was that it was designed specifically (and only) to delay a Soviet armor force for as long as it is even possible to do such a thing. The Swedes weren't counting on having to counter attack as they were hoping that would come in the form of NATO eventually coming to the aid before the entire country was overrun.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Scratch Monkey posted:

The way the S-tank was explained to me was that it was designed specifically (and only) to delay a Soviet armor force for as long as it is even possible to do such a thing. The Swedes weren't counting on having to counter attack as they were hoping that would come in the form of NATO eventually coming to the aid before the entire country was overrun.

The S-Tank was specifically designed to take advantage of its low profile over flat terrain where other tanks couldn't find proper hull down positions, like the Jagdpanzers and Sturmgeschutz models from the Germans during World War 2.

The S-Tank actually did pretty well for its design.

Richard Bong posted:

Not entirely true. A hull like that allows a larger weapon to be mounted, and with modern fire control systems the gunner can steer the tank slowly to track the target and gives them an overall lower profile and further sloped armor, the S-Tank actually allowed the gunner to rotate the tank left and right independent of the driver, so it wasn't as big a disadvantage as people made it out to be.

quote:

The Stridsvagn 103 never saw combat and so its design remains unproven. However, for its intended role in the 1960s it had numerous advantages. In 1967, Norway carried out a two-week comparative observation test with the Leopard 1 and found that with closed hatches the 103 spotted more targets and fired faster than the Leopard. In April to September 1968, two 103s were tested at the British armour school in Bovington, which reported that "the turretless concept of the "S"-tank holds considerable advantage over turreted tanks". In BAOR 1973, the 103 was tested against the Chieftain tank. Availability never fell under 90% and the final report stated, "It has not been possible to prove any disadvantage in the "S" inability to fire on the move." In 1975, two 103s were tested at the American armour center at Fort Knox. The trial demonstrated the 103 fired more accurately than the M60A1E3, but on an average 0.5 seconds slower.

Give them credit where credit is due, the Germans did well with their Assault Guns/Tank Destroyers during the war, in fact the StuG III was considered one of the best tanks they had, even if it was mostly used in ambush.

For example, the Ferdinand (Elefant) tank destroyer had MASSIVE mechanical issues, specifically the drive gears had to be replaced every 500 km and it was a gas-electric hybrid, but it still maintained a 10:1 kill ratio and on the long, flat plains of Russia it could easily engage the T-34s and IS-2s with their superior numbers from a vast distance.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 27, 2013

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Fighter Pilot.jpg

ed:found out about this from a photo of a Sabre I saw in Valdosta two years back, I only wish this was a joke:

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 27, 2013

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Does anyone remember a video from the old thread that was called like MOST MARINE CORPS VIDEO EVER or something and it's a bunch of dudes gearing up all motivated and everything, and then it cuts to them dicking around in a tower and dancing and bullshitting with Iraqi kids?

NAPALM STICKS TO fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 27, 2013

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

CommieGIR posted:

Give them credit where credit is due, the Germans did well with their Assault Guns/Tank Destroyers during the war, in fact the StuG III was considered one of the best tanks they had, even if it was mostly used in ambush.

For example, the Ferdinand (Elefant) tank destroyer had MASSIVE mechanical issues, specifically the drive gears had to be replaced every 500 km and it was a gas-electric hybrid, but it still maintained a 10:1 kill ratio and on the long, flat plains of Russia it could easily engage the T-34s and IS-2s with their superior numbers from a vast distance.

The Nazis made assault guns because they were cheaper and faster to make than a tank and it allowed them to re-purpose obsolete tank hulls. Almost any situation where you could have an assault gun, you would rather have a real tank.

sausage paddy
Feb 25, 2009

Veins McGee posted:

The Nazis made assault guns because they were cheaper and faster to make than a tank and it allowed them to re-purpose obsolete tank hulls. Almost any situation where you could have an assault gun, you would rather have a real tank.

Thats kind of the point of an S-tank, though, is it lets a small country have a cheap, numerous deterrent against a larger country's armored forces. Any scenario that involves Sweden going on the offensive against Russia also involves an atomic clusterfuck which is no good for nobody. IMO the development of the S-tank was cold war thinking at its finest: find your weakness, build a counter against it, force any discussion of invasion into 'and then the world ends' territory.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

sausage paddy posted:

Thats kind of the point of an S-tank, though, is it lets a small country have a cheap, numerous deterrent against a larger country's armored forces. Any scenario that involves Sweden going on the offensive against Russia also involves an atomic clusterfuck which is no good for nobody. IMO the development of the S-tank was cold war thinking at its finest: find your weakness, build a counter against it, force any discussion of invasion into 'and then the world ends' territory.

That's the benefit of being Sweden. You don't have to plan for an offensive or fighting anywhere but where you chose to fight.

They had to buy some Leo 1s or Leo 2s in the 90s so they could participate in peacekeeping missions and EU bullshit.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

ed:found out about this from a photo of a Sabre I saw in Valdosta two years back, I only wish this was a joke:

I have a friend whose father was with the State Department in Georgia circa 2007-2010 or so. He told me George W. Bush is pretty much revered there, since he sorta stood up for them against the Russians and actually visited there. They named some major avenue in Tbilisi after him. The Albanians loved him too for similar reasons, though Clinton laid much of the groundwork for that.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT
I never post in here because I'm just a dumb civilian, but I figured if there was anywhere that this belonged it was here.

WW2 veteran's sketchbook from the war

A whole lot more here

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
That's awesome.
I wish my great uncles left me some kick rear end stuff from the war :(

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Mortabis posted:

I have a friend whose father was with the State Department in Georgia circa 2007-2010 or so. He told me George W. Bush is pretty much revered there, since he sorta stood up for them against the Russians and actually visited there. They named some major avenue in Tbilisi after him. The Albanians loved him too for similar reasons, though Clinton laid much of the groundwork for that.

I can corroborate that, I was in Georgia for four months in 2006. I believe GWB had recently done his big visit there, Georgia laid out the red carpet because they wanted to be in NATO really really badly (and still do I wager). They were still riding high on the Rose Revolution and things were generally looking up, and they really hated the Russians. When the South Ossetia thing broke out I was totally not surprised at all - the Georgians were really pissed over their breakaway regions. I'm sure when we found Al Qaeda in Pankisi Gorge they were thrilled as poo poo because of all the military assistance they got from us after that (which is why I was there - supporting the training program).

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I don't think the Georgia you guys are talking about has a Church's Chicken in it.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Slappy Moose posted:

I never post in here because I'm just a dumb civilian, but I figured if there was anywhere that this belonged it was here.

WW2 veteran's sketchbook from the war

A whole lot more here

There's a book called War Letters, assembled by Andrew Carroll, that has a few letters with illustrations like this (including some letters from the guy who wrote M*A*S*H). Usually, they're by artists who obviously have talent with no training, but in this case, I'm actually really amazed at the guy's aptitude, and obvious training. Reminds me a lot of Walt Kelly.

I know someone on the archive itself asked if he was an animator. I'd like to know that, as well.

Anyone else have artwork from guys who were, or still are, deployed in the modern wars? I feel like I don't see nearly as much of that kind of thing as I used to.

EDIT: wording.

EDIT 2: Alternatively, if I hunted some down myself, would that be admissible to post in this thread? (more importantly: would people want to see it?)

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 28, 2013

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

An Old Boot posted:

Anyone else have artwork from guys who were, or still are, deployed in the modern wars? I feel like I don't see nearly as much of that kind of thing as I used to.
I think the widespread use of the internet has allowed that sort of thing to move from "forgotten in a footlocker for 60 years" to "Hi, I'm Max Uriarte and this is Terminal Lance." I'd also imagine a lot of material from current soldiers is kept close to avoid the wrath of the 1Sgt.

quote:

EDIT 2: Alternatively, if I hunted some down myself, would that be admissible to post in this thread? (more importantly: would people want to see it?)
I'd like to see what you find.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world

Cool little image I found, those are PBRs on the side of the big boat, and Ithink an H-34 on the deck.

Video of a Huey gunship clearing an LZ and a FAP. Voiceover by one of the crew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjBSJV0yHA8

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/video/ricky-schroder-us-army-team-527366

Ahahahahah.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

movax posted:

Have any of the CoDs had female characters? There was that hacker chick from Black Ops II I guess, but she died really fast :(

There have been five playable female characters in the Call of Duty franchise, according to the Call of Duty wiki.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
The sound of some 130mm Finnish artillery landing is pretty amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUvcdKGD-FM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

That just doesn't look right.

Also:
Flamethrowers.

• Locked thread