Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Once you've read a bunch of Superman titles I recommend It's a Bird. Its a Vertigo series about a comic book author, his personal distaste for superman and his very troubling medical family history. Its semi-autobiographical I think. Its very good, a great reflection on the idea of Superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Geoff Johns and Gary Frank's story Superman and the Legion of Super Heroes was pretty great.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What's So Funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way? is one of my favorites. If you want an abridged version the animated adaptation on Netflix, Superman vs. The Elite, is decent.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Superman this week was really decent. Maybe Lobdel was writing for an artist who was really good at a superhero punch-up, but props. It was really enjoyable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BobbyDrake posted:

Nope, literally all of the Superman I have ever read is Death and Return, Red Son and Birthright.

Get Superman: Secret Identity.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

ImpAtom posted:

Get Superman: Secret Identity.

Yeah. Outside of All Star Superman this is always to best Superman book to get.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Rucka had an amazing run on Adventures of Superman back in the day that I felt was really great up until it got tied into some crossover stuff.

Mxy showed up every 90 days like clockwork.

The ending was kind of dumb but it was a lot of fun getting there.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
I have a soft spot for Kurt Busiek's other Superman epic, "Camelot Falls." It's an in-continuity story about Superman confronting a sorcerer that is convinced that civilization is destined to fall - and the longer Superman fights it, the harder and more painful the crash.

Carlos Pacheco draws it and while it's not as big a revelation as Stuart Immonen's art in Secret Identity, Pacheco's art is gorgeous. Plus: Kurt Busiek is the only writer alive who really gets the appeal of the Prankster: that guy in our world who throws pies at celebrities, as a supervillain.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I've never been a big comic book reader, beyond Alan Moore and some other stuff (a bit of Ultimate X-Men, Marvel 1602, Fullmetal Alchemist), but I'd heard really good things about All-Star Superman, and when I saw it in my local bookshop I decided to pick it up. I absolutely adored it! My only substantial complaint is that I wish there was more of it.

I had some expectations going in, which turned out to be false. rear end isn't really a Superman story so much as it is a collection of Superman stories loosely tied together by the plot thread of Superman's imminent death (is that a spoiler if it's the premise of the comic?). I was expecting a more modern mythic interpretation of Superman, a character study on what it means to be Superman; but in one of the most refreshing concepts I've seen in pop culture in forever, rear end is all about how kickin' rad it is to be Superman. It's 12 issues of everything great about Silver Age Superman played totally straight, and the result is a comic that's as fun and smart as it is heartwarming and life-affirming. It's one great big love letter to the Silver Age and to Superman, and a huge gently caress-you to everybody who ever called Superman boring.

Now, I have two criticisms, neither of which ruin it, but are still issues in my opinion. The first is that, in my opinion, the pacing is too rushed. At times, rear end feels like it's in a rush to show off the whole Superman highlight reel, even if that means that Jimmy Olsen's transformation into Doomsday lasts all of three pages. Decompressed storytelling this is not, and in the end it leaves me wishing the whole thing were twice as long; which may be more of a compliment than a criticism. The second issue I have is frankly nitpicking, but it was still distracting. That issue is Frank Quitely is an rear end man the tonally inappropriate sexualization of female characters. Looking through rear end again, it really doesn't happen much, given that there are actually a fair number of women depicted in the comic, but the few times it does happen, and the art takes extra effort to show off how perky and round Lois Lane and Nasthalthia's asses are, it's distracting. It just jars with the wholesome tone of the surrounding work, like somebody slipped some rule 34 art into Superman: The Animated Series.

However, neither of these issues seriously compromises the quality of All-Star Superman, and I absolutely recommend it to everybody, even non-comic book readers, hell, especially non-comic book readers. It's a fresh and fun take on Superman, substantially different from any other modern incarnation of the character you're likely to find. A must-read.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
That's really interesting; I don't think I've ever felt that way about Quitely's work before. There is one panel I remember, in the Fortress of Solitude issue, that has Lois undressing but that always struck me as a very de-sexualized portrayal of her, especially since (because of some blog post I read ages ago) in my mind it's always paired with All-Star Batman's famous "gimme an rear end, Jim!"[:nws: obviously] panel.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Adam Strange posted:

That's really interesting; I don't think I've ever felt that way about Quitely's work before. There is one panel I remember, in the Fortress of Solitude issue, that has Lois undressing but that always struck me as a very de-sexualized portrayal of her, especially since (because of some blog post I read ages ago) in my mind it's always paired with All-Star Batman's famous "gimme an rear end, Jim!"[:nws: obviously] panel.

I want to just clarify that I don't think rear end is some cavalcade of cheesecake. The chapter where Lois gets super-powers and her own super-suit is clearly deliberately non-sexual about it, even considering what she's wearing. The vast majority of the art is very, for lack of a better word, adult (here meaning mature and respectful, not sexually explicit). It's just that the two or three times women are clearly drawn with attention to their rear end, it's distracting because of the tone of the rest of the comic. I don't think it's awful or exploitative, just jarring. And again, more of a nitpick than anything. You could easily read the whole thing and not even notice it.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
My one sore spot with All-Star Superman is that third issue where Superman arm-wrestles for the hand of Lois Lane.

There's a lot to love about the Silver Age, but one thing that can stay in its coffin with the lid nailed down and garlic stuffed into its mouth is its, ah, very questionable take on women. Much of it stays out of All-Star, but this is a scene where any incarnation of Lois I truly like would have gone "ah, pardon me, excuse me - how about I pick who I'm going to go on a date with?" Instead they arm-wrestle for her hand.

And yes, she does flirt with all three of them, and that's problematic too. We don't see her choosing to go with Superman because of his compassion, his humility, or because he gets her singing flowers and cooked dinner just for them. It comes down to who can flex the hardest. It's so out of place in an otherwise peerless work.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Mike From Nowhere posted:

And yes, she does flirt with all three of them, and that's problematic too. We don't see her choosing to go with Superman because of his compassion, his humility, or because he gets her singing flowers and cooked dinner just for them. It comes down to who can flex the hardest. It's so out of place in an otherwise peerless work.
She had already chosen Superman, she was just humoring the other two and intentionally trying to make Superman jealous for a moment to see his reaction.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Doesn't she even say exactly that? Didn't she also say it was payback for pretending to be Clark Kent, who she still thought were two seperate people.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Anyone else noticed that Lobdell sneaked a reference to Doomsday on his last issue? Can't wait to see edited on the TPB :haw:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Die Laughing posted:

Doesn't she even say exactly that? Didn't she also say it was payback for pretending to be Clark Kent, who she still thought were two seperate people.

Yeah, it's explicitly payback for the Clark Kent thing. She even goes to far as to say the Clark Kent charade is creepy, but then of course the whole "Clark Kent charade" is paid off with the glorious Luthor interview in prison.

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013
That entire prison sequence, as well as Clark tripping at the Daily Planet and saving the one guy by bumping into him, is my favorite part of rear end. I liked the idea that putting on the glasses didn't stop him from being Superman, he just saved people in a different way. I kinda wish there were stories about Clark Kent stopping corruption through his writing when lazer eyes won't cut it.

But that can't happen because there isn't a single problem that can't be fixed with lazer eyes.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

How did Luthor lose his left eyebrow in that sequence? On one page it's gone, then it's just suddenly missing. Also, Luthor giving himself the "Superman Swoosh" was a nice touch I only caught on second reading.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think it's singed off but I don't have my copy in front of me.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Anyone else noticed that Lobdell sneaked a reference to Doomsday on his last issue? Can't wait to see edited on the TPB :haw:

What was it?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Once again Adventures of Superman is awesome and easily the best Superman of the month.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

DStecks posted:

How did Luthor lose his left eyebrow in that sequence? On one page it's gone, then it's just suddenly missing. Also, Luthor giving himself the "Superman Swoosh" was a nice touch I only caught on second reading.

That part is one of those rare moments in comics where I just want to sperg out and shove the book in some random person's face saying "look! look how much this guy understands the characters he is writing!!!" The idea that Luthor sees himself as Superman is just so perfect and now probably someone will tell me that Morrison wasn't even the first person to use it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

DStecks posted:

I think it's alluded to when he's talking about testing the sonic drill, or it could just be that the accident that made him bald also made him lose his eyebrows. And I believe he wipes his forehead with his sleeve, and it accidently wipes away his drawn on eyebrow.

Gave my friend my copy of rear end, and I've been meaning to buy the collected edition.

EDIT: Since we're sharing favorite parts: The whole Superwoman issue is my favorite, and the kiss on the moon was my favorite moment. Not just romance, but super romance.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 27, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Spaceman Bill posted:

What was it?

This panel

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Here is an awesome move that DC is doing. It also has some amazing Superman stories
http://www.floatingworldcomics.com/main/2013/05/15/adventures-of-superman-benefit-for-all-out-with-writer-jeff-parker/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Well poo poo. Now I need to step up my game. I'm going to donate a check for our total sales of AoS #1 out of my personal funds.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

that article posted:

I also spoke with Floating World Comics’ Jason Leivian, who—like Chicago’s Challengers Comics—has found a pretty fantastic solution: Yes, he’ll be selling the issue, but 100 percent of Floating World’s proceeds from the book will be going to “All Out or another LGBT charity organization.”

“While I feel that a financial boycott may hit DC’s bottom line a little harder,” Leivian says, “I like that there has been a large public response to this story and I’d like to spin it in the opposite direction by using this controversy to directly support organizations Orson Scott Card would be opposed to.”

Rhyno posted:

Well poo poo. Now I need to step up my game. I'm going to donate a check for our total sales of AoS #1 out of my personal funds.

I really love this response since the typical defeatist reaction to a boycott is "it won't make any difference so why bother", so turning it around into a positive opposing-force reaction to effect real change is like the perfect Superman solution.

Also I really hope they use that cover someday,

it's a great cover.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

To be clear, DC isn't doing it, the comic shop is.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

d00gZ posted:

To be clear, DC isn't doing it, the comic shop is.

Well DC should be, or at least do something.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Well DC should be, or at least do something.

They could start by not hiring Orson Scott Card.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McSpanky posted:

They could start by not hiring Orson Scott Card.

I hope they never publish his story.

I don't know if linking to Facebook works but I've made a makeshift post on my page about making a private donation based on the number of copies I sell here in the store.
https://www.facebook.com/ryancharleswhite?ref=tn_tnmn

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 29, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Also I really hope they use that cover someday,

it's a great cover.

It is the cover for Adventures of Superman 1.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

It is the cover for Adventures of Superman 1.

No it isn't. This is.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

No it isn't. This is.

It looks like its a variant

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Rhyno posted:

No it isn't. This is.

Rhyno posted:

No it isn't. This is.

That cover is an amazing illustration that shows Superman breaking out of actual chains. It's clearly supposed to be the cover to Superman Unchained #1.
M

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Rhyno posted:

No it isn't. This is.

This is the regular cover the other one is a variant.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I really hope Unchained #1 shows Supes obviously having an Adventure.

With Dinosaurs.

Please?

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
So I was rereading Morrison's Action Comics. Man it flows a lot better when you have issues in the correct order (4-7-8-5-6).

So something I am confused about is the treatment of Ferlin Nyxly, where basically the Legion hauls him off to jail for no reason. The End. Even Lois Lane remarks that it is unjust. Seems like an odd thing for Grant Morrison of all people to do.

I mean, it was remarked that he was a part of Vyndktvx. And given this plus the cyclical nature of 5D life, with Nyxly dying in childbirth, causing Mxyzptlk to become the Kingthing Bprxz and ignore his male children in favour of his daughter Nyxly, then Mxyzptlk is both Vyndktvx's rival and father. But it just seems like an odd inclusion in the story.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
The Dan Jurgens variant of Superman Unchained #1 features Super-Mullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
The red trunks are showing up much more often these days--good.

• Locked thread