Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Autumncomet posted:

Hell, if that translation is accurate, how did the titans cross water in the first place?

I don't think titans need to breath, and while they're heavy, they aren't dense. I doubt any could sink anywhere near the aphotic zone, so they'd still receive some sunlight during the day. With all this in mind, a titan could probably survive indefinitely, even in a large body of water.

And if enough titans tried to swim/walk/flail across the ocean, it's reasonable that at least some would make it.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!
My guess is that humans on this side of the water were transformed, much as we already saw at Connie's village.

Sasquatch Titan could be from the original continent, I guess?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This line's translation is pretty awkward: "In the new world, great walls had originally been prepared." In trying to parse what that actually meant, I remembered what the walls were made of. So they sailed to a new continent that was free of titans, and built a wall made of titans? To me, combined with "At this time, most of humanity had been annihilated, but the majority of this was at the hands of their fellow humans," this implies that titans were human made in some way, and the refugees were simply the losers in a war between humans, where titans were likely weapons used on both sides. The refugees then used the last of their titans to make the walls in a vain hope to live in safety for the rest of time.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This line's translation is pretty awkward: "In the new world, great walls had originally been prepared." In trying to parse what that actually meant, I remembered what the walls were made of. So they sailed to a new continent that was free of titans, and built a wall made of titans?

Nothing in the sentence implies that they built the wall. In fact it says the opposite: もともと (originally; by nature; from the start) and the verb is passive.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

genericnick posted:

Nothing in the sentence implies that they built the wall. In fact it says the opposite: もともと (originally; by nature; from the start) and the verb is passive.

Well, I was thinking that was a possibility but the awkward translation confused me. Welp, that disproves my entire theory, then. So the walls were there and the refugees just found them and hopped in? I guess it probably seemed like a smart idea at the time. Also makes the whole thing way more mysterious. Seriously, what the hell.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
What if the ships that vanished on the way across the water actually made it there, and the passengers were forced to become the wall Titans?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!
It could be that the text represents an official version of history, with the origin of the wall glossed over.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
That can of tuna that Ymir read was from the old world.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
So, I just reread the whole thing. Apart from misremembering pretty much the whole timeline, what bothered me the most was I didn't remember where Eren learned that he had to hurt his hand to transform. Well, it turns out he doesn't remember either:

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/17/12

But he does remember his father telling him about it:

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/10/64

"Their memories"? whose memories? and why memories? how? This is some Amigara Fault poo poo here: the transfiguration, the predestination, the ancestral memories, people entombed in a rock wall. Human-titans are fighting someone else's war, probably? a war they inherited. In fact, what's up with Reiner's "there's no need to wipe out all the humans within the walls anymore"?

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/42/14

Why not? what changed? was it the revelation that someone is turning people into titans? was it the appearance of the hairy titan? Both Reiner and Bertolt seemed to react to those events as if they knew their significance, they know what's up with Hairy (is their mission over because they know someone or something else will wipe out the humans?). And why didn't they seek revenge against Ymir for killing their... father? guardian? Are they still just following orders, maybe? is she more useful as a prisoner?

A little detail about the human-titan faction: they are not organized. They are probably "just" a small terrorist faction. Why do I think this? when asked by Connie, Bertolt specifically describes young Reiner as a "warrior" (in contrast to a "soldier"):

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/39/36

poo poo, this is important enough that the chapter is titled "Soldier", and the chapter where Reiner reveals himself as the armored titan is titled "Warrior". The series is very serious about the meaning of being a soldier, and this weird emphasis on "warrior" (I don't think anyone else has ever been described as such in the whole series) is guaranteed to be super-important. It tells us, at the very least, that there isn't a military organization behind the human-titans, so there can't be too many of them either

And what's so special about the wound that causes the transformation, anyway? something is up with it all right:

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/10/88

The carcass that Eren conjured to stop the cannonball poured out of the wound

To top it off, my favorite mystery:

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/38/31

Canned herring from another world. This is a serious huge loving deal. You can't just craft or tinker canned, labeled food: there is, or used to be, an entirely separate industrial civilization. Considering that the shelf life of canned food cannot possibly extend to a century, and that Ymir didn't dismiss it as rotten, the other civilization still exists, or existed until very recently. Are they walled up too? why did they kick out and "kill" Ymir?

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/40/39

Was it because she was born a titan?

What I'm hoping we'll see in the next issues, besides the obvious stuff:
  • What does Historia know of her family's secret? will she talk? will she marry poor Reiner already?
  • Will they attempt to free one of the wall titans, "liberate" the human from its neck and interrogate him? I would
  • Will someone follow Hairy's tracks?
  • Will someone debrief the survivors of castle Utgard already? they have seen Hairy, nocturnal titans, infighting between titans: all sorts of game-changing poo poo. Let's not forget the canned food labeled in an unknown language (although I think everyone who knew is either dead or a titan)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
In this week's episode, is the bearded rear end in a top hat ranting about treason while running away the same bearded rear end in a top hat who's going to rant about treason while trying to kill Armin, Mikasa and Eren with cannons? And if so does he ever make another appearance?

hackbunny posted:

Canned herring from another world. This is a serious huge loving deal. You can't just craft or tinker canned, labeled food: there is, or used to be, an entirely separate industrial civilization. Considering that the shelf life of canned food cannot possibly extend to a century, and that Ymir didn't dismiss it as rotten, the other civilization still exists, or existed until very recently. Are they walled up too? why did they kick out and "kill" Ymir?

Actually properly canned food can last over a century, provided the casing doesn't get damaged in storage. It might taste like poo poo, or it might taste ok, but nutritionally and bacteria wise it'll be fine. Canning is a hell of a preservation method.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 27, 2013

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gyges posted:

It's funny because in retrospect almost every single thing any of the three say is suspicious as gently caress. Also, Bertolt pretty much looks like he's going to break out into a totally nonchalant, cartoon style I'm not doing anything, whistle at any moment.

It's really good because you just assume it's filler the first time around.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
I actually think that there is a possibility the injection Eren was given may not have anything at all to do with his titan powers. I think Eren may have known allot more about what's going on at some point and the purpose of the injection was to scramble his memories for some reason.

I recall that during the flashback to it happening Eren's father mentions that the injection will make him forget things. After that he gives the "their memories will help you" line. Eren having his memory messed with to some extent could also account for those weird flashes he gets occasionally.

What if that girl from the dream at the start who looks like Mikasa isn't her at all, but rather someone else he used he used to know? Those tears could be him remembering the last time he saw her. But then he wakes up and forgets all about it again.

I'm not really sure where I was going with this...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

hackbunny posted:

poo poo, this is important enough that the chapter is titled "Soldier", and the chapter where Reiner reveals himself as the armored titan is titled "Warrior". The series is very serious about the meaning of being a soldier, and this weird emphasis on "warrior" (I don't think anyone else has ever been described as such in the whole series) is guaranteed to be super-important. It tells us, at the very least, that there isn't a military organization behind the human-titans, so there can't be too many of them either

You shouldn't take too much stock in the individual wording of things, with the translation being as shoddy as it is.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

hackbunny posted:

This is some Amigara Fault poo poo here: the transfiguration, the predestination, the ancestral memories, people entombed in a rock wall.
Ugh. Ugggggghhh

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

hackbunny posted:

A little detail about the human-titan faction: they are not organized. They are probably "just" a small terrorist faction. Why do I think this? when asked by Connie, Bertolt specifically describes young Reiner as a "warrior" (in contrast to a "soldier"):

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/39/36

I'm pretty sure the point they're making here is that a "warrior" fights with honor and conviction for something he personally believes in, while a "soldier" fights for what he's told to. In some cultures, being a warrior is seen as superior as you still retain your free will to choose what you die for.

hackbunny posted:

And what's so special about the wound that causes the transformation, anyway? something is up with it all right:

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/10/88

The carcass that Eren conjured to stop the cannonball poured out of the wound

There's nothing special about the wound, the transformation springs from the blood. This is why unarmored human-titans are lacking skin and generally look like the inside-parts of people. It seems to be that natural titans have skin, though, and that natural titans who become human can retain skin when they transform.

hackbunny posted:

To top it off, my favorite mystery:

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/38/31

Was it because she was born a titan?

As someone else said, canned found can last a really long time. The fact that Ymir could read the old writings gave her away as a titan, because only they should still remember how to read the old language. It might even be that the others of the Titan Trio couldn't read it if pressed.

I'm pretty sure Ymir was born a titan, or is otherwise a "natural" human-titan given she looks much more like a normal titan when transformed than any of the other human-titans. It might be more accurate to say that while the others are humans who can take on the form of a titan, Ymir is a titan that can take on the form of a human.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ I don't think she really looks that similar. She looks like some sort of troll thing, whereas most "regular" titans resemble caricatures of humans much more.

hackbunny posted:

My take on the warrior thing and what Reiner/Berthold say to each other is that Reiner used to be more devoted to what his duties are (as the armored titan, that is), but after living with the people inside the wall for a few years he no longer has the same conviction to carry out his mission. This would explain why Reiner says "If only I'd never learned about those fools' existence, I'd've never become the lovely pathetic bastard I am now"; he now has some emotional attachment to the people inside the wall and has become "soft" as a result. Berthold has noticed this, which is why he says that Reiner used to be a warrior (more of one, at least).

I have a feeling that the reason Reiner/Berthold attacked the wall(s) is going to be something pretty legitimate/convincing. Reiner's confusion even after living with (and having a real emotional connection with; we're shown his actual thoughts on multiple occasions) the people inside the wall makes me think that his (and Berthold/Annie's*) reason for attacking is something important. If he was just evil, he probably wouldn't have felt that way.

The next chapter, and their probable conversation with Eren, can't come soon enough.

*Regarding Annie, she does come off as pretty bad. When trying to capture Eren for the first time she does some pretty hosed up things, like grabbing the cord of one of the soldiers and killing him by spinning it really fast. I don't think we ever see Reiner/Berthold killing people just for the hell of it, even if destroying the wall resulted in thousands of deaths.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ I don't think she really looks that similar. She looks like some sort of troll thing, whereas most "regular" titans resemble caricatures of humans much more.

I would say she looks considerably more like a regular titan than any of the other four human-titans, though, by far.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I would say she looks considerably more like a regular titan than any of the other four human-titans, though, by far.

Yeah, I don't think she became a titan (if she wasn't one to begin with) in the same way that Eren/Reiner/etc did. I just think that she also doesn't look much like regular titans.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Ytlaya posted:

I have a feeling that the reason Reiner/Berthold attacked the wall(s) is going to be something pretty legitimate/convincing. Reiner's confusion even after living with (and having a real emotional connection with; we're shown his actual thoughts on multiple occasions) the people inside the wall makes me think that his (and Berthold/Annie's*) reason for attacking is something important. If he was just evil, he probably wouldn't have felt that way.
This sounds more likely than referring to him joining the scouts; a "soldier" in that Reiner was just following whatever plan the human-titans had but no longer believing in it

Jackard fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 27, 2013

Bob Moog sex tape
Aug 26, 2004

I would also venture to say that Annie was either their leader or someone higher up in the human-titan hierarchy. Now that she's out of the way, Reiner finally made the rash decision to tell Erin that he and Bertholdt were the titans that attacked 5 years ago and that they have no time to explain because they have to go like, right now.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Personally I would say that was more because he was hurting badly, he had maybe ten or fifteen minutes until his wound started steaming, and he had nowhere to go to hide from the others until he could let off some steam, literally and figuratively.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Did the anime make some weird minor changes from the manga? I don't mean new material, but stuff like Mikasa doing an embroidery instead of getting a tattoo, or Armin's grandfather getting killed instead of his parents. Unless I'm misremembering/misunderstanding something, or these are some kinds of translation issues...

As for the weird wall line, is it maybe saying something like "great walls were in place for us"? I don't speak Japanese, this is just grammar conjecture.

I'm still partial to the idea that the titans are some sort of bio-warfare experiment gone wrong (I'd even suggest solar-powered nanotech, but maybe that's too out of place), particularly as that might explain why the vast majority are male-type. Still doesn't do anything for major questions though, like what the hell is Sasquatch and how/why/if he is turning villagers into titans.

Or what the hell his deal is, anyway. Strolls in, makes some titans, grabs a sample of 3d gear, and leaves; but not before being a little monkey poo poo and throwing rocks. :confused:

Culinary Bears fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 27, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I don't think she became a titan (if she wasn't one to begin with) in the same way that Eren/Reiner/etc did. I just think that she also doesn't look much like regular titans.

I'm wondering if maybe she's not a "real" titan, with most of the titans we've seen being man-made in some way. This might also tie into that talking titan from before.

She could also just be one of the first experimental human-titans, I guess, but if she is the same titan what ate up Reiner and Bert's village then it seems more fitting for her to have always been a titan of some kind and then made the transition into humanity.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'm pretty sure the point they're making here is that a "warrior" fights with honor and conviction for something he personally believes in, while a "soldier" fights for what he's told to. In some cultures, being a warrior is seen as superior as you still retain your free will to choose what you die for.

Exactly, and given how depressingly realistic this comic is, no government would give a dangerous and important mission like "exterminate the humans within the walls" to three kid warriors, despite it happening again and again in all sorts of fiction. If Reiner and Bertolt were trained (i.e. indoctrinated) like Annie was, it's not just a mission, it's a matter of honor and probably blood, which is totally the opposite of how a military organization operates - it's just too unreliable

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'm pretty sure Ymir was born a titan, or is otherwise a "natural" human-titan given she looks much more like a normal titan when transformed than any of the other human-titans. It might be more accurate to say that while the others are humans who can take on the form of a titan, Ymir is a titan that can take on the form of a human.

Unless she is paraphrasing a lot:

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/40/28

Who names titans when they are born, if she's titan-born? Who are "them" and why did "they" think her fate was sealed?

How did she "die" and whom did this make happy? I guess it's the "them" above. It sounds a lot like she was exiled for being a human-titan, or maybe the wrong kind of human-titan (titan racism?)

Oh and besides

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/40/25

Why and how did she get to the innermost land?

e:
VVVVVVVV

Cthulhuchan posted:

I dunno, that was probably one of the kindest deaths any of the soldiers experienced. You'd black out from acceleration forces so quickly you wouldn't even feel your death.

Sadly, no, the acceleration has to go feet-to-head (like when you're sitting in a roller coaster doing a loop), so that your brain is drained of blood and you just fall asleep and then you die. He was being spun by the 3D gear, which attaches to the hips. He was folded in two, backwards: not only the acceleration pointed away from his head turning it into a blood fountain, but he probably also suffered a broken spine. Not that Annie gave a gently caress about it

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 28, 2013

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Ytlaya posted:

like grabbing the cord of one of the soldiers and killing him by spinning it really fast

I dunno, that was probably one of the kindest deaths any of the soldiers experienced. You'd black out from acceleration forces so quickly you wouldn't even feel your death.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!
I can't help but wonder if Ymir doesn't have something to do with Reiner and Bertholt attacking the walls. It could be that Ymir was recognized as a non-standard Titan- she doesn't look that much like a normal Titan, she's loving ripped just like she is as a human. Whatever she did might have been interpreted as an attack by the people in the walls on Reiner and Bertholt's people.

I wonder if there aren't also other groups of survivors using different methods to keep away Titans. Reiner and Bertholt's people could be from one of those.

Annie seemed to be indoctrinated from a young age, but she isn't idealistic. That may be why she's a "soldier" rather than a "warrior." My take is that she hates her role in life, but feels that she has no choice. She does things like killing that scout cruelly out of a sort of ironic detachment. As Armin says at one point, she really is a good person. She doesn't know how to translate that into action, though, and probably thinks that it's impossible.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
If she wasn't a titan then way did the random mindless titan bow to that girl and call her "Ymir" though?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

hackbunny posted:

Unless she is paraphrasing a lot:

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/40/28

Who names titans when they are born, if she's titan-born? Who are "them" and why did "they" think her fate was sealed?

How did she "die" and whom did this make happy? I guess it's the "them" above. It sounds a lot like she was exiled for being a human-titan, or maybe the wrong kind of human-titan (titan racism?)

Oh and besides

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/40/25

Why and how did she get to the innermost land?

I don't know if you're trying to debate me here or not, but I'm not sure how any of your points counter what I said because what I said is more of a shot-in-the-dark theory. We don't know any of that yet, though there are possibilities. There does, for one, seem to be a community of human-titans beyond the walls. Maybe even a community of humans.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Pensive posted:

I actually think that there is a possibility the injection Eren was given may not have anything at all to do with his titan powers. I think Eren may have known allot more about what's going on at some point and the purpose of the injection was to scramble his memories for some reason.
The injection was MMR and it gave Eren autism so he'd have a single-minded hatred of titans. :shepicide:

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.

Undead Unicorn posted:

If she wasn't a titan then way did the random mindless titan bow to that girl and call her "Ymir" though?

Conjecture: Sasquash and Ymir are the same family/tribe. The variation of titans is huge; it's not unreasonable that he is an exile from this tribe. Possibly "Ymir" may not even be a given name, but a name of the family/race that Ymir took instead.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Whelp, I just caught up on the manga, which makes me sad, but hey - now I can join in on the thread spoiler free.
I'm usually (read: always) an anime guy, so it is funny to see that while the anime threads are litered by manga spoilers, the manga threads also spend a disproportionate amount of time talking about the anime.

Sorry in advance for the long, poorly organized post.

To answer your wall questions, 用意された is definitely "were prepared". It is passive and not "constructed" or "built" or anything, literally "prepared." But don't forget that this could all be falsified scripture from the cult, my leading theory.

I am hoping the walls are some kind of Majora's Mask Ode to Giants thing where the giants came together to protect humanity from themselves or something.

:10bux: says titans (I choose to inconsistently refer to them as either titans or giants) are manifestations of human anger or something, but then again the show hasn't been particularly metaphorical until now so maybe not. My leading theory is that the skin-outside-type titans are made from masses of humans like Connie's village by some kind of FMA alchemy.

Who is the "rage titan" I see some reference to? The one that talked to Ilse in the side story? They did a fantastic job locating that notebook, by the way.

Did someone already mention Ymir as a metaphor? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ymir

And as far as "warrior" and "soldier" go: "兵士" is translated as "soldier" and "戦士" as "warrior". If you Google image search them, you should be able to see the difference in connotation. Soldier is indeed more of an organized thing. I forget where I was going with that.

Also, is the mangareader links just not working for me? Might be my location...

Anyway this show is fantastic with its cliffhangers and plot-twists. Looking forward to that basement.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Shadow0 posted:

Who is the "rage titan" I see some reference to? The one that talked to Ilse in the side story? They did a fantastic job locating that notebook, by the way.

Pretty sure "rage titan" is just a nickname for Eren-Titan, probably from before the reveal.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The translation is mostly accurate, though the bit about the walls is a bit ambiguous in the original Japanese so who knows if that translation is what Isayama meant. The sentence doesn't necessarily mean that the walls were just there and nobody knows who made them--it just means that the walls were built before humanity arrived in their boats. There's nothing that specifically says that the humans who arrived on the boats were the only humans to ever live in the new world, though.

Anyway, I finally decided to get off my lazy arse and write down my thoughts about Ymir, since there's been a lot of Ymir talk going on. Part of this is more or less translation of a theory that's making the rounds in Japan, with some of my own conjecture added on.

So, here's what we know about Ymir:
1. She turns into a titan.
2. She knows how to read a dead language.
3. She knows what herring is, and has tasted it before.
4. She claims to have been hated simply for existing, and that she had to die so that many others could be happy. She also once wished she'd never been born, but at present she's got a second chance at life, which she gained by sheer luck. She also said that if she were born again, she wanted to live for herself, implying that in her first life, she hadn't.

So, here's the theory.
Ymir is old, as old as the humans who crossed the sea to the new world. Whether she was part of the humans fleeing the giants, or she was a member of the natives who lived there before the other humans came. Either way, she and others like her were forced to become the three great walls, and they remained that way for years and years until somehow (most likely by Bertolt kicking a hole in the wall), Ymir was freed. After some time wandering/surviving on her own, she came to join the rest of the people inside Wall Rose, just like Reiner, Bertolt, and Annie did.

A little reasoning:
The dead language that Ymir can read is is actually inverted katakana just like the "historical text" Isayama put on the covers. The writing on the can of fish is the katakana for "nishin," or herring in Japanese. Not only can Ymir read the stuff, she's actually had herring. Herring is a saltwater fish, and therefore would be impossible to find inside the landlocked walls. But if Ymir had lived before walls were made, before the giants ever came, when people still lived near the ocean and fished, and had the technology to create tin cans to store food, that wouldn't have been a problem.

Everything in (6) makes a lot more sense if she was around back then, and the death that Ymir claims to have suffered was being forced to be part of the walls. It would explain why she was hated simply for existing, because she could turn into a titan. She "died" to make the walls, in other words so that many other people could live without fearing the titans, and it's implied that this wasn't a choice she made of her own free will, because she didn't live her first life for herself. Of course, her second life would be the new chance she got due to the astronomical luck that out of all the places in the wall to destroy, Bertolt chose the place where she was entombed. Incidentally, if she realizes that, that could mean that she might think of Bertolt as her savior.

Incidentally, this might explain why Ymir looks so different from the other human titans: either her transformation is natural, or whatever was used to make her and the other wall titans into titans was far more crude than whatever process Eren and the others underwent.

Problems:
This is where things get shaky. The first thing involves the titan that talked to Ilse. What did it mean by mentioning Ymir and her "people"? Here are a couple of explanations I can think of, neither of which really fit in as well as the stuff before.

The first option is that it actually thought Ilse was Ymir, based on the slight physical resemblance. That leaves the question of what it meant by "Ymir's people," though. Anyway, in this case it means that the Titan actually recognized Ymir, which doesn't support the theory unless it too used to be human all that time ago before X happened and it went feral, and it just happened to be someone who once knew Ymir. Even assuming that Ymir was some sort of royalty or otherwise important public figure (as might be surmised by the -sama honorific used), that's a bit of a stretch for me.

The second is that Ymir isn't a given name, but is instead a family name. The name of a clan to which Ymir belonged, that is, who were all conscripted to make the wall. So the titan doesn't recognize Ilse as Ymir, but as a human, and when the titan says "Ymir's people," it means the people inside the walls made of the clan of Ymir. The problem with this line of thought is, if it didn't recognize her as Ymir and instead just as a normal human, why did the Titan not just eat her like all titans do to people?

It also doesn't explain why or how Ymir ate Bertolt and Reiner's friends/family, an event which presumably took place before the walls ever fell. It's a pretty big problem, which is a shame since the rest of the theory works pretty nicely in my opinion.

So what do you guys think? Plausible? Armin ate Eren's mom level? Somewhere in between?

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
I'm still having a lot of fun with this series!

At a recent convention in Portland,OR they aired a marathon of the episodes so it was even more fun watching them a second time in a small crowd of people who hadn't seen or read AoT before.

The confusion during episode 5 was the best.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 30, 2017

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Any "Ymir is actually really old" theory is going to hit a roadblock once you take into consideration that Ymir has spent years around the same people while maintaining a teenager's appearance. If they were all in their mid 20s it wouldn't look all that odd that she hasn't aged, but if you're in your mid teens you're expected to look fairly different after three years.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

All the other theories posted above are pretty plausible except the age part.

Maybe Ymir is of normal age but comes from an island. An island that has no titans and can fish the ocean for herring etc. To get off the island they were experimenting with human / titan tech and Ymir was one of the subjects. Somewhere along the way she did something bad to get herself kicked out of the village. Maybe her village was trying to make peace with titans somehow?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Pretty sure "rage titan" is just a nickname for Eren-Titan, probably from before the reveal.

Yes, Eren was 'rage titan' because he was so angry and brutal when he first transformed.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TTBF posted:

Any "Ymir is actually really old" theory is going to hit a roadblock once you take into consideration that Ymir has spent years around the same people while maintaining a teenager's appearance. If they were all in their mid 20s it wouldn't look all that odd that she hasn't aged, but if you're in your mid teens you're expected to look fairly different after three years.

If you don't age while in Titan form, or if she went feral and thus didn't age, there's no reason Ymir couldn't simply be aging normally now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I don't like the "Ymir is a Wall Titan" theory because if Ymir was capable of using the hardening technique she probably wouldn't have sat there and got eaten and torn apart so easily by the horde of titans when she transformed. Aside from that it's really compelling -- timescale wise, Bertholdt and Reiner would've been kids when they knocked down the walls and, upon transforming back to humans to blend in, suddenly this crazy human piloted titan comes out of nowhere and starts attacking stuff near them. So Bertholdt and Reiner are running away from something and the only way out is through the second gate -- Reiner transforms to the armored titan, breaks it down, and they go about their mission from there.