Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Union has been looking for people to go to San Juan and work on Horizons cranes. It would be pretty sweet, I wish this opportunity had come up years ago but now I am looking at settling down in the Bay and as much fun as partying, hitting the beach and whoring around Puerto Rico is I will probably have to pass it up. The money should be tax free too.

If you really are serious about sailing 1st or Chief it's not too hard depending. Usually the main obstacle is getting on permanent with a company where there is upward movement. There are quite a few places where the firsts and chiefs stay for decades. If you want to sail tankers like OSG or ATC in the US you can snag a firsts job with a trip or two probation and then move up to chief if you have the license and can demonstrate ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

sharkytm posted:

Who are you working for? If you don't want it public, drop me an email at my username at gmail. I'm entering the same field as you (coming from oceanography), except the company I'm working for makes underwater robots that guide themselves.

Liquid Robotics, Inc

You working at Bluefin Robotics?

lightpole posted:

Union has been looking for people to go to San Juan and work on Horizons cranes. It would be pretty sweet, I wish this opportunity had come up years ago but now I am looking at settling down in the Bay and as much fun as partying, hitting the beach and whoring around Puerto Rico is I will probably have to pass it up. The money should be tax free too.

If you really are serious about sailing 1st or Chief it's not too hard depending. Usually the main obstacle is getting on permanent with a company where there is upward movement. There are quite a few places where the firsts and chiefs stay for decades. If you want to sail tankers like OSG or ATC in the US you can snag a firsts job with a trip or two probation and then move up to chief if you have the license and can demonstrate ability.

Last I heard ATC was seeking 1 A/E's and 2 A/E's. Pay isn't bad, and food is pretty drat good for ship food.

Fish Shalami fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 17, 2013

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
ATC, OSG, Horizon, APL and Waterman as well among others looking for 1sts and chiefs. Pay on the tankers is the same which is terrible and low. The only thing they had going for them was the pension multiplier which is now gone. The companies don't value labor especially quality experienced labor like they should. They forced terrible contracts on us and now can't get people to work for them.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Fish Shalami posted:

You working at Bluefin Robotics?
Hydroid

Drop me an email.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Had an interesting conversation with a 1st I sailed with a couple years ago. Union is losing more ships and the companies dont value the labor or time required to keep them sailing in decent condition. Also he is getting a divorce,

USCG sent me a laundry list of medical to do's to upgrade my license including a stress test where they inject you with a radioactive substance, have you do some exercise and take x rays. My doctor spent some time bitching about how they don't know what they are doing and apparently got in an argument with the doctor in charge of the stress test since the other doctor didn't believe him when he said I needed one and didn't want to give me one. They are extremely unhappy about the stuff the CG is making me do but can't do anything about it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Underwater robots...

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

lightpole posted:

Had an interesting conversation with a 1st I sailed with a couple years ago. Union is losing more ships and the companies dont value the labor or time required to keep them sailing in decent condition. Also he is getting a divorce,

USCG sent me a laundry list of medical to do's to upgrade my license including a stress test where they inject you with a radioactive substance, have you do some exercise and take x rays. My doctor spent some time bitching about how they don't know what they are doing and apparently got in an argument with the doctor in charge of the stress test since the other doctor didn't believe him when he said I needed one and didn't want to give me one. They are extremely unhappy about the stuff the CG is making me do but can't do anything about it.

That stress test does not sound safe. They should just see how hard you can squeeze a stress ball.

sharkytm posted:

Underwater robots...

That looks expensive. What's it measuring?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Stuff.

Sorry, can't get into details about the specifics. Its got side scan sonar, a camera, nav system, some water quality sensors, and some other stuff. Its a Remus 600, the spec sheet will give you some info: http://www.km.kongsberg.com/ks/web/nokbg0397.nsf/AllWeb/1BE833604CE513AEC12574AB0044BDF3/$file/remus600web.pdf

As for price, I'm not privy to those details, but you can certainly expect it to have 2 commas.

FilMoolah
May 30, 2010
Hows the market for someone who wants to get into chartering, ship brokerage?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

FilMoolah posted:

Hows the market for someone who wants to get into chartering, ship brokerage?

Working for an existing company or starting from the ground up?

FilMoolah
May 30, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Working for an existing company or starting from the ground up?

Working for an existing company?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

FilMoolah posted:

Working for an existing company?

Call around to the companies that interest you and see if they're hiring? I could see this being a very localized thing as far as market goes, and unless the spot market is in a thorough depression, it shouldn't affect the rate at which people retire or get replaced.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Just filled out a mountain of paperwork and a battery of tests for my 2nds. Hope the CG likes it. Need to renew my TWIC too but I just picked up a job on the East Coast on a 78 day run. I could make two trips but everything expires just before the end of the second trip.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Day 20something on the Lakes. I miss my deep sea cadet time!

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

shovelbum posted:

Is it true that on the lakes you don't say port/starboard but just left/right?

camino
Feb 23, 2006

shovelbum posted:

Day 3 of 35. I'm gonna lap you sucka.

Per posted:

Is it true that on the lakes you don't say port/starboard but just left/right?

Some of the old timers do, but the new union contracts require the companies to call the union hall. Now there's a mix of the two.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

It's port / starboard all the time on the Canadian side.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

FrozenVent posted:

Call around to the companies that interest you and see if they're hiring? I could see this being a very localized thing as far as market goes, and unless the spot market is in a thorough depression, it shouldn't affect the rate at which people retire or get replaced.

Nobody is retiring at the moment.

FilMoolah, whats your previous experience/quals (and location)? I might be able to point you in the right direction. Be warned, most places are still down to near skeleton crews and working the gently caress out of their operators.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Flying out this evening. See you on the dark side of the moon.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
Who's hanging out for the 'Captain Phillips' movie?

Why do radars in movies always go ping ping ping ping?

Phanos
Jul 24, 2006
So who made the sandwiches?
Anyone have any tips for joining the Merchant Marine after service in the US Navy? There's some sort of document called a Transcript of Sea Service that a bunch of places on online seem to mention but it turns out it isn't issued anymore or something. I did 4 1/2 years in the Navy, 3 1/2 years of which I spent on a submarine as a Electronic's Technician standing a bunch of different operational type watches (Helmsman, Lookout, Radar Operator, etc.) and well as maintaining and operating a variety of navigation equipment. I worked in the Navigation Department so I'm familiar with the COLREGs as well. Not sure if this experience counts for anything but any assistance would be appreciated.

camino
Feb 23, 2006
I was a RC divver on a sub, and I looked into getting my qualm transferred over. On the engineering side it wouldn't amount to much. Not sure on the deck side.

In the end, a maritime academy + the GI bill wound up being the highest paying solution.

Not much help, sorry.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

pazrs posted:

Who's hanging out for the 'Captain Phillips' movie?

Why do radars in movies always go ping ping ping ping?

I was theorizing earlier that the chief made the deck cadet do the noises to give them something to do after making the tea.

Phanos
Jul 24, 2006
So who made the sandwiches?

camino posted:

I was a RC divver on a sub, and I looked into getting my qualm transferred over. On the engineering side it wouldn't amount to much. Not sure on the deck side.

In the end, a maritime academy + the GI bill wound up being the highest paying solution.

Not much help, sorry.

Well I live in Honolulu at the moment and I'm not willing to fly to the mainland to attend a maritime academy. I was mostly looking for temporary work because the university I'm attending is going to start charging me non-resident tuition that I can't afford and I thought I could take a year off and go back to sea until I gain residency in the state. Thanks for the advice though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

That was the first thing I said when I saw the trailer too... loving beeps. Then I started thinking, how annoying would it be if the radar beeped everytime it swept a target? Five or ten targets, twenty sweeps a minute? Plus shoreline, what's that, a goddamn tone?

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BUUUUUUUUZZZ BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BUZZZZZ - I'd go nuts in like ten minutes. Like spending four hours staring into a radar isn't boring, imagine with the beeping. Still better than Whale Wars going all dramatic and zooming on a CPA / TCPA alarm. Uh dudes, you can literally set that off anytime you want so...

I wonder what impact the movie's going to have on recruiting. Titanic was astonishingly positive for my alma matter, led to their biggest year ever, so it seems any publicity is good publicity.

camino
Feb 23, 2006

Phanos posted:

Well I live in Honolulu at the moment and I'm not willing to fly to the mainland to attend a maritime academy. I was mostly looking for temporary work because the university I'm attending is going to start charging me non-resident tuition that I can't afford and I thought I could take a year off and go back to sea until I gain residency in the state. Thanks for the advice though.

Probably not a great option if you're looking for temporary work. You'll need a Merchant Mariner's Credential, a physical, and an STCW class just to get a job. That's probably about $2000 out of pocket, and any credentials you could transfer over from The Nav would just be icing on top of that.

I'm pretty sure there's an Seafarers International Union hall out there in Honolulu. It might be worth knocking on their door to get a solid answer in what you need to do.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

That was the first thing I said when I saw the trailer too... loving beeps. Then I started thinking, how annoying would it be if the radar beeped everytime it swept a target? Five or ten targets, twenty sweeps a minute? Plus shoreline, what's that, a goddamn tone?

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BUUUUUUUUZZZ BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BUZZZZZ - I'd go nuts in like ten minutes. Like spending four hours staring into a radar isn't boring, imagine with the beeping. Still better than Whale Wars going all dramatic and zooming on a CPA / TCPA alarm. Uh dudes, you can literally set that off anytime you want so...

I wonder what impact the movie's going to have on recruiting. Titanic was astonishingly positive for my alma matter, led to their biggest year ever, so it seems any publicity is good publicity.

Eh, I took that as dramatic licence. I was more stunned at the part where the captain calls because he has literally no idea what to do in the event of nasty people coming his way. Call for help, that's the best thing! Oh wait, you just failed your orals because you can't make decisions.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Do any of the other US academies have a three-year program for people with a bachelors like Great Lakes does?

Stratafyre
Apr 3, 2009

:stare: :supaburn: :j:

Officer Sandvich posted:

Do any of the other US academies have a three-year program for people with a bachelors like Great Lakes does?

When I went there, SUNY Maritime had a Day Student/Graduate program that was effectively like that. Formation once a week and you don't have to do much of the random regimental bullshit. You still wear the uniform and go on cruises as per normal.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I might be wrong, but it seems like American sea training is almost... quasi-military or something. It's weird as hell to me. All this talk of regimental and uniforms and poo poo...

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Two Finger posted:

I might be wrong, but it seems like American sea training is almost... quasi-military or something. It's weird as hell to me. All this talk of regimental and uniforms and poo poo...

Does seem very different to my Aussie training. I'm an Engineer but the only time I saw a fub in uniform was greeting a pilot at the ladder.

Although the Customs guys at my college wear uniforms to class.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Costa Concordia accident investigation report is out, this article has a link.

Haven't read it yet because it's 181 pages, but I got a feeling it's gonna be pretty :suspense:

Edit: Oh Jesus Christ

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 24, 2013

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

I can't believe I spent $5 on this title.
I know what I'm doing until lunch :)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

StopShootingMe posted:

I know what I'm doing until lunch :)

It might be the gigantic double cheeseburger with bacon I had for lunch, but I was nauseous as heck by the end of the narrative portion.

That's way before you get to the bodies at the bottom of the elevator shaft by the way.

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

I can't believe I spent $5 on this title.
Welp, poor English aside I think I can get a pretty good picture of what happened from that report :psyduck:

I was withholding judgment on the ship's master, but it looks like he comprehensively hosed up at pretty well every stage of the whole incident, and got some people killed as a result. I'd say he should never go to sea again and should go to jail for a while, but that's for the courts to decide.

Stupid, arse-covering, cowardly dunce of an old man. Trying to cover up the grounding, turning down help, "co-ordinating the rescue from ashore" after "falling into a lifeboat". Some of the other officers should probably have their tickets suspended, though it looks like the engineers did their jobs well enough, at least.

I mean, once you have gone aground you sound the muster and start checking for damage. Once the engineers tell you that at least four compartments are flooding, you abandon ship. You don't lie to the shore authorities and your DPA and tell them it's just a blackout.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

This may be a daft question regarding career advice but maybe some of you can give me some insight. Currently an engine Cadet in the UK so they have me on the foundation degree course. My sponsor company has flat out said they won't pay for me to do the top up to the full degree and has indicated to the deck cadets that they would be unlikely to enforce the 2 years or so we are supposedly bound to work for them at the end of the cadetship. They haven't said anything to the engine side but it's not a stretch to assume the same for us. The question really is how much value would I actually get out of topping up this foundation degree into the full honours degree in terms of a career at sea and ashore in comparison to not doing it? If the company is ready to cut us all loose as it seems and I have the means of paying for it myself would it be worth my time? It seems like a good thing to have given that I will likely end up working ashore down the line. It's not even a particularly huge amount of work to get on top of the FD.

The only reason I would see not to chase it is if really it is worth dick all. Would I be better served trying to get my first ship as a 4th ASAP either with the company or someone else if they cut me loose? The company is Maersk for the record, I would also be interested if any of you guys have anything to say about working for them in comparison to heading elsewhere.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
I don't know what the situation is like in the UK, but in Aus the degree/diploma stuff is all bullshit until you come ashore.

The only thing you need is that certificate of competency from AMSA. Or MCA in your case. If you are going to stay at sea for while, I would just get the tickets and the sea time and worry about further academic qualifications when you need to.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

pazrs posted:

I don't know what the situation is like in the UK, but in Aus the degree/diploma stuff is all bullshit until you come ashore.

The only thing you need is that certificate of competency from AMSA. Or MCA in your case. If you are going to stay at sea for while, I would just get the tickets and the sea time and worry about further academic qualifications when you need to.

What he said. Get yourself a license, get your rear end on a boat, get experience and bigger tickets.

There'll always be someone willing to sell you a degree down the road, and if you can do it via distance learning... :getin:

Also from an employment perspective, people with degrees are a dime a dozen (nobody in the office world cares what your degree's in), people with Master / chief licenses, experience who can adapt to corporate work are hard as gently caress to find.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
I've been geeking out lately on marinetraffic.com and seen alot of UK flagged tankers operating both in the north-sea and international. Are these ship UK crewed or is there some sort of "international" (filipinos and eastern europeans) UK flag and domestic UK flag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Trench_Rat posted:

I've been geeking out lately on marinetraffic.com and seen alot of UK flagged tankers operating both in the north-sea and international. Are these ship UK crewed or is there some sort of "international" (filipinos and eastern europeans) UK flag and domestic UK flag

The flag state has more to do with ships owner, not the nationality of the crew. For instance the two BP tankers that service the Aussie coast are UK flagged but fully Aussie crewed. As are the Rio Tinto ships.

There may be two UK registries divided by the type of vessel and the trade however.

• Locked thread