Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Retarded Pimp posted:

While we're on the subject of ugly trikes.

That is the guy. The guy who needs a trike or a can am. Anyone else is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Dude looks pretty happy though :3:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Linedance posted:

what's the word for a male gunt?

This was my EXACT question.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

The tanks on those Visions are actually located behind the headlight.

This really has an extraordinary amount of engineering cleverness put into a cruiser.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Went to a bro convention after work. So many fender eliminator kits. So many.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have no problem with that. OEM fenders are ugly as gently caress on 99% of bikes

of which I still have one

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

slidebite posted:

I have no problem with that. OEM fenders are ugly as gently caress on 99% of bikes

of which I still have one

There are bike-only cop stops that will tag you for having one up around these parts. Fenders are okay in my book.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
There are some terrible ones but for the most part it's w/e. I left mine on my FZ6 cause it's not bad, and previous kits I've had have broken on me. I cut the one on the 250 Ninja tho cause it had like a foot extension to a reflector.

ugh

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^Yeah, Kawi comes to mind

I think fenders "in general" are fine too, they're just ugly as hell and are way past the point benefit to people following you most of the time.

If you screw with it and get busted though, caveat emptor.

Slavvy posted:

This really has an extraordinary amount of engineering cleverness put into a cruiser.

How so? The tank you mean? Yeah, it's not under the seat like a big ST because they couldn't hide it.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 29, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

edit /= quote

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Linedance posted:

what's the word for a male gunt?

Gock

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

:golfclap: well played, sir.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

slidebite posted:

^Yeah, Kawi comes to mind

I think fenders "in general" are fine too, they're just ugly as hell and are way past the point benefit to people following you most of the time.

If you screw with it and get busted though, caveat emptor.

How so? The tank you mean? Yeah, it's not under the seat like a big ST because they couldn't hide it.

The frame has more thought put into it than just holding the engine off the ground, and the swing-arm and rear suspension are designed with handling in mind rather than just a piece of pipe with two shocks attached. It just seems like they thought about how the bike would ride and handle rather than just making sure it looks like a real 'murican bahk.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Why is it illegal to remove the fender? I've looked at MC reqs from the DMV and at least for the two states I've lived in, there's nothing about needing them. You'll need to put reflectors on your license plate directly and make sure it still has a white light, but beyond that I don't see the issue.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

OEM fenders are hideous on almost all sporty/faired bikes, and I'm pro removing them in 99% of cases. It's like they intentionally put on the hugest, ugliest, cheapest fender because they know the first thing most people are going to do is remove it.

My 650R already had its fender eliminated when I bought it, and while it has reflectors on the screw heads, it doesn't have a white light. I've never been hassled for it, knock on wood. I've seen a lot more questionable fender eliminators around here (like mounted on a rear hugger making it practically invisible, or mounted vertically on the swingarm/shock). Maybe the local smokies just don't care about it (I hope).

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Guinness posted:

OEM fenders are hideous on almost all sporty/faired bikes, and I'm pro removing them in 99% of cases. It's like they intentionally put on the hugest, ugliest, cheapest fender because they know the first thing most people are going to do is remove it.
That doesn't make sense. If they know that the majority of people are going to remove them, they wouldn't include them.

I suspect that they come with lovely fenders because of water sprayback? Or something equally stupid.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Water spray, and stupid DOT regulations. Yamaha had to recall the YZF-R6 a few years back because the fork reflectors were an inch too low. I've been pulled over a couple times, and no one's even mentioned the tail chop and fender eliminator. The plate's still lit and the tail light's visible, so they don't care unless they really want to give you a ticket.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Odette posted:

That doesn't make sense. If they know that the majority of people are going to remove them, they wouldn't include them.

I suspect that they come with lovely fenders because of water sprayback? Or something equally stupid.

Most countries (probably most states in the US too, dunno) require the number plate be at least a certain distance from the tail light, have a light that shines on the number plate, sit at a certain angle, and have a reflector a certain distance from the tail light too. Turns out there's only a few ways of doing that and they all look loving ugly.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Here in California it just has to be readily visible from the rear, lit and turn signals must be present. Angle doesn't matter (much) as long as it's legible.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Odette posted:

They're required to include DOT-approved fenders. Most aftermarket fender eliminators are not DOT-approved, but it's a risk worth taking.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There are few sport bikes here without a fender eliminator, and I've never heard of anyone getting pulled over for it as long as all the required parts (rear light, rear reflector, turn signals, plate light) are there.

At my last checkup the engineer commented that my turn signals were too close together (minimum distance between the lights is 18cm I believe, mine were 16cm or so), but I didn't get a mark for it, he just mentioned that I should fix it, which if you read between the lines means "I don't care and no one's going to bust your rear end for it". He was more concerned that my chain was poorly lubed.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I did the fender kit on mine and am absolutely happy with it. Got stopped last weekend with a group of bikes as the cops were looking for a sport bike that had been clocked at 135 the next county over. The officer did a lookover of my bike and didn't mention anything about it at all.

I think the SV650 is the absolute best bike to do the fender elimination to

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 29, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

rotaryfun posted:

DRZ. Since the stock tail is so hideous, and the most common replacement is so slick looking

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 29, 2013

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

That is pretty slick... but boy that first tail light is terrible.

You changed the picture on me. Yeah tons of plastic on the new picture though. Overkill.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 29, 2013

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I got pulled over once for the white light not shining on my plate despite the massive red glow from the tail lights illuminating it great. It does happen, I guess.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

I picked up some LED bolts that I still need to throw on there. So hopefully that helps the situation at least a little.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
I desperately dislike supermotos banana seat, but poo poo like this does tempt me - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2I-fiYCzHQ

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Wootcannon posted:

I desperately dislike supermotos banana seat, but poo poo like this does tempt me - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2I-fiYCzHQ

Renazco and Seat Concepts both make greatly improved seats.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

obso posted:

Altho I do see a rope around its neck so it may not be completely wild. This picture looks completely normal for the midwest where I grew up (OK), but not something I expected to find on a Caribbean island (St Thomas).

And for content, this was taken 1/4 mile down the road from the cow.

Love the 2-stroke inspired heat shield.

Just got back from St. Thomas a few weeks ago. We rented a Jeep while we were there and I kept thinking "Man it would be incredible to ride a bike here" while simultaneously thinking "I would be dead within a day if I tried to ride a bike here"

The island is incredible.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Spiffness posted:

I got pulled over once for the white light not shining on my plate despite the massive red glow from the tail lights illuminating it great. It does happen, I guess.

I got that once, but he was looking for a reason. He told me that red doesn't count as a plate light. No ticket that time.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

It honestly looks like with the right handle bars, seat and rear sets you could take it to the track. I had no idea they were set up like that either, thanks for posting.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

rotaryfun posted:

I picked up some LED bolts that I still need to throw on there. So hopefully that helps the situation at least a little.

I bought some of these from Cycle Gear a few months back. My thoughts are that the lights are plenty bright and do the job. However, they were way overpriced, and the gauge used for the wiring was about as large as a human hair, and an enormous pain in the rear end to try and solder anything to. Not to mention that there are no crimp on connectors for such a small piece of wire.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Nitramster posted:

It honestly looks like with the right handle bars, seat and rear sets you could take it to the track. I had no idea they were set up like that either, thanks for posting.

Victorys always top the cruiser magazine comparos in the handling and lean angle dept. I think their touring line are the only big bagger bikes running usd forks, too. I like Victory a lot, they're a legit competitor for Harley.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Spiffness posted:

Ironically, in Pennsylvania, you need to have a fully functioning plate light, orrrrrr no plate light at all. Your plate light must be on but if you don't have one that's totally cool too.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

rotaryfun posted:

The best bikes to do fender eliminators to are single-sided swingarm bikes and bikes with undertail / underbody exhausts

After eliminating my Triumph's fender I always end up with a little pile of pebbles on the seat behind me after a ride.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I need to paint my exhaust shroud black again because of the ridiculous amounts of dirt & mud that get kicked up onto it. Still worth the FE.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

There is a post sunk in to the concrete and a catch for your front wheel, the diamond plate catches the chunks of rubber. This is at a BBQ/bar/outdoor concert/dance hall in San Antonio, and if the wind is blowing right will blow the smoke right over the concert/dance floor and eatery tables. God Bless Texas.

edit: Kickstart my heart was being covered on stage when this photo was taken.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 31, 2013

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm hoping that goldwing ended up in the burnout cage.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yes please!

e: also -

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts

clutchpuck posted: