Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

Local and interstellar communications are rather different beasts, I imagine.

Fair point. Though I'd just assumed they always used subspace for all ship to ship communication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Na'at posted:

Except that everyone meeting in that room who got shot up were captains of, ya know star ships. So where the hell did all their ships go?

"Somebody dies and we all move up in rank."

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

SMG, you are by far my favorite poster ever. Even more than Broken Loose during his 40k days.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Na'at posted:

If their communicators were out then how were they communicating with the Admiral?

If their communicators were out then how did Spock have a chat with himself on New Vulcan?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Alchenar posted:

If their communicators were out then how did Spock have a chat with himself on New Vulcan?

That's enough of your filthy verisimilitude, sir. Let your imagination free. Now enjoy all the obsessive attention to CG rendering and detailed green boobs.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I can't imagine killing a room full of commanding officers would impede Starfleet operations in any way. :rolleyes:

Na'at
May 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Standard Star Fleet protocol states that when a room full of captains is murdered their ships must be scattered to the four corners of the galaxy immediately. Also, how lucky is Kirk that hermaphrodite alien tribbles and genetically engineered super humans have compatible blood?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

sean10mm posted:

I can't imagine killing a room full of commanding officers would impede Starfleet operations in any way. :rolleyes:

If anything that would imply that their ships would still be in Earth orbit.

e: it might have broken from the hamfisted 9/11 metaphor that doesn't really make any sense but perhaps it would have been better for the battle to have happened with Starbase One visible in the background and Khan crashing the Vengeance into it and the Starships scrambling to undock.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Non-smartass observation:

The villain-in-chief was also the admiral in charge of all the ships around Earth (he chaired the meeting of all their captains that got shot up), and the one who selected the Enterprise for the mission (for the logical reason that Kirk wanted personal revenge for Pike's killing and thus would be more easily manipulated.)

So...

Won't the rest of the fleet be where he drat well wants it to be? Which I'm guessing would be way the heck away from wherever he's staging a tense confrontation with the Enterprise using a top-secret warship nobody is supposed to know about? And Kirk told him would be headed back to Earth with Harrison/Khan, so wouldn't the admiral would have a pretty good idea where that might end up if he has to chase them?

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 29, 2013

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Alchenar posted:

That's the first person he calls after comms gets restored. This is said in the film.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

sean10mm posted:

Won't the rest of the fleet be where he drat well wants it to be?

Yeah, wouldn't the fleet be positioned for war to break out with the Klingons?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Lord Krangdar posted:

Yep. Admiral Robocop would have assumed all was going according to plan right up until Scotty disabled his ship. Having whatever elements of the fleet positioned to take maximum advantage of their pre-emptive strike, with the Vengeance as flagship/tying up loose ends.

Of course his plan then goes all to poo poo, and maybe the fleet was right behind (but traveling slower or w/e) at the speed of plot, and arrive just in time to see the ship crash.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I recall something way before release about Abrams saying he would use less lense flare in this movie. I felt like there was less. This was a good decision.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Na'at posted:

Also, how lucky is Kirk that hermaphrodite alien tribbles and genetically engineered super humans have compatible blood?

It all ties in with Prometheus.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The point of the Tribble scene(s) is to jokingly compare Kirk to the lowliest piece-of-poo poo creature in the universe.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
But Tribbles aren't Bajorans :confused:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The point of the Tribble scene(s) is to jokingly compare Kirk to the lowliest piece-of-poo poo creature in the universe.
How do tribbles reproduce? They reproduce a LOT, that's for sure. And Klingons hate them, and space women love them.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's unforgivable that Bones didn't discover the tribble was alive by opening a compartment and having dozens spill out.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Lord Krangdar posted:

Internal conflict within the Federation has been part of the series for some time. For example, the Maquis.

Signaling the precise moment Star Trek lost its mass appeal.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's unforgivable that Bones didn't discover the tribble was alive by opening a compartment and having dozens spill out.

Well now I'm really mad.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
One thing that made me chuckle is that the Dreadnaught made "big scary spaceship noises" that were totally unnecessary. Some sort of klaxon/submarine alarm when they jump out of warp, and the electric buzz sound in warp space.

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS

Supercar Gautier posted:

I wanted this to be the stinger

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

Speaking as someone who thought STID was a pretty average film at best with a lot of problems, I don't really understood the criticism of how the Enterprise is always the only ship in the sector. I mean, this isn't TNG where they have magic factory boxes that can poo poo out fully built spaceships with the press of a button, interstellar starships are probably a pretty big investment of time and resources best used for, you know, interstellar exploration rather than chilling in orbit around Earth waiting for some invasion fleet or giant black space dildo or unsubtle communist metaphor to roll in.

Usually "the sector" is just some random place in the middle of the nowhere. I tend to think of it as akin to how it's easy to call for backup in New York City, but if you're facing down gangster buffalo in Wyoming, yeah, you're probably on your own. I didn't think this was much of an issue in '09, since the implication seemed to be that Nero had already destroyed every ship within spitting distance of Earth save for the Enterprise during the fight near Vulcan. When Nemesis did the same thing, I had the exact same complaint that the posters here are expressing about Into Darkness.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Some Guy TT posted:

Usually "the sector" is just some random place in the middle of the nowhere. I tend to think of it as akin to how it's easy to call for backup in New York City, but if you're facing down gangster buffalo in Wyoming, yeah, you're probably on your own. I didn't think this was much of an issue in '09, since the implication seemed to be that Nero had already destroyed every ship within spitting distance of Earth save for the Enterprise during the fight near Vulcan. When Nemesis did the same thing, I had the exact same complaint that the posters here are expressing about Into Darkness.
And when TMP did it I guess. And STIV.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Still surprised they didn't name the Dreadnought Starship as Reliant. That's the only thing that surprised me, given all the other references.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
I was talking about Into Darkness with some coworkers today and I realized what one of my main problems with this series has been. All of the TOS/WoK/TUC references are delivered by someone elbowing me in the ribs and saying, "Get it?!" and the reason I hate this so much is because it reminds me of that really, really lovely scene in like season 1 of Enterprise where Captain Archer is talking about interfering with alien cultures and says something like "There needs to be some kind of....directive :smug:" and I just wanted to smash my television set out of rage.

And now JJ Abrams has given me two separate 2 hour long versions of that scene.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Locutus of Bald posted:

And now JJ Abrams has given me two separate 2 hour long versions of that scene.

Well, at least in a few years we'll have Chris Pine using the bridge set to sell IT software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWMrMmrE_es

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I think, by far, the best thing to come out of this film is John Cho taking the piss and passive-aggressively giving JJ Abrams and the casting director poo poo in interviews.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Blistex posted:

I think, by far, the best thing to come out of this film is John Cho taking the piss and passive-aggressively giving JJ Abrams and the casting director poo poo in interviews.
I do like the film quite a bit, but I don't think he was being passive-aggressive. What he meant was pretty unambiguous, and his phrasing was as correct and concise as possible.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
John Cho is 40. What the gently caress? The dude is like in his late 20s or 30s to me. Still, seems like a cool dude.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Lord Krangdar posted:

Don't have anything guarding your capital that's just been attacked? Twice?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

yronic heroism posted:

Don't have anything guarding your capital that's just been attacked? Twice?

Strategic tactical realism strikes again.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Krangdar posted:

"A ship under my direct command was destroyed on a secret mission in Klingon space under unclear circumstances. Clearly, an act of unilateral, unprovoked aggression! Conveniently, we already had the fleet parked in a perfect position for retaliation."

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 30, 2013

Na'at
May 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Supercar Gautier posted:

Having Kirk's corpse get covered in tribbles that fall from an overhead compartment prompt Bones to have a eureka moment would have been the best possible call back.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Edit: forget it.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 30, 2013

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Cingulate posted:

"A ship under my direct command was destroyed on a secret mission in Klingon space under unclear circumstances. Clearly, an act of unilateral, unprovoked aggression! Conveniently, we already had the fleet parked in a perfect position for retaliation."

I assume to avoid that the actual plan would have to involve the Klingons either formally declaring war or just launching a massive offensive. Or so my limited movie-text-ignoring, fun-hater brain speculates, but then why leave Earth of all places undefended? Klingons can just warp in, pound it to rubble, and win straight up.

api call girl posted:

Strategic tactical realism strikes again.

You've been reminding me of a favorite quote:

Wag the Movie posted:

If we believe (incorrectly) that our tastes in entertainment define us as people, then a negative review of a movie becomes more than just an opinion of a film. It becomes a personal attack. That’s what these people are going through. They have put so much of themselves into their media that critiquing a work in their brain is the equivalent of deliberately accosting them and all they hold dear. As someone who writes about film all the time, I can easily see where this can occur. This is, after all, the internet, which is a place where thoughtful discussion can happen, but seldom does. Instead, we’re hesitant to listen to others’ points, and happier with a never-ending backlog of “NO YOU’RE WRONG.”

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
That's a fantastic Bulverism. Seriously, I'm in awe. Totally speechless.

I'm floundering here.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure both of you have valuable things to say about, for or against movie. No need to make it personal, and no enjoyment to read it, either.

Na'at posted:

Having Kirk's corpse get covered in tribbles that fall from an overhead compartment prompt Bones to have a eureka moment would have been the best possible call back.
I've always hated the Series tribble episodes, but somehow I can appreciate the callback. Maybe because they did not change them much. They still look like the cheapest prop in a movie that looks so good and well-polished.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 30, 2013

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

quote:

I'm sure both of you have valuable things to say about for or against movie. No need to make it personal, and no enjoyment to read it, either.

e: sounds about right

Going off that, I thought it would have been cooler if an angry Spock starts out losing the fight to Khan and then regains his composure to unleash really logical Vulcan fight moves. Instead they went with the reverse. The "get a lot tougher when you're angry" bit is more of a Star Wars motif. I freely admit this is nitpicking.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Gatts posted:

John Cho is 40. What the gently caress? The dude is like in his late 20s or 30s to me. Still, seems like a cool dude.

Holy poo poo! I would have guessed early thirties at most.

Na'at posted:

Oh my god now I too am quite mad about this. :negative:

• Locked thread