Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

KoldPT posted:

Legitimately powerful image.

Hitler was a real person and had real emotions. Just because he was an incredibly evil person does not mean that we should not strive to understand him or should dehumanize him. Here he is flirting with Eva Braun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Also, it was six million Jews. If you count the others, it adds up to eleven million.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Six million Jews overall, not necessarily in the camps

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I Appreciate You posted:

Actually from the looks of it, that's an inoculation, which was different than the vaccine. An inoculation, specifically called a variolation at the time, was the placement of live smallpox into an open wound (typically after a few weeks of bleeding and mercury ingestion).

It was actually pretty reasonable to be against inoculation. An inoculated person basically got a milder case of smallpox, but while it was milder for them, they were still very contagious with the full strength smallpox. And because it was milder, the inoculated would often be out and about spreading their smallpox around.

So anti-variolation sentiment was more about "hey assholes, stop infecting our kids with smallpox" rather than "are freedoms."

Edit: Oops, didn't bother to read the caption. Cow pox inoculations were much, much safer and didn't cause contagiousness, but again, given what happened with variolation, the skepticism is, I think, understandable.

Neat, thanks. I found it just labelled as anti-vaccination, and that's definitely not an area I know my history in, so it's nice to have a little more context.

From Mao(?)'s disastrous campaign against the common sparrow.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ymgve posted:

Also, it was six million Jews. If you count the others, it adds up to eleven million.

11 million? In the USSR alone, the occupation regime killed 16 - 18 million civilians.

Khatyn massacre memorial in Belarus.

Lidice memorial.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

steinrokkan posted:

11 million? In the USSR alone, the occupation regime killed 16 - 18 million civilians.
Are you seriously saying the USSR killed 16-18 million people in Poland? And if you're talking about Holodomor and the Gulags how is it an occupation regime?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqG9Ih1ZmeI

quote:

When I left my home and my family
My mother said to me
"Son, it's not how many Germans you kill that counts
It's how many people you set free"

So I packed my bags, brushed my cap
Walked out into the world
Seventeen years old
Never kissed a girl

Took the train to Voronezh
That was as far as it would go
Changed my sacks for a uniform
Bit my lip against the snow

I prayed for mother Russia
In the summer of '43
And as we drove the Germans back
I really believed that God was listening to me

We howled into Berlin
Tore the smoking buildings down
Raised the red flag high
Burnt the reichstag brown

I saw my first American
And he looked a lot like me
He had the same kinda farmer's face
Said he'd come from some place called Hazard, Tennessee

Then the war was over
My discharge papers came
Me and twenty hundred others
Went to Stettiner for the train
Kiev, said the commissar

There your own way home
I never got to Kiev
We never came by home
Train went north to the Taiga

We were stripped and marched in file
Up the great Siberian road
For miles and miles and miles and miles
Dressed in stripes and tatters

In a gulag left to die
All because Comrade Stalin was scared that
We'd become too westernized
Used to love my country

Used to be so young
Used to believe that life was
The best song ever sung
I would have died for my country
In 1945
But now only one thing remains

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

Mans posted:

Are you seriously saying the USSR killed 16-18 million people in Poland? And if you're talking about Holodomor and the Gulags how is it an occupation regime?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqG9Ih1ZmeI

I believe he's referring to the Nazi occupiers of Belarus/Ukraine/the Baltic countries, which is what his links go to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Come_and_See

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Trench_Rat posted:

allegedly painted by Hitler

The muted pastels and general look reminds me of backgrounds from the old Peanuts cartoons. Why Charlie Brown was the first thing I thought of after gazing at Hitler originals? :iiam:

Edit: So I figured out why this reminded me of Peanuts.

old beast lunatic fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 29, 2013

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Trench_Rat posted:

Seems unlikely. Though he was no great artist, the style looks much too simple to be Hitler. Here's a number of contemporary paintings by the man:

e: Not to mention that the paintings depict a British Mark I tank supposedly in German service, and a German soldier still in pickelhaube by 1918.

Mr. Sunshine fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 29, 2013

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
Hitler should have been an architect. The relationship between him and Albert Speer is one of the more personal and truly illuminating parts of him.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

I remembered this book, La Part de l'autre by Eric Emmanuel Schmitt, who's a pretty popular (and bad) writer. The premise of the book was interesting though, with a narrated biography of Hitler and a parallel alternate history biography of Hitler as a successful artist. But the narrative style is just ugh.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Democrazy posted:

Hitler should have been an architect. The relationship between him and Albert Speer is one of the more personal and truly illuminating parts of him.

Allow me to once more advocate that anyone who is even passingly interested in Hitler's personality and art interest read Frederick Spott's fantastic Hitler and the Power of Aesthetics. It's a great read and helps illustrate the inner workings of a man who never stopped thinking of himself as an artist, and also argues that he was so calamitous a dictator specifically because he was a complicated, sophisticated individual, as opposed to being just a simplistic monster.

vickser
Dec 27, 2012
The man was definitely artistically inclined. He wasn't somebody who just liked to paint, the man was gifted.

quote:

e: Not to mention that the paintings depict a British Mark I tank supposedly in German service, and a German soldier still in pickelhaube by 1918.

WWI is fascinating, partly because the savagery and iconoclasm of the whole ordeal transformed old Franco-Prussian era armies composed of soldiers that looked (in 1914) like this

into armies composed of soldiers that looked (in 1918) much more like what we would see in twenty years time:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

vickser posted:

The man was definitely artistically inclined. He wasn't somebody who just liked to paint, the man was gifted.

Inclined I'll give you, but gifted is stretching things a bit. I mean sure, he was decent bordering on good when it came to architectural paintings/drawings and natural scenes, but he had a real problem with perspective and the human form. Sure, he was self-taught and might've overcome those shortcomings with proper instruction, but all in all he probably never would have been more than a Sunday afternoon artist. More's the pity, honestly.

EDIT: On second thought, that last sentence is a bit ambiguous so I'll clarify: It's unfortunate he wasn't talented enough to get into the Vienna Academy in his youth, which one hopes would have steered him away from politics and all the ugly things he caused to happen later on.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 29, 2013

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
While we're on the subject of Hitler fanfiction, Norman Spinrad imagined him as a hack SF writer to lampoon the fascist and white supremacist undercurrents in contemporary science fiction.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

vickser posted:

WWI is fascinating, partly because the savagery and iconoclasm of the whole ordeal transformed old Franco-Prussian era armies composed of soldiers that looked (in 1914) like this

into armies composed of soldiers that looked (in 1918) much more like what we would see in twenty years time:

One of the first engagements of ww1 was between a german patrol and a squad of british(?) lancers on horseback. Lancers, with actual, literal lances. World war 1 also saw the last wartime use of the crossbow. It's mind blowing to think of how different the world was less than a century ago.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Humboldt squid posted:

One of the first engagements of ww1 was between a german patrol and a squad of british(?) lancers on horseback. Lancers, with actual, literal lances. World war 1 also saw the last wartime use of the crossbow. It's mind blowing to think of how different the world was less than a century ago.

Hell, in some places the practice of horse-mounted soldiers didn't die out until well after the war. For example, this happened during the 1919-1920 Polish-Soviet War:

quote:

The 1st Krechowiecki Lancers deployed to the left and began to move up the slight incline at a trot in the direction of the Bolsheviks. As we came over the ridge, we caught sight of a huge wave of Budionny's cavalry descending from the opposite ridge into the dip, also at a trot. The Bolsheviks had the setting sun in their eyes, and probably could not make out the strength of their opponent. Both sides slowed to a walk and came to a standstill facing each other. A colorfully-dressed rider galloped out of the swarm of Cossacks on a magnificent black charger and, waving his sabre above his head, shouted:
'Well, my Lords! I'm Cossack Kuzma Kruchkov. Who'll take me on?' At this, a murmur ran along the row of officers standing in front of the 1st Lancers. 'Raciecki! Yes, Raciecki!' Captain Raciecki (the best swordsman in the regiment) passed his sabre to his left hand to make the sign of the cross with his right and then began to move towards Kruchkov at a walk. Kruchkov sprang towards him at a gallop. Raciecki parried the first cut, aimed at his head, and himself slashed fiercely to the right and down, cutting Kruchkov open from the collar to the waist. At this, a howl went up among the Cossacks. 'He's dead! Dead! The Devil!' they shouted, and the whole lot turned tail as our regiment began to charge.

(Source: Warsaw 1920 by Adam Zamoyski, quoting a Polish lancer's account of a battle taking place on 29 May 1919 near Wolodarka, as presented by one J. Fudakowski)

Pictured: Soviet soldiers of the Konarmiya, which played a major role in the Polish-Soviet War of 1919-1920.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf5YxhH5CZY

:psyduck:

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

He thinks freedom of speech is for journalists, only? :lol:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Humboldt squid posted:

I think you're thinking about the Battle of Haelen - which was between Belgian and German troops. It did involve lancers, though the Belgians also had cyclist forces, but the main reason people still talk about it is to show how effective modern tactics and equipment could be against a cavalry charge. The German troops charged with sabre and lance, but the Belgians had dismounted and countered with massed rifle and machinegun fire, decimating the attack. Of the 17th regiment of dragoons, only ten unmounted horses reached the Belgian lines.

In Belgium, the battle is remembered as the Battle of the Silver Helmets, which is a reference to the Battle of the Golden Spurs. Where the French troops left the field littered with golden spurs in 1302, the Germans now filled it with the silver helmets of the German cuirassiers.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Trench_Rat posted:

Just get the guy a fuckin' cellphone camera - hipsters :rolleyes:

This guy is having a ball in Syria:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Hell, in some places the practice of horse-mounted soldiers didn't die out until well after the war. For example, this happened during the 1919-1920 Polish-Soviet War:

Polish lancers, 1936:

Despite the impression sometimes given of noble (or stupid, depending) but futile Polish cavalry charges on Nazi tanks, however, the Polish cavalry in WWII were actually used as essentially mobile infantry or reconnaissance units, armed with modern weaponry, that generally dismounted before engaging the enemy. They were actually fairly useful, under the circumstances.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Not included: a strict redefinition of "man" to include only white males.

"Day of Constitution by Isaak Brodsky, 1930"

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
I don't think I've ever met a self described libertarian that wasn't some sort of awful crypto-fascist under a thin veneer of ~free market capitalism~.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Why are you showing us your old Christmas cards? Is it from someone important?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Why are you showing us your old Christmas cards? Is it from someone important?

Not anymore.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

:laffo: Even her old christmas cards are creepy as gently caress (it's Bachmann, btw). Is she trying to pimp her children out?

Syrians smuggling gas to Turkey.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Polish lancers, 1936:

Despite the impression sometimes given of noble (or stupid, depending) but futile Polish cavalry charges on Nazi tanks, however, the Polish cavalry in WWII were actually used as essentially mobile infantry or reconnaissance units, armed with modern weaponry, that generally dismounted before engaging the enemy. They were actually fairly useful, under the circumstances.

Ever since the Battle of Crécy cavalry were used as tactically mobile units that often fought on foot.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Joementum posted:

Not anymore.

Wow, you knew Not-Palin? That's pretty neat.
http://vimeo.com/65886512
This is from the Green Walk, where 5K people (yours truly included) marched to show we cared about the environment to the now Right-Wing government. Was another protest yesterday where a thousand signatures were presented to the PM.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Trench_Rat posted:

I remember once reading an article by someone who did a critique of one of hitler's painting solely on its artistic merit

(This one I think)

I remember it went along the lines that Hitler wasn't a bad painter per-se, but rather uninspired, etc.

Does anyone have a link to that?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Humboldt squid posted:

I know, it's fascinating :allears:

WWI use of horses:

WW2 use of horses:

WWI Armor:

"A German sentinel is wearing a Grabenpanzer"

"A Medic"

WWI Trench clubs:

Also:
"This rather disturbingly sobering photo is of WW1 servicemen looking at an impression in the ground that had just been caused by an airman falling to his death from a great height"

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Democrazy posted:

Even though Speer spends a lot of it trying to whitewash himself, I still thought Inside The Third Reich was pretty interesting.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Disturbingly sobering isn't the words I'd use, "I will burn in hell for laughing at this" maybe.

US forces also used horses when working with the northern alliance in the invasion of Afghanistan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America's_Response_Monument

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AlexanderCA posted:

Disturbingly sobering isn't the words I'd use, "I will burn in hell for laughing at this" maybe.

Hah, I know. This was also part of the caption where I found that picture:
"No parachutes were issued to British airmen during the whole of WW1. The Germans were issued them late on in the War, however they were sometimes faulty and unreliable."

:anarchists: Pictures:

quote:

Autonome Nationalisten (“Autonomous Nationalists,” abbreviated AN) are German, Dutch and to a lesser degree Flemishneo-Nazis who have adopted some of the far left’s traditional dress (black clothing, Che Guevara T-shirts, keffiyehs), symbolism, and tactics (black bloc). They began to appear in 2003–4 and are more violent than other members of the far right. The AN are ideologically inspired by Strasserism. Mareš writes that they are “a strategic concept, organization and subculture – all three terms are possible for the designation of this phenomenon.” In 2008 Germany’s Autonomous Nationalists were estimated to number approximately 400 people, 10% of the country’s neo-Nazis.

Their emergence was controversial within the German far right, both because some older activists objected to their “leftist” image and because the National Democratic Party of Germany feared they would complicate its efforts to take part in mainstream politics. Also controversial is that Autonome Nationalisten have occasionally expressed sympathy for Islamic extremism, as well as Hezbollah and Hamas for their opposition to Zionism and what is deemed “American imperialism”. Autonome Nationalists have also been seen wearing t-shirts depicting Osama bin Laden.

Similar groups have also appeared in some Eastern European countries, beginning with the Czech Republic and Greece, but their impact in those areas has been limited.

This explains the weird-rear end neo-nazi march I saw a video of that happened in Venlo in the Netherlands, where the fascists were marching with what looked like antifa flags and an anti-capitalist bannner. I thought they might be like trophies or something.

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 30, 2013

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Wow, you knew Not-Palin? That's pretty neat.
http://vimeo.com/65886512
This is from the Green Walk, where 5K people (yours truly included) marched to show we cared about the environment to the now Right-Wing government. Was another protest yesterday where a thousand signatures were presented to the PM.

It's available online. Here are the second and third pages

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ShortStack posted:

I don't think I've ever met a self described libertarian that wasn't some sort of awful crypto-fascist under a thin veneer of ~free market capitalism~.
Yeah same here. I don't like to call libertarianism really crypto-fascism since you tend to run into problems with those labels. But yeah. The one libertarian friend who I thought wasn't a crypto-fascist (and who is largely in line with more white collar libertarian groups like CATO than the beerhall Ron Paul types) posted a link on his Facebook page to a white supremacist "libertarian fascist" blog the other day about how people who don't believe in immutable biological gender roles are genetically inferior. He thought that was reasonable. (And then deleted the post.)

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about :

No, politicized armies are not a good thing. Troops that turn on their government do not *usually* result in a net increase in freedom. (I think Portugal?)

System Metternich posted:

:laffo: Even her old christmas cards are creepy as gently caress (it's Bachmann, btw). Is she trying to pimp her children out?
Nah that's normal. They read just like my extended middle American family's annual Christmas card blitzkrieg. If there are babies, then it's a countdown to when those babies are old enough to start making more babies. Though, I'm thinking that that doesn't mean it's not creepy. Hrm.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Seems unlikely. Though he was no great artist, the style looks much too simple to be Hitler. Here's a number of contemporary paintings by the man:

You forgot Hitler's best work:

• Locked thread