Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

How about the Voice of the Voiceless?

That never ended up going anywhere beyond being a way for punk to heel it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Bigass Moth posted:

When Misawa died, did the WWE acknowledge it at all? He never wrestled for them, but he was a big name who's death was directly linked to an in-ring accident.

WWE.com ran an article I think. Nothing on air though.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/industrynews/10524462

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
What's Jim Crockett Jr. doing these days? Since he sold to Turner it seems the wrestling world never heard from him again.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

budreck posted:

What's Jim Crockett Jr. doing these days? Since he sold to Turner it seems the wrestling world never heard from him again.

He tried starting another company in the mid 90s that didn't really go anywhere. I think he's shown up on a couple of DVDs.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Bigass Moth posted:

When Misawa died, did the WWE acknowledge it at all? He never wrestled for them, but he was a big name who's death was directly linked to an in-ring accident.

iirc Punk wrote Misawa's name on his armbands and Yoshi Tatsu wore a copy of Misawa's tights

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
wrong thread

budreck fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 29, 2013

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

LvK posted:

iirc Punk wrote Misawa's name on his armbands and Yoshi Tatsu wore a copy of Misawa's tights

ESPN.com had more on it than WWE.com.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

triplexpac posted:

What's the biggest wrestling angle that ended up fizzling out & not actually going anywhere?

One that I can think of is the way DX in 2000 never actually broke up, they just kind of drifted apart after months of being the focal point of the show.

From what I recall; after Rock won the title at KOTR 2000 with Vince writing himself off of TV with that "genetic jackhammer" promo and HHH running off to feud with Angle forcing the break-up of the McMahon-Helmsley Faction DX continued to exist but as a tag team of Road Dogg and X-Pac. They had the same attire and music and were still called "DX" that summer. Then the break-up happened during the build to SummerSlam 2000 with a match between the two to solidify the end of that version of DX. The two got repackaged with different gimmicks (well, maybe X-Pac less so) afterwards.

Yeah, DX fizzled out near the end but it had a match to end it.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Has John Cena brought in enough viewers/revenue to even partly justify WWE putting all their focus on him? Not trying to come off as smarky, I just genuinely don't know much about the financial side of the business.

NienNunb fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 30, 2013

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

NienNunb posted:

Has John Cena brought in enough viewers/revenue to even partyly justify WWE putting all their focus on him? Not trying to come off as smarky, I just genuinely don't know much about the financial side of the business.
Short answer: No.
Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

But not because he hasn't drawn money. He has. He's been booked to be the only guy that matters for a decade, and that'll make anybody important, but Cena's done well with what's been given to him.

The thing is, the company should never, ever, ever focus on one person this much because it not only makes their product stale, boring, and predictable, but it leaves them vulnerable. If Austin, Rock, HHH and Mankind all got injured at the same time in '99, there were still three or four guys who could main event. Now if Cena's gone, we have Punk. That's it.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

NienNunb posted:

Has John Cena brought in enough viewers/revenue to even partyly justify WWE putting all their focus on him? Not trying to come off as smarky, I just genuinely don't know much about the financial side of the business.

Above and Beyond a Yes. his merch is the most popular. every show you see a sea of colorful HLR logos...mostly kids though. so from the financial side yes cena is the focus for good reason.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Technical nerd question: I know that at least one WCW jobber used a finisher that was just an enzuigiri to a kneeling opponent. I think there were at least a couple guys who have used it. Can anyone remember who, or what they called it?

To not-quite-answer a previous question, I don't know if Dean Ambrose's headlock driver has a name, but I'm betting he borrowed it from Sami Callahan, since he tagged with him.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Halloween Jack posted:

Technical nerd question: I know that at least one WCW jobber used a finisher that was just an enzuigiri to a kneeling opponent. I think there were at least a couple guys who have used it. Can anyone remember who, or what they called it?

To not-quite-answer a previous question, I don't know if Dean Ambrose's headlock driver has a name, but I'm betting he borrowed it from Sami Callahan, since he tagged with him.

isn't that a Shining Wizard? I know that Gregory Helms as both the Hurricane and Gregory Helms used it

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
Shane Helms' Shining Wizard?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
No, there was no running into it, and one time I saw it, I think the victim was down on both knees, so there was no step-up. I believe the wrestler in question was black. (No, not Bad News Brown.)

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

NienNunb posted:

Has John Cena brought in enough viewers/revenue to even partly justify WWE putting all their focus on him? Not trying to come off as smarky, I just genuinely don't know much about the financial side of the business.
WWE's extreme reliance on Cena is a symptom of their problems, not the cause.
They're incapable of making new stars so they put all their effort into protecting the one they have.

It's possible business would go up after focusing on a new guy, but it's not likely enough for them to tolerate the short term drop that would happen. They're going to live off of Cena and part time stars as long as they can.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

NienNunb posted:

No. By cutting the legs out from anyone who showed the slightest spark of overness in sacrifice to the altar of Cena, they've ensured the inability of anyone else to sell merchandise on his level. There have been several times that people showed the ability to get louder pops than Cena and sell a large amount of merch(Brock, Punk, Ryder, Ryback, ones from the 2004-2009 period I'm likely forgetting), but then they turned them heel, squashed their heat or otherwise ruined them. The only reason Cena sells so much merch and has so much of the kid-focus is because they've made it that way.

Ratings have gone up in time periods where they showed chances of other people becoming That Guy.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

No, there was no running into it, and one time I saw it, I think the victim was down on both knees, so there was no step-up. I believe the wrestler in question was black. (No, not Bad News Brown.)

I'm really sad now because I'm imagining Bad News Brown doing a Shining Wizard and it's an incredible mental image.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

Possibly 2 Cold Scorpio? Dude spent a lot of time in WCW, and he's pretty flippy.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

triplexpac posted:

What's the biggest wrestling angle that ended up fizzling out & not actually going anywhere?

Who is Vince McMahon's illegitimate child? Oh it's Hornswoggle, here's five months of TV time leading to a JBL/Finlay Wrestlemania match.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Iskanderson posted:

Who is Vince McMahon's illegitimate child? Oh it's Hornswoggle, here's five months of TV time leading to a JBL/Finlay Wrestlemania match.

See also: Anonymous Raw GM, The.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I guess you could count the 'death of Vince' storyline, though that was intentionally abandoned.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

rotinaj posted:

Ratings have gone up in time periods where they showed chances of other people becoming That Guy.

I'm in this boat. I haven't watched WWE since the Raw after the post-mania RAW. Cena/Ryback? Hahaha, call me for Summerslam and maybe I'll watch.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Paulocaust posted:

I'm in this boat. I haven't watched WWE since the Raw after the post-mania RAW. Cena/Ryback? Hahaha, call me for Summerslam and maybe I'll watch.

The worst part is that this only works when Cena is still on TV, just not the number one focus o the show. Because they have so successfully made Cena the focus of everything, ratings go down when he is off TV. He doesn't improve ratings any anymore, but his absence does indeed lower them. gently caress.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Cena is Hulk Hogan having done some weird Sith bodyswap.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

We can only be thankful that Cena's such an inoffensive company man, because imagine if he started Hogan-style politicking from the place he's in now.

We'd be hosed.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's hilarious how many parallels there are between Cena and Hogan, yet the WWE managed to fall into the same trap of relying on the one huge mega-face at the cost of keeping everyone down, loving over the future of their company in the process. Except there's no forseeable WCW this time to light a fire under their rear end.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

WWE's extreme reliance on Cena is a symptom of their problems, not the cause.

They're incapable of making new stars so they put all their effort into protecting the one they have.
That's the management's biggest problem: the mindset that the company should be making stars. Not only do they fail to let guys get themselves over, they bury them when they do.

What do you get when the company is what makes stars, anyway? If you're lucky, you get something as good as The Ultimate Warrior; if you're really lucky, Goldberg. (Legit question, by the way. Has The Company ever made an enduring star out of someone who couldn't do it himself?)

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Halloween Jack posted:

That's the management's biggest problem: the mindset that the company should be making stars. Not only do they fail to let guys get themselves over, they bury them when they do.

What do you get when the company is what makes stars, anyway? If you're lucky, you get something as good as The Ultimate Warrior; if you're really lucky, Goldberg. (Legit question, by the way. Has The Company ever made an enduring star out of someone who couldn't do it himself?)

I would consider the rock "made" by WWE because they tried so many things to get him over in the beginning.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I would consider the rock "made" by WWE because they tried so many things to get him over in the beginning.

Yeah that Rock guy had no natural talent or charisma or anything that would get him over on his own. Totally due to his huge push that the fans completely bought into and appreciated.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Rock was a made star because Flex Kavana didn't get over

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Rock's charisma and mic skills was what made him a star, but you also got to give the WWF some credit for picking the right guy to get behind early as opposed to many of their pet projects.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I'd put Randy Orton on that list for sure, and maybe HHH because he's been consistently protected since I was in high school and I don't think he would have gotten as far if he had to get himself over.

edit: actually the Undertaker is someone whose career was entirely dependent on WWE giving him a good gimmick and a good manager and letting him grow into the role, since he wasn't much of anything in Texas or WCW.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
It's rare for a guy to get over without the company being at least a little behind him. You can have guys like Evan Bourne who are talented, but if they don't get TV time who's to know?

It's also rare for a guy to get over with a big push and absolutely no talent. Goldberg wasn't the best, but he did have charisma and was good in his role.

So you might say that you need both unique attributes and the support of the company to get over.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Mine will always be "who moved the suitcase" in the Austin Macmahon ladder match

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Manwithastick posted:

Mine will always be "who moved the suitcase" in the Austin Macmahon ladder match

Russo's talked about this on his shoot interviews, with the explination being that it was obviously Bossman but he didn't want to spend the time writing a plot point reveal as he was bored with the angle and it had already moved by the end of KOTR.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I think that also led to the bit where Vince was in the ring, Hard Times hit and the place loving exploded for Bossman. Then he runs to the ring and gives Vince a hug. Biggest pop Bossman ever got, and it meant nothing. :russo:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

CombineThresher posted:

I'd put Randy Orton on that list for sure, and maybe HHH because he's been consistently protected since I was in high school and I don't think he would have gotten as far if he had to get himself over.

Wholeheartedly agree on Orton. He's been pushed far beyond with I rationally think his level was. He's a decent worker but his promos always bore me to tears and I never got why he got the rub to be a tippy top guy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Thauros posted:

Rock's charisma and mic skills was what made him a star, but you also got to give the WWF some credit for picking the right guy to get behind early as opposed to many of their pet projects.

CombineThresher posted:

edit: actually the Undertaker is someone whose career was entirely dependent on WWE giving him a good gimmick and a good manager and letting him grow into the role, since he wasn't much of anything in Texas or WCW.
These are the guys I should've been thinking of, especially Undertaker--and it says a lot that he's the magic well (urn?) they keep going back to, while HHH is inheriting the company and Orton is forever orbiting around the title scene, only held back by his health issues.

I think you have to give WWE credit for its role in The Rock's stardom. Seeing talent in a guy and continuing to support him while he finds his feet is what they should be doing. That being said, I'm never excited to see the Rock and when he shows up, I'm just waiting for him to leave, because I know he's just there to give the title scene a shot in the knee.

TL posted:

Wholeheartedly agree on Orton. He's been pushed far beyond with I rationally think his level was. He's a decent worker but his promos always bore me to tears and I never got why he got the rub to be a tippy top guy.
Randy Orton is how pimply teenage boys who reek of Axe body spray see themselves when they dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Randy Orton is how pimply teenage boys who reek of Axe body spray see themselves when they dream.

Back when I was a pimply teenage boy, I didn't see myself as Randy Orton at all. I could get heel heat without punting someone in the head.