Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I got a two week gig out here in Port Hope
I remember when FF7 had released as well. The thing I remember most was that it was unlike any game I'd ever played before. It seemed so foreign.

I also remember being all confused I had the second and third for SNES and when they released seven I was like wow I have missed a bunch! I bought a PSX for that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm about to start the PSP Tactics Ogre for the first time, are there any things I should know to begin with? Anything overly specific doesn't matter, I just mean really generally.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

I'm about to start the PSP Tactics Ogre for the first time, are there any things I should know to begin with? Anything overly specific doesn't matter, I just mean really generally.

Archers are really, really good.

theonlypie314SA
Mar 19, 2013

Paperhouse posted:

Be careful with how you reclass since leveling up depends on the class instead of the individual character. In other words, if you have a witch/wizard that is level 40, anytime to change anyone else to a witch or wizard, they will also be level 40 regardless of their previous level. If you have two witches/wizards on the team, both will be level 40 even if you only use one of them. If you want to change to a class you haven't used yet, that character will start all the way back at level 3, once again, regardless of their previous level.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

Archers are really, really good.
Archers are really good.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Endorph posted:

Archers are really good.

If you have a team entirely composed of archers you will absolutely destroy the game. I'd suggest not even having one if you're up for a challenge.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
Tactics Ogre just has a unique method of selecting your difficulty:

Leave Canopus in his default class: Normal
Change him to melee/magic-based class (or don't use him and other winged dudes): Hard
Change him to archer: Easy

For actual advice, I'd say look for a spoiler-free character recruitment guide because some of the requirements for getting characters can be obscure. Also get a lobber for your healers so they can chuck potions over a long distance.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Hi all. I've finally finished all the dragon age origins DLC and am after anything that is even remotely similar. Any suggestions?

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Neverwinter Nights 2.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Neverwinter Nights 2 is a good suggestion. Also, Drakensang: The River of Time.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Mr Cuddles posted:

Hi all. I've finally finished all the dragon age origins DLC and am after anything that is even remotely similar. Any suggestions?

Drakensang & Drakensang 2: River of Time are what Dragon Age should've been. They're great.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
The combat pretty much made me give up on the Drakensang games. I had no idea what I was doing most of the time. And I saw no rhyme or reason in what skills I should increase, or why. This must be what it feels like for people that never played Dungeons & Dragons to pick up something like Temple of Elemental Evil.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just blew through Xenosaga series for the second time, and then started to work on Xenogears. All the references jesus. Also the two are clearly not the same universe. Wave existence might be the same thing in a different universe than Xenosaga, and all the rest. But it can't be a prequel for a few reasons.

Anyways the entire time I was playing it I felt like I wanted to play FFX instead. I say this as a Takahashi fan too... It's just too old, too archaic.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So I picked up Final Fantasy 4 for my newly purchased PSP and I'm enjoying it so far. A little more then 3 hours in and I've just finished Mt Ordeals. While I'm liking it, I find the towns populated by personality-less NPCs and the path through the game to be very very linear. Is this the way it's going to be for the entire game? Is this standard for FF games? I have not played much final fantasy since 8 way back in 2000 and I don't remember all too much about that except an annoying train (and you don't get much more linear than that).

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Edit: On phone and it double posted, sorry.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BadAstronaut posted:

So I picked up Final Fantasy 4 for my newly purchased PSP and I'm enjoying it so far. A little more then 3 hours in and I've just finished Mt Ordeals. While I'm liking it, I find the towns populated by personality-less NPCs and the path through the game to be very very linear. Is this the way it's going to be for the entire game? Is this standard for FF games? I have not played much final fantasy since 8 way back in 2000 and I don't remember all too much about that except an annoying train (and you don't get much more linear than that).

From the way you were describing things, it sounded like you wanted a mostly linear experience. But yes, all of that is typical for Final Fantasy games. Eventually you'll get an airship and you're allowed to go almost anywhere, but there's still a very specific path through the game's story.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Let us not forget that FFIV is a SNES JRPG from 1991 when we consider its simple towns and/or linearity. It's not like it's FFXIII linear though :v:

Can I make a confession? FFIV and FFVI are the only FF's I actually like. The kindest thing I can say about FFVII-FFXII is that I tolerated them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Let us not forget that FFIV is a SNES JRPG from 1991 when we consider its simple towns and/or linearity. It's not like it's FFXIII linear though :v:

Can I make a confession? FFIV and FFVI are the only FF's I actually like. The kindest thing I can say about FFVII-FFXII is that I tolerated them.

FFVI is fun once you get out of the World of Balance but getting to World of Ruin is a slog and I to this date can not stand how far you have to get in that game before it deigns to start giving you Espers. I'm always surprised when people talk about FFXIII being a huge tutorial when FFVI does the same thing until World of Ruin.

FFIV is just bad. Note; I'm ridiculously biased against it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The difference is FFVI at least unlocks all the battle mechanics a few hours in. It only takes like 5-6 hours to get to Espers, really.

40-some hours into FFXIII and it's still throwing tutorial boxes at you.

EDIT: Also most FF games are pretty linear until the very end. I'd say maybe FFVII is the most free-form one?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I never finished it, but ff12 seems like the world opened to me pretty early on.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

The difference is FFVI at least unlocks all the battle mechanics a few hours in. It only takes like 5-6 hours to get to Espers, really.

40-some hours into FFXIII and it's still throwing tutorial boxes at you.

EDIT: Also most FF games are pretty linear until the very end. I'd say maybe FFVII is the most free-form one?

FFVI railroads your party composition pretty drat hard. Despite its huge cast you can't really build custom teams until you get to World of Ruin. Its not anywhere near as bad as FFXIII but it has a few similar traits that I never liked.

FFXII IZJS gets the nod from me just because you start with all the gambits which is the one major mechanics flaw in FFXII in my opinion.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Why would you want to build custom teams. All of the characters are functionally the same after you get magic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I never said FF6 didn't railroad you, just that it was way less restricting than FF13, and for less time. Part of that has to do with game length - you can 100% FF6 in the time it takes FF13 to open up - but still.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Daler Mehndi posted:

The combat pretty much made me give up on the Drakensang games. I had no idea what I was doing most of the time. And I saw no rhyme or reason in what skills I should increase, or why. This must be what it feels like for people that never played Dungeons & Dragons to pick up something like Temple of Elemental Evil.
The downside is that its needlessly complex. Most of the complexity are on out of combat skills. The actual combat itself is extremely straight forward and if you want to break it, simply use skills that inflict wound.

Honestly I think the Drakensang games are very unrewarding in that vein, and the world is even more generic than Dragon Age: Origins. It does benefit from being practically a NWN2:OC Chapter 1 carbon copy for most of the game.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

I'm pretty much with you, but have you tried FFV? I'm playing it right now using the FJF rules (each time you unlock a new set of jobs, you get a random one from that set assigned, and have to have one of those jobs in your party for the rest of the game), and it's a ton of fun. The story is garbage but the gameplay is better than IV.

FFI was fun but only because it was extremely unique in terms of NES games. FFVII, VIII, and IX were complete garbage. I skipped X (and X-2 of course), but XII was pretty fun and definitely the best of the disc-based games (I guess people like X). XIII didn't interest me at all. VI will forever be the best, mostly because it had the best cast, worlds, and sidequests.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

I never said FF6 didn't railroad you, just that it was way less restricting than FF13, and for less time. Part of that has to do with game length - you can 100% FF6 in the time it takes FF13 to open up - but still.

I agree completely, I just didn't want it to seem like waiting on Espers was the sole issue as it also does the party composition thing.

Thankfully it didn't have the audacity to make the first hours worth of fights grant no XP which basically put my jaw on the floor during FFXIII.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Endorph posted:

Once you get to the world of ruin in ff6, you can do pretty much any quest in any order, rerecruit or miss out on three quarters of the party, or just rock out Kefka with the first four dudes you get. I was completely surprised by the open ended nature of that, having never gotten past celes' forever fish island as a kid.

Biggus Duckus posted:

Does Xenogears pass the test of time? I had it as a kid but never made it very far (got stuck in some caverns and ran out of robot fuel), and I don't think I ever really grasped the mechanics correctly at the time. Should I get it on PSN?

It barely passed the test when it was new. A whole lot of potential and cool world building weighed down by some of the shittiest dungeons and plot pacing in an rpg. Hope you enjoy bad platforming levels with extremely high encounter rates, or a ten hour trek through Nortune and its wonderful sewer levels.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Authorman posted:

Once you get to the world of ruin in ff6, you can do pretty much any quest in any order, rerecruit or miss out on three quarters of the party, or just rock out Kefka with the first four dudes you get. I was completely surprised by the open ended nature of that, having never gotten past celes' forever fish island as a kid.

It barely passed the test when it was new. A whole lot of potential and cool world building weighed down by some of the shittiest dungeons and plot pacing in an rpg. Hope you enjoy bad platforming levels with extremely high encounter rates, or a ten hour trek through Nortune and its wonderful sewer levels.

I think my favorite was boss battles after 10 minutes of dialog where there was no way to level up or grind levels since the last hour and multipe save points with no warning this would happen.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

GulagDolls posted:

Why would you want to build custom teams. All of the characters are functionally the same after you get magic.

That's not true. There was quite a bit of variety. I mean there was Gau, and, uh, all those other guys?

Oh yeah, Sabin. That guy too.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
As ridiculously :japan: as Agarest Zero is (and by extension, the first one), I have to say on the whole I am really enjoying it. The plot isn't much to write home about, but the characters are endearing enough to make it entertaining. The real thing is the combat, and there is a lot of it. Just in the main game alone, you have 15 characters to choose from, and if you go into Digest Mode (which is an abridged version of the first game), that's adding about 10 characters (before DLC), so you can have a wonderfully diverse party that can be tailored just about any way you want.

The best parts are definitely the battles where attacking like an idiot on the first turn is going to get you massacred, and you have to plan out if you want to bide your time and strike when the enemy is overextended, fan your characters out to draw enemy fire toward one target instead of many and tackle several weaker foes at once, or if you want to throw everything into a mad dash to take out the big guns before they get too powerful. Of course, you also have to take into consideration the skills of the characters themselves, and many have an ability where when they're critically low on HP (<25% HP), they get significantly powered up, so battles toward the end of the game frequently involve baiting an enemy into attacking one target, reviving them, then striking back hard.

There's several boss battles that the game does not at all expect you to win or even do well in, and the funnest part of the game is turning that expectation around and winning, or at least taking out the moneybags who gives you a lot of experience / money before the battle automatically ends after a few turns. It's a game where you really have to pay attention to the boss battles, because even with great equipment, if you make careless decisions you're going to regret it really fast, especially by the end of the first generation and continuing to the second. Of course, all the cool combo attacks between party members and the over the top animations for some of the attacks makes the sprite art in battle quite nice.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has a low tolerance for anime, or even a middling tolerance, but it is a really solid RPG at its core. I got it for about 20 bucks off Amazon, and at that price, and for a game that's going to take quite a while to fully see all its content, you really can't ask for more, I suppose.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

As an english speaker, if I get FFX International, will I be able to play the game? ie: are texts in english and/or audio is subtitled if spoken in japanese?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
FFXHD is apparently going to be the international version so it's probably best to just wait it out.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

As an english speaker, if I get FFX International, will I be able to play the game? ie: are texts in english and/or audio is subtitled if spoken in japanese?

Why not just wait for the HD re-release? It will have all the International content.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

I could be wrong and they added even more to the Japanese International version, but wasn't all its content already included in the PAL version of FFX? That one had the Dark Aeons at least, I remember that pretty clearly because it made picking up something in Besaid really annoying :v:

E: It definitely also had the alternate sphere grid option thinking about it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

Why not just wait for the HD re-release? It will have all the International content.

PS3 is semi broken right now and I'm too lazy to fix it. I do however still have a ps2/emulator I can play it on.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FFX International has full english audio and text as options. According to the FF Wikia, the only real difference between FFX PAL and FFX International is that the PAL version is just a lovely conversion and has some technical issues: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_X#Other_Versions The PAL version is cheaper to import, but not by a whole lot, as I've seen a couple $25 copies of International on Ebay.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I have started up the International version a couple times. When you first start it asks you if you want the game in English or Japanese, and if you want the Sphere Grid to be the standard or 'expert' style. Only problem is that it asks you these questions in Japanese so you gotta look up a FAQ or something to figure it out.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
When you start up the game you'll be asked two questions in Japanese. First is which sphere grid you want, with オリジナルバージョン (should be the top option) being the vanilla FFX grid, while インターナショナルバージョン is the new grid. The second question asks which language you want. 日本語 (should be on top) is Japanese and 英語 is English. Once you pick the language it'll stay in that language throughout the game.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

U-DO Burger posted:

Is that version coming to PC? I was actually somewhat enjoying the story from the Dark ID's LP (until he abandoned it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
FF7 was the first game I got for my PS1. I got it on a Thursday and stayed up all drat night playing it. 6am rolls around and I have to shut down to pretend I've been sleeping soundly, only to discover that it had snowed about a billion inches that night and school was canceled.

Adults, of course, still had to go to work, so I spent the rest of the day playing it and rolled it into the most glourious 3-day weekend of my life.