Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006

Jewmanji posted:

This looks amazing, can you say a little more about it?

The executive producers are Errol Morris and Werner Herzog. I know they aren't really creatively involved but...what a dream team.

Well shortly after I just decided to make a thread about it. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551333

You can get more information in there.

I wasn't impressed by the trailer for Ain't Them Bodies Saints but I'll still see it regardless. David Lowery has proven himself to be someone to watch (he edited Upstream Color among other films).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Byzantine posted:

Also motherfucking FLAME SHIPS.

Basically there is a kickass movie in the Byzantine Empire out there.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Well, at least I laughed for a solid half-minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_IjM63FH2o

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

Apparently this is the first time Charlie Sheen has ever used his birth name in a movie.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

DivisionPost posted:

I'll admit it, I chuckled, especially at the Sheen/Estevez reveal.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Boy, I sure wish Robert Rodriguez still made movies I could actually watch.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Stunt Casting! Stunt Casting! Stunt Casting! Sofia Vergara with machine gun tits aggressively pelvic thrusting! Explosion! Machete Kills! A knowingly stupid movie.

You know what like about the crappy exploitation movies the Rodriguez likes to pay tribute to? I like that they’re sincere in their stupidity. Rodriguez is so drat self-conscious that he can’t do anything dumb without thrusting his tounge to his cheek, winking repeatedly at the audience and then yelling “Hey guys! I’m being IRONIC! Amiright!”.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

High Warlord Zog posted:

Stunt Casting! Stunt Casting! Stunt Casting! Sofia Vergara with machine gun tits aggressively pelvic thrusting! Explosion! Machete Kills! A knowingly stupid movie.

You know what like about the crappy exploitation movies the Rodriguez likes to pay tribute to? I like that they’re sincere in their stupidity. Rodriguez is so drat self-conscious that he can’t do anything dumb without thrusting his tounge to his cheek, winking repeatedly at the audience and then yelling “Hey guys! I’m being IRONIC! Amiright!”.

I pretty much feel this way about Tarantino, for what it's worth.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Looks amazing, loved the first one.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpXfcTF6iVk
prisoners

Well, this looks tense. I'm guessing it doesn't all end well.

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.

DivisionPost posted:

I sure love the fact that it has visuals on par with a made for youtube video game fan film. Way to put that Arri Alexa to use, Robert.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

schwenz posted:

prisoners

drat, that looks good. I was already pretty sold on it but then Paul Dano showed up and just solidified me wanting to see it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

muscles like this? posted:

Apparently this is the first time Charlie Sheen has ever used his birth name in a movie.

I chuckled at that. The implication that it's a movie Charlie Sheen did before he got famous.

I liked the first one too. Sofia Vergara strikes me as able to play loving crazy pretty well, I'm on board.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

drat, that looks good. I was already pretty sold on it but then Paul Dano showed up and just solidified me wanting to see it.

This is ours. Wait until trailer 2, it's loving intense. This is a really, really good film, btw. Expect an Oscar push.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 31, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

schwenz posted:

prisoners

I'm hoping that it's (speculation that might be a spoiler) seriously this is your last chance oh well if you're still reading here's an ROT13 Zrzbevrf bs Zheqre

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 31, 2013

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

davidspackage posted:

I liked the first one too. Sofia Vergara strikes me as able to play loving crazy pretty well, I'm on board.

Thats cause she is crazy. I did a commercial with her and she loves to scream at the crew. SILENCIO!!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Hobbit part 2 now have a trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJhE5OWaSho

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Receiving lots of flack for the look of Smaug. I personally think too many people wanted him to look like the feline dragon in the Rankin-Bass cartoon.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kiimo posted:

Receiving lots of flack for the look of Smaug. I personally think too many people wanted him to look like the feline dragon in the Rankin-Bass cartoon.

Whatever, it's a dragon. Everyone has their own ideas of what it should look like. No pleasing everyone.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

kiimo posted:

It just shows a complete lack of research into proper dragon anatomy. I mean, did they even browse DeviantArt?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
He looked fine to me. The voice and personality of it all will be a lot more important

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kiimo posted:

I'm more annoyed that they showed Smaug at all. That should have been a "Whoa, gently caress" moment for the moviegoer. You work in the business, kiimo - why is it acceptable for trailer makers to do the cinematic equivalent of premature ejaculation?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

I'm more annoyed that they showed Smaug at all. That should have been a "Whoa, gently caress" moment for the moviegoer. You work in the business, kiimo - why is it acceptable for trailer makers to do the cinematic equivalent of premature ejaculation?

To get the people in seats.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PaganGoatPants posted:

To get the people in seats.

You can do that without blowing your entire wad, though. This kind of thing has been an ever increasing trend since The Phantom Menace trailer showed Darth Maul whipping out his double-ender, and it's annoying.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
They only show his head.

I'm hoping this movie finally one-ups Dragonslayer for my favorite dragon reveal.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

The MSJ posted:

Now I can mentally prepare myself for the 20 minute-too-long overly CGI'd floating down the river barrel fight, thanks Peter Jackson.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

The MSJ posted:

Aside from my general disinterest in this new trilogy, this trailer is really poorly made. It's absolutely generic in appearance, dialog, pace, music, etc. If the pitch for this movie is "there is a dragon in it", I will be staying home.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Jewmanji posted:

Aside from my general disinterest in this new trilogy, this trailer is really poorly made. It's absolutely generic in appearance, dialog, pace, music, etc. If the pitch for this movie is "there is a dragon in it", I will be staying home.

Good enough for me :colbert:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

Generic =! poorly made.

My favorite trailer of the past 3 or 4 years is Girl With The Dragon Tattoo which opened at $12m.

You might not like them showing Smaug but believe me Peter Jackson, the New Line, WB, and MGM (lol) marketing teams and the top execs of WB including Jeff Bewkes and Kevin Tsujihara were in on that decision. I'm not going to go into why but based on general hype I'm sure you can figure it out.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
The fact they showed the dragon is mostly for people like my mom who were super pissed at the end of the first movie because "where's the loving dragon" (not her actual words).

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Peanut President posted:

The fact they showed the dragon is mostly for people like my mom who were super pissed at the end of the first movie because "where's the loving dragon" (not her actual words).

Ironic considering he's shown at the end...

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

kiimo posted:

My problem with him is that he looks kinda flat, and doesn't seem to blend/match with the background very well. Maybe it's just me, though. Hopefully he'll look better on the big screen in the finished product, when we see his whole body.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

schwenz posted:

prisoners

This looks great and deserves a less generic title. Also there's probably a twist because for all his appearances, Paul Dano doesn't say a word in that trailer.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It just shows a complete lack of research into proper dragon anatomy. I mean, did they even browse DeviantArt?

They did and Smaug now has a gigantic penis. Thanks DeviantArt!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Trailer for the Ethan Hawke and Selena Gomez car-based action movie Getaway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1w6CWtykK0

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Korean trailer for Snowpiercer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJwAfDLFgqQ

quote:

The film is set in a future where, after a failed experiment to stop global warming, an Ice Age kills off all life on the planet except for the inhabitants of the Snowpiercer, a train that travels around the globe and is powered by a sacred perpetual-motion engine. A class system evolves on the train but a revolution brews.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
About time for some freaking weird-rear end apocalyptic SciFi to come around. It even looks like the poors are the good guys in this one. :allears:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Eh! Frank posted:

My problem with him is that he looks kinda flat, and doesn't seem to blend/match with the background very well. Maybe it's just me, though. Hopefully he'll look better on the big screen in the finished product, when we see his whole body.

In big movies like these the VFX are being fine-tuned often right up until the release. They finish the VFX for the teaser first. It will probably look better by the time it is released.

Unless it is Green Lantern. In that case the VFX are never finished and they just release it with half the scenes looking like garbage.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

I honestly can not loving wait to see this because of who is involved. It's crazy that this got made seriously. I men holy poo poo Bong Joon-ho is directing, it's being produced by Park Chan-wook and the screenplay was written by Kelly Masterson. Plus Chris Evans, Tilda Swanton, John hurt with Korean Actor Song Kang-ho.

I'm there opening night and it looks great weird and interesting. An very excellent science fiction concept with overtones of social struggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

It does look cool but I wish the trailer looked and sounded better. I found another one that is "HD" but the audio is still hard to make out. Whenever the woman who appears to be the ruler is speaking in that trailer I can't hardly understand a single thing she is saying.

• Locked thread