Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ekuNNN posted:

No.

Here's the German wiki page on him: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietrich_Wagner
Apparently he lost all use of his left eye and the right eye has 8% vision now. He hasn't gotten an apology either.

God, I remember during the Occupy poo poo people were all saying it was, that's where I got that. Just makes poo poo so much worse.

http://vimeo.com/64941331

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Nah, I don't see that gimmick working out well.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Istanbul, an hour ago:
https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10151685267208245

also, the streets are littered with tear gas canisters:

:patriot:

edit:
Hey, someone followed the home-made tear gas mask guide I posted earlier:

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 1, 2013

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Today, Boeing announced it's going to shift significant engineering resources out of Washington State (where engineers are unionized under SPEEA) to South Carolina, a right to work state. The machinists union of Boeing, the IAM, actually started talking to SC workers in attempts to get them to unionize, and the GM of the SC site actually sent out a note to workers saying "The unions are coming, and they're trying to take your money" in attempts to dissuade them.

Meet Mike Delaney, the Vice President of Engineering at Boeing, who worked from the business side to negotiate with SPEEA. Boeing took pensions away from new hires with the latest Boeing / SPEEA contract.

Sadly, unions are dying, and people actually believe that "right to work" is a good thing. Most of my friends are anti-union stating it's bad for business. Who gives a poo poo about a soul-less corporation and cares more about them than people?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

The IRS 'scandal' in a picture, from the inspector generals report.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

seiferguy posted:

Today, Boeing announced it's going to shift significant engineering resources out of Washington State (where engineers are unionized under SPEEA) to South Carolina, a right to work state. The machinists union of Boeing, the IAM, actually started talking to SC workers in attempts to get them to unionize, and the GM of the SC site actually sent out a note to workers saying "The unions are coming, and they're trying to take your money" in attempts to dissuade them.

Meet Mike Delaney, the Vice President of Engineering at Boeing, who worked from the business side to negotiate with SPEEA. Boeing took pensions away from new hires with the latest Boeing / SPEEA contract.

Sadly, unions are dying, and people actually believe that "right to work" is a good thing. Most of my friends are anti-union stating it's bad for business. Who gives a poo poo about a soul-less corporation and cares more about them than people?

They use the term "Centers of Excellence" to describe the union busting relocation. The immediate transfer of engineers is notable but not significant, but this news provides insight into the executive mindset that "engineering labor is a resource to eliminate".

The results of that mindset

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I just want to point out that the SA feminism thread more or less chucked the whole sitting-legs thing when a casual perusal of the tumblr in question unearthed plenty of hyperbole, thinly-veiled racism and mental write-ups. The discussion on the topic in that thread is probably worth a read.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

KazigluBey posted:

I just want to point out that the SA feminism thread more or less chucked the whole sitting-legs thing when a casual perusal of the tumblr in question unearthed plenty of hyperbole, thinly-veiled racism and mental write-ups. The discussion on the topic in that thread is probably worth a read.

It's a topic that actually has come up in several SA feminism threads, independently of that Tumblr which I hadn't seen before. I've also seen it talked about on other feminist forums/threads.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Pangea mapped with modern political borders

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
Crossposting from the Gigs of Gifs thread. Turkish protester doing a moonwalk in a gasmask.

:dance:

fake edit: if I recall correctly from the original video he appeared to be wearing a homemade mask like what was posted earlier. I know for a fact I saw people (in videos) using the anti-teargas spray that was on that same poster, so it looks like that intel is going around.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

System Metternich posted:

Funf fact: My local dialect (western Bavarian) had its own word for girls or women sitting with their legs spread ("an Groal ham"). It's all but extinct now, though.

:nms:Aftermath of a V2 attack on Antwerp, 1944:nms:

That location was a movie theatre, and today there stands a bigger movie theatre that has an engraved memorial plaque at the entrance:

"In rememberance of the 567 dead and 289 wounded on Saturday 16th of December 1944 at 15:23 caused by impact of a V-2 missile on Cinema Rex.

In thanks of the allied troops and responders who saved many lives"

Not far from there (as in - less than 2 minutes walk) is Antwerp's central train station, which also has many memorial plaques from WWI;

That wasn't the virst V2 strike either. The first V-bomb fell on Antwerp on October 13th, 1944. This one commemorates that particular event. Between October 1944 and March 1945, 722 bombs fell on Antwerp, claiming 1993 deaths/missing and over 3400 wounded. You can find memorial stones, monuments and plaques everywhere.

This one commemorating the liberation of Antwerp, which stands below a Cromwell tank;

The prison building also has a plaque commemorating the political prisoners housed there during WW2

As does the police station

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 1, 2013

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I'm pretty tall. When sitting on public transit facing a walkway, I just keep my legs together. I don't cross my legs in those situations because my foot always sticks into the walkway unless I uncomfortably force it back.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

KoldPT posted:

Cracked's always worth reading.
Winston Rowntree is always worth reading. That said, there's usually a hell of a lot to read.

Defocus. Kind of a precursor to the full version of the column you quoted.

The Nonreligious Confessional. He does a lot of stuff along this line - walls of text, but definitely worth wading through imho.

Untitled. This one dates back to the Bush presidency. I found it quite unsettling but YMMV.

Edit:

loving manspread, amirite?

Also, these two assholes, sitting with their knees apart like the overprivileged white male assholes they are

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 1, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
A really awesome little 4 minute bit of Eric Sevareid commentary about how Americans are a bunch of paranoid conspiracy theorists, something which is just as true 40 odd years after he recorded it. His overall point is that Kennedy conspiracy theory people are dumb, but it's more than just that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02RQB3F_i6o

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

Erkenntnis posted:

I feel like the fight against patriarchy has better avenues than how men sit on public transportation. Just my opinion.

The only good fight against patriarchy is my fight against patriarchy :smug:

Alternative post: You crazy feminists, why can't you focus on things that I care about? Since it's impossible to care about two things at once why do you care about this? :smug:

Also to the dude who says he can't sit with his legs closer together due to crushing his balls. You might want to have that checked out. Sounds serious.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Fishstick posted:

That location was a movie theatre, and today there stands a bigger movie theatre that has an engraved memorial plaque at the entrance:

"In rememberance of the 567 dead and 289 wounded on Saturday 16th of December 1944 at 15:23 caused by impact of a V-2 missile on Cinema Rex.

In thanks of the allied troops and responders who saved many lives"

Not far from there (as in - less than 2 minutes walk) is Antwerp's central train station, which also has many memorial plaques from WWI;

That wasn't the virst V2 strike either. The first V-bomb fell on Antwerp on October 13th, 1944. This one commemorates that particular event. Between October 1944 and March 1945, 722 bombs fell on Antwerp, claiming 1993 deaths/missing and over 3400 wounded. You can find memorial stones, monuments and plaques everywhere.

This one commemorating the liberation of Antwerp, which stands below a Cromwell tank;

The prison building also has a plaque commemorating the political prisoners housed there during WW2

The Rex Cinema was a different event. This photo seems to be from the impact on Teniersplaats. At least, according to this website.

In the end, Antwerp was the main target for the V2 rocket. Ostensibly with the aim of shutting down its harbour, which was essential for the Allied supplies, many of the V2s missed and hit the urban center.

(Click to see a huge map showing where a V1 or V2 rocket landed in Greater Antwerp)

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Fragrag posted:

The Rex Cinema was a different event. This photo seems to be from the impact on Teniersplaats. At least, according to this website.

In the end, Antwerp was the main target for the V2 rocket. Ostensibly with the aim of shutting down its harbour, which was essential for the Allied supplies, many of the V2s missed and hit the urban center.

(Click to see a huge map showing where a V1 or V2 rocket landed in Greater Antwerp)

You're right. Though, to give an idea of the scale:

Teniersplaats impact site. In the background, Central Station - about 400metres away. In the midground to the left, the Opera building. Cinema Rex was between this picture and the Central station - about 200m between impact sites.

Teniersplaats today:

The new cinema, with the first memorial plaque from my previous post, is the glass-fronted building with the two blue banners mid-left.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 1, 2013

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
In more recent Belgian news, the government has approved the tightening of Gemeentelijke Administratieve Sancties, or literally translated, Municipal Administrative Sanctions. These are fines that can be given by the municipality if you break one of their rules. Sit on a bench improperly? Throw a plastic bag in the incorrect bin? You can get fined quite substantially for doing it.
The tightening involved lowering the minimum age from 16 to 14 and increasing the maximum amount that can be fined. Of course, this hasn't had a good reception in the media and the general population.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Fragrag posted:

In more recent Belgian news, the government has approved the tightening of Gemeentelijke Administratieve Sancties, or literally translated, Municipal Administrative Sanctions. These are fines that can be given by the municipality if you break one of their rules. Sit on a bench improperly? Throw a plastic bag in the incorrect bin? You can get fined quite substantially for doing it.
The tightening involved lowering the minimum age from 16 to 14 and increasing the maximum amount that can be fined. Of course, this hasn't had a good reception in the media and the general population.

...Why is De Wever in that photo? NVA aren't even in government are they?

(Also new thin De Wever still freaks me out)

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Flaskraven posted:

Alternative post: You crazy feminists, why can't you focus on things that I care about? Since it's impossible to care about two things at once why do you care about this? :smug:

Also to the dude who says he can't sit with his legs closer together due to crushing his balls. You might want to have that checked out. Sounds serious.

Sorry, wasn't trying to be offensive.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Fishstick posted:

You'd think the police station in Antwerp would be the last place where they'd put plaques for concentration camp victims.

Experto Crede posted:

...Why is De Wever in that photo? NVA aren't even in government are they?

(Also new thin De Wever still freaks me out)
N-VA are actually part of the Flemish government, but this whole thing is mainly about the municipalities and cities - a lot of which are under N-VA control after the last elections. Bart De Wever is currently mayor of Antwerp and heavily pro GAS fines.

"Stop the political circus" - a slogan of the PVDA+, my left wing bros in Belgium.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Flaskraven posted:

femsplainer :colbert:
If a sit with my legs together on the bus I feel sick to my stomach because the bouncing of the bus crushes my testicles. Even on a smooth ride it is MUCH more comfortable to have my legs a little bit apart as it helps reduce duckbutter production.

Spirit Tree
Jan 22, 2007
Photosynthesising

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Why do women always talk about the balls? Why not the length of feet, shape of pelvis or even the bad cuts on jeans nowadays? And please don't tell men how balls are and operate, it's very condescending. Size is not the issue but sensitivity.
hahahahaha
Sorry, I got suspended from the page I got that original pic for this sort of thing. I don't think that anyone was denying how deeply uncomfortable it is for women when this happens. Or at least I wasn't. Both the fact that there is a stranger ramming his knees into you and the fact that by doing this they're taking room from you are both poo poo and you shouldn't have to put up with it.
The disconnect here is with the fact that a man would deal with this problem by employing his, loving english, uhh, uhhh, unexamined, privilege? Subconcious? Eh. He'd react with the usual jostling, say "Please move your legs" or something along those lines. This wouldn't be a problem for him, mostly.

It's why women can't do this that's gist of the problem, it seems to me. The way that they're socialized to "not cause a fuss", to take up less space and put up with having less space. Empowering women to be comfortable to take the space they need. I dunno how you'd fix the discomfort from being touched by strangers though, I guess I'm just not well versed enough to know. Eh.

You start your post with asking women not to tell you how your balls work, then finish it by telling women how they're supposed to act. You should realise how you sound when you do that. Also don't do a "Men go a doopy doopy doop" and "Women go a barpy barpy barp". Cultural trends exist but when you say "men do this, women do that" it's dishonest and overgeneralising.

Also completely unrelated to you on this, have some literature from the world's most trustworthy children's guardian.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

Miltank posted:

femsplainer :colbert:
If a sit with my legs together on the bus I feel sick to my stomach because the bouncing of the bus crushes my testicles. Even on a smooth ride it is MUCH more comfortable to have my legs a little bit apart as it helps reduce duckbutter production.

I'm a dude
I have no problem sitting with my legs together or even crossed. You might want that checked out. As long as you make an effort not to bother other people with your legs or take up more than one seat with your enormous balls I guess I won't mind. The problem is with men who unconsciously spread their legs apart to assert their dominance.
Unrelated pictures. I went to a racist page on facebook. My guilty pleasure.

Why weren't you upset when we compared a white man to an ape? Perhaps liberals are the real racists? :smug:

Obama and Hillary heard their pleas but chose to ignore them. Is this where we are now?

Also an example of a douche at a train.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Spirit Tree posted:

You start your post with asking women not to tell you how your balls work, then finish it by telling women how they're supposed to act. You should realise how you sound when you do that. Also don't do a "Men go a doopy doopy doop" and "Women go a barpy barpy barp". Cultural trends exist but when you say "men do this, women do that" it's dishonest and overgeneralising.

Also completely unrelated to you on this, have some literature from the world's most trustworthy children's guardian.

Spirit Tree, I realize this might not have been obvious, what with the line break and "hahaha" but the former part was meant in jest. I do that sometimes. But an attempt at levity that needs explaining is obviously a failure.
And I'm not sure if pointing out that men employ their sub/unconcious privilege in public spaces is dishonest and overgeneralizing, by contrasting it with the socialization that women often, but not always undergo but I'm fine on taking your word for it and trying to be more careful in my usage of language in the future. Could you suggest some better ways in which I could have phrased that? Or should I simply have elaborated more?
Pictures also unrelated.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Flaskraven posted:

I'm a dude
I have no problem sitting with my legs together or even crossed. You might want that checked out. As long as you make an effort not to bother other people with your legs or take up more than one seat with your enormous balls I guess I won't mind. The problem is with men who unconsciously spread their legs apart to assert their dominance.

Obama and Hillary heard their pleas but chose to ignore them. Is this where we are now?

I need three seats. One for me and two for the boys.

Did democrats really give Bush poo poo for taking seven minutes to talk about 9/11? (Obviously not, but I want to know if that has a kernel of truth or if it is just outright fabrication.)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Miltank posted:

Did democrats really give Bush poo poo for taking seven minutes to talk about 9/11? (Obviously not, but I want to know if that has a kernel of truth or if it is just outright fabrication.)

He was told about 9/11 while being part of some school children reading a book (My Pet Goat) as a group, and was criticized for sticking around there instead of getting involved in the situation. This is obviously completely different from Obama not ordering a response - which doesn't mean he wasn't engaged with the crisis - for a longer period of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IedVRYUNWUU

5:00 for when he's told.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVFDptvbFT8

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

That gets me every time.

Beats Mushrooms
May 2, 2011

i just gave an unfunny man 5 dollars for this avatar.
Marx's own copy of Kapital, page one:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Guess which side made this parody

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Does this look like a photoshop to anyone else? The guy looks like he has practically no weight in this picture, and his thighs aren't pinched in a bit along the edge of the seat as they would be if he was actually sitting there. He's also sitting right on top of the raised section between seats which is usually drat uncomfortable.

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Ok but to be fair, that tumblr is criticizing perfectly normal sitting behavior in addition to the rude individuals taking up more than their own space:

"these two were together, like dating, and still found it necessary to take up three seats"

This is definitely bullshit. Those particular cars have seats that alternate orange/yellow/orange or yellow/orange/yellow. These two are indeed sitting rather intimately together, considering they're talking up about a seat and a half. Maybe they actually are dating.

I hate myself for contributing to spreadchat, but I do think there is some validity in discussing even minor things like this as it pertains to the discussion of the patriarchy as a whole. It's obvious that social conditioning is in play here. Men are taught that the masculine standard is to take up the space that's comfortable for you, that you shouldn't defer to the comfort of others and fold in on yourself because it makes you look meek and submissive. Normally this isn't much of an issue because if you're out and about and standing or sitting somewhere and someone is getting in your personal space then they rightfully ought to gently caress off because there's room elsewhere. But when you're riding on public transport it's absolutely vital that you stay spatially aware and have some regard for your fellow passengers. Guys who spread their legs way out when the trains are already crowded are dicks and ought to have some loving consideration.

I ride the train a lot. A loving lot. I've had a ridiculous commute and I've dealt with all sorts of people on the train. I live near the end of a line, so when I get on the train there are usually lots of seats available. I grab and end seat, and I'll plop myself down comfortably, usually with some leg spread. And I'll stay that way until the train starts to fill up and seats start becoming scarce, at which point I'll turn myself a bit and create enough room for anyone who might want the seat next to me. I think that's considerate enough, but I bet if the person running that tumblr saw me I'd end up right up there with the rest of the pictures as an example of an oppressive man who only cares about himself.

I don't like that tumblr because it seems incredibly dishonest. I think a lot of the pictures there are carefully shot to make innocuous situations seem like a big deal.

Like these two pictures, which were supposed to showcase the amount of space men give other men vs the space they give women:

Now, is this a guy being a total dick and getting entirely into this woman's personal space? Or is this a couple sitting intimately together? They're both clearly facing each other and probably talking.

Frankly, I think the issue is that the seats on the MTA are too goddamn small. I have fairly broad shoulders so my options are often to inconvenience the people sitting next to me, or lean way the gently caress forward and sit uncomfortably for half an hour to make things easier for them. If on overweight person takes a seat, they're likely to infringe on the personal space of the passengers next to them even if they don't spread their legs at all. If we had trains running more frequently, then the crowding wouldn't get so bad and nobody would give a poo poo about people taking up an extra few inches of space.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

goomsnarr
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, yeah...
I flew into Paris (Brit Goon) the weekend after 9/11, and there was the weirdest feeling in the air. Obviously a lot of tension at the airports, but also a much increased Gendarme presence at main intersections/tourist areas. They were in groups of 3 or 4; 1 or 2 Gendarme and 2 soldiers. I had lunch near the Eiffel Tower in the park and noticed that all the troops had their weapons chained (literally, a short length of metal link) to their webbing/vest; I remember thinking how eminently sensible that seemed.
As a side note, that was one of the best sandwiches (half baguette with ham and cheese with salad filling) I've ever had.

That night I watched the French equivalent of Spitting Image showing Bush being so inept he was literally unable to find the only button on his desk (it was The Button, you know...) to be able to retaliate.

One of the many unflattering results of a Google Image Search for "Bush looking intelligent".

How a Republican was represented by the BBC in "Holby City", a British hospital drama series.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Flaskraven posted:

Sorry you care about whiny poo poo with racist subtexts on Tumblr, very nice~

Ugh just look at this sit privilege.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
Oh. My. loving. God. Can we all just agree that racism, sexism, and bigotry in general are bad, that fighting those is necessary if conservative ideology/class society is going to be dismantled, and that there are a lot of people on tumblr who're bad at talking about things? And then get the thread back to being all catty piss-takes of the military/historical figures/general approval of leftist causes? Please?

Well I see absolutely no subtext here whatsoever.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Kit Walker posted:

Frankly, I think the issue is that the seats on the MTA are too goddamn small.

Seats everywhere are too small for those of us on the right side of the bell curve for height :(

In case anyone forgot about this ad, here it is again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwawPMSJins

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Pulled from my Facebook as a tornado, that killed 7 people so far, was literally bearing down on south west OKC.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

:fsmug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Bosporus Bridge today.

• Locked thread