Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

He also forgot Legend of the Seven Paladins! Which can only be deliberate, because who could forget this crap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-MI4iS8aYU

No lie, I'd like a fixed up version of Legend of the Seven Paladins. One where enemies didn't fling dozens of projectiles at you.

He also forgot Powerslave and Extreme Paint Brawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I also unfortunately played NAM and WWII, two of the most wretched gaming experiences I've seen. I've sunk time into some pretty dreadful stuff over the years, but I gave up after the first level for both.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Ugh, holy poo poo. I saw NAM and holy god I've played crap .wads that were far better than that.

Are there any tips for Shadow Warrior? I keep running out of ammo way too quickly on both the Shareware episode and the game proper. :smith:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

JackMackerel posted:

Are there any tips for Shadow Warrior? I keep running out of ammo way too quickly on both the Shareware episode and the game proper. :smith:

Be careful around corners and don't worry about using your sword. It's awesome and will kill a lot of things super fast.

Also, I saw a copy of NAM at a store while I was in California. I considered picking it up. There's a lot of things I regret not picking up at that store. NAM isn't one of them. I also saw a copy of Nuke It in a different store down there. Also decided to skip it. I figured that any of the good maps on there have already been kept around and recommended and everything else on it deserves its obscurity.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The Oculus is pretty much the only thing I could think of that would make playing through Doom a fresh experience again.

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
I tried Duke Meets Doom which could be the worst 2.5D FPS thing I've ever played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMEp8xysHuE

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

JackMackerel posted:

Ugh, holy poo poo. I saw NAM and holy god I've played crap .wads that were far better than that.

Huh...what skill are you playing on? I'm playing through it as well and I've got far far too much ammo - the max ammo limit in SW is pretty low and the pickups all give you a huge amount of ammo for the guns.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

In the early levels, learn how to slice and dice with the sword. The game is much stingier with ammo, but I generally got by with the uzi or riot shotgun. Never did find a good use for the sticky bombs though - they always awkwardly landed in front of me and dealt major damage.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

erotic dad posted:

I tried Duke Meets Doom which could be the worst 2.5D FPS thing I've ever played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMEp8xysHuE
Well, if anything good has come of this, it's that I remembered that Duke mod repository exists. Guess I'll have to update the OP soon!

Also! Do you want ten more hours of Deus Ex 1? Sure you do! Deus Ex: Nihilum is out!

The Kins fucked around with this message at 11:39 on May 31, 2013

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

JackMackerel posted:

I...I loved Nam (Napalm for me since I bought it at Wal-Mart.) Loved it as a 9 year old, before I realized what good video games are. The music was superb!

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

I cheat to win posted:

Would anyone be interested in some Quakeworld deathmatch?

I would love to, where are you from?

e: Keenan, your Q3 server doesn't work.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Updated the OP with a couple of links and the info on Keenan's server. Any other changes I should make?

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

The Kins posted:

Updated the OP with a couple of links and the info on Keenan's server. Any other changes I should make?

You should recommend Bmouse in the Blood section and warn that SWP likes to eat your save files in the Shadow Warrior section.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 31, 2013

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

catlord posted:

I also saw a copy of Nuke It in a different store down there. Also decided to skip it. I figured that any of the good maps on there have already been kept around and recommended and everything else on it deserves its obscurity.

Seriously, just go to http://dukerepository.com and download whatever high-rated maps look the most interesting. I downloaded dozens in the 82+ range, picking and choosing, and there were still tons of quality maps that I passed over.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Bloodmobile posted:

I would love to, where are you from?

e: Keenan, your Q3 server doesn't work.

Seems to be up. We just connected to it with no issue. Are you using ioQuake3? (It's also set to vanilla Quake right now).

The Kins posted:

Thank you so much! I'm thinking of setting up a regular/semi-regular schedule to play some of the games.

Additionally, I'm going to add Quake 1/Quake 2 to the lineup soon.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Commander Keenan posted:

Seems to be up. We just connected to it with no issue. Are you using ioQuake3? (It's also set to vanilla Quake right now).

Tried with CNQ3, ioQ3 and regular Q3. None of them were able to connect. MAXBrowse says the server's ping is 9999 and players are 0/0.

vvv Turns out I ping 160+ to it. Shame, playing Quake with goons has always been a good time.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 31, 2013

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Bloodmobile posted:

Tried with CNQ3, ioQ3 and regular Q3. None of them were able to connect. MAXBrowse says the server's ping is 9999 and players are 0/0.

Turns out I'm dumber than I thought! IP should be 76.72.167.204:27970. Thought it was set to the default port. Looking into it.

Edit: should be fixed now. 76.72.167.204:27960 is what it should be.

Commander Keenan fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 31, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Are there any tips for making Shadow Warrior not feel like garbage? I don't know what it is but compared to Duke3D and Blood I've always had a hard time with movement and aiming in Shadow Warrior and I don't know why that is.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

The Kins posted:

You could link Quake HD: http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-talk/single-player/7306-quake-hd-new-spawns.html

(I prefer it over Epsilon myself.)

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Yodzilla posted:

Are there any tips for making Shadow Warrior not feel like garbage? I don't know what it is but compared to Duke3D and Blood I've always had a hard time with movement and aiming in Shadow Warrior and I don't know why that is.

Don't know man, played it yesterday and I was honestly just bunny hopping around in joy. The jumps you can make are huge and you have quite a bit of air control. Not even sure if my little self used to have always run on like this, but it's amazing. To be fair I also turned on auto-aim (because up and down aiming is awful) and was playing on second difficulty. Super fun tho.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Maybe that's my problem. I don't think I had auto aim on and I was getting wrecked.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Kins posted:

Also! Do you want ten more hours of Deus Ex 1? Sure you do! Deus Ex: Nihilum is out!

Holy poo poo YES :aaaaa: there are still people working on Deus Ex 1? Whatever, don't care, awesome. Gonna play the hell out of this.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Mother of God...

Is that a beltfed machinegun?

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

catlord posted:

Be careful around corners and don't worry about using your sword. It's awesome and will kill a lot of things super fast.

Noted. Finally, a melee weapon that isn't crap to use. (Besides the chainsaw.)

Jblade posted:

Huh...what skill are you playing on? I'm playing through it as well and I've got far far too much ammo - the max ammo limit in SW is pretty low and the pickups all give you a huge amount of ammo for the guns.

Hard mode (I forget the name of it). I'm the worst 90s FPSer :negative:

Commander Keenan posted:

I...I loved Nam (Napalm for me since I bought it at Wal-Mart.) Loved it as a 9 year old, before I realized what good video games are. The music was superb!

Don't worry, I thought Space Jam was a good video game as a kid :V

I have Jurassic Park: Trespasser and I'm tired of it gathering dust on my HDD. Does anyone know what the most recommended overhaul mod is? There's a billion of them and I don't know which one to pick.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Why wouldn't you play Trespasser vanilla? :v:

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010
I tried Shadow Warrior on the third skill and went down one pretty drat fast. All build games seem to be really tough on the higher difficulties, usually due to hitscan enemies with lightning reflexes and ridiculous damage.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shadow Warrior is ridiculously difficult and I have no idea how someone could claim that Blood is harder

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
It's been years since I played the game, but weren't some of the higher-level NPC ninjas like aimbots, especially on higher difficulties? I seem to recall that the NPC "shadow warriors" were basically semi-invisible humans who could summon firewalls and generally wreck your poo poo with hitscan weapons.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I was looking through wads to try and find something I haven't seen before when I came across Pirate Doom. I think it got a passing mention in this thread maybe a month ago. I wasn't expecting much. The imps have pirate hats and the zombies have eye patches. I played through a bit of Doom 2 with it when I remembered it came with it's own maps. It turns out they're amazing. I was really blown away by it. After so much Brutal Doom I'm liking how lighthearted this is. If you haven't played it, play it. I don't want to spoil the levels any. So far it's kept topping itself.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Flubby posted:

I was looking through wads to try and find something I haven't seen before when I came across Pirate Doom. I think it got a passing mention in this thread maybe a month ago. I wasn't expecting much. The imps have pirate hats and the zombies have eye patches. I played through a bit of Doom 2 with it when I remembered it came with it's own maps. It turns out they're amazing. I was really blown away by it. After so much Brutal Doom I'm liking how lighthearted this is. If you haven't played it, play it. I don't want to spoil the levels any. So far it's kept topping itself.

This is pretty great, thanks.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Richard Cobbett posted a pretty good write-up on Blood today for PC Gamer:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/01/saturday-crapshoot-blood

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I found that Shadow Warror was easier because you have lots of ways to quickly wipe out enemies. The Grenade Launcher can clear out rooms before you even step foot in them, the Missile Launcher makes quick work out of any hitscan enemies, enemies are dumb enough that Sticky Bombs actually work well, the Nuke will gently caress up any non boss or mini-boss enemy with one shot, and the clone of you created by the Ripper Heart can wipe the floor with a room of enemies in a matter of seconds.

In Blood, you have either the Napalm Cannon, which is good, or the clunky TNT. I found Blood's combat a lot more frustrating than either Duke 3D or Shadow Warrior because you didn't have anything nearly as effective as the Grenade Launcher, Pipebomb, Devastator, Nuke or Ripper Heart. Shadow Warrior and Duke also don't have those loving fire dogs that relentlessly pursue you and can hack off like 40 HP if the fire they spew simply touches you. :v:

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 2, 2013

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

closeted republican posted:

I found that Shadow Warror was easier because you have lots of ways to quickly wipe out enemies. The Grenade Launcher can clear out rooms before you even step foot in them, the Missile Launcher makes quick work out of any hitscan enemies, enemies are dumb enough that Sticky Bombs actually work well, the Nuke will gently caress up any non boss or mini-boss enemy with one shot, and the clone of you created by the Ripper Heart can wipe the floor with a room of enemies in a matter of seconds.

In Blood, you have either the Napalm Cannon, which is good, or the clunky TNT. I found Blood's combat a lot more frustrating than either Duke 3D or Shadow Warrior because you didn't have anything nearly as effective as the Grenade Launcher, Pipebomb, Devastator, Nuke or Ripper Heart. Shadow Warrior and Duke also don't have those loving fire dogs that relentlessly pursue you and can hack off like 40 HP if the fire they spew simply touches you. :v:
I was just thinking this last night when I saw that post. In SW you can do a metric gently caress-ton of damage in a relatively short amount of time, and you don't have to worry about enemies being resistant to certain kinds of attacks. In Blood, most of the bigger enemies have resistance to explosives or can only be really hurt effectively with the higher tier weapons, which are pretty rare depending on what level you're playing. This isn't a complaint though since it makes Blood's combat way more visceral than SW or Duke's. Duke is my favourite of the 3 no contest but as far as actual gameplay goes I'd say Blood is the best, followed by Shadow Warrior. The bosses in Shadow Warrior are pushovers, and Dukes are only problems if you don't have enough room to move. Blood's bosses are hard as balls and do huge amounts of damage.

Also I just remembered that the enemies in Blood move a lot faster than things in Shadow Warrior and Duke. Their health is also actually increased on the higher difficulty levels (which as far as I know doesn't happen in Shadow Warrior, it just increases the amount of enemies in a level - to me that's a better way to do it rather than just buffing an enemy's health) I remember hearing that an enemy's health is also increased based on how many people are playing Co-op - apparently if you were playing with a full team of 8 players, Tchernobog has so much health that there wasn't actually enough ammunition in the entire game to beat him.

Jblade fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 2, 2013

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Flubby posted:

Wow, this is pretty great. Amusingly the project is now renamed "Corsair Doom" as file sharing websites didn't like the original title :laugh:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Oh, hell yes. Project MSX is back - new version due out at the end of the month, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s8oGz0TUHY

Really good gameplay mod. Manages to feel both 'modern' and doom-ish at the same time. So, UAC Ultra is the recommended default level pack for it, Back to Saturn X is another good, detailed techbase campaign - any others that would fit?

Can't wait to power-punch some Barons in their stupid goaty faces.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 2, 2013

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Good news, Project MSX is one of my favourite mods (the energy punch is awesome) and is nice to see that the UI got improved for widescreen aside from other stuff. Charging a grenade with your shield's energy? :hellyeah:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Dominic White posted:

Oh, hell yes. Project MSX is back - new version due out at the end of the month, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s8oGz0TUHY

Really good gameplay mod. Manages to feel both 'modern' and doom-ish at the same time. So, UAC Ultra is the recommended default level pack for it, Back to Saturn X is another good, detailed techbase campaign - any others that would fit?

Man that seems really good! I love the "spend shield-power to power up attacks" mechanic. :haw:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Shadowmorn posted:

Man that seems really good! I love the "spend shield-power to power up attacks" mechanic. :haw:

The first version was pretty great. It didn't have a full set of weapons or enemy replacements yet, but what was there was excellent. Looks like version 2 is fleshing it out a lot more. Widescreen support now, too, as mentioned above.

It takes a lot of modern concepts, but it ends up feeling like something completely new, as it has Doom style enemy swarms, speed (even faster, in fact) and projectile weapons, but all the quirks you expect from a modern sci-fi shooter too.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Dominic White posted:

Seems to me that not many wads are going to be designed with a giant power jump in mind. Seems to me that when you have a mod that does as much stuff as that, you probably want to create maps specifically for it (or better yet, make it a standalone work since it has long-since lost all similarity to Doom).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Project MSX looks totally awesome, I hope the next beta release is on-schedule. Why can't people who get paid large amounts of money to make video games create fun combinations of old and new mechanics?