Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

EJO has always got your back. Shouldn't you return the favor?

TheHotCarl posted:

BOSTON

The outlining on the bottom half of the dress looks like the prudential center, arguably the most prominent building in the city. Like you can walk around anywhere in back bay and find your way by referencing where it is. The castle-like structure on her cuff looks like trinity church, which is right on copley plaza, but it could also easily be the christian science center, which adjoins the prudential tower, and has a very disney-esque castle style if you're near that giant reflecting pond looking on the christian science center building. Of course copley and christian science park are really close to each other...

The prudential, and then christian science park near it, then the image:

I think you're right that the Prudential Center is part of her dress, but I think it's actually represented by the checkered patterning draping from her sleeves, which would be it's windows. If we expand on the idea of her being a map(still inverted in my pic), then it would be in line, but not in the frame.

Can anyone confirm if the object circled at the bottom of the pic below is a water fountain? And also what is that thing that's dead center between the possible fountain and the Robert Shaw Memorial?

Bea Nanner posted:

I thank that weird rat-haired hand holding the mask isn't given enough attention and is significant somehow. What the gently caress is that thing? If we can find out, that's another clue.

You should check out my post from page 10.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=416043229#post416043229

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

I did. You are a crazy person who sees things that aren't there.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bea Nanner posted:

I thank that weird rat-haired hand holding the mask isn't given enough attention and is significant somehow. What the gently caress is that thing? If we can find out, that's another clue.

This is the weirdest thing to me. It HAS to be significant. It's fingers are in a very deliberate pose and are very peculiar looking.

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

Bea Nanner posted:

I did. You are a crazy person who sees things that aren't there.

Certainly possible. But the speculation is fun, and there are some pretty crazy stuff in these clues, so no harm in throwing it out there and seeing if it triggers an idea for someone else. I think the saddest thing is that we will probably never know if any of us are even close to right.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

As far as that goes, the fairy in the Charleston image looks vaguely African-American and has bracelets that vaguely resemble manacles. Slavery? There are a few places in Charleston still associated with slavery, such as the Old Slave Mart, etc.

The colors on the mask are also representative of African culture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-African_colours

And Charleston has a strong history in that regard:

http://www.africanamericancharleston.com

OliverObtuse
Nov 30, 2005

ROCKET FUEL MALT LIQUOR, DAMN!
Could the line in Verse 5 about "the only standing member of a forest" be talking about the Angel Oak Tree on John's Island in Charleston?

We were just there this last weekend (SC Goon here) and my friends were talking about a time they just had to come see this old tree. Any idea there?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

BonoMan posted:

This is the weirdest thing to me. It HAS to be significant. It's fingers are in a very deliberate pose and are very peculiar looking.

N.O.

I agree. I read on a wikipedia or some article that's been posted in here that it might be related to the Joan of Arc statue in the Quarter; but I think there might be something else to it.

Actually, there is. I'm stupid and forgot about the Rougarou :doh:

Devyl fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 3, 2013

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

The Adama posted:

Can anyone confirm if the object circled at the bottom of the pic below is a water fountain? And also what is that thing that's dead center between the possible fountain and the Robert Shaw Memorial?

It is a water fountain.

I notice that there are a lot of other little circles/indentations in the stonework as well and wonder if they line up.

I think that the library was my first thought reading the clue and think it's definitely the right place to start. Not sure how you end up in Boston Common and suspect it's closer as has been suggested.

Edit: Also, I think that, in particular, her left side of hair looks suspiciously like the waterfront wharves.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 3, 2013

ruebennase
Oct 18, 2011
NYC

Delthalaz posted:

Ugh, so I wasted a lot of time on google and I think I came up with nothing but I might as well throw this out here.

I was thinking about the hard word thing. I think the Calhoun reference is just someone else who was thinking about the puzzle.

So, there's "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Journal_of_Sir_Walter_Scott" which contains "A hard word so spelld on the Authority of Miss Scott now Mrs. Lockhart" on the front page, the hard word meaning Gurnal (journal). There is also a 3-volume edition to his journal in circulation around the time of the puzzle but I think originally it was two volumes. There's a statue to Sir Walter Scott in Central Park. Hard word could also refer to dictionaries - like Noah Webster's, and there was a 3-volume edition of Webster's around the time of the puzzle too, but the only statue to Noah Webster I could find is in West Hartford.

e: the scott journal's manuscripts are located in the morgan library and museum:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Morgan_Library_%26_Museum

Not too far west from St. Vartan's park and a little south and west of the UN building

Yeah, I've been struggling with the hard word thing as well.

I thought since Hard is capitalized it could be referring to a proper name, but "people named Hard" only got me to a Civil War veteran who doesn't seem to be connected.

Authors named Hard doesn't lead anywhere either.

The closest would probably be Thomas Hardy, who did write "The Dynasts", an epic drama in three volumes ("epic poem" is apparently also another definition of "rhapsody") but I can't find any connection between Hardy and NYC.

Maybe try translating "Hard" or "Hard words" into another language? Russian? Hell, I don't know.

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

Cask 6, St. Augustine

Does anyone have a good resource for getting older aerial shots of places, or just older maps in general? It looks, at least to me, that the clues will lead to/from Anastasia State Park. Enough features line up currently, but it would be interesting to see what the shoreline was like closer to the 80's.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Re: Milwaukee, here's a listing of all public outdoor art.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_public_art_in_Milwaukee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Outdoor_sculptures_in_Milwaukee,_Wisconsin

Some of them have handy videos of the piece and surrounding area.

Random thoughts:

Of the two located, it seems like only the first few lines deal with identifying the park where the cask is, the rest is intra-park detail. The clue's portrait is really, really sparse with extra poo poo, so I'm thinking that pattern around the figure's neck is critical.

Chicago's did have an imitation of a sculpture, and that juggler's hand + direction facing is extremely similar to Juneau's.

However, no idea how any of this ties into Germany.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Google Earth has a timeline feature that will let you see aerial shots from different dates, if available. It can be a crapshoot (my town's got nothing before 1997, for instance) but it might be useful in some cases.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

BOSTON

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

It is a water fountain.

I notice that there are a lot of other little circles/indentations in the stonework as well and wonder if they line up.

I think that the library was my first thought reading the clue and think it's definitely the right place to start. Not sure how you end up in Boston Common and suspect it's closer as has been suggested.

Edit: Also, I think that, in particular, her left side of hair looks suspiciously like the waterfront wharves.

I work on the NE corner of Copley Square, so this has become something of a brainworm. I put this together after some tinkering and will be walking around on my lunch breaks this week, so let me know if anyone has any groundbreaking amazing theories and I'd be happy to take point if at all reasonable. Check it out:

The pattern on her dress is strikingly similar to the pathways of the W. side of the Boston Public Garden that abuts Arlington. The white lines are from Google, so mentally adjust for new/precise vs. renovated several times/hand-drawn.

(Fuzzy reddish text on the right is the label for the George Washington statue).

It gets better, though. I knew that some major work has gone on in Boston since the time the book was written so I tracked down a map from the '60s to correct for any updates that would be shown on more contemporary maps. I started overlaying it in various ways and it turns out that there are only two figure-4 intersections in the relevant area of Boston that are rotated correctly on proper, North-oriented map, and Copley Square USED to be one of them. There are hotels, etc. with 'Copley Plaza' still in their names instead of the more current 'Copley Square' because it wasn't a square back in the day. It was bisected into two triangles, just like on the lady's sleeve.

So, when you overlay a correctly scaled, North-oriented map and line up the old Copley figure-4 intersection with the 4 on her bracelet, something cool happens: The jewel the pixie is holding precisely frames the George Washington monument in the Public Gardens. It's the same exact, entire area which is shown in granular detail on the front of the lady's dress.

And about the hair on her left/our right looking like wharves? With the map overlay above, her 'wharf hair' forms the border on the overlaid map of the part of Back Bay which used to be underwater.

Am I going nuts? I may just be too close to it and my eyes are starting to cross. gently caress this painting...

E: Boston Common is not Boston Public Garden!

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 3, 2013

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Has anyone been able to find a copy of this book? I feel compelled to buy a copy.

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

CASK 10, BIG NEWS(maybe)

I'll put up the evidence in a sec, but I think I just figured out something totally cool. That, or I really am nuts. Anyway, I don't think Cask 10 is in Milwaukee. It's in Milwaukie. Oregon.

And, the most awesome part, is I actually live close enough to go there.

Edit: Although, maybe it's just a red herring. I think the artist definitely used this as the basis for the painting, but I have no idea about any landmarks in the area that would match as well as the ones in Wisconsin. But it's close enough to go look around.

The Adama fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 3, 2013

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands
Disclaimer: I only know anything about the book and riddles from this thread.

"The tale of the fair people"

Does this have any relevance in the story? Could this be in reference to World's Fairs? As in; cities that have hosted worlds fairs? Chicago, Cleveland, Houston, San Fran, NYC, Montreal? That would make some assumed location wrong, as they haven't hosted world's fairs...but I'm not sure how solid the assumptions are.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Mister Fister posted:

Has anyone been able to find a copy of this book? I feel compelled to buy a copy.

I've actually had a copy since the book first came out, but it's buried in storage somewhere. (I remember as a kid thinking it was totally cool and I was going to figure out the puzzles and find the treasure. Yeah, not so much.)

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

HoboZero posted:

BOSTON

The pattern on her dress is strikingly similar to the pathways of the W. side of the commons that abuts Arlington. The white lines are from Google, so mentally adjust for new/precise vs. renovated several times/hand-drawn.

(Fuzzy reddish text on the right is the label for the George Washington statue).

The area you've identified is not part of Boston Common, it's actually The Boston Public Garden.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

The Adama posted:

CASK 10, BIG NEWS(maybe)

I'll put up the evidence in a sec, but I think I just figured out something totally cool. That, or I really am nuts. Anyway, I don't think Cask 10 is in Milwaukee. It's in Milwaukie. Oregon.

OK so a part of a map matches, sort of. Is there anything there about Mitchell? Stairs? Harpsichord? I mean, anything besides the map thing???

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

RadioPassive posted:

The area you've identified is not part of Boston Common, it's actually The Boston Public Garden.

Ah, gotcha- I just moved here a couple months ago so my specifics are a little off.

Scipio Africanus
Dec 4, 2005

Enslave the Elephants!

The Adama posted:

The thing in the middle of the image is an emergency exit for the T. It's closed off but the T cops occasionally have to flush homeless people out during the winter. The station and that part of the Common went under a big renovation/retrofit project recently, not sure how much was excavated.

"A green tower of lights
In the middle section
Near those
Who pass the coliseum
With metal walls"

Sounds a lot like Fenway and the giant towers of light there. I've been able to see them from two of my apartments so I immediately thought of that.

allta
Mar 28, 2011
Sorry Goons, something came up and I didn't get around to finishing the summaries today! As much as I would have loved to use the excuse "I can't because I have to assist people from the internet in solving a 31 year old treasure hunt" I don't think I would have helped much.

I have them mostly written and as much as I'd like to submit them in the state there in I think they'd cause more confusion than help anyone!

I'll have them all up tomorrow periodically, I promise!

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Viking Blood posted:

Disclaimer: I only know anything about the book and riddles from this thread.

"The tale of the fair people"

Does this have any relevance in the story? Could this be in reference to World's Fairs? As in; cities that have hosted worlds fairs? Chicago, Cleveland, Houston, San Fran, NYC, Montreal? That would make some assumed location wrong, as they haven't hosted world's fairs...but I'm not sure how solid the assumptions are.

Sounds good, but I think some of the most solid assumption locations are non-world-fair cities/areas.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

Abugadu posted:

Sounds good, but I think some of the most solid assumption locations are non-world-fair cities/areas.

Yeah, Boston being the most solid of these.

Pilot to Gunner
Aug 21, 2009

That's what you get, you get fork stabbed.

The Adama posted:

CASK 10, BIG NEWS(maybe)

Edit: Although, maybe it's just a red herring. I think the artist definitely used this as the basis for the painting, but I have no idea about any landmarks in the area that would match as well as the ones in Wisconsin. But it's close enough to go look around.

I don't think he would use a residential swimming pool as the jewel along a slightly similar upside down shoreline.

It's really easy to make things match if you want them to. Me and a friend jokingly decided to pick a random city to assign to cask 12 and went with Detroit. Within a few minutes we had a lot of "evidence" that it was Detroit. Cars do abound in Detroit! Isle of B is Belle Isle! The lion face on her dress is the lion from the Scott Memorial Fountain! Native to indies might mean Alexander Hamilton and there is the Alexander Hamilton Middle School! Whoa, and a nearby sign dedicated to native americans! 3 vols= the big 3 carmakers but if they are referring to Dante's three volumes, there is also that statue of Dante on Belle Isle and he was rhapsodic! The largest skyscraper in Detroit is grey and rectangular!

You could seriously do this with almost any city and make it fit if you tried.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Viking Blood posted:

Yeah, Boston being the most solid of these.

According to Wiki, Boston hosted a recognized World's Fair in 1883. The only city not on that list somewhere that's being discussed is St. Augustine, I think.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

According to Wiki, Boston hosted a recognized World's Fair in 1883. The only city not on that list somewhere that's being discussed is St. Augustine, I think.

Well well. I see that Miami has hosted as well. The other host that has a Spanish (Mexican) history is San Antonio

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Charleston

Don't think there's ever been a world's fair in Charleston, either.

bonestructure posted:

Cask 2 - Charleston SC

Sullivan's Island was a good guess, but I think that the verse for this cask is 6, not 5, and it's talking about Hampton Park. The first clue is the huge lion that dominates the image; in the 1950s and 60s, all the way into the early 70s, there was a public zoo in Hampton Park, and its primary attraction was a very unhappy African lion in a small cage. He roared continually, especially at night, and people living around the park complained about him. I remember visiting the park and seeing the lion as a child many times. There are two other things that make me think it's Hampton Park, which are the references to May 1913 and to the Fair remuneration. There was, at the time the book was published, a capstan from the USS Maine in Hampton Park (it has since been moved to White Point Gardens on the Battery) that was put in place in May 1913. Hampton Park was also the site of the Charleston Exposition, which was formally named the Interstate and West Indian Trade Fair. The landscape architect who designed most of the park was John Charles Olmsted, the son of renowned land designer Frederic Law Olmsted (where law defended?.)

There are a number of Confederate monuments in Hampton Park (it's named after a Confederate general, Wade Hampton.) That could fit "Men of tales and tunes, cruel and bold." Another prominent feature of the park when the zoo was open was an aviary ("listen to the birds"), which is close to the park's reflecting pool and fountain ("the cool, clear song of water.") The "white house close at hand" could be the park's large white band stand, which is the only remaining original building from the park's founding (if you interpret loosely, over the years almost all of the individual elements of the bandstand have been replaced at one time or another) or it could refer to the colonial Washington Race Course that was originally on the site. The main building of the Citadel military college across the way is another candidate, though I'd describe it more as a fortress or castle than a house. "Edwin and Edwina named after him" almost makes sense to me, it sounds like a reference to Edwin Harleston and his daughter Edwina (Harleston Village is an area of Charleston close to Hampton Park.) "On the eighth" could be Eighth Avenue, which runs into the park. "Below the bar that binds" sounds like a reference to the bridge that spans the two sides of the long reflecting pool.

I'm not having a lot of luck matching up the images in the illustration other than the lion, though. The round things that are a repeating motif are almost certainly earthquake bolts on the buildings downtown, so it would probably be a matter of looking for bolts with an endcap pattern that matches the drawing. The map overlays pretty well on a map of the downtown peninsula, but I'm not sure what the hairpin shape represents. The legs of it seem to parallel King and Meeting Streets, with White Point Gardens at the end as it goes out into the water. In fact, White Point Gardens was my first thought, but that seemed too easy, the Battery is hands-down the most famous spot in Charleston. The pear, pine tree, and daisy have me baffled.

This is a neat theory, but it it has some problems. For one thing, the lion exhibit closed as of 1975, which would probably be too many years prior to the book's publication. The lion could just be a generic Africa reference, though, which fits in with other details we have, as per the poem for Cask 2:

quote:

Cask 2, Africa
"Africa's Diamond, earth-born star,
Bright harvest of the midnight rock."

Otherwise your thoughts on Edwin and Edwina Harleston are worth considering, only so many "Edwinas" out there.

I still think Poem 2 is worth considering, but Poem 2 is nigh indecipherable:

quote:

At the place where jewels abound
Fifteen rows down to the ground
In the middle of twenty-one
From end to end
Only three stand watch
As the sound of friends
Fills the afternoon hours
Here is a sovereign people
Who build palaces to shelter
Their heads for a night!
Gnomes admire
Fays delight
The namesakes meeting
Near this site.

"A Sovereign People" could be a civil war reference -- South Carolina was first to secede. And the antebellum homes in downtown Charleston certainly are "palaces to shelter / their heads for a night!" The same might be said of New Orleans, though.

One possible answer is that the reference to "Iberia" is a reference to Moorish Iberia, and another veiled Africa reference.

EDIT:

ANother possibility, though: Marion Square park in Charleston could fit with verse 5 in that the old Citadel building, which is literally shaped like a castle, is directly adjacent to the park on the north side.

2nd edit: I'm really dense and momentarily confused CASK 2 with VERSE 2.

3rd EDIT: More I think about it, yeah, Hampton Park kinda works. It was founded at the "West Indian" exposition in 1900, "the birth of a century."

Is there any actual sand at Hampton Park though? Unfortunately I fear the park's had some major renovation since the 1980's.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 3, 2013

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Sham I Am posted:

Roanoke

just a dump of the symbols on the armor, the keys and the bells in the hope that someone would get hit by some inspiration on what they may represent.

also if anyone actually goes to the gardens, could you see if they have a map of the trails? maybe they match up to the cracks on the wall.

E: for some clarification

One of those (upper right) is St. George's Cross, which flies on flags above the entrance to the Elizabethan Gardens.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

xie posted:

Those windows just don't work for NY unless we throw out everything we know about the solved ones. Nothing looks "kinda like" anything. The Chicago Water Tower, the mounted guy with a drawn bow, the negative space image of the tower in Cleveland, the wall where the Cleveland one was buried, the fountain, cup, and lion's head are all almost exact copies of their real life counterparts.
I completely agree. I want to challenge a few assumptions we've been working on for cask 12.

First, we have the bird that's only somewhat similar to the Chrysler Building gargoyles

Second, the outline of the dress sort of looks like Manhattan if you don't look too closely

Third, the similarity between the woman's face and the Statue of Liberty's face isn't nearly as strong as people are making it out to be. Liberty has a broad, flat nose while the woman's is thin. Liberty has a strong chin and the woman's is a lot softer. They both have their hair parted in the middle, but that's the only similarity I see

I see the 74 in the water, but I think it's a stretch to conclude that the other squiggles are the number 41. I think we should reconsider our certainty that this one is New York and see if it fits anywhere else.

The line "Edwin and Edwina named after him" in Verse 6 seems to be an obvious reference to Edwin Booth and his daughter, if that verse does end up tied to NYC, that gives you the Booth Theater on Broadway, which would tie in nicely with

Of all the romance retold
Men of tales and tunes
Cruel and bold
Seen here
By eyes of old

since Edwin was a Shakespearean actor, and the statue of him in Gramercy Park.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Okay so I absolutely need to stop now so I'm going to post the crazy thoughts I've been having in an effort to get them out of my head.

Assuming this works with the new york image.

quote:

Verse 6
Men of tales and tunes
Cruel and bold
Seen here
By eyes of old

Okay, sounds like a playhouse or a courthouse
Stand and listen to the birds
Hear the cool, clear song of water
Harken to the words:
Freedom at the birth of a century
Or May 1913

I am mystified by this.
Edwin and Edwina named after him
As folks at the other forum noted, this has to be a reference to Edwin and Edwina Booth. According to the internet, Edwin Booth was named after Edwin Forrest, a notable American 19th century actor, so in a sense, his daughter was named after him too.

One of the things Edwin Forrest is most famous for is his incitement of the Astor Place Riot over rival performances of MacBeth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astor_Place_Riot)
[img]

Or on the eighth a scene
Eighth street? Scene eight? Let's say follow eight street..

Where law defended
Between two arms extended
Below the bar that binds

If we follow eighth street from here we get to a library that used to be a court house - the Jefferson Market Library (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Market_Library)

http://untappedcities.com/tag/jefferson-market-library/

This former courthouse features beautiful stained glass windows created by Charles Booth. Some of the designs are quite geometrical, which may resemble the NY art (or not)

The courthouse also apparently has an unusual Tympanum depicting the trial scene from the Merchant of Venice. And the building used to be connected with a women's prison (http://untappedcities.com/2012/05/17/partners-in-preservation-jefferson-market-library/)
However, now that area is the "Jefferson Market Garden", which had actually opened by the time these objects were buried. Here's a neat little map

This might be the sort of place to bury a casket.

quote:

Beside the long palm's shadow
Embedded in the sand
Waits the Fair remuneration
White house close at hand.

Sounds kind of court-y, or maybe Merchant of Venice, or possible instructions for where to look in the garden. Also, the men who designed the courthouse also went on to some design projects at the White House grounds. (http://greenwichvillagehistory.wordpress.com/2011/10/07/calvert-vaux-and-greenwich-village-architecture-3/)

Sadly I can't figure out how this would link up to most of the images, though you definitely would have been able to see the WTC from that location. It does have gargoyles, though they don't resemble the one in the art nearly as well as the Chrysler building.

e: I don't think this is a reference to the Booth statue in Gramercy Park I don't think there is a way anyone could bury anything there

Delthalaz fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 3, 2013

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

I completely agree. I want to challenge a few assumptions we've been working on for cask 12.

First, we have the bird that's only somewhat similar to the Chrysler Building gargoyles

Second, the outline of the dress sort of looks like Manhattan if you don't look too closely

Third, the similarity between the woman's face and the Statue of Liberty's face isn't nearly as strong as people are making it out to be. Liberty has a broad, flat nose while the woman's is thin. Liberty has a strong chin and the woman's is a lot softer. They both have their hair parted in the middle, but that's the only similarity I see

I see the 74 in the water, but I think it's a stretch to conclude that the other squiggles are the number 41. I think we should reconsider our certainty that this one is New York and see if it fits anywhere else.

The line "Edwin and Edwina named after him" in Verse 6 seems to be an obvious reference to Edwin Booth and his daughter, if that verse does end up tied to NYC, that gives you the Booth Theater on Broadway, which would tie in nicely with

Men of tales and tunes
Cruel and bold
Seen here
By eyes of old

since Edwin was a Shakespearean actor, and the statue of him in Gramercy Park.

Something else no one seems to have noticed is the odd shadow under her nose. It's far too long to be natural.

It looks to be the shape of a fish, or perhaps a dolphin (looks like two flukes at the edge of her cheek, a dorsal fin at the edge of her mouth).

The shadows covering her eyes seem odd as well. She seems to be lit from the left (her right) based on the shading, but the nose and eye shadows make it seem from directly above her. It's just all wrong. There has to be a clue in all that somewhere.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

GWBBQ posted:

Don't know if this is worth anything or has any deeper meaning to the treasure hunt, but that bird is a bit of a chimera. It has the body, legs, and wings of a gull (or gull-like marine bird) but a very eagle-ish, stylized head. Seems intentional... I cannot imagine a professional artist charged with such detailed illustrations screwing up an eagle's body and wings that badly.

party hat
Apr 22, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Otherwise your thoughts on Edwin and Edwina Harleston are worth considering, only so many "Edwinas" out there.

I took the line Edwin and Edwina named after him to mean that they were both named after someone, not necessarily just Edwina after Edwin. Edwin Booth, an actor, was named after Edwin Forrest, another actor, who was somewhat responsible for the Astor Place riot, but this points to New York so I'm not sure how relevant.

Edwina Booth became an actress. In May 1931, a movie she was in called Trader Horn was released, and was filmed in Africa. She and many other crew members caught malaria while there. Her character was "The White Goddess".

I don't know where to go from there, though. I just figured I'd throw in what I found out.

Edit: beaten

edit 2: I can't read years properly, apparently.

party hat fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 3, 2013

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
I still feel that there's gotta be some connection with the window panes behind the woman.

The two solid color panes look like NYU colors. The other ones look like Ishihara plates, but you can't see any numbers or anything in them, which may mean something to do with assuming color-blindness? Like look as if you were color blind?

edit: also I have to think that the Charleston verse must be the one that mentions the Citadel... I mean c'mon

edit2:

Lane Two twenty two
You'll see an arc of lights
Weight and roots extended
Together saved the site
Of granite walls
Wind swept halls
Citadel in the night
A wingless bird ascended
Born of ancient dreams of flight
Beneath the only standing member
Of a forest
To the south
White stone closest
At twelve paces
From the west side
Get permission
To dig out.

the other reason that makes me think this is Charleston is the abundance of uninhabited islands that require permission to enter around Charleston

Emacs Headroom fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 3, 2013

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.
Montreal

So here is what I think. Assuming the image points to Montreal and the matching verse is 2.

So basically I safely assume that number 2 is the main reference to montreal because that statue exist being exactly alike at the old Mount Stephen Club. Here is the location of the club on google map.

Now going from this #3 on the picture looks like a cannon to me(from the back). There are a bunch of cannons in Place du Canada. So is there anything that could potentially match the design for #1. The only building I remember that kind of looks like that is the Sun Life Building even though that is a stretch.

Now lets look at verse #2 line per line :

quote:

At the place where jewels abound
Fifteen rows down to the ground
In the middle of twenty-one
From end to end
For these I do not see anything . What does the place where jewels abound mean? EDIT Supposedly, during world war 2 the British crown jewels were moved in the Sun Life Building.

quote:

Only three stand watch
Now this is getting interesting, remember the cannons? There is exactly three of them in Place du Canada.

quote:

As the sound of friends
Could very well simply refer that this is a very popular and frequented spot in Montreal.

quote:

Quebeckers

quote:

Their heads for a night!
Oh boy another interesting one. Right beside Place du Canada there is a well known hotel called Chateau Champlain (Champlain Castle).

quote:

Gnomes admire
Fays delight
The namesakes meeting
Near this site.
Gnomes and fays thing I have no idea. Place du Canada in Canada fits very well the namesake meeting.

Something left to explore, the flower on the man's robe kind of looks like a red poppy (if you are really generous in your flower interpretation). There is a cenotaph in Place du Canada and it fits the war theme with the cannons. If I were to look around I would probably start there and try to find a connection with the first 4 lines and the checkered pattern on the image itself.

Imazul fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 3, 2013

Pilot to Gunner
Aug 21, 2009

That's what you get, you get fork stabbed.

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Don't know if this is worth anything or has any deeper meaning to the treasure hunt, but that bird is a bit of a chimera. It has the body, legs, and wings of a gull (or gull-like marine bird) but a very eagle-ish, stylized head. Seems intentional... I cannot imagine a professional artist charged with such detailed illustrations screwing up an eagle's body and wings that badly.
Ha, the first thing I said when I saw the illustration for cask 12 was- "what's up with the eagle head on that seagull?"

No way that is accidental.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
A couple random thoughts for New York.

Wasn't 1981 near the end of urban decay just before the really big cleanup began? A lot of parks in NYC may have had serious crime and drug problems, how likely is it that the author would be out there burying stuff and expecting anyone would want to show up and find it?

Also, thinking of "the grey giant" reminded me that The New York Times is/was referred to as "The Grey Lady", and their office was at 229 w 43rd st until 2007. That seems like too big of a leap though.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
Assuming the NYC verse was wrong and it's actually verse 2, we might get:

At the place where jewels abound --- The diamond district; w 47th st between 5th and 6th?
Fifteen rows down to the ground --- A building with 15 floors? or maybe just 15 w 47th, which is a jewel exchange?
In the middle of twenty-one --- 21 w 47th st is adjascent to 15, and has a loan office and some jewel stores
From end to end
Only three stand watch
As the sound of friends
Their heads for a night!
Gnomes admire
Fays delight
The namesakes meeting
Near this site.

No idea about most of the other lines, except obviously the connection with jewels and the fact that gnomes love jewels!

edit: if anyone wants to play around -- 21 is the roof with the big 21 on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butthead
May 31, 2011

Abugadu posted:

Re: Milwaukee, here's a listing of all public outdoor art.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_public_art_in_Milwaukee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Outdoor_sculptures_in_Milwaukee,_Wisconsin

Some of them have handy videos of the piece and surrounding area.

Random thoughts:

Of the two located, it seems like only the first few lines deal with identifying the park where the cask is, the rest is intra-park detail. The clue's portrait is really, really sparse with extra poo poo, so I'm thinking that pattern around the figure's neck is critical.

Chicago's did have an imitation of a sculpture, and that juggler's hand + direction facing is extremely similar to Juneau's.

However, no idea how any of this ties into Germany.

This could very well be the woman in the picture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigrant_Mother_(sculpture)

It is located in Cathedral Square Park, three blocks east of City Hall. The shape of the park, while not a direct match, seems to be the closest resemblance to the pattern around the woman's neck out of anything else I can see on Google Earth.