Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Booky posted:

Think of it as a blast from the past! :v:

(But yeah, long unskippable cutscenes suck. I've had to go through the dream parts of SMT1 like 3 times and it basically takes the controller out of your hands for like 5 minutes while you input names and stuff. :shepface:)

How does SMT1 hold up anyway? As well as 2?

So far I rank the series as: SMT3>SMT2>Soul Hackers. All great games by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

punk rebel ecks posted:

So far I rank the series as: SMT3>SMT2>Soul Hackers. All great games by the way.

I've only played up to the part where you first meet STEVEN but it's alright. Weird mapping though. Why does a mall have like 3 dead ends? :confused:

Speaking of Soul Hackers, I should really get a 3DS...

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

EDIT - Finally beat him but gently caress how annoying. Same wit this magnetite poo poo WTF! I keep running out! I wish it was more like SMT2 where it was only punished if abused.

In terms of the magnetite, if you're not already doing it already, you really don't want to have a full party of demons summoned at any time except for boss fights. You can generally get away with the MC, Nemissa, and 1-2 other demons- that way you're not bleeding Mag everywhere you go. You can also use the Zoma if you've been fusing good demons into it as a pretty decent fighter, as it costs no Mag to have summoned. It gets better the further you go in the game- near the end I typically only had 1 demon out at any point in time unless I was trying to increase loyalty on a few.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

When I played SMT1 I ended up lost in the second mall for 2 hours because some of the quests had bizarre requirements and the mall wasn't that well designed. At least the game was fun enough, though having absolutely terrible Japanese skills made the game a lot more difficult for me than it should have been, because the translation patch made it so you couldn't buy guns without jumping through a lot of hoops.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Don Gato posted:

When I played SMT1 I ended up lost in the second mall for 2 hours because some of the quests had bizarre requirements and the mall wasn't that well designed. At least the game was fun enough, though having absolutely terrible Japanese skills made the game a lot more difficult for me than it should have been, because the translation patch made it so you couldn't buy guns without jumping through a lot of hoops.

A bugfixed version of the patch is now available, and that's one of the things that got fixed (along with the Law route being unwinnable).

I'd say SMT1 holds up about as well as SMT2 did; if you can tolerate one, you can tolerate the other. SMT1 does give you a bit less direction on where to go at times, though, so you might sometimes have to just explore a bit until you stumble across the right event (or use a walkthrough).

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
SMT1 felt a bit too cryptic for me as far as where to go next, but SMT2 has been fine so far. I'm not THAT far though. Most of my time has been directed at Soul Hackers recently. I just finished the Haunted Mansion event- how far into the game am I?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Around halfway or so. I think that was around where you'd switch disks on the saturn/ps1.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
Apparently SMTIV's opening week sales in Japan were the best in the extended SMT series with the exception of P4 and the original Persona. So people who were afraid Persona's success would marginalize the mainline series can breathe a little easier now. I guess the IV made all the difference :toot:

Now we just have to worry about whether the western sales will be good enough to get the inevitable follow-ups localized :ohdear:

I might have agreed before P2:EP. And I could see their $50 experiment blowing up in their faces. Not that I'm particularly worried, but there's always a chance.

Joshlemagne fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 30, 2013

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Joshlemagne posted:

Now we just have to worry about whether the western sales will be good enough to get the inevitable follow-ups localized :ohdear:

Its Atlus.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I know this is common sense (2 years now since I stopped going to that site altogether), but please stay the gently caress away from :tvtropes:. According to a friend who still frequents the site and is an active forum poster over there, they decided to start the spoiler-fest for SMTIV, despite the majority of the TV Tropes crowd being Americans who still haven't received the game...

... or so he says. He was pretty mad when he found out so maybe he's being a big baby.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Europe says hi.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Iceclaw posted:

Europe says hi.

I understand your pain (Tales :argh:), but I laughed way to hard at this.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Iceclaw posted:

Europe says hi.

If you are in actual Europe (as opposed to Console Europe, which is Australia) you should also know that Ghostlight is also there. I think we both know what needs to be done.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why the gently caress do they not give you the option to skip cutscenes in Soul Hackers? I'm right before the boss fight in Algon Microelectronics Factory and god drat does it suck have to wait through five minutes of cutscenes before I can actually fight. The video is the worst part since you can't skip it at all!

EDIT - Finally beat him but gently caress how annoying. Same wit this magnetite poo poo WTF! I keep running out! I wish it was more like SMT2 where it was only punished if abused.

How did you beat that guy? All the resistant to magic demons I found in that area kinda sucked so it seemed like I'd just have toi grind up a ton of magic mirrors.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Okay what the gently caress. So now I have entered Algon's Main Building through Paradigm X and am now working with Finnegan. I went through the blue door and am going to activate the switches. However the demons in this area are hard as loving poo poo. They often kill me with one hit, usually with that Mahama or Mazan poo poo. How do I stand a chance against that? I can't just keep grinding as I'm currently at level 48.

The Moon Monster posted:

How did you beat that guy? All the resistant to magic demons I found in that area kinda sucked so it seemed like I'd just have toi grind up a ton of magic mirrors.

He's actually very easy once you figure out what to do.

First off find demons that have good attack power. This guy sucks, or at least will suck against physical attacks. However the key ingredient is getting a certain demon to make your demons as well as you and Nemissa resistant to his confusion attack. Fuse until you get a demon named Pachacamac. For reference of how far up the totem you have to go its a level 41 demon. This demon will have an Extra attack called "Psycho Barrier". What this move does is that it nullifies one mind attack. That's once the enemy performs its mind attack its used up. The strategy here is to have Pachamacamac (or any demon with the move really) to always use Psycho Barrier. As in never stop using it ever for the entire battle, not even once. While you are spamming the ever gently caress out of this attack have your demons weaken his attacks and strengthen your attacks and defense first. So use Rakumuja, Takamuja, and whatever the gently caress. Then you attack him until he dies. And of course use Nemissa to heal, heal, heal, and have your main character just guard but occasionally give Nemissa MP ups which will need to be done once MAYBE twice (but not likely). Under this strategy duder is a cake walk.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 31, 2013

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Thuryl posted:

A bugfixed version of the patch is now available, and that's one of the things that got fixed (along with the Law route being unwinnable).

I'd say SMT1 holds up about as well as SMT2 did; if you can tolerate one, you can tolerate the other. SMT1 does give you a bit less direction on where to go at times, though, so you might sometimes have to just explore a bit until you stumble across the right event (or use a walkthrough).

The only complaints I have about SMT2 (so far) is the fact that your alignment is difficult to change back and kinda rigid (Soul Hackers looks like it did alignment with demons more flexibly though, so that's another reason for me to get it sometime) and that the mapping is a bit sparse. Also, once you get Charm Bullets the game becomes much easier. :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mailer posted:

If you are in actual Europe (as opposed to Console Europe, which is Australia) you should also know that Ghostlight is also there. I think we both know what needs to be done.

Disband Ghostlight and lavish praise unto NIS America?

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Okay what the gently caress. So now I have entered Algon's Main Building through Paradigm X and am now working with Finnegan. I went through the blue door and am going to activate the switches. However the demons in this area are hard as loving poo poo. They often kill me with one hit, usually with that Mahama or Mazan poo poo. How do I stand a chance against that? I can't just keep grinding as I'm currently at level 48.

You should be fine at 48, though I don't remember what level I was when I went through there. If you're getting killed by Mahama, make sure that the main character doesn't have anything on that's making him weak to Expel. Humans naturally null it, so as long as there's not something specifically making you weak to it, you should be fine. If you're getting torn apart by Zan, you should be able to go back to the armor store and buy a Ming Guang Jia body armor. It nulls force, but makes you weak to electricity.

Just as a general rule of thumb for the main character, I found distributing points as Agi > Str > Vit most helpful. High Agi will add to your evade and guarantee that you'll get to go before most enemies. With high Agi and evade, my main character wasn't getting hit very much. Similarly, making sure Nemissa has a good amount of agility to go along with her magic makes things much easier when you can launch an AoE before any enemy gets to go and wipe out a number of them.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

kirbysuperstar posted:

Disband Ghostlight then blackmailing the upper management of Atlus into opening a European office?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TurnipFritter posted:

Yes, it's him. Much like the Archangels, I was getting sick of Kaneko's old Lucifer/Helel designs and was hoping to see new ones in SMT4, but not like this. Not like this. Truly I have wished upon a monkey's paw.

Got a link or a picture handy? I'm really curious to see the changes.

Dweller
Sep 6, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

NIS aren't really looking hugely different at the moment. Soul Hackers isn't planned until September 13th and we're still waiting on a date for Etrian Odyssey IV. Also no date for SMTIV but I don't think that's them.

I guess it's a step up from the Devil Survivor and Persona 4 Arena situations but Atlus releases still have a long way to go over here.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Dweller posted:

NIS aren't really looking hugely different at the moment.

They got P4G out pretty quick (two/three months), EO4 is coming soon and they are in general actually doing something, other than Ghostlight's "wait two years and whoops it's bugged out the rear end" way of things.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Not to mention never getting Strange Journey.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Well, that didn't really need localisation. Hooray for region free DS's! :toot:

Mind you, I'm still going to be angry about waiting for stuff to reach Australia. And I wanted P4G for so long, but then Awakening came out, so that got pushed back. Not sure if I'm even going to bother picking it up in all honesty.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Mysticblade posted:

Well, that didn't really need localisation. Hooray for region free DS's! :toot:

Mind you, I'm still going to be angry about waiting for stuff to reach Australia. And I wanted P4G for so long, but then Awakening came out, so that got pushed back. Not sure if I'm even going to bother picking it up in all honesty.

Luckily the Vita is region free too. I picked one up second hand and imported P4G and Virtue's Last Reward, too.

If only the 3DS was region free, sigh. :(

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have a US 3DS and import. Most of the shops here sell both NA/EU games anyway (with a markup) so it's not a huge hassle. On the PS3 and Vita it doesn't matter which you get because of the region-free stuff, on the 3DS sometimes you go through the case where they have the game but not in your region.

The 3DS has also gotten really good this year after a full 12+ months of not touching it once. Fire Emblem, Etrian Odyssey 4, Soul Hackers, and soon SMT4. I'm really, really enjoying EO4 so far and I was wondering how Soul Hackers compares. I know it's not SMT but it's a hardcore RPG by Atlus so close enough :v:

Also eventually Devil Summoner 2 is gonna get a 3DS port, never got around to playing that one but LOVED DS1. I think it came out when I was still looking for jobs and I got every ending

I dunno, it looks like if you want Atlus games you want a 3DS. They tricked everyone with releasing Persona 4 on Vita then announcing everything else as a 3DS game :/ Luckily there's a lot of stuff I wanted on the Vita, but I would have liked more SMT on it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also eventually Devil Summoner 2 is gonna get a 3DS port, never got around to playing that one but LOVED DS1. I think it came out when I was still looking for jobs and I got every ending

Survivor, not Summoner.

Man would I love a Devil Summoner 2 port, though.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

The 3DS has also gotten really good this year after a full 12+ months of not touching it once. Fire Emblem, Etrian Odyssey 4, Soul Hackers, and soon SMT4. I'm really, really enjoying EO4 so far and I was wondering how Soul Hackers compares. I know it's not SMT but it's a hardcore RPG by Atlus so close enough :v:

Soul Hackers plays a lot like the first two SMT games, if you've ever played or seen those: it's basically a dungeon-crawly first person RPG with demon negotiation, recruitment and fusion. It's worth keeping in mind that it's a remake of a game from 1997, and while there are a few added features it hasn't been completely redone or anything. It has a few bugs and it's pretty rough around the edges, but it's not bad if it's the kind of thing you're looking for. It does have some quality-of-life features like a difficulty setting that can be adjusted on the fly and the ability to save your game almost anywhere (unlocks a few hours into the game) which make it a bit more approachable.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

kirbysuperstar posted:

Survivor, not Summoner.

Man would I love a Devil Summoner 2 port, though.

But it was already ported to 3DS :spergin:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

El Belmondo posted:

But it was already ported to 3DS :spergin:

Oh, hardee har har.

Basically I just want more badass caped 1920's detective and his cat friend summoning demons.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oops yeah I meant Devil Survivor, I just remember the abbreviation was DS.

Thuryl posted:

Soul Hackers plays a lot like the first two SMT games, if you've ever played or seen those: it's basically a dungeon-crawly first person RPG with demon negotiation, recruitment and fusion. It's worth keeping in mind that it's a remake of a game from 1997, and while there are a few added features it hasn't been completely redone or anything. It has a few bugs and it's pretty rough around the edges, but it's not bad if it's the kind of thing you're looking for. It does have some quality-of-life features like a difficulty setting that can be adjusted on the fly and the ability to save your game almost anywhere (unlocks a few hours into the game) which make it a bit more approachable.

Yeah everything I hear about it just sounds like it's a bit aged. I've seen playthroughs of parts of the first SMT games, they don't look all that fun to actually play.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'd love a go at the Raidou games on the Vita, but given Atlus' general propensity towards :effort:ing ports, they probably wouldn't re-render the backgrounds at higher resolutions (which would look like rear end). So it'll probably be another MT notch for the 3DS. :saddowns:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oops yeah I meant Devil Survivor, I just remember the abbreviation was DS.

Yeah everything I hear about it just sounds like it's a bit aged. I've seen playthroughs of parts of the first SMT games, they don't look all that fun to actually play.

Soul Hackers is probably the most fun to play for someone unsure about early SMT games but it still has its foibles.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
I've been getting heavily interested in actual Eastern philosophy and religion lately, and have been reading the Upanishads, which is one of the key Hindu holy books, as well as listening to lectures on the fundamental philosophies, world views and notions of time and space that dominate Hindu--and by some great extension, Buddhist--belief and culture.

Its been making me think back on Digital Devil Saga. It's truly remarkable to think about, but DDS is pretty damned thorough in its source material. The story, the primary themes, some of the dialog and writing--the whole thing is so heavily steeped in Hindu mysticism, moreso than any of the fairly paper-thin Christian metaphysics present in the main SMT games. DDS not only respects its source material, but goes so far as to explore and develop core concepts of the belief, reenacting mythological events and even quoting the scriptures themselves.

You know when you get a game over in...I think DDS2? You see a black sun and this phrase appears:

From Illusion to Truth
From Darkness to Light
From Doom to Eternity

That's actually pretty much a straight quote from the Upanishads. More than that though, the whole concept of the world being "data" is also a core concept in the belief, as Hinduism--while appearing outwardly pantheistic--is basically monotheistic, as all living things in the world, gods and humans and animals and all that--are all manifestations of Brahman, the Source of life, basically the living embodiment of everything...which in that game I think was represented as a golden train with a lot of faces, I don't know either

But it's pretty cool to see how the real world beliefs were so carefully minded in the crafting of the game. Considering how cartoonish Christian imagery is presented in these games, with the Jewish God literally being the main villain of the series, it is surprising to see just how carefully they treated the Hindu source material for DDS.

It's really much more clever than I thought it was.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

RentCavalier posted:

It's really much more clever than I thought it was.

Does adapting bits of a religious mythos really make something clever?

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

The_Frag_Man posted:

Does adapting bits of a religious mythos really make something clever?

I think you are missing the point. The fact that they do it well is the clever bit.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
I want to get the original Persona, but I don't have a PSP. Is the Playstation Network release a port of the mangled, originally localized version?

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I want to get the original Persona, but I don't have a PSP. Is the Playstation Network release a port of the mangled, originally localized version?

Only the PSP games and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment PSX are on PSN.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Haha, speaking of Persona 1 PSP, I just was playing it tonight, trying to beat the final dungeon before going to sleep. I'm playing easy mode because ugggggh, that battle system. Anyhow, I'm doing pretty well in the dungeon, moving along... and then the final boss has this horrible second form that near wipes my party every couple of turns and I'm doing crummy damage to it. I'd probably have to reload, grind a bunch and fuse a ton of specific personas.

gently caress. That.

Youtubed the ending, moving on to P2 Innocent Sin, thank you very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

JazzFlight posted:

Haha, speaking of Persona 1 PSP, I just was playing it tonight, trying to beat the final dungeon before going to sleep. I'm playing easy mode because ugggggh, that battle system. Anyhow, I'm doing pretty well in the dungeon, moving along... and then the final boss has this horrible second form that near wipes my party every couple of turns and I'm doing crummy damage to it. I'd probably have to reload, grind a bunch and fuse a ton of specific personas.

gently caress. That.

Youtubed the ending, moving on to P2 Innocent Sin, thank you very much.

Just fuse the protagonist's ultimate persona. It has a skill that is literally only effective against the final boss, I believe, and does a poo poo ton of damage, making the fight easy.