Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
I thought there was a book theory that Jeyne actually did give birth to an heir? This puts that to rest then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

There was a theory that Jeyne was switched out with an imposter because there's a subtle, completely unimportant variation in her description from two different points of view. The entire theory rests on Jaime Lannister not evaluating the hips of every teenager he meets on a birthing capability basis.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

And GRRM had already said "yeah, I just forgot what she looked like, sorry"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Not to mention that GRRM specifically said that the variation resulted from him messing up and forgetting how he previously described Jeyne. That theory is long dead.

edit: yeah whatever.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

mind the walrus posted:

That was the only point where the people I was with reacted viscerally.

It's because the guy just comes up and really loving goes at it! He just repeatedly jabs his knife in her stomach so forcefully and so fast that it was almost comical to watch. Like a kid violently jabbing a spoon into his ice cream.

edit: Still revolting, but comical at the same time in way.

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 3, 2013

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I thought all the blood fountains at the end with Cat and Frey's wife were a tad over the top, And obviously CG.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

elmer fud posted:

Anyone have some of the best baby thread reactions to spoiler avatars?

Edit: and what some of the other spoilers are/were

:allears:

edit: I looked through the thread and that was the only spoiler avatar. The rest were red titles (with a couple hilarious fakes thrown in).

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 3, 2013

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

The Riddle of Feel posted:

There was a theory that Jeyne was switched out with an imposter because there's a subtle, completely unimportant variation in her description from two different points of view. The entire theory rests on Jaime Lannister not evaluating the hips of every teenager he meets on a birthing capability basis.
This was what surprised me the most about the TV Red Wedding. Judging by what happened, I guess Jeyne and her child aren't important to the overall story anymore? Seems like it would kind of lame if next season they just went "lol it was imposter".

I wonder what they're going to end the season on. It's got to be something decently big, see: dragons and white walkers.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

It'll either be the Astapori slaves chanting "Mhysa", UnCat, or Coldhands.

I'm still holding out hope for Coldhands, since he'll probably be played by the same stunt guy that does the Others and filled in for Gregor last season.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Oh my god these are the most delicious tears.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Contra Calculus posted:

It's because the guy just comes up and really loving goes at it! He just repeatedly jabs his knife in her stomach so forcefully and so fast that it was almost comical to watch. Like a kid violently jabbing a spoon into his ice cream.

edit: Still revolting, but comical at the same time in way.

It reminded me of the prison shiv scene in Breaking Bad. I'd always had a hard time wrapping my head around how a sharpened toothbrush could used as a vicious murder weapon, but when you see a guy get stabbed thirty times in five seconds, it's pretty loving brutal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2uLNioVW-M

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Man, you all thought Game of Thrones just had the climax of the century? Wait until you see what happened tonight on the hit show "King of Thrones"

Quality journalism.

Yeah, that kinda shows what I mean pretty well. :stare:

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 3, 2013

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Reading the reactions and the "gently caress you book readers" posts makes me realize how lovely most of SA has become over the years.

People would have lost their drat minds if tribute.wmv was made in present times

Duro posted:

I'm not nerdy enough to read the stupid books, but I did have someone tell me that there would be a similar scene a long time ago. I just assumed it would be a different wedding (you can guess which one)

That being said, I'm disappointed that Robb died like a loving pussy. His mother was smarter (she saw the betrayal coming) and had more balls than him (she went for instant revenge, as meaningless as it may have been). Robb just looked shellshocked after his wife got stabbed, and he didn't even try to do anything. He just looked at his mom like a doofus. For gently caress's sake dude, YOU'RE THE FUCKIN KING, you're the son of your badass father. What the gently caress was that? Grab a knife and throw it to the dude's head, pull an arrow from your chest and shove it down the throat of the guy that ended up killing you without any resistance whatsoever. That's not how a real man dies, that's how a pussy dies.

DangerZoneDelux fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 3, 2013

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

TVIV is really poo poo, it's not SA in general TVIV is just really really poo poo.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

quote:

obb just looked shellshocked after his wife got stabbed, and he didn't even try to do anything.

What is this emotion you call 'love', earth man?

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Good god you guys aren't kidding. I thought the thread started out fine with people just reacting with an occasional slap-fight, but these posts are getting worse and worse. Christ, no wonder I haven't been to TVIV in two years.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Avoiding a good portion of GBS and TVIV is all you really need to do to make sure your SA experience isn't too lovely. Or so that's what I found.

"HURRR READING DUMB"

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My favorite reactions were the posters that said their enjoyment was ruined because of the spoilers.

It is kinda depressing that some people hinge all their enjoyment on being surprised by something instead of looking at the overall quality!

I wonder if those sorts can ever rewatch their favorite tv show/movie/etc ever again. I mean, on a rewatch you'd know everything that happens! There's no possible way to enjoy that, right?

Srice fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 3, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Reading the reactions and the "gently caress you book readers" posts makes me realize how lovely most of SA has become over the years.

People would have lost their drat minds if tribute.wmv was made in present times

Duro almost had a point until he started throwing his misogynistic stupidity over Robb. The books sort of make Robb's reaction in the show more relevant -- he's a loving kid who just saw his wife get murdered.

The whole "book readers are poo poo" dialogue being thrown around more often now is really loving stupid. loving summer children idiots.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
So worth it. Wish I hadn't spoiled my girlfriend two years ago but I will harvest the tears at work. Thank you Game of Thrones feel free to suck from now on.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The babies sure do cry a lot:

Sober posted:

The book readers should be locked in a room and then we should play the Rains of Castamere, if you know what I mean.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I never thought in a million loving years anyone who was not an 80s high school sitcom bully would use "book-reader" as a pejorative, but TVIV just proved me the gently caress wrong! Goddamn, what a lovely subforum.

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009
Book-reader is the new Kingslayer.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"I wish those filthy book readers would stop looking down down on us show watchers." - A show watcher looking down on book reader.

You're retarded if you love something so much that your happiness can depend on whether or not you can watch it without it being spoiled, yet you actively participate in a discussion forum that invites spoilers (rightly or wrongly), and refuse to actively inform yourself about the series by reading the source material.
I respect that some people don't like to read, but loving hell, don't pretend that your decision not to read means that people who have read a decade old series of books aren't allowed to acknowledge their existence in your presence.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Urdnot Fire posted:

Dead Man Posting the Book-Reader

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Urdnot Fire posted:

Well this is stupid for a number of reasons:

1) From reading the books, we know that the Rains of Castamere is a musical cue that means disaster is imminent. We would not be stupid enough to hang around in a room with that song playing.

2) From reading the books, we know that all the key players in the series who survive are the ones who wouldn't be stupid enough to be locked into a room with their enemies. So we would not be stupid enough to get locked in a room with our enemies.

3) We have loving Vargo Hoat and Strong Belwas. :black101:

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 3, 2013

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Contra Calculus posted:

I never thought in a million loving years anyone who was not an 80s high school sitcom bully would use "book-reader" as a pejorative, but TVIV just proved me the gently caress wrong! Goddamn, what a lovely subforum.

Just read the SPOILERS thread and gently caress show watchers apologists. They seem to think we don't already know George Martin is a perverted, sex offender surrounded yes men man children. Oh and something about the HBO show.

Undead Unicorn fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 3, 2013

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
The saddest part for me was seeing Arya so close, and see the realization of what was happening set in and calling back to when she saw her dad die...

I also clandestinely recorded my friends reactions, which is pretty much just "gently caress".

Also a friend came to stay for a couple weeks, who had stopped watching around when Gregor beheaded his horse, so that was like the perfect episode to watch going in blind.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I shall henceforth name this day Robbday, for his valiant service to the noble House Stark cause.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

You filthy bookers can't post dumb gifs in this thread!!!!$#! *posts holky gently caress gif a thousand times*

TVIV is a big bunch of disgrace, but the rest of the internet made up for it tonight (and hopefully tomorrow).

Also, incoming effortpost from a ~writer~:

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I never heard of books until I watch the TV show first.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I just woke up, was it great?

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Shoehead posted:

I just woke up, was it great?

The show or the show-only fan rage? Because the answer to both is than my wildest dreams.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Duro posted:

Well you know what, I disagree with George Railroad Martin on this one. Yeah, it was the "unexpected" twist, the curveball, etc... However, some cliches are cliches because they work, and I would have enjoyed seeing a more competent and bloodthirsty Robb try to avenge his father's death on the battlefield, or at least make a solid go at it. We saw that he might have been a decent tactician, and the show is building towards many different factions that may eventually all go to war against each other. Why shouldn't Robb have gotten a go at it and attempted to avenge Ned, who was sold to us as one of the main characters of the show in season 1. Father-Son stories like that are awesome, and I'm not saying he should have necessarily succeeded, but I just felt like we wasted a ton of air time for nothing.

"No YOU listen, GRRM. If you wanted your book series to win every award and sit on the NYT Bestseller list for, like, ever, and maybe even get it adapted into a massive budget series with millions in merch and licensing cash, and tons of TV awards then let ME tell YOU what you should do with your book:

Step One: write the same fantasy story everyone has written a million times which makes the genre so disgustingly predictable that it never gets adapted or taken seriously because it's so dreadfully dull."

-Peabody Award winning author Duro

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Yes, lets get rid of the only reason why asoiaf rises above the poo poo-heap that is the fantasy genre and make it a standard hero story.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
When people die they generally leave thing unsaid or unfinished. But nooo I need my story about rape and murder and greed to have a HAPPY ending!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
A good post:

Neuntausend posted:

Oh lord, this was glorious. And the neckbeards are outraged: "BOYCOTT GAME OF THRONES!" they scream. Probably the same people who always talk about how they like it dark and daring. And along comes a show that dares to be dark and with it the complaints, when Mr. Neckbeards favourite character dies.

:nolan: I LOVE GRIM DARK MAKE ALL THINGS GRIM DARK :nolan:

:unsmigghh:

MY ROBB CHAN! NOOOO! I like fluffy stories!

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

"I quit watching shows when something doesn't match what I want to happen" - A sperg

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Undead Unicorn posted:

Just read the SPOILERS thread and gently caress show watchers apologists. They seem to think we don't already know George Martin is a perverted, sex offender surrounded yes men man children. Oh and something about the HBO show.

The specific post you're talking about was hilarious; how dysfunctional does your brain have to be to go on a mile-long diatribe about how fantasy novels are for manchildren and perverts and fascists (his word, not mine) because somebody had the audacity to be rude about your favorite salacious fantasy TV show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
What was up with Roose not knowing about Ned's wedding? Wouldn't he have been there?

Edit: Hooooly poo poo that was fuckin' brutal!

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 3, 2013