Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

Unless you can find a filter that removes all atmosphere between you and the mountain, there's nothing to be done about it.

What you're seeing is the effect of vapor and dust hanging around in the air messing with the light that reaches your camera.

That and I personally don't see a problem with it, I think it adds depth to the photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Not quite to the caliber (nowhere near it) of most of the lovely landscapes here .. however, I found it to be appealing. I like the color gradients and the textures of the old rotted wood.

IMG_0896.jpg by jarredsutherland, on Flickr

Why did you include the trees in the background?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

David Pratt posted:

Why did you include the trees in the background?

Honestly, I am still not sure. I guess at first I liked the colors, but they don't have anything to do with what I found interesting with the subject.

Edit : Here is a crop to fill the frame .. I should have kept the original like this.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 3, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now it's kind of cool because it's hard to tell if it's a close-up of a tree trunk or a long distance shot of a cliff.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

Now it's kind of cool because it's hard to tell if it's a close-up of a tree trunk or a long distance shot of a cliff.

I agree. I love the critique too, it helps me to remember what I am doing when out there shooting. Probably one of the few I have taken so far that I actually like. Reading through Understanding Exposure is really helping as well. Gets better and better each time I go out.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Honestly, I am still not sure. I guess at first I liked the colors, but they don't have anything to do with what I found interesting with the subject.

Edit : Here is a crop to fill the frame .. I should have kept the original like this.

I like this tree but drat that is some loving boring as poo poo light on it. The tree is all gnarled and craggly and practically begging for some nice, hard, gridded oblique light to turn it into a badass texture shot but nope! It's covered in the softest, gentlest cloudy day light you've ever seen.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Dren posted:

I like this tree but drat that is some loving boring as poo poo light on it. The tree is all gnarled and craggly and practically begging for some nice, hard, gridded oblique light to turn it into a badass texture shot but nope! It's covered in the softest, gentlest cloudy day light you've ever seen.

The spot that it is in is extremely shaded, so either sun at early morning (I think sunrise hits it) or flash. What do you feel would give it the best look?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

mAlfunkti0n posted:

The spot that it is in is extremely shaded, so either sun at early morning (I think sunrise hits it) or flash. What do you feel would give it the best look?

I'd play with off camera flash. I'm thinking hard, oblique light. I'd start by throwing on a grid and lighting from the top, going with the grain. Then I'd move the light around from there, watching the shadows to see if anything more interesting appeared. Being in the shade is actually an advantage if you decide to work with flashes.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Dren posted:

I'd play with off camera flash. I'm thinking hard, oblique light. I'd start by throwing on a grid and lighting from the top, going with the grain. Then I'd move the light around from there, watching the shadows to see if anything more interesting appeared. Being in the shade is actually an advantage if you decide to work with flashes.

BTW, I hate you guys .. you just made me buy off camera lighting (already had the flash ..)

Actually I don't hate any of you .. you guys are awesome. :)

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 3, 2013

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I can't decide which is better...

edit: vvv Hmm, you could be right. I've just been very deprived of greenery lately.

vote_no fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 4, 2013

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
I don't want to be a gloomy gus but I'd go with "neither". They're good images but they're nothing special compared to your other work.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Summer by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Curve and Buckets by alkanphel, on Flickr

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Opals25 posted:

These are stunning. I love Zion, easily one of the most beautiful places I've ever been and you really capture it perfectly.

Thank you! Last three from Zion:

Dalax
Oct 27, 2007

This is from pages back and I don't think anyone mentioned it, but I like this a lot. It feels like at any moment I'm going to have to defend myself with a crowbar. Basically, you have captured Ravenholm.
I'll even let it off the lack of rocks.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

I love this one. It has so much feeling to it .. perhaps not all good feelings (more anger when trying to cut tall grass!) but there is just so much feeling in this shot.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Gambl0r posted:

Thank you! Last three from Zion:

This is the nicest one yet, but I could do without the brush in the bottom. The others are good too but the light could have been better in some of them. Looks like it was a great trip.

DSC_8432.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_8412.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Too much foreground. Crop it to bring more focus to the kid and put the breaking waves near the bottom third line:

You could even crop tighter and remove those couples.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Dren posted:

Too much foreground. Crop it to bring more focus to the kid and put the breaking waves near the bottom third line:

You could even crop tighter and remove those couples.

I don't think the tight crop works as well, you lose the sense of scale that the original had.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

I don't think the tight crop works as well, you lose the sense of scale that the original had.

That was my thought. It keeps it very balanced. For comparison, here's another cropped similar to his idea that I also liked.

DSC_8437.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Mr. Despair posted:

A 16:9 keeps the sense of scale, and also coincidentally divides the photo up into three nearly perfect bands of colour. A 2.35:1 (with the horizon on the top third line) goes nicely too but that's just too wide for some tastes ;)

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I really like that cropped version. It highlights the much more interesting scale of the ocean vs. the kid and creates a stronger sense of distance between him and the adults.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Spime Wrangler posted:

I really like that cropped version. It highlights the much more interesting scale of the ocean vs. the kid and creates a stronger sense of distance between him and the adults.
I feel the same way about this fottergraf.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

scottch posted:

That was my thought. It keeps it very balanced. For comparison, here's another cropped similar to his idea that I also liked.

DSC_8437.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

I like this one much better! The 2.35:1 crop with the horizon on the top third line that NMN suggested is my absolute favorite though. My objection to the original was mainly that the wave/beach line was almost directly in the middle of the picture.

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
1st try.

Sunset by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Anyone have any tips for shooting star fields at night? I'm going out tonight on a mountain to try to capture some decent space landscapes. I've read all about stacking and I guess that's what I'm going to try. How does 8 second exposures at 100mm f/4 sound? I'll probably stack around 50 shots.

Also, cross posting these from the pano thread because they're my first real attempt at landscapes. These were all panoramas shot at 1.8 for the kind of medium format depth of field effect.

IMG_0239_stitch by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

IMG_0231_stitch by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

IMG_0292_stitch by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

I guess this one counts? I really liked the tableaux look of the scene and the light behind the house.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 5, 2013

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
The appropriate shutter speed to not get star trails depends on you focal length. Read this http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/30263/what-is-the-rule-of-600-in-astrophotography

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Bottom Liner posted:

I guess this one counts? I really liked the tableaux look of the scene and the light behind the house.
This is pretty cool but I reeaaallly want it to be symmetrical.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, it bugs me too. I tried fixing the distortion but had no luck.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

edit: \/\/ Thanks! I really need to get a lens hood for this thing. I think I'm going to get a tokina 12-24mm f/4 instead.

copen fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 9, 2013

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK
^I like these and the soft, almost whimsical feeling they have, but the lens flaring feels really distracting to me.

IMG_8054 by Opals25, on Flickr

Took a walk through some local trails. Taking pictures their felt difficult. I thought I would find interesting things, but it was hard to delineate them from the rest of the background trees.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

This is really close to something special. You should have no trouble correcting the perspective if you're using Lightroom, just use vertical and horizontal to get it right. I just wish the distribution of people were move even, or something more eye-catching were happening. Should have hung around a bit.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

This is good, but I agree with scottch that it's almost really good. Use the free transform and warp tool in Photoshop. You'll probably lose some sharpness but sharpness is for weiners anyway. Also, I can see the stitching on the third pillar :ssh:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

copen posted:

edit: \/\/ Thanks! I really need to get a lens hood for this thing. I think I'm going to get a tokina 12-24mm f/4 instead.

Dont let anyone tell you lensflare is poo poo. It has a time and a place. I like these. The black and white is the strongest and the flare, adds to it imo.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Johannesburg really doesn't have much in the way of anything natural.

IMG_9019 by sildargod, on Flickr

landscapes and sunsets (1 of 3) by sildargod, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Musket posted:

Dont let anyone tell you lensflare is poo poo. It has a time and a place. I like these. The black and white is the strongest and the flare, adds to it imo.

Oh, word?

methinks this lens doth flare overmuch 1/2 by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

methinks this lens doth flare overmuch 2/2 by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr