Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fazana posted:

Do they still have the "Who did River kill to be sent to prison?" storyline to finish since it turned out it wasn't the actual Doctor she killed at the lakeside or did I blink and miss the resolution?

Everyone thinks that it was the actual Doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Bicyclops posted:

Everyone thinks that it was the actual Doctor.

Aha, okay. Although somewhat pedantically weren't the only witnesses to the "crime" all (eventually at least) in on the fact she didn't kill him. Maybe that's why the plotline was quietly dropped.

My favourite of the seemingly endless "Name a British actor who has done anything, ever" = possible next Doctor was Helen Mirren being named in one of the Sunday newspapers. Whilst I'm sure she'd do a cracking job they might as well link McKellan, Fiennes and McShane for other completely unobtainable actors for it and be done with it.

Not that an HBO funded McShane starring Doctor Who series wouldn't be a day one purchase...

Edit: VVV Exactly, you'd have to be a complete hooplehead not to like the thought of that!

Fazana fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 3, 2013

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
Correct answer is Matt regenerates and out pops an aged drunken Tom Baker.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
McShane? Do you mean:

That would be amazing.

We're gonna show those Dalek cocksuckers that we mean fuckin' business. Space Wu's pigs are gonna get a lot of iron in their diet this week.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Fazana posted:

Aha, okay. Although somewhat pedantically weren't the only witnesses to the "crime" all (eventually at least) in on the fact she didn't kill him. Maybe that's why the plotline was quietly dropped.

My assumption was that the whole reason they were there was to witness it and convincingly be sad that he was dead to trick the Silence- remember, there was at least one at the lake watching as it all went down.

My big problem with the assassination plot is that the Silence's plan relies entirely on the doctor willingly going to that time and place with no clear reason to do so. The most recent episode wasn't that great, but at least the villain made some attempt to lure the doctor to Trenzalore instead of just assuming he'd turn up.

They even sort of hung a lampshade on it in The Wedding Of River Song:

Kovarian: Why couldn't you just die?
doctor: did my best, dear, I showed up.

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH
I kind of like Ben Daniels for the next Doctor. I'm sure we're all wrong, and it'll be someone nobody's ever heard of. Like Matt Smith. I kind of wish people would simply stop making suggestions like Hugh Laurie or Tom Hiddelston. You think either one is going to stop what they're doing and go be The Doctor? Its useless fantasy casting.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Fazana posted:

Do they still have the "Who did River kill to be sent to prison?" storyline to finish since it turned out it wasn't the actual Doctor she killed at the lakeside or did I blink and miss the resolution?

She killed him in "Let's Kill Hitler" and was subsequently thrown in prison.

edit: This can be placed via her studies. She had killed the Doctor before the Angels two-parter (she didn't know she would become a doctor), then started her doctorate, then was sent to kill the Doctor at the lake when she completed it.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 3, 2013

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
She didn't know she'd become a professor

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

2house2fly posted:

She didn't know she'd become a professor

Phooey. I thought I was so clever...

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
They should just follow the 1st Doctor at a younger age, growing up, early adventures, etc. Basically a 'reboot' without doing a 'reboot' since he can still travel to all of time anyway.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

PowerBuilder3 posted:

They should just follow the 1st Doctor at a younger age, growing up, early adventures, etc. Basically a 'reboot' without doing a 'reboot' since he can still travel to all of time anyway.

Except he did not steal the Tardis until he was an old man.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

No, see it's like Young Indiana Jones where he got into all kinds of misadventures even though he was only like 12 years old.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

What would be best is if they went with that idea but like the K-9 spin-off, they could make no actual references to Doctor Who and everything had to be implied. And then the actor playing the Doctor quit after the first season and they realized they couldn't regenerate him.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

PowerBuilder3 posted:

"Young First Doctor on Gallifrey" was a spin-off idea the BBC had a few years ago, and RTD basically told them it was a really stupid idea (which it was) and that maybe some sort of Sarah Jane Adventures would be better instead.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What about the televised adventures of Abslom Daak, Dalek Killer?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

AlternateAccount posted:

McShane? Do you mean:

That would be amazing.

We're gonna show those Dalek cocksuckers that we mean fuckin' business. Space Wu's pigs are gonna get a lot of iron in their diet this week.

I think it'd be less of that and more of "Doctor, what about love? Joy?" :v:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ya them you meet Hearst-Daleks or Cy-Daleks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Totally in favour of a Lovejoy-esque Doctor.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Metal Loaf posted:

What about the televised adventures of Abslom Daak, Dalek Killer?

As long as he has his chainsaw sword, I'm down. Maybe played by Tom Jane?

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

bobkatt013 posted:

Except he did not steal the Tardis until he was an old man.

"Old man" in our sense, still pretty loving young in his own. He and Susan both occasionally refer to previous adventures they had before (temporarily) settling down on Totter's Lane and meeting Barbara and Ian. Susan even mentions how the TARDIS used to transform into all sorts of things before landing in the junkyard and getting stuck as a Police Box.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Throb Robinson posted:

drunken Tom Baker

Welcome to the most redundant thing ever said in history.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So CNN has jumped on the speculation bandwagon, and according to them, the list includes Helen Goddamned Mirren.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Reminded me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6VZrDmyAiQ

Apparently Donald Cox's voice actor (who gets shouted at by a laughing Bob during this) did some acting with and knows McShane, so this was a weird injoke that spiraled into insanity.

Barry Foster posted:

There's one last bit of good news before Matt Smith's lamentable passing, and I think I'll be safe enough to tell you guys in a couple of weeks.

I'm really going to miss him.

He has had a quality run. It's still blowing my mind that David Tennant is no longer the Doctor though. It feels like he never left to me.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 4, 2013

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Fargle posted:

Welcome to the most redundant thing ever said in history.

He would need to be playing him as Captain Redbeard Rum.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
How about Chris Tucker

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

scary ghost dog posted:

How about Chris Tucker

Chris Rock, sure. Chris Tucker's voice drives me to killy heights.

Actually, go the whole hog. CCH Pounder for 12!

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 4, 2013

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Shiny Llama posted:

It seems Richard Ayoade is the only choice.

As long as he can play quirky and not all-out weird, he'd be perfect.
Everybody is wanting well known actors to play the 12th. Am I the only one who likes the idea of the Doctor's actor usually being some obscure guy who is a totally fresh face?!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Lampsacus posted:

Am I the only one who likes the idea of the Doctor's actor usually being some obscure guy who is a totally fresh face?!

Which is probably who they'll go with, but speculating about people you yourself don't even know doesn't fill threads.

Actually though if anyone knows UK stage theater, now's your time to shine with the predictions.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
I just seriously hope its an older guy at this point. I liked tennant and smith plenty its to me the doctor is an older man. Personal opinion.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So CNN has jumped on the speculation bandwagon, and according to them, the list includes Helen Goddamned Mirren.

Nice to see that CNN's entertainment division is as horrible as it's political reporting.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lampsacus posted:

Everybody is wanting well known actors to play the 12th. Am I the only one who likes the idea of the Doctor's actor usually being some obscure guy who is a totally fresh face?!

No, but you might be the only one who knows who an obscure guy with a fresh face is.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhinoceraptor posted:

"Old man" in our sense, still pretty loving young in his own. He and Susan both occasionally refer to previous adventures they had before (temporarily) settling down on Totter's Lane and meeting Barbara and Ian. Susan even mentions how the TARDIS used to transform into all sorts of things before landing in the junkyard and getting stuck as a Police Box.

Susan is only 16, and his granddaughter so he would still look like an old man.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Helen Mirren thing is admittedly because she actually said that she'd be interested in the part, but given the 14 episode schedule and the probable payscale, she almost certainly isn't actually interested.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

What about Anthony Stewart Head?

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

KilGrey posted:

What about Anthony Stewart Head?

He can't - he was already Baltazar in the animated movie.

That being said, he'd make a fantastic Valeyard.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tornhelm posted:

That being said, he'd make a fantastic Valeyard.

Also Mr. Finch in School Reunion.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You are right they would never cast the Doctor as someone who has appeared before

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Well yes, but Baltazar was the Scourge of the Galaxy and that's a much cooler title than being a mere Krillitane.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Tornhelm posted:

Bicyclops posted:

You guys do remember that Karen Gillan played a role in Fires of Pompeii before being cast as Amy, right?

I don't think that previously appearing on Doctor Who rules people out as much as you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

You guys do remember that Karen Gillan played a role in Fires of Pompeii, right?

I don't think that previously appearing on Doctor Who rules people out as much as you think.

Also Lalla Ward was Astra before she was Romana

• Locked thread