Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Puppykicker
Oct 16, 2012

Meanwhile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Holy poo poo I need to track this down.

Dr. Puppykicker
Oct 16, 2012

Meanwhile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIL0T0BVlEw
Also, I freaked out when I realized that Sweet Sweetback and Tom Joad have essentially the same character arc.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Holy poo poo I need to track this down.

I actually think that Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song should be a required viewing in any sort of college-level film class. It virtually created the blaxploitation film genre, and is fascinating from a production level thanks to Melvin Van Peebles' total control over the production.

Plus, Bill Cosby was one of the primary financiers of the flick.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

I actually think that Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song should be a required viewing in any sort of college-level film class. It virtually created the blaxploitation film genre, and is fascinating from a production level thanks to Melvin Van Peebles' total control over the production.

Must've been back in his "Bill Cosby will cut a bitch." days.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

My brain just exploded. I always pictured him as a concerned father type. I never would have pictured him as a guy who would seriously gently caress your poo poo up.

Van5
Sep 9, 2011

CPL593H posted:

My brain just exploded. I always pictured him as a concerned father type. I never would have pictured him as a guy who would seriously gently caress your poo poo up.

Seriously, It's amazing. :psyboom:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Bonus Hobo-Cosby:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

Yeah, he financed the film with a $50,000 no-interest loan. He wasn't interested in making money on it, he just wanted to see it made.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

A stern lecture about the dangers of consuming too many Brontosaurus burgers maybe.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

Didn't Melvin Van Peebles get VD while filming the sex scenes (because he actually had sex during them.)

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

muscles like this? posted:

Didn't Melvin Van Peebles get VD while filming the sex scenes (because he actually had sex during them.)
Yup, he even filed for workman's comp after he found out he had VD.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Robert Denby posted:

Yup, he even filed for workman's comp after he found out he had VD.

Which allegedly he used to buy more film stock.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

CPL593H posted:

Which allegedly he used to buy more film stock.

That is heroic if true.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That is heroic if true.

Yup, it is true. Because the film's budget was so low and there were no stunt doubles, Van Peebles did all of his own stunts. This included the sex scenes, which he was able to classify as a "stunt." Since he was "injured on the job" he was able to make it a worker's comp issue and was rewarded compensation. He then took the money and put it right back into the movie to get it finished.

The lack of a stunt double is also why the writer/director/producer/lead actor of the entire film jumped off of a bridge nine times.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
I guess this weekend I'll need to do a double feature of "Sweet Sweetback" and "Badasssssss".
This poster has one of my favorite taglines of all time: "Rated X by an all-white jury"

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Frostwerks posted:

http://youtu.be/96WE2Nj-k-U

This the opening you were talking about for Across 110th?

Yeah, that's the one. Looks pretty amazing, from just that much of it.

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

Yup, it is true. Because the film's budget was so low and there were no stunt doubles, Van Peebles did all of his own stunts. This included the sex scenes, which he was able to classify as a "stunt." Since he was "injured on the job" he was able to make it a worker's comp issue and was rewarded compensation. He then took the money and put it right back into the movie to get it finished.

The lack of a stunt double is also why the writer/director/producer/lead actor of the entire film jumped off of a bridge nine times.

:drat:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Robert Denby posted:

This poster has one of my favorite taglines of all time: "Rated X by an all-white jury"
That (along with the subtitle House II: The Second Story) are just so utterly, Diamond-like in their utter flawlessness that I hope whoever came up with them wrote them down and then walked away into fog, never to be seen again, because what they just wrote will never be topped.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hey KinkyJohn, part of my order arrived today and the Dude poster is really loving cool.
It's printed on nice stock too, so good choice of distributor.

Now I just need to frame it and hang it over the bar... I also need a bar.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

caligulamprey posted:

That (along with the subtitle House II: The Second Story) are just so utterly, Diamond-like in their utter flawlessness that I hope whoever came up with them wrote them down and then walked away into fog, never to be seen again, because what they just wrote will never be topped.

People know about House? I love that movie! Is House II any good?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Shoehead posted:

House happens to have my favorite tagline of any movie ever.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Shoehead posted:

It's completely unrelated to the first one in any way, shape, or form. It's got the other guy from Cheers though.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Shoehead posted:

The first one is arguably the "better" movie. Despite the slapstick, it takes itself seriously enough to eek out a plot of actual merit about loss, suicide, and the horrors of war. House II: The Second Story is a batshit insane film that features magic mayan skulls, undead cowboys and a caterpillar dog (yes, you read that right).

I love both, but that's because I'm biased as they occupy a special, B-movie part of my heart next to films like the Critters and The Puppet Master movies.

Sef! fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 5, 2013

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

My friend thought there was something odd about this cover, then he pinpointed it: Goatse
I think he's just been over-exposed to it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Are you calling Adrian Brody an rear end in a top hat?
Did we learn nothing from Brodyquest?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

God fuckin' drat this is a great poster.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Yeah, when I scrolled down and saw the top of that Dummy poster this is exactly what I thought of as well. Puppets like that freak me out, thanks to Magic. The Puppetmaster movies didn't do anything for me though, dunno why.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jesus, when I read that, I heard Anthony Hopkins' voice.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Even better, the original TV spot that scared the poo poo out of countless kids in 1978.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Is the goatse so obvious no one is going to mention it?

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

:pseudo:
If it doesn't have the ring, it isn't "goatse".

gently caress's sake, imgur isn't letting me upload again. Imagine the poster for Men Who Stare At Goats is here and I have titled it "Goatsee".

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Wait, goddamn John Hammond directed that?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Origami Dali posted:

Even better, the original TV spot that scared the poo poo out of countless kids in 1978.

Thanks for posting that. That poster was scaring the poo poo out of me, but this just reminded me more of Goosebumps than anything.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CaptainHollywood posted:

Thanks for posting that. That poster was scaring the poo poo out of me, but this just reminded me more of Goosebumps than anything.

It's actually a pretty good movie.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If you haven't heard it, his rendition of Sgt. Pepper from this album may be the worst song ever recorded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUlv5FCqpeo

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Origami Dali posted:

It's the "a terrifying love story" that gets me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CPL593H posted:

It's actually a pretty good movie.

It's the best film about a ventriloquist dummy other than the segment in Dead of Night.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Madkal posted:

It's the "a terrifying love story" that gets me.
Especially confusing since another movie used the same tagline shortly afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
:gonk: