Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

comes along bort posted:

Do what thou wilt, shall be the whole of the law. Other than being a bluesdad.

If you like the old time blues, you're going to love Blueshammer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaM6lTmhnak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Heh, I was thinking the same thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fy73GK784A

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

comes along bort posted:

Do what thou wilt, shall be the whole of the law.
This is obviously always true, I'm just trying to point out that there are limitless possibilities just by turning the knobs. For many years I always kept the stuff on 10 and my mind blew when I finally started to try out other combinations. Now I'm pretty much never on 10.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I feel like the odd one out because I actually really like my neck pickup for rhythm and switching to my bridge for any lead and solo work. Apparently most people do the opposite?

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

syntaxfunction posted:

I feel like the odd one out because I actually really like my neck pickup for rhythm and switching to my bridge for any lead and solo work. Apparently most people do the opposite?

I wouldn't say that, most people seem to think that there is a time and a place for the neck pickup and I have to agree.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
On my Strat I usually use the neck pickup for most stuff fwiw.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Xabi posted:

For many years I always kept the stuff on 10 and my mind blew when I finally started to try out other combinations. Now I'm pretty much never on 10.

It took me putting the guitars away for a years and coming back to figure this out. It was like a bad habit I had no idea I was doing until I got back into it and realized how much I was missing.

As for the one pickup thing, Phil X has some tone geek comments on it around 15min into it

Sockington fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 5, 2013

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
If I get it, I'll have to supply the pickup. It's routed for a P90, so it can also fit mini humbuckers. If you had to have one bridge pickup that does stoner metal and occasional jazz, what would it be?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Gibson PAF.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Well, I've got some experience with minihumbuckers. You have to be careful, there's two distinct mounting styles.
I'm going to assume you're using a P90 mounting ring.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Mini-59-Vintage-Wound-Alnico-86K-Bridge-CREAM-ring_p_1499.html

I'd choose this for your classic rock sound, splittable if you want to go single coil. It's much warmer than the ceramic version I also have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aRQpu80Zfs

One of these is fat, and the other is crunchy. But for stoner metal, Sabbath style... go for vintage.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

http://blog.yahoo.com/cybergundam/articles/1239325/index
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fblog.yahoo.com%2Fcybergundam%2Farticles%2F1239325%2Findex

Holy balls. They made a Macross Fire Bomber guitar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYkrSkQKrlY - in anime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXasXnQF-9o - in RL.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 5, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

TopherCStone posted:

If I get it, I'll have to supply the pickup. It's routed for a P90, so it can also fit mini humbuckers. If you had to have one bridge pickup that does stoner metal and occasional jazz, what would it be?

A p90. :)

Low power/under wound.

ed

SGs are my favorite guitar. If I couldn't roll the tone/volume off of them they would be unusable.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 5, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

The new one's a little different from the one they made for Fukuyama I think but it still looks dumb in the raddest, dorkiest way.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.collectiondx.com/news_item/6513/nekki_basara_replica_guitar_arcadia_and_esp

Better pictures behind this link. The tuners are under the plastic shell at the head.

Still, at least it's playable.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

So, if I haven't missed anyone, that's 1 vote for a pickup that can't fit, 1 vote for a specific minibucker, and one vote for P90s in general.

I'm not the hugest fan of GFS from a customer-service standpoint, so I'm leaning away from their pickups.
Any other suggestions for specific models?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I don't really know of anywhere else that makes a good selection of minibuckers.
Now, the P90, obviously the choice is Lollar if you don't like GFS.
But I wouldn't think a P90 is all that great for metal.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

TopherCStone posted:

Any other suggestions for specific models?
Seymour Duncan Antiquity.
I've got a friend who's a nut for pickup swaps and he says ALL of the Seymour Duncan P90s are exceptional.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You can totally do metal on a p90. The exact pickup you would want from the sounds of it is a Pig 90, the p90 version of the Warpig by Bareknuckle. Like, that's exactly what would be perfect. But pricy.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Depends on what kinda "stoner" metal he's going for. Queens of the Stone Age/Fu Manchu like fuzz is, IMO, best coming from a low output P90. If you want Electric Wizard like DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM then a P90 might not cut it.

These are good p90s as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR3axYNQ3SU

ed

Try to find a P90 with Alnico IV or V.

Porter makes a good P90. OC Duff will make it with any type Alnico, any wind, etc for a really good price. TV Jones makes great pups but I've never tried their p90.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 5, 2013

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

More on the Fu Manchu side, maybe "stoner rock" would have been a bit more accurate term. Love the slower heavier stuff, but I can't play it.

The PX90 looks cool, but I think it's a bit on the hot side. I'll listen to some clips on the SD one. Also looking at the Golden Age P90 from Stewmac. I hear great stuff about their PAF clones, so maybe this will be pretty good for a low output vintage sound. Lollars are nice, but more than I want to spend on a single pickup if there are alternatives.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
"Vintage" output p90 might be your thing, then. That's one of the big reasons I grabbed my recent Les Paul. The coil tap knocks the p90s down from 7.something to 5.something in the output and it spits through a fuzz pedal very nicely.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

As a Fender Wide Range pickup fetishist, I squealed when I saw that this was a thing http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/NarrowRange.shtml
Won't have the same sound, but the idea is cool.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I've probably posted in this thread before. I come in here every couple of months when I realized I haven't played my classical guitar in awhile. I got it a few years ago in an attempt to learn to play flamenco. I typically get it out, tune it, pluck a few minor chords, get frustrated, and then it goes back in the closet for months.

I would totally pay for lessons, but finding someone who teaches that style is next to impossible. I seriously can't find anyone within 50 miles. I feel like I've learned all I can effectively from youtube videos.

How do I get over this hump and actually make some rumba rhythms?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

the posted:

I've probably posted in this thread before. I come in here every couple of months when I realized I haven't played my classical guitar in awhile. I got it a few years ago in an attempt to learn to play flamenco. I typically get it out, tune it, pluck a few minor chords, get frustrated, and then it goes back in the closet for months.

I would totally pay for lessons, but finding someone who teaches that style is next to impossible. I seriously can't find anyone within 50 miles. I feel like I've learned all I can effectively from youtube videos.

How do I get over this hump and actually make some rumba rhythms?

You can try getting lessons over Skype. I know it's done for upright bass, so I don't see why you couldn't find a real master flamenco player to learn from online. Also, this is more on the classical side than the flamenco side, but Mauro Giuliani wrote "120 Studies for Right Hand Development" that you might find nice to work through. Can be bought in book form or found online, since it's public domain.

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee.Black. You have five earth minutes ... Make it Perfect!
So I recently got a Boss RC-3 loop pedal for my Laney TI100. Recording and letting the loop play is no problem. However everytime I start playing over it the loop seems to mute a bit or cut out. Any idea why this might happen or how I can fix it? It doesn't seem to happen when I turn the gain way down so it plays (for as far as you can with a TI100) clean ; it has no dedicated clean channel. It does have an FX loop on the back with an input for Return & Send and a toggle for Bypass,Insert and Side Chain but I'm still very inexperienced with real tube amps so I'm not even sure what that does ...

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

TopherCStone posted:

As a Fender Wide Range pickup fetishist, I squealed when I saw that this was a thing http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/NarrowRange.shtml
Won't have the same sound, but the idea is cool.

I've been seriously debating getting a pair of these for my gold top for a while now.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

^^^
The concept is really good, and they have a good pedigree. I'm gonna try to hunt down some clips

Yannos posted:

So I recently got a Boss RC-3 loop pedal for my Laney TI100. Recording and letting the loop play is no problem. However everytime I start playing over it the loop seems to mute a bit or cut out. Any idea why this might happen or how I can fix it? It doesn't seem to happen when I turn the gain way down so it plays (for as far as you can with a TI100) clean ; it has no dedicated clean channel. It does have an FX loop on the back with an input for Return & Send and a toggle for Bypass,Insert and Side Chain but I'm still very inexperienced with real tube amps so I'm not even sure what that does ...

So, the pedal is going in front of the amp, not through the loop, but the amp's gain setting affects whether it momentarily mutes or not? Sounds like the problem is with the amp, I think.

For the effects loop, the send jack is an output from the preamp and the return is an input to the power amp, you put line level effects in there. You can also do pedal effects, usually modulation. Drives and stuff typically sound best going through the preamp. Worth trying. The switch does as it sounds, bypasses the effects loop, puts it in the signal, and side-chain if I remember correctly let's you blend between the "dry" amp-only sound and the "wet" loop sound.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.
Pickup discussion fun / hyperbole aside, purchase guitars based on playability and looks not pickup type or position. The latter can be fixed to whatever you want.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Forgot to post this here, but the aforementioned Photo -> Music competition is open and ongoing:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552193

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

jwh posted:

I've been seriously debating getting a pair of these for my gold top for a while now.
got one in the neck of my G&L tele, it's rad and pairs way better with the standard bridge than the SD Seth Lover it came with

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

RetardedRobots posted:

Pickup discussion fun / hyperbole aside, purchase guitars based on playability and looks not pickup type or position. The latter can be fixed to whatever you want.

Absolutely true, can't really go wrong getting a decent guitar that plays well, but doesn't have all the bells and whistles. All of those things can usually be installed after the fact (locking tuners, better pickups).

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I think it would be fun to play my electric guitar through my computer in GarageBand or something. The Apogee Jam looks perfect for that; can anyone advise whether that's a good product?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

beergod posted:

I think it would be fun to play my electric guitar through my computer in GarageBand or something. The Apogee Jam looks perfect for that; can anyone advise whether that's a good product?
I have horrible HORRIBLE feedback issues in GarageBand, even when wearing headphones, it's bizarre. I use the iRig and I've used 2 different ones thinking one might be bad but no dice. Maybe the Apogee Jam would be better for that?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

iostream.h posted:

I have horrible HORRIBLE feedback issues in GarageBand, even when wearing headphones, it's bizarre. I use the iRig and I've used 2 different ones thinking one might be bad but no dice. Maybe the Apogee Jam would be better for that?

I think that's caused by running the guitar output through the headphone jack on a Mac. That's what iRig does, right? Jam uses USB I think.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
For that price you can get an entry level recording soundcard and a cheap used mixer, or any number of usb breakout boxes with built-in preamps in case you want to record a miked signal at some point.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 6, 2013

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Sent out some emails and phonecalls to five local tutors that seemed good but out of four replies they're all booked solid until the end of July. Fifth one is yet to respond but I figure it's worth looking for alternatives now if the others are so busy.

Has anyone tried taking online guitar lessons using Google Hangouts or Skype? There seem to be a load of tutors doing that in England but some of them seem kind of dodgy. Advertising £30 per "course" then in small print adding on non-specified fees per lesson, mandatory textbook purchases from their Ebay stores and even charging for scale diagrams/chord charts that can probably be found for free with a quick search.

Then you have pretty famous guitarists like Paul Allender offering lessons over Skype in between touring/recording. If I'm going to pay for lessons I'd like to learn a bit more than metal tuned to DGCFAd even if it is my preferred tuning. Plus his interviews really play down theory in favour of "gently caress it, play what sounds good to you."

Verizian fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 6, 2013

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Verizian posted:

Has anyone tried taking online guitar lessons using Google Hangouts or Skype? There seem to be a load of tutors doing that in England but some of them seem kind of dodgy. Advertising £30 per "course" then in small print adding on non-specified fees per lesson, mandatory textbook purchases from their Ebay stores and even charging for scale diagrams/chord charts that can probably be found for free with a quick search.

I've been hearing about this concept a lot lately and I'm surprised there isn't a thread / weekly workshop on here that does this.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Is there a major site that lists Hangout/Skype tutors?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

the posted:

Is there a major site that lists Hangout/Skype tutors?

I dunno, but I always thought if I took Skype lessons I'd take them from this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sx8BAnHfq8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Not that I've seen, mainly find ads on Gumtree or other Craigslist style sites for the Skype ones. Hangouts are harder to find but I found a few communities that are on breaks at the moment. They do seem more geared towards intermediate lessons and specific genres though.