Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SubG posted:

end up with a way the gently caress more versatile set of cutlery, without a bunch of useless blades I'll never loving use, and still have around US$150 left to spend on mescal and strippers.

subg I don't know if I've ever said this, but I'd very much like to party with you one day

and go hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

I friggin love my benchcrafted mag blok. http://benchcrafted.com/Magblok.html

I ordered one based on your recommendation and love it.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Chemmy posted:

I ordered one based on your recommendation and love it.
I have one too, you will not regret it!

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Someone recommend me a good rice cooker. Are they all created more or less equal?

mystes
May 31, 2006

various cheeses posted:

Someone recommend me a good rice cooker. Are they all created more or less equal?
Assuming by "good" you mean >$100 and are looking at stuff like Zoujirushi, Panasonic, or Sanyo, yeah they are all pretty much the same with the exception of some crazy features on the really expensive ones that you probably won't actually use.

Otherwise there is some difference in functionality between a cheap rice cooker (which is basically just like putting a pot on the stove and turning it on) and the fancier ones (which are smart enough to know when to stop cooking the rice and keep it warm, which isn't essential but is really useful if you eat rice with most meals).

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

mystes posted:

there is some difference in functionality between a cheap rice cooker (which is basically just like putting a pot on the stove and turning it on) and the fancier ones (which are smart enough to know when to stop cooking the rice and keep it warm, which isn't essential but is really useful if you eat rice with most meals).

I've only ever had 'cheap' rice cookers (~$15-20 range depending on size) and they've all known when to stop cooking the rice and switch to 'warm' mode.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

various cheeses posted:

I'll give you two of my rice cooker Amazon reviews:

Expensive: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1MRD4C963MANM/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

Cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1NZG4AFSQGRG4/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

While you're there, a really good rice cooker book, which explains how to navigate the fuzzy logic versus the regular on-off rice cookers, and how to cook any grain using your cooker:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Ultimate-Rice-Cooker-Cookbook/dp/1558326677/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

pnau
Aug 20, 2006
Not sure if this has been covered in another thread, but can anyone recommend a guide/equipment for sharpening cooking and filleting knives ?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

pnau posted:

Not sure if this has been covered in another thread, but can anyone recommend a guide/equipment for sharpening cooking and filleting knives ?

How much do you want to spend?

Cheapest: (~$10)
Pros: Very Cheap, does a convex grind
Cons: does a convex grind
- Buy a cheap FLAT mousepad
- Apply high grit wet sanding sandpaper
- Watch a few videos on sharpening
- More info

Cheap: (~$30)
Pros: Cheap
Cons: Usually small stone so it's harder to do larger knives properly
- Get two cheap waterstones (one 200-400 one 600+ grit) (Norton makes decent ones)
- Explanation: Eventually, if you're doing it right, water stones will bow in the middle, the reason I told you to buy two stones instead of one two sider is that you can use one stone to level the other, like magic.

Also Cheap: (~$30)
- Get two grits of cheap oilstones (one 200-400 one 1000+ grit), it can be the same stone with two sides. (Look for Norton)
- Explanation: Whenever they use water in the video you use Honing oil at a much reduced amount.

Mid-Range (~$70) (HC < 60 knives only, so no VG-10+ stainless, no carbon steel knives)
Pros: HUUUUGE stones so it's easy to get even results, DuoSharps last pretty much forever, DuoSharps don't bow like waterstones
Cons: DON'T DO THIS ON HARD KNIVES, if you apply too much pressure you will eat a shitload of metal off your knife
- Get a DMT DuoSharp Fine/Extra-Fine (link)
- Watch a video on how to sharpen specifically with it with it on youtube
- Bonus: if you ever need to reshape a knife just buy the coarse/extra coarse DuoSharp, it gobbles metal like a champ
- Bonus2: If you want to get an ever finer edge on poo poo (you don't really need to go beyond DMT extra fine) and you get a waterstone, DMTs can be used to level other waterstones perfectly every time
- Explanation: The reason you don't want to do it on really hard knives is that the knives have a tendency to gobble the diamond from the DMT plate and they embed on the edge, I mean I guess diamond coated edge on a knife could be a good thing (it isn't).

Higher end (~120)
Pros: Decent sized stones, fairly long lasting
Cons: Expensive, don't drop these
- Buy two Shapton Glass stones (220 or 320 and 1000 will give you a ridiculously sharp knife)
- Buy a stone holder (generic works, the Shapton one is neat and heavy but unnecessary)

This is a hobby and you wan to sharpen for everyone you know: (~$250)
Pros: EASY AS gently caress
Cons: You don't actually get to practice sharpening, this is easy mode
- Get an Edge Pro Set with either Shaptons or Choseras (you can also get a fake edge pro on ebay)
- Read the manual.
- Find videos online on how to use it.

This is your hobby and you sharpen for everyone you know, super sperglord edition: (~$500+)
Pros: You can be the spergiest of sharpeners
Cons: You have to know how to sharpen before you use this
- Get a couple low grits of good quality stones (see above)
- Get a high quality high grit japanese water stone
- Sharpen that fucker
- Bonus: If you look at your knife wrong IT WILL CUT YOU.

edit: It's me, I'm the sperglord sharpener.
edit oilstone edition: Upped the grit requirements for oilstones

deimos fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 7, 2013

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

These Norton waterstones are also pretty decent:

http://www.amazon.com/Norton-Waterstone-Starter-Kit-flattening/dp/B000XK0FMU

You don't really need to get the whole kit, the 4000/8000 by itself works pretty well.

The Lansky rod system is a very cheap alternative that also works just fine:

http://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Gourmet-Crock-Stick-Sharpener/dp/B001KN3OLI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370536255&sr=8-1&keywords=lansky+gourmet

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

deimos posted:

- Get an Edge Pro Set with either Shaptons or Choseras
- Read the manual.

Faker edge pros from China are available on ebay as I've mentioned before in the product recommendation thread.
eg: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hot-Knif...=item3cd21082c5
Both the basic one and their upgraded one. The stones they supply aren't too good, but many good stones available too, from China at a higher price than the whole kit.
Eg the good stones go for more than the faker edge pro kit:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sharpeni...=item2a283f2334
Or can order from a proper US sharpening stone supplier bare stones cut to about the edge pro width/length, eg from congress tools in the US (but have to make your own backing plate for them to suit the edge pro, faker edge pro)
Plus edge pro makers made an updated version with a huge single suction cup mount, they are available in faker form on ebay from china too if you search.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Why not use a belt sander for sharpening, like a Real Man who uses Real Tools

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Man (some) uses right tool for the job?

toby
Dec 4, 2002

3000 grit http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/product_info.php?products_id=3280
6000 grit http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-x-72-Sanding-Belt-S6000/G4876
You could sharpen the poo poo out of a knife with those. Look at those nice belts. So #sharp #wow

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

toby posted:

3000 grit http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/product_info.php?products_id=3280
6000 grit http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-x-72-Sanding-Belt-S6000/G4876
You could sharpen the poo poo out of a knife with those. Look at those nice belts. So #sharp #wow

On belts, sandpaper's typically for initial grind on a knife, for touch ups they have two issues: too much heat and too much metal taken off.

You can use sandpaper, using what's called the mousepad method, personally not my favorite (I prefer a V grind to a convex grind) but it's another method, forgot to mention it.

pnau
Aug 20, 2006

deimos posted:

How much do you want to spend?

Cheapest: (~$15)
Pros: Very Cheap, does a convex grind
Cons: does a convex grind
- Buy a cheap FLAT mousepad
- Apply high grit wet sanding sandpaper
- More info

- Get two cheap waterstones (one 200-400 one 600+ grit)
- Explanation: Eventually, if you're doing it right, water stones will bow in the middle, the reason I told you to buy two stones instead of one two sider is that you can use one stone to level the other, like magic.

Mid-Range (~$70) (HC < 60 knives only, so no VG-10+ stainless, no carbon steel knives)
Pros: HUUUUGE stones so it's easy to get even results, DuoSharps last pretty much forever, DuoSharps don't bow like waterstones
Cons: DON'T DO THIS ON HARD KNIVES, if you apply too much pressure you will eat a shitload of metal off your knife
- Get a DMT DuoSharp Fine/Extra-Fine (link)
- Watch a video on how to sharpen specifically with it with it on youtube
- Bonus: if you ever need to reshape a knife just buy the coarse/extra coarse DuoSharp, it gobbles metal like a champ
- Bonus2: If you want to get an ever finer edge on poo poo (you don't really need to go beyond DMT extra fine) and you get a waterstone, DMTs can be used to level other waterstones perfectly every time
- Explanation: The reason you don't want to do it on really hard knives is that the knives have a tendency to gobble the diamond from the DMT plate and they embed on the edge, I mean I guess diamond coated edge on a knife could be a good thing (it isn't).

Higher end (~120)
Pros: Decent sized stones, fairly long lasting
Cons: Expensive, don't drop these
- Buy two Shapton Glass stones (220 or 320 and 1000 will give you a ridiculously sharp knife)
- Buy a stone holder (generic works, the Shapton one is neat and heavy but unnecessary)

- Get an Edge Pro Set with either Shaptons or Choseras
- Read the manual.

This is your hobby and you sharpen for everyone you know, super sperglord edition: (~$500+)
Pros: You can be the spergiest of sharpeners
Cons: You have to know how to sharpen before you use this
- Get a couple low grits of good quality stones (see above)
- Get a high quality high grit japanese water stone
- Sharpen that fucker
- Bonus: If you look at your knife wrong IT WILL CUT YOU.

edit: It's me, I'm the sperglord sharpener.

Awesome will check out those videos. Don't mind getting something mid to high end if its going to last a while as I am slowy building up my kitchen arsenal.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

deimos posted:

- Get two cheap waterstones (one 200-400 one 600+ grit)
You're only going to be able to dress the surface of a waterstone with a harder waterstone (or some other surface), so if you get two stones you're only going to be able to use, at most, one to dress the other and you'll still have the same problem with the harder stone. You're also wearing down both of your stones just to true the surface, which is probably not what you want, even with cheap stones.

They sell lapping/flattening stones to dress the surface of waterstones. I've never really had a good experience with them. You're really better off using sandpaper on a true surface (like a glass plate or known-true workbench surface, same as if you're lapping the sole of a bench plane), or something like a paving stone or tile with a coarse but true surface.

I'll also point out that you didn't mention oilstones, which tend to be cheaper than waterstones and don't wear a fraction as fast. I do most of my profiling work on Norton Crystolon stones; you can get a duplex Norton stone (which is just two thinner stones with different grits bonded together) for arouns US$20. If I was really wanting to sharpen on a budget I'd just use a duplex Norton stone and then strop on a belt or rifle sling.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

SubG posted:

I'll also point out that you didn't mention oilstones, which tend to be cheaper than waterstones and don't wear a fraction as fast. I do most of my profiling work on Norton Crystolon stones; you can get a duplex Norton stone (which is just two thinner stones with different grits bonded together) for arouns US$20. If I was really wanting to sharpen on a budget I'd just use a duplex Norton stone and then strop on a belt or rifle sling.

Personal preference strikes again, I don't like oilstones as much, even though they last longer. I much prefer the mechanism of waterstones in which the particulate breaks down to smaller particles and the swarf/mud is the actual sharpening mechanism. Oilstones are good starter too.

Regarding truing, you're right. I use my DMTs for truing most of the time, before that I used an oilstone.

deimos fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 6, 2013

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski
I've lucked out hard and things are going pretty alright for me lately and I kinda wanna invest in a goofy middle class semi-useless appliance after 10 years of being practical. :pseudo:

Is there a good drink cooler/general beverage cooler that isn't just a punky little ugly mini fridge that's worth a drat? I'd use my fridge as is but I like to keep a variety of stuff for company and mixing drinks, and my fridge is full of food and food accessories.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Economy Clown Car posted:

I've lucked out hard and things are going pretty alright for me lately and I kinda wanna invest in a goofy middle class semi-useless appliance after 10 years of being practical. :pseudo:

Is there a good drink cooler/general beverage cooler that isn't just a punky little ugly mini fridge that's worth a drat? I'd use my fridge as is but I like to keep a variety of stuff for company and mixing drinks, and my fridge is full of food and food accessories.

I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I have a $100 magic chef mini fridge that I've converted to a beer fermenter / drink storage unit. I recently moved it into my office, and it's so great. it's lazy of me, but nice to be able to just walk across the room and grab a drink. it's black and not very conspicuous, for $100 I couldn't ask for more.

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski

mindphlux posted:

I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I have a $100 magic chef mini fridge that I've converted to a beer fermenter / drink storage unit. I recently moved it into my office, and it's so great. it's lazy of me, but nice to be able to just walk across the room and grab a drink. it's black and not very conspicuous, for $100 I couldn't ask for more.

Just looked up the magic chef line of mini fridges and that actually might fit the bill quite nicely, how much capacity/how many bottles or cans do you think it could hold? I mainly just want something to hold spare misc bottles of tonic water, seltzers, juices, garnishes, beers and liquors I think should be chilled. Part of me wanted to go full retard and get one with the see through door but that's not a requirement.

Economy Clown Car fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 16, 2013

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Economy Clown Car posted:

Just looked up the magic chef line of mini fridges and that actually might fit the bill quite nicely, how much capacity/how many bottles or cans do you think it could hold? I mainly just want something to hold spare misc bottles of tonic water, seltzers, juices, garnishes, beers and liquors I think should be chilled. Part of me wanted to go full retard and get one with the see through door but that's not a requirement.

I don't know - I think I have around a 4.4 cuft model -

http://media.webcollage.net/rwvfp/w....jpg.web.v1.jpg

mine holds a 5 gallon bucket of beer while fermenting. I removed the plastic side door compartments and replaced with some plastic siding, and removed the freezer door and carefully bent the metal freezer compartment downwards, so like the cooling element is in the back of the fridge. I usually just stack stuff wherever it'll fit when I'm not fermenting - so like right now I have a 18 pack of beer in there, a case of wine, a couple liter bottles of sparkling water, some grits (for some unknown reason), and some goldschlager. so it holds a lot - I wouldn't wanna put all that poo poo in my main fridge, but it's nice to have it cold.

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski

mindphlux posted:

I don't know - I think I have around a 4.4 cuft model -

http://media.webcollage.net/rwvfp/w....jpg.web.v1.jpg

mine holds a 5 gallon bucket of beer while fermenting. I removed the plastic side door compartments and replaced with some plastic siding, and removed the freezer door and carefully bent the metal freezer compartment downwards, so like the cooling element is in the back of the fridge. I usually just stack stuff wherever it'll fit when I'm not fermenting - so like right now I have a 18 pack of beer in there, a case of wine, a couple liter bottles of sparkling water, some grits (for some unknown reason), and some goldschlager. so it holds a lot - I wouldn't wanna put all that poo poo in my main fridge, but it's nice to have it cold.

That is literally perfect for what I want to use it for. Even as is with no other changes other than taking the shelves out. Much thanks!

Also grits are delicious and breakfast grits with a beer is fantastic, that's why they are in there. :colbert:

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?
I'm looking for a wine fridge and everywhere I look all the reviews says they last about a year or two. This would be for reds so it doesn't have to be beefy, any suggestions?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I wonder, would a regular mini fridge do if you just set the temperature higher?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Steve Yun posted:

I wonder, would a regular mini fridge do if you just set the temperature higher?

It would be on the cold end of acceptable - if you really want to keep it at cellar temps, you'll need to either buy a dedicated wine fridge, or buy a mini fridge and replace the thermostat.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
I want to buy something to help me dice veggies quickly. I like to cook, but I am fairly slow and long prep times keep me from cooking quite as often as I'd like to.

I'm used to manual presses like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Weston-83-2014-W-Multi-Chopper/dp/B003ZFWC7G/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1371477799&sr=8-15&keywords=dicer

I'd prefer something manual with an overhead press, though this model seems to be getting lovely reviews. I used a bigger, metal one with a similar design that I really loved, I'm not sure where I could get one of those though.

I am also open to these: http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...&keywords=dicer

The hinge kind of worries me, but I figure I am just being anxious about something I'm unfamiliar with.

Finally, I am curious about electric Food Choppers/Processors... do these actually cut into relatively even chunks? I think I'd prefer a manual dicer/chopper because I know I'd get pretty uniform pieces. Could something electronic accomplish this?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Do you dislike cutting vegetables particularly? Because instead of buying more stuff to clog your drawers and cabinets, I'd suggest investing in 20 pounds of root vegetables, a sharp knife and a few hours of practice. Maybe something like Pepin's Complete Technique, if you want a picture guide on how to do some of the cuts.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Cleaning on any of those presses or choppers or whatever is really a pain, too. There's really no reason to use them unless you're prepping for a dinner service of like, 30+, or something. Any time you would save on the cutting side you'll more than make up for on the cleaning side. Get a sharp knife and learn how to use it.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
No, I don't dislike cutting vegetables. Prep work is actually one of my favorite parts of cooking. I enjoy focusing on making even cuts while enjoying a CD and a(number of) drink(s). It's just that I'm slow to the point where I don't feel like I have time to cook every night, and I'd like to move closer to that.

My knife skills aren't the best though. I could stand to improve there and that'd be helpful in more ways than a chopper would be. I'll check out that Pepin book. Maybe even the DVD(probably not the DVD).

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

One thing I've started to do is worry less about getting perfectly even cuts. Sure, it means things don't cook as evenly, but for home cooking it's not really a big deal. I just judge size loosely based on whether I'll need to stab things with a fork, spoon them, or want to blend them later, or some other random metric. I figure even a 20% variation in size between chunks isn't a big deal.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Fisticuffs posted:

No, I don't dislike cutting vegetables. Prep work is actually one of my favorite parts of cooking. I enjoy focusing on making even cuts while enjoying a CD and a(number of) drink(s). It's just that I'm slow to the point where I don't feel like I have time to cook every night, and I'd like to move closer to that.

Prep things like diced/sliced onions, celery, carrots, etc. the night before and keep them in a container in the fridge.

I've never been happy with food processors for dicing veggies too. They're great for doing a large quantity of stuff, but the quality of the dice is usually not that great. You'll get big hunks of veggies mixed with a fine mince--you have to constantly pulse and scrape down the sides too. For just a few vegetables a kitchen knife really is the fastest way to do it in my experience.

edit: A good v-slicer or mandoline might be worth looking into though. They are seriously a joy to use and will slice things super quickly. Be careful with your fingers when using one! This OXO one is nice: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-V-Blade-Mandoline-Slicer/dp/B001THGPDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371527993&sr=8-1&keywords=oxo+mandoline

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 18, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I keep a quart each of small diced onion, carrot, and bell pepper in my fridge. They're good for 3-5 days.

A food processor is overkill for veg prep. Just get good with a knife.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
cutting stuff is one of the great joys of cooking. take you $100 budget, buy a nice $85 knife, and 15lbs of onions (~$15). practice on a few a day and you'll be a master by the end.

peeling and rough dicing an onion takes me about 25 seconds, and I'm not very fast in the grand scheme of things. a tomato takes about 15, a clove of garlic maybe 10. everything is just so easy once you gain some confidence and have a nice knife to work with.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Can anyone recommend a good citrus press? I'm looking for something like the pewter (?) hand presses you see used at a margarita bar. The simpler and less fancy, the better.

Example picture:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
This works great for me:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A7S636/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unless you're really into the looks there's no reason to get a standing press.

Make sure you are using it the right way!!! I am almost positive that the majority of these in the country are used on fruit facing the wrong direction (cut side up instead of down)

toby
Dec 4, 2002

No Wave posted:

Or higher volume. Believe me, your hand starts to get tired after juicing 100 limes, and the standing press is faster for doing a bunch of presses in a row.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

No Wave posted:

This works great for me:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A7S636/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Make sure you are using it the right way!!! I am almost positive that the majority of these in the country are used on fruit facing the wrong direction (cut side up instead of down)

Thanks. I was looking for a stand up because I thought it would be less straining when juicing 20+ limes. How tiring do you think it would be to squeeze that like 40 times?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

walruscat posted:

Thanks. I was looking for a stand up because I thought it would be less straining when juicing 20+ limes. How tiring do you think it would be to squeeze that like 40 times?

Insanely tiring. I am also looking for a good standup press, let me know if you find anything. I keep meaning to go hunting around for a god kitchen supply store but never have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Are you guys sure you're doing it right?

Like this:

40 limes shouldn't be a problem, but again you know your needs better than I do.

• Locked thread