Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

daslog posted:

The RS saga continues.

I ran this test http://www.amazon.com/automotive/dp/B0007ZDRUI

The instructions say if the Fluid turns yellow than it's exhaust gases in your radiator. My fluid turned Green. I rinsed out the container and repeated the test. Still green.

What does Green mean?

Wouldn't that just indicate not all the blue fluid is turning yellow but some must be, how else would you get a green color out of a blue fluid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

daslog posted:

The RS saga continues.

The instructions say if the Fluid turns yellow than it's exhaust gases in your radiator. My fluid turned Green. I rinsed out the container and repeated the test. Still green.

What does Green mean?

Check some of the reviews on your link. One guy wrote this:

quote:

The color change for my testing was gradual, ie it went from blue to green to yellow. This shows that the color change is relatively proportional to the amount and rate of leakage. The color change for the right bank was pretty quick and the color change for the left bank took several minutes. I ran this several times on both a hot and cold engine. The results were generally reproducible.

Does the back of the bottle say anything at all about it?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I did see that review, but I was hoping someone had actual experience with this test.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
So anyways I traded in my FRS for a plasma blue pearl STI 5-door. I loved basically everything about the FRS except the build quality. The STI is a wildly different automobile, but I wouldn't go so far to say it drives "better".

It's certainly more refined. Coming from a 2005 WRX I drove for 6 years prior to my FRS, the car is familiar but obviously superior in every sense.

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

But yea I would also like to witness someone try to get warranty with the killer b pickup. Gauge might be better if you care about warranty.

I'm interested to know that turned you off the FRS/BRZ so quickly. And thanks for clearing up the financing questions that makes alot more sense now :downs:

Seems like the Killer B install would be pretty hard to notice unless you removed the oil pan. I also don't know how much of a stickler for after market components Subaru is, at least the dealer I went to. They were telling me the first thing I should do is get a tune for the thing.

As for why I soured on the FRS, take your pick. The issues I could handle, but the attitude of Scion every time I ran into the problems was so piss poor I could hardly stand it. The car was actually issue free when I traded it in, but I just no longer trust the car.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 5, 2013

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

nm posted:

Does subaru still do OEM optional gauge clusters?
My car (2005 LGT) has this as a dealer add on and it actually gives you real information

It is all defi guts too.

I think oil pressure, temp, and boost are all pretty vital. The pressure due to the oil pickup issue, temp because subaru isn't good on oil cooling (at least for track work, you can get scary temps), boost because you really should have a boost gauge on a turbo car.

Yeah and check your oil every fill up. These cars can drink oil very randomly -- a leading cause of older subaru engine death.

The dealer last night said that they have an OEM boost gage, I didn't get into specifics, but I'm going to make getting one a priority. I have my first oil change at the dealer at 3k miles, if the cost isn't too high I'll probably have them install it while its in.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

Catsoup posted:

I have a 2011 STi sedan and I would disagree with the seats and gas mileage opinion. I'm a big fan of the hug the seats give and my gas mileage has been averaging 24.6 MPH over 6600 miles (for a 300hp sports car, I can deal with this). I agree about the pistons though, I had a malforged piston #2 and my 4th pistol had a ringland failure about 10.5k miles in. It was completely covered by warranty though, so I don't really care. Interior rattles do happen, but the dash and door panels are very easy to take apart and add foam between the contacting surfaces.

To each their own. However, my 335i seats are way, way better and it's not even a pretentious sports car like the sti is. And it also gets around 29 mpg and is faster than my "Stage 1" sti. I'm with ya on fixing rattles, fixed several already. I'm not saying its not a cool car, but it is a bit over hyped.

^^^^^^^ don't buy the Mickey mouse factory mechanical boost gauge. They are way overpriced and crappy quality. Plus the mounting point is :zoid: ugly. Congrats on the car though, PBP hatches are so sexy. Mines DGM.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

daslog posted:

The RS saga continues.

What does Green mean?

What's going on with the car? Is it going through coolant?

bidikyoopi posted:

Oh god I want that on my 05 LGT. Where can I buy it? Couldn't find it on a quick google.

I know a place to get that...

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
Pearl White was actually my first choice. I test drove a DGM limited though and I liked that color every bit as much as the blue. Just, it was a sedan so...

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

jamal posted:

What's going on with the car? Is it going through coolant?

It is. About a pint or 2 of coolant every 300 miles

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
Painting/replacing all the plastichrome trim on my girlfriend's GH Impreza because she hates plastichrome as much as I do. I put a new mesh/fiberglass grill on it (still need to spray the support by the rad black to match) and now the task is to paint the plastichrome trim on the hatch black and to paint the bezels inside the head/tail lamps black. Her car is a light silver, and has some matte black rims on it. She wants to get new rims/wheels/tires down the road but she wants to stick with the black. Her idea/request is for me to make the trim on the trunk, lights, and grill matte black all around but I think it would come out a lot better with a semi-gloss. Particularly because I've never seen heads/tails painted matte black and I think it might come out weird. What would you guys do? The light bezels are a PITA to access so whatever I'm doing is probably permanent.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
I'm sure nobody really cares, but I'm pretty stoked about my new ride and feel obligated to post pictures anyways. :)

As a long time 2005 WRX driver I've always had a thing for the latest gen's front end. Absolutely the best angle.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

VelociBacon posted:

It looks like it's this, which I saw on RSD when I was buying pads awhile ago.

It is almost exactly the same thing except as it technically OEM, the colors and such match. (That also has the wrong gauges, no boost gauge would be stupid unless you have a boost gauge already)
It is PN# H5010AG000.
That said, if you can find one they're pretty stupidly expensive now (they were an option and they took those subaru bucks). The great gimmick back when they were new is that install at a dealer book was like 1 hour though it took a ton of plumbing and routing to actually locate.

Watch out for the JDM version because the gauges face the wrong way.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 6, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

daslog posted:

It is. About a pint or 2 of coolant every 300 miles

Well poo poo. Is it coming out the overflow or just getting consumed? All the air is definitely out of the system? Does it overheat?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Linux Nazi posted:

I'm sure nobody really cares, but I'm pretty stoked about my new ride and feel obligated to post pictures anyways. :)

As a long time 2005 WRX driver I've always had a thing for the latest gen's front end. Absolutely the best angle.

I care! Gorgeous car, I'm very jealous.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
So I recently purched a 2013 wrx. Ive had the car for about 3 months and I recently noticed that I have an excessive amount of rock chips, several of which have already completely removed some paint on the hood. I am new to the world of subarus and from I have been able to gather this is fairly normal for them. I was wondering what the general gooncensus is on products such as 3M clear bra. I was considering having a body shop touch up the hood and having a clear bra installed. I have already purchased rally armor to help with the sides. Any info is greatly appreciated.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

TheFargate posted:

So I recently purched a 2013 wrx. Ive had the car for about 3 months and I recently noticed that I have an excessive amount of rock chips, several of which have already completely removed some paint on the hood. I am new to the world of subarus and from I have been able to gather this is fairly normal for them. I was wondering what the general gooncensus is on products such as 3M clear bra. I was considering having a body shop touch up the hood and having a clear bra installed. I have already purchased rally armor to help with the sides. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Rally Armor flaps are a joke.

However 3M clear bra or similar? Good idea and it works really well

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
Well after seeing the chipping on the side and browsing the interwebs the most common solution I saw was the rally armor so i said gently caress it and ordered some. Would you by chance be able to reccomend somewhere in nj area to get a clear bra installed? Also trying to determine exactly what areas to cover. I know at the least the bumper and front lip area of the hood.

Edit: is there a better option than rally armor at a similar price?

TheFargate fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 6, 2013

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

jamal posted:

Well poo poo. Is it coming out the overflow or just getting consumed? All the air is definitely out of the system? Does it overheat?

It's getting consumed, but it has not overheated. Usually the overflow ends up empty.

I can try to burp it for an hour and I still get a trickle of air bubbles.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

TheFargate posted:

Well after seeing the chipping on the side and browsing the interwebs the most common solution I saw was the rally armor so i said gently caress it and ordered some. Would you by chance be able to reccomend somewhere in nj area to get a clear bra installed? Also trying to determine exactly what areas to cover. I know at the least the bumper and front lip area of the hood.

There are similar options at better prices. Flapatax and some other brand that I can't remember the name of. Other people are happy with $20 generic set from the auto parts store, and some people use cutting boards from IKEA which is weird to me.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

There are similar options at better prices. Flapatax and some other brand that I can't remember the name of. Other people are happy with $20 generic set from the auto parts store, and some people use cutting boards from IKEA which is weird to me.

Googled ikea mudflaps and I must say they look a lot less ridiculous than I had pictured it in my head. Other than the fact that rally armor is absurdly overpriced, do they offer significantly less protection than those like you have suggested? If not I will most likely just install those( should arrive tomorrow) as I drive around 100 miles per day for work and would like to have something installed asap to minimize anymore possible damage.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

TheFargate posted:

Googled ikea mudflaps and I must say they look a lot less ridiculous than I had pictured it in my head. Other than the fact that rally armor is absurdly overpriced, do they offer significantly less protection than those like you have suggested? If not I will most likely just install those( should arrive tomorrow) as I drive around 100 miles per day for work and would like to have something installed asap to minimize anymore possible damage.

Eh, it's a mudflap. It's a piece of rubber or plastic that screws onto your car. The advantage of polyurethane flaps is durability. I have RallyArmor flaps (which I received as a gift), and after seeing what they are, it's really ridiculous what they charge. You're paying for name with those. Them providing the installation hardware makes it really easy, but if you can cut straight lines and put holes in the right spot, it would be economical to just buy a huge semi-truck mud flap or two and cut it to size.

Also, don't back into any curbs because you'll tear those $150 flaps off in a second.

edit: vvv A testament to their durability.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 6, 2013

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I ran semi truck flaps bolted to my fenders. One got caught when I was autocrossing and crunched up my fender. I ripped the fender off, ziptied up the bumper cover, and kept racing the rest of the day :cool:

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
That is good to know, Im going to throw the rally armor on for now and if anyrhing happens to em Ill do something along those lines. Now I just need to figure out what to do with current issues and where to get a clear bra done. Currently have only been able to find one place near me that I have come across on multiple forums that is highly reccomended.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

VelociBacon posted:

I care! Gorgeous car, I'm very jealous.

Yeah me too. Mine just needs to hurry the gently caress up and get here already.

TheFargate posted:

I've been looking for the same thing. People seem to not like the Rally Armor much, but other brands I have seen cost the same or more. Which is absurd.
http://www.drtcomponents.com/ I think look better and are supposed to be thicker with better coverage than RA but at $159 a set + $15 shipping they can go gently caress themselves.

Personally I think I will end up going with these guys http://www.flapatax.com/mudflaps/indexIMP.html

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
I checked out the flapatax and kind of regret not checking this thread first but at this point I will have the RAs tomorrow so gently caress it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Nothing wrong with the RA flaps. Out of all the ones out there they are probably the best fitting and nicest. The dislike comes from them being called "rally armor" when they are not actually suitable for stage rally.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

daslog posted:

It's getting consumed, but it has not overheated. Usually the overflow ends up empty.

I can try to burp it for an hour and I still get a trickle of air bubbles.

Try a new radiator cap? This is the one you recently put together, right?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

jamal posted:

Try a new radiator cap? This is the one you recently put together, right?

I tried a new cap already, and yes.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

Nothing wrong with the RA flaps. Out of all the ones out there they are probably the best fitting and nicest. The dislike comes from them being called "rally armor" when they are not actually suitable for stage rally.

They're more like midwestern road armor. Great for winter, probably bad for rally. They are shockingly expensive, though mine have 100k mi on them at this point and show no signs of stopping. The legacy wagon suffers from damage on the rear from poo poo kicked up by the tires, and mine is one of the few that saw a midwestern winter or three and aren't torn up there.
That said, I got them without the logo (do they still do that?) because a big red "rally armor" on you flaps makes you look like a tool.

Edit: holy poo poo they now cost $130 and there is now no no logo option. I'd go to ikea. Mine cost like 60 bucks or something.

nm fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 6, 2013

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

nm posted:

They're more like midwestern road armor. Great for winter, probably bad for rally. They are shockingly expensive, though mine have 100k mi on them at this point and show no signs of stopping. The legacy wagon suffers from damage on the rear from poo poo kicked up by the tires, and mine is one of the few that saw a midwestern winter or three and aren't torn up there.
That said, I got them without the logo (do they still do that?) because a big red "rally armor" on you flaps makes you look like a tool.

Edit: holy poo poo they now cost $130 and there is now no no logo option. I'd go to ikea. Mine cost like 60 bucks or something.

I mounted mine on the opposite sides so they would be reversed and logo would be hidden.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
The only reason why my sti has RA on them is that they came with the car. I wouldn't really spend that much on them if I had to buy them.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

I mounted mine on the opposite sides so they would be reversed and logo would be hidden.

So now the logos are visible from the front instead of the back? Slightly obscured by the tires? Seems even goofier.

To add my 2 cents I had them installed but took them off for summer. Will use them in winter though if I still have the car.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

So now the logos are visible from the front instead of the back? Slightly obscured by the tires? Seems even goofier.

To add my 2 cents I had them installed but took them off for summer. Will use them in winter though if I still have the car.

You'd have to really stick your head in there and look to see it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

daslog posted:

I tried a new cap already, and yes.

Well... I guess you could try giving the head bolts an extra couple of lb-ft.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

jamal posted:

Well... I guess you could try giving the head bolts an extra couple of lb-ft.

OK. Just to make it weirder...

I topped off the coolant two days ago, and it was totally full in the radiator this morning.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

You'd have to really stick your head in there and look to see it.

Oh nice. Mine have the hardly visible grey logo anyway, so maybe next time I mount them I'll try it your way.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

bidikyoopi posted:

Oh god I want that on my 05 LGT. Where can I buy it? Couldn't find it on a quick google.

http://gaugetek.wix.com/vbg1

I have this in my Legacy since I have nav instead of the cubby, looks pretty stock and it's easy to install and setup.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
So I have my new 2013 STI and $500 for gauges, can somebody experienced with adding gauges point me in a good direction? I only care about oil temp, oil pressure, and boost. Something that installs without having to tear my hair out would be nice :(

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Linux Nazi posted:

So I have my new 2013 STI and $500 for gauges, can somebody experienced with adding gauges point me in a good direction? I only care about oil temp, oil pressure, and boost. Something that installs without having to tear my hair out would be nice :(

If you're not super familiar with wiring/soldering/taking dashes apart/installing the sender units into the engine etc, you might be better off having someone else install them.

If you want to do them yourself, I just installed some "Prosport" gauges, which are also electronic. Like you, I only care about oil temp/pressure and boost, and these three gauges from Prosport were about $150. You should be able to find someone to install everything for under $350, but you might need to buy a pod as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

Linux Nazi posted:

Good luck. Running wires through the firewall on mine was about as fun as a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Also depending on where you want them / it installed you may not need to tear up the dash. I have a Defi boost gauge that's screwed into my steering column. Pics are in this thread somewhere if you care.