Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Join Us! posted:

I went digging for period maps of each city

(You know Google Earth has a historical imagery feature BTW...?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Houston

einTier posted:

Sure am. Trying to tie your clues in as well. I'm hoping it doesn't mean that the prize can only be found in December, when the shadows are right. I think that was genius the way you tied in the map orientation to the star and the shadows. Makes perfect sense.

Okay good, thanks. I wasn't sure if the stuff I mentioned had been pointed out yet or not.

As far as the December thing goes, it's June now, which I guess is like the opposite of December. All that means is that the sun is in the Northern Hemisphere along the Tropic of Cancer right now, instead of being in Southern Hemisphere along the Tropic of Capricorn like it would be in December. So all we have to do is factor that into the angles and orientations of the shadows, and we should be good to go. :)

einTier posted:

I'm also finding the red stone super curious. It stands out so much, it should mean something. However, I think the clues pretty well point to the area of the park near Pioneer Monument, north of where SP982 used to sit. There's too much in common with all of it.

Remember, every painting has a stone, representing the gemstone corresponding to it. This one looks like it marks the location of the cask relative to all of the objects in the painting.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

einTier posted:

Houston
Don't lose your way through the forest, there's not much to guide you here. But the monument could be a direction finder, it is in the center of four alike and is a tower.

It looks like while the monument was there in 1981, the fountains that surround it were not. They were added in a renovation around 2004 according to the guy at the zoo. The real key to cracking this is going to be figuring out what the four things are.

Edit: But I do agree, I think we're very close and it's in that area of Hermann Park, we just need to get some more context.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 6, 2013

StinkyMeat
May 25, 2003

M-m-m-my bologna.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

It looks like while the monument was there in 1981, the fountains that surround it were not. They were added in a renovation around 2004 according to the guy at the zoo. The real key to cracking this is going to be figuring out what the four things are.

Edit: But I do agree, I think we're very close and it's in that area of Hermann Park, we just need to get some more context.

Do we have a recap of where we're at for Houston? Or what is left to discover? I want to try to help but don't want to waste time on things that are pretty much set.

allta
Mar 28, 2011
Here's everything up until a few pages back for Huston so we don't go in too many circles:

Cask 8//Huston, TX

Disco Nixon posted:

I think the Houston one is referring to Hermann Park. Hermann is the only park with a train which matches up with the riddle. It also has a pond with a fountain that shoots water up. The zoo is nearby, and I think it used to have columns like that around the entrance, but it's gone through many remodels. I can't find a picture of it from the 80s unfortunately. I'm not sure where in the park the treasure would be, I don't know it that well, and don't live in Houston anymore so other Houston goons would have to investigate further.

Edit: I found train 982!!! I think it MUST be in Hermann park.

Disco Nixon posted:

That train has been moved to Minute Maid park, it would be good to know where it used to be.

Nathilus posted:

Good luck finding anything from the 80s by landmark in Hermann Park, though. That's assuming it hasn't been destroyed or made inaccessible by the renovations that have occurred in the meantime. Some kind of archived visual record of the park during that period would be the best you could hope for, and given the area's size I doubt it would be complete. Even learning if that sort of record exists would involve bull-rushing your way past Harris County bureaucracy or having county archives access via professional means. Or, this being Houston we're talking about, perhaps via the Good Old Boy And Money network.

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

I think the Houston one is in this location.
http://goo.gl/maps/FY6bX

I would put my money on the grass area inbetween the monument and the fountain

Are there animals on the monument? From the Houston picture I'm noticing that the camel pillar doesn't have a shadow.

Also could the line

Our strongest tower of delight
Falls gently
In December night

Be referring to where the shadow of the central tower falls pointing to where to dig? Like some National Treasure poo poo?

Raccoon Leaf posted:

I'm willing to bet that the tower (Pioneer Monument) has something to do with those lines, but here's a picture showing that things have been paved over and that the fountains are a new addition.

If only we could find more old pictures...

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

North of the monument is a statue of Sam Houston on his horse. Maybe about 200 yards north of it.
I'm gonna be in Houston tomorrow. Kinda makes me wanna go look around!

Good catch on the tree branches, I also see a "95" or a "957" in the branches just to the right of the ball pillar.

Edit: The park is at Longitude -95.3, but the latitude is 29.7. I'm not sure what the 96 symbolizes.

Raccoon Leaf posted:

Houston, Hermann Park.

EDIT: It looks like I'm not the only one who saw this. http://www.lemontiger.co.uk/images/misc/thesecret/map/

Wow. And the ruby is just to the bottom right of that pillar, which looks to me like it would be on the edge of the lake or the small grass area to the south of the Pioneer Monument.

Here are all the numbers I can find in the Houston picture so far. 30, -95 are really close to the Houston area so I think we're on the right track. Clicking straight on McGovern Lake at http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html doesn't really help with any of the other numbers.

Looking at this aerial view of McGovern Lake, I was trying to find a leaf that looked similar to it for confirmation. Too bad pretty much every leaf looks similar to it. The Pioneer's Monument is at the right hand side of the picture.

Raccoon Leaf posted:

Back from my visit to Hermann Park. I'm sorry to say it was not that productive. A good portion of the park was shut down for private events. There's a Garden Center that was having a staff retreat. They had cops posted at every entrance for some reason. The Miller Outdoor Theater was also blocked off for a children's play. There's a statue called "Atropos Key" on the top of the hill there that I wanted to investigate.

Here are some things, most of which are already obvious:

Single star in the sky = Lone Star = Texas
Numbers = Latitude and Longitude = Houston
Pillar with ball = Outline of the circle at Sam Houston Statue and Reflecting Pool at Hermann Park
982 = Number on Southern Pacific Steam Engine that used to be in Hermann Park (I'm trying to find out exactly where this was)
Seven pillars on image = Seventh Month (July)
Red gem = Ruby (July's Birthstone)
Odd shaped leaf right center in the image = Larkspur (July's Birth Flower)

Here's what I got from a quick Google search of some of the phrases in the verse:
"Fortress North"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortress_North_America
No clue if that would mean something

"Cold as glass"
Mentioned in Ayn Rand's Anthem to describe train tracks. Trains seem to be a big part of Hermann Park, including the old SP 982 and a mini-railroad system that has a whistle. I'm not sure if the mini train was running in the 1980s.

"Friendship south"

Picture I found online while researching the Garden Center

"In the center of four alike
Small, split,
Three winged and slight
What we take to be
Our strongest tower of delight"

The lemontiger guy linked this quote to a Melville piece that talks about falling leaves, locked caskets, and the three Fates.
The logo for Houston Parks & Recreation is a 3-pronged leaf, and one of the three Fates is named Atropos!
HPARD

Atropos Key statue

Lemontiger seems to think it's around the fence at the golf course. I see a few problems with that. First, even if we assume it's there, the golf course has been remodeled, and so it's probably destroyed. Second, he comes up with a scheme involving the number 11 based on the fact that there are pillars in the image and they look like the number 11. I don't think that makes any sense. Third, he ignores a few clues, including "In the center of four alike", which I think is the most important clue to the location (if we figure out what it means).

Manto posted:

Maybe it was obvious and didn't need pointing out, but in the pic for the Houston treasure there is a stitch like pattern in an arc at the base of the djinn/elemental that could be railroad tracks. I think I've seen railroad tracks depicted like that on maps before. It could be a hint that it is near a bend in the track. If the djinn is a fountain of some sort, the treasure could be near the bend in the track right before coming to the fountain.

Houston

I was talking to some friends about this tonight and one of them hit on something that may be significant.

"What we take to be
Falls gently
In December night"

Could this refer to a Christmas tree? Another friend thought she remembered there being a Christmas tree in the Japanese gardens area, but I can't find anything online about it.

Also I reversed the colors to see if anything else could be revealed here.

1. A strange shape in the leaves up here, not sure if they signify anything.
2. The djinn's wrappings look more like a face here wearing an old floppy hat. A really creepy face and not the best thing to discover while lying in bed in the dark.
3. The shadow of this dune looks like a seated lion
4. I noticed there was something written at the base of this pillar before, but couldn't make it out. It looks like 53 to me, but not sure what that signifies. There are also different numbers of rings above the bases of each pillar. 1 on the closest, 2 on the rhino's, and none on the camel's. The closest pillar also has the number one inscribed on it, the rhino pillar has two leaves in front of it, and I still think it's important that the camel pillar doesn't cast a shadow.

So I was linked this picture from the Children's Zoo, apparently this thing shoots water out of his cup. This hat looks very similar to the djinn's in the inverted picture, just flipped around so it might be the perspective from the other side of him.

And then there's this, apparently also taken inside the Children's Zoo. I don't know if I can just dismiss the Atropos Key clue, but a lot of the information for it being in the Children's Zoo is pretty compelling.

Mbwuto posted:

I just stumbled onto this thread, but is it possible the Houston image is more or less a literal map? Each pillar representing a sort of landmark you could see with the star orienting you into the proper perspective. One starts at the 982, which is a train, following it through a wooded area. It seems a fountain will be encountered and should be crossed while keeping your perspective in line which I think refers back to the picture itself.

I think you also use the brightest star in the December sky to orient yourself. Whatever object has that star overhead while still maintaining the perspective that puts the zoo exhibits into the right places. And from where the treasure is you can still see the fountain and probably the train. I think the whole thing relies on a perspective that doesn't necessarily make it in the zoo, but uses the zoo as a landmark that you might be able to easily observe from the cask site. I think it was originally buried between four trees, three of which were in poor health possibly.

I'm a little worried using satellite maps is problematic because he would have written these for people with access to only what he had at the time himself. It's why I'm not completely convinced the ball topped tower is that fountain because he would have had to either access a map or some kind of aerial photo which wasn't as easy of a feat then.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

StinkyMeat posted:

Do we have a recap of where we're at for Houston? Or what is left to discover? I want to try to help but don't want to waste time on things that are pretty much set.

Read over the last two pages. I'll try to get a recap. Everything I put together is missing.

According to Google Earth, those four fountains were put in between 1995 and 2001. The question is, what was there before?

Here's my best recap of what I'm thinking.

Houston

Threw this image together quickly, detailing the area where I think SP982 used to sit and what I think I've identified. Edited.

Very Large Image.

Dissecting what I think I know about the stanza:

quote:

Fortress north
Cold as glass
Friendship south
Probably something much more general, probably referring to Houston itself rather than the location of the park. Though it could be hints to the park itself.

quote:

Take your task
To the number
Nine eight two
This is obviously referring to SP982, the locomotive that used to sit in Hermann Park.

quote:

Through the wood
No lion fears
These photos show there were woods around the train in 2004. Which woods, it's hard to tell, but I think it was the woods to the north, across the lake.

quote:

In the sky the water veers
This might be referring to the fountains around the Pioneer Monument. You should be able to see them -- though not the base -- as you walk through the forest.

quote:

Small of scale
Step across
You'll cross the train tracks, which are actually "small of scale" because it's a kiddie train.

quote:

Perspective should not be lost
In the center of four alike
Small, split,
Three winged and slight
What we take to be
Don't lose your way through the forest, there's not much to guide you here. But the monument could be a direction finder, it is in the center of four alike and is a tower.

quote:

Falls gently
In December night
No idea.

quote:

Looking back from treasure ground
There's the spout!
At some point, you should be able to see the spout in the lake as you walk through the forest as you're standing on the treasure ground. Now, is this the spout in the lake near SP982? Or one of the spouts near the monument?

quote:

A whistle sounds.
Refers to the train.

Interestingly enough, this video shows that the track is virtually unchanged from the Pioneer Monument to the current Pinewood Cafe. Oddly, I did not catch sight of SP982, but based on other photos and the fact that the train comes into the station from the Pioneer Monument, it should be precisely where I thought it should be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d70KLMHbics

The historic train SP982 was moved sometime around 2005 to Minute Maid Park and was the subject of an episode of History Channel's Mega Movers.

It seems to be on the edge of McGovern lake and near the train tracks. I remember this train from when I was a kid, so I can be reasonably sure it was there in 1980. The only place I can find that even sort of fits is here, at the Pinewood Cafe. This is relatively new construction, and it appears it would hide where the SP982 used to sit. Even more interesting, it's near the two pieces of track I pointed out earlier, and coincidentally, there's a spout nearby out in the lake.

I played around with the cover image in Photoshop. The base of the pillar looks suspiciously like the old lion head water fountain. But where was it?

einTier fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 6, 2013

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Houston

I have officially decided to make a detour to Houston either late Friday or early Saturday. GaryLeeLoveBuckets, think you can help a brotha out with a permit? :mrgw:

Could it maybe be a reference to the four sides of this nice, lush little patch of grass right here?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 6, 2013

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
From what the guy said, I'd need to prove my case to the permit department, he could just tell them that I'm not crazy. I don't think they'll just give us carte Blanche to dig anywhere.

What we really need is some good reconnaissance of the Atropos Key and the area surrounding it and the Pioneer Memorial. Probably the Sam Houston statute as well because I feel like either the north star, the gem, or the shattered stones at the base of the camel pillar could be markers.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
OK, here's Google Earth's satellite images of Hermann Park in 1978 and 11 years later, in 1989. They're big, but short on detail.

The biggest notable difference from today is that McGovern Lake used to be a lot smaller.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What are those four little things around the center of the Sam Houston Memorial in this image? The little dark things?

EDIT: Maybe the "Small, split,\ Three-winged, and slight" is a reference to the triangular pattern made by the roads around the circle where the Sam Houston Memorial is, at the top.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 6, 2013

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

What are those four little things around the center of the Sam Houston Memorial in this image? The little dark things?

I don't know, but they disappear after 1995. They look like trees in later images.

The more I look at the Djinn's shadow, I think that's SP982. Look, there's a cow catcher, a round body, and then the smoke stack .... which forms the Djinn.

Something else very interesting.

The oddly shaped stone in the background, when turned on its side, roughly matches the contours of the park around McGovern Lake in 1979. I'm fully convinced it's somewhere in that area.

Reading on. In the background of the image, you can see hills that look like they have golf course bunkers cut into them. The Hermann Park Golf Course has been there since 1922.

I also discovered this:

quote:

What we take to be

This is a quote from a book called “Pierre – The Ambiguities” by Hermann Melville. Shortly after,
there follows talk of a locked casket and an invocation to the three Fates of Classical mythology
(Clotho, Lachesis and Atropos). The “Atropos Key” is nearby beside the Miller Theatre.

That statue was there in 1972, near the Miller Theatre I mentioned earlier. Lucky for us, the last of the major renovations were in 1968. It looks roughly the same today as it did in 1980.
http://milleroutdoortheatre.com/art-in-hermann-park/

I found this statue on the lawn in front of the Miller Outdoor Theatre. That's outside the area I think it's in.

Relevant passage:

quote:

But is life, indeed, a thing for all infidel levities, and we, its misdeemed beneficiaries, so utterly fools and infatuate, that what we take to be our strongest tower of delight, only stands at the caprice of the minutest event—the falling of a leaf, the hearing of a voice, or the receipt of one little bit of paper scratched over with a few small characters by a sharpened feather? Are we so entirely insecure, that that casket, wherein we have placed our holiest and most final joy, and which we have secured by a lock of infinite deftness; can that casket be picked and desecrated at the merest stranger's touch, when we think that we alone hold the only and chosen key?

And here again, not unreasonably, might invocations go up to those Three Weird Ones, that tend Life's loom. Again we might ask them, What threads were those, oh, ye Weird Ones, that ye wove in the years foregone; that now to Pierre, they so unerringly conduct electric presentiments, that his woe is woe, his father no more a saint, and Isabel a sister indeed?

einTier fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 7, 2013

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

einTier posted:

The more I look at the Djinn's shadow, I think that's SP982. Look, there's a cow catcher, a round body, and then the smoke stack .... which forms the Djinn.

This is what I was originally thinking, that the Genie represented steam coming out of a train whistle. Didn't notice the train details in the shadow though... good eye. :stare:

EDIT: Also the front of the train-shadow (with the cow-catcher) is facing east, and the train-tracks at the bottom of the painting line up with both the steam-spout and the Genie coming out of it, so maybe this is where the tracks go east? Or the location where the train starts/stops?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 6, 2013

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

einTier posted:

Something else very interesting.

The oddly shaped stone in the background, when turned on its side, roughly matches the contours of the park around McGovern Lake in 1979. I'm fully convinced it's somewhere in that area.

Meaning that if we change the orientation of the painting so that that shape is facing the same direction...

We get this.

Hey, the shadow of that sphere column kinda looks like the reflecting pool! :haw:

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
Boston

Why are we giving up on Boston all of a sudden? The treasure map contains a clue for 42 (on the cuff), but none of the lat/lon numbers for St. Louis. St. Louis coordinates: 38 37' 48", 90 12'; Boston coordinates: 42 21' 30"; 71 3' 37". There is some more discussion on the wiki.

Also there are the "Paul Revere" lines in the poem and "in truth, be free", which fits Harvard really well.

Anyway I wanted to give more weight to the Harvard interpretation that was suggested some pages ago. I looked up some articles on Harvard's history and architecture that were published in Harvard Magazine in the 80s. I think it's almost certain that BP read these exact articles. They are "Charlesbank Harvard: Radical Innovation, Architectural Masterwork" (Nov-Dec 1980) and "Does the Tower of Old North Church Belong in Harvard Yard" (Nov-Dec 1982). The author of these two articles explicitly calls the Harvard Stadium a Colosseum with metal walls. Then the Memorial Church evokes the Old North Church with its Paul Revere connection. It was also dedicated on November 11 (this is flimsy).

The author also discusses the "pagan" feel of a portion of the war memorial. I didn't see anything in the pictures that directly matched the treasure map (there are perched birds, but with their wings open), but perhaps, there is a thematic connection. Also, Harvard architecture is quite nuanced and contains a lot of decorations like latticework that might match the patterns on the sleeves and the dress. Specifically, there were a few things in the pictures that looked quite close to the pattern on the front of the address, albeit not as complicated.

Question: The article says that the Memorial Church in Harvard Square has a "tiara of stars". Any idea what this is about?

Nesetril fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 7, 2013

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

The Human Cow posted:

Has anybody tried to find a match for the highlights under the lion's eyes in the Charleston image? They're pretty distinctive-looking.

This is the only idea I've come up with for the lion.

It's a water fountain on the memorial to the CSS Hunley in White Point Gardens. The shapes under the eyes look similar to me and it might explain the weird appearance of the lion's forehead.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

TotalHell posted:

If you're using degrees/minutes for your format, the lat/long of the Angel Oak on John's Island is:

lat: 32 degrees 43 min
lon: -80 degrees 05 min

Edit: and yes, the lion head is very distinctive, both the patterning in it and the outline of it. I was thinking maybe it followed the contour of one of the rivers, like the Cooper or the Ashley, but I haven't been able to make it fit.

I went ahead and cut out the highlights under the eyes and the "hairline" to make it easier to put over other images:

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
Found SP982!

One of the other forums thought it was directly across the lake from the reflecting pond and Pioneer Monument, but this does not appear be true. She was on the East side of the lake, though not quite where I thought she was.

I can see her in satellite/aerial imagery through 1989 and considering how difficult it was to move the train (they laid track to get her there the first time), I doubt she was ever moved until she went to Minute Maid Park. I think the lake spout is new though, there's no evidence of it until about 2010.

Old map of Hermann Park. No idea when it dates to, but shows the old track. Wrong location for SP982, and I don't the track is exactly right either, going by Google Earth's historical photos.

einTier fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 7, 2013

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

^^^ So what does all of this mean, exactly?

Also real quick RE: Charleston, SC

Take a closer look at the lion's mane. You can make out the numbers '50' and what I assume is either '36' or a '32' with the 2 rotated around in the hairs of the lion's mane toward the right side. :eng101:

It looks like there might be some other stuff hidden in there too. Like that little cross shape on the lower left hand corner of the lion's mane hair, just above the tree branch (left side of the painting, right near the left border, almost at the vertical center). Also I'm pretty sure that the tree branch with the pear-looking thing is symbolic somehow.

But also too... Leo is the fifth sign of the zodiac. So maybe the verse for Cask 2 is Verse 5. Or not, I don't really know.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

^^^ So what does all of this mean, exactly?

I don't know. I think it changes the clues on my train tracks, which sucks, but I'm not sure it substantially changes anything about the locomotive.

I'm worried, in that Hermann Park has changed so much that it may be impossible to find now. Then again, as late as 2004, they said as far as they were concerned, "the hunt is still on". That would imply that none of the locations had been demolished or moved in any substantial way. Byron Preiss died in 2005, before they moved the SP982. I'm guessing that at least until then, Hermann Park hadn't changed enough to render the puzzle unsolvable. That bodes well for us.

einTier fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 7, 2013

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Houston

A couple quick things I think we might be overlooking:

1.) This is still possible:

Houston

I was talking to some friends about this tonight and one of them hit on something that may be significant.

"What we take to be
Falls gently
In December night"

Could this refer to a Christmas tree?
And hunh, that Atropos Key statue looks an awful lot like a Christmas tree, now that ya think on it! :crossarms:

2.) Remember how the column with the camel on it doesn't cast a shadow?

Well uhh, between that, the Genie being situated between the camel column and the rhino column (maybe the rhino column represents the Children's Zoo?), the Genie facing west (i.e. toward the camel column), and the fact that the ruby is situated almost directly underneath the camel column, I'm kinda thinkin' maybe the camel is symbolic of a HILL.

And what's that Atropos Key statue situated on top of there? A hill!?

I think it's a hill!! :q:

Raccoon Leaf posted:

There's a statue called "Atropos Key" on the top of the hill there that I wanted to investigate.

[...]

Atropos Key statue

So maybe Cask 8 is buried underneath a hill! Maybe even THIS hill!

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 7, 2013

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Rick Deckard posted:

Montreal

Checkered pattern is prominent.
1) The hyatt hotel exterior is completely checker patterned.
2) The hotel is close by to the Leg Eater statue.
3) The hyatt hotel was built in 1976, before the puzzle was created. (Source for this is the hotel manager. I e-mailed them)

1)

Star on top rightis the hotel.
Star on bottom left is the leg eater.
2)

Is this the hotel where he stay?

oh my god I work a street away from the legeater..im going to check it out on my next shift on Sunday and report back

and ive passed by this place a hundred times and never noticed the statue...curse you cultural city! :argh:

stab fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 7, 2013

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Houston I'm stopping myself now because past this I think everything is pareidolia. Here's what I see, blow it up all the way (click on the thumbnail's resolution rather than on the image for full size)

It's possible that it's all pareidolia, but I see a few things in the mural

circled top center in red, is a distinct 3. Maybe a 13, maybe a 30, maybe just a 3
circled up toward the top right in yellow is a stylized lion's face in profile, looking left.
circled in green one either side of the yellow circles, shoeprints? These are the ones I see as least likely to have been intentional and mean anything.
circled in light blue on the left edge, a letter? a number? a shape? branches without leaves or with small leaves spelled out obvious numbers, this is both without leaves and loops on itself, so it might mean something.

BJG posted:

(You know Google Earth has a historical imagery feature BTW...?)
Only back to 1994 for most places, unfortunately.

Mad Mafioso
Jan 13, 2009
I think you guys need to stop thinking you're right and start thinking you're wrong. You can't look for a christmas tree in a statue because you're going to see a christmas tree. You can't line up maps of a tiny location and compare it to a rock. It doesn't work. If you lined up a map and it was exact, perfect then it could be a clue. Stop looking for it and look at it. It's guaranteed to be simpler than you guys are making it. Try to prove yourself wrong, not right. If you do it the other way it's just a whole bunch of confirmation bias.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Mad Mafioso posted:

I think you guys need to stop thinking you're right and start thinking you're wrong. You can't look for a christmas tree in a statue because you're going to see a christmas tree. You can't line up maps of a tiny location and compare it to a rock. It doesn't work. If you lined up a map and it was exact, perfect then it could be a clue. Stop looking for it and look at it. It's guaranteed to be simpler than you guys are making it. Try to prove yourself wrong, not right. If you do it the other way it's just a whole bunch of confirmation bias.

But then how do we get digging permits?

We gotta prove to a panel of people that something is buried somewhere before we can go digging for anything, and that means we gotta have enough CLUES to convince the PANEL that something IS buried somewhere. They only give out digging permits when you prove where something IS buried, not when you prove where something ISN'T buried.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

But then how do we get digging permits?

We gotta prove to a panel of people that something is buried somewhere before we can go digging for anything, and that means we gotta have enough CLUES to convince the PANEL that something IS buried somewhere. They only give out digging permits when you prove where something IS buried, not when you prove where something ISN'T buried.

Proving yourself wrong is how you get rid of all the "this kinda sorta reminds me of this other thing if you hold your breath and squint" stuff before you show the real CLUES to the PANEL.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

The Human Cow posted:

I went ahead and cut out the highlights under the eyes and the "hairline" to make it easier to put over other images:

If they or the fairy's wing shapes are supposed to be something, they're probably something natural, just because of how flowing and irregular in shape they are.

Although I have to admit that fountain on the Hunley monument is pretty good!

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
Did someone say digging permits?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ummm, allta, I have a quick question.

allta posted:

credit to the wiki

How come Salt Lake City, UT is the only city on this map that you didn't mention as being a possible cask location? :confused:

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
Not allta, but this question was asked before. The answer was: the map is lagging behind and reflects an old theory that SLC is a location.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

homullus posted:

Proving yourself wrong is how you get rid of all the "this kinda sorta reminds me of this other thing if you hold your breath and squint" stuff before you show the real CLUES to the PANEL.

I do think we're overthinking it. I will say that it seems obvious it's Hermann park. It also seems pretty obvious that 982 refers to the train. I've been trying to unthink a lot of it, just because the train tracks don't match up today with where they were then. That was an erroneous assumption that has not proven to be true and I resisted acknowledging that because it was one of the first things I'd found.

I do think the puzzles are simpler than they appear -- the author really didn't think he'd made them hard. It's kind of like one of those old LucasArts games that has a puzzle that's really easy in retrospect, but is hard to make the right inductive leaps of logic to figure it out. I mean, c'mon "to the left of L"? He couldn't think of any other way to describe Lincoln?

But he seems to have a penchant for including maps, so I think it's safe to say that the oddly shaped stone in the back is the layout of Hermann Park. The thing that gets me is that the two casks that were found had very specific directions about where to dig -- look here, count this far, etc. Where is that for Houston?

I'm looking again at this stanza:

quote:

In the center of four alike
Small, split,
Three winged and slight
The statue of Sam Houston used to be in the middle of a circle with four trees around it. It also happened to have three roads coming off of it back in 1978. But there's also a triple fountain just beyond the statue.

Some also think this small fountain in front of the Houston Garden Center resembles the smoke of the Djinn. I can't say there isn't some resemblance. It was there in 1980.

A google search for "december and Hermann Park" turns up this statue, coincidentally next to the Houston Garden Center.

There are a lot of statues in that area, many dating before 1980. There are at least four that are all busts and very similar in style.

einTier fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 7, 2013

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps

Ummm, allta, I have a quick question.

How come Salt Lake City, UT is the only city on this map that you didn't mention as being a possible cask location? :confused:

The one associated with Boston was associated with Salt Lake City because this shape looks like Utah.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phony Username
Oct 26, 2006
Not funny.
MONTREAL!!

I discovered this thread last night and I was very excited at first when I saw there is supposed to be one buried in Montréal. However I felt a little bit discouraged when the OP said it was one of the hardest of the puzzle.... Anyways, I read this thread until 3:00 AM last night (oh god I'm so tired right now!) and spent a lot of time in the last 24 hours thinking about this (the cask 9 image and the verse 2). I've made a lot of possible connections and even started my own theory. I'm planning a very long post with lot of pictures later on when I'll have more time. However, all I'll say right now is that I'm really tempted to think the treasure might be buried near the Olympic Stadium, more precisely in the so called "Esplanade", located at the corner of Pie-IX and Sherbrooke. If I'm motivated enough, I'll be planning a field trip over there this week-end to investigate on my theory. As the Olympic Park is a mere 15 minutes walk from where I live, it shouldn't be too hard for me.

I wasn't planning to post in this thread until I've read it all. I'm now at page 25, but I HAD to comment on this post below :

MassaShowtime posted:

Here's an album with some help for the montreal pics:

http://imgur.com/a/4o2yk

and here are my thoughts on it.

The "music note" on the flower seems to be 67, so referencing the expo.
Very very good catch here! It's CLEARLY a reference to Expo 67. Even the FONT of the numbers match (just GIS Expo 67)! I spent some time wondering what the hell this thing in the flower might be. Now, after what you've said, I cannot unsee the 67! Also, don't forget that 67 can also be 76, which is the year of the Olympics!

MassaShowtime posted:

The P1X thing could be a flag of some sort not a P, like a golf flag, racing flag something like that. Perhaps where two roads meet? A major and minor road. Could be something with the namesakes?

I realised earlier today that the blocky black figure just under the dog-legged statue thing might be a reference to Habitat 67:

More should come later!

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Phony Username posted:

MONTREAL!!

I discovered this thread last night and I was very excited at first when I saw there is supposed to be one buried in Montréal. However I felt a little bit discouraged when the OP said it was one of the hardest of the puzzle.... Anyways, I read this thread until 3:00 AM last night (oh god I'm so tired right now!) and spent a lot of time in the last 24 hours thinking about this (the cask 9 image and the verse 2). I've made a lot of possible connections and even started my own theory. I'm planning a very long post with lot of pictures later on when I'll have more time. However, all I'll say right now is that I'm really tempted to think the treasure might be buried near the Olympic Stadium, more precisely in the so called "Esplanade", located at the corner of Pie-IX and Sherbrooke. If I'm motivated enough, I'll be planning a field trip over there this week-end to investigate on my theory. As the Olympic Park is a mere 15 minutes walk from where I live, it shouldn't be too hard for me.

I wasn't planning to post in this thread until I've read it all. I'm now at page 25, but I HAD to comment on this post below :

Very very good catch here! It's CLEARLY a reference to Expo 67. Even the FONT of the numbers match (just GIS Expo 67)! I spent some time wondering what the hell this thing in the flower might be. Now, after what you've said, I cannot unsee the 67! Also, don't forget that 67 can also be 76, which is the year of the Olympics!

I realised earlier today that the blocky black figure just under the dog-legged statue thing might be a reference to Habitat 67:

More should come later!

yeah thanks for confirming what I posted like 3 pages ago :) but the verse is hard to crack

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Phony Username posted:

Very very good catch here! It's CLEARLY a reference to Expo 67. Even the FONT of the numbers match (just GIS Expo 67)!

No it doesn't :confused:

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011

Phony Username posted:

MONTREAL!!

More should come later!

I'm interested to see if you have anything new that hasn't already been hashed out several times over the course of this thread. Have you read the entire thread because on Page 28 (I believe) has the most extensive list of the clues on cask 9. Of course BJG has been compiling this list for the last few years, and his comments throughout the thread on Montreal pretty much correspond with whatever was "refound".

The PiX, we saw as runes, which ended up with the letters of W, T, as in "world of tomorrow", which deals with the 67 expo.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

PunkNickel posted:

The PiX, we saw as runes, which ended up with the letters of W, T, as in "world of tomorrow", which deals with the 67 expo.

That was my first thought upon seeing those characters too. Germanic runes.

Although they do look like they could be numbers too. An upside-down '6', a '7', and an 'X' sitting between them (maybe a Roman numeral for 10? So it means "(6 * 10) + 7 = 67"?).

Or maybe the 'X' is supposed to be the "Gebo" runic symbol, I dunno. v:shobon:v

EDIT: I should probably just go ahead and leave for my trip home now. I won't have my laptop, but I'll have my iPhone with me, so maybe I can check back in here sometime tomorrow on that.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 7, 2013

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

einTier posted:

Some also think this small fountain in front of the Houston Garden Center resembles the smoke of the Djinn. I can't say there isn't some resemblance. It was there in 1980.

:stare:

Were the COLUMNS BEHIND IT also there in 1980? Because that would sure as poo poo jive with the 4 topless (heheh I said "topless" :laugh:) columns in the background of the painting.

Guuse
May 11, 2009

stab posted:

yeah thanks for confirming what I posted like 3 pages ago :) but the verse is hard to crack

Well, let's take a stab at it with a different verse, then!

Montreal
(verse 7 variant)

The George Stephens House is in a part of Montreal called the the Golden Square Mile. When I read that while browsing around, I took it to mean that while the “legeater” is significant, the fact that it’s breaking out of the “Golden Square” in the picture means that we probably shouldn’t actually be looking for the cask in the Golden Square Mile. Instead, I looked at it in correlation to the other object in that part of the picture: the weird geometric building that some folks are suggesting might be Habitat 67. If you interpret it as “go from the legeater towards Habitat 67” then there are some interesting things that you can discover if you pair it with Verse 7.

Habitat 67 seems to be almost directly due east from the George Stephens House. The street grids in Montreal are tilted well away from the cardinal directions, so a direct line between the GSH and Habitat 67 necessarily cuts through quite a few buildings.

Just a bit to the east of the GSH the line runs through Dorchester Park/Canada Place and the Cathédrale Marie-Reine-du-Monde.

At stone wall's door
The air smells sweet

In fact, the line looks like it could run smack into the sole door on the side of the cathedral facing the parks. “The air smells sweet” bit could refer to the incense used in ceremonies.

Not far away
High posts are three
Education and Justice
For all to see

This could refer to the Macdonald Monument located right outside of the cathedral door in Canada Place. John Macdonald actually held a number of government posts during his career, but “high posts are three” could be taken to refer to his positions as Prime Minister, Premier and Attorney General specifically I suppose. “Justice” would make sense but I’m honestly not sure where “Education” would relate. Also, if you use a little imagination some of the period photos and drawings of him resemble the figure in the riddle-picture from the book.

Sounds from the sky
Near ace is high

No idea. I initially thought of airplanes, but the airport doesn’t seem to be near. I also looked around for a monument to ace pilots or something but didn’t find anything. I guess there are casinos in Montreal now, but from what I read those are newer than when the book was written.

Running north, but first across
In jewel's direction

Welp, back on track. I read this as saying we’ll want to go north, but not before continuing our eastward path. The question is where? Montreal’s street grids don’t line up with north-south, but if we keep tracing east to the river we run into De La Commune St W that does actually go due north. So lets go that way!

Is an object
Of Twain's attention
Giant pole
Giant step

One of Montreal’s other monuments is the Pioneers' Obelisk, a 40 foot tall granite pole. Unfortunately, it isn’t located where it was in the 1980s and I can’t figure out exactly where it would have been. The Wikipedia article suggests that between 1940 and 1999 it was at the Old Custom House. Just cruising around on Google Street View leads me to think that the likely place for it would have been outside the Custom House along De La Commune St W where a north-bound traveller would have run into it. I’ve been looking around for something from the time that might nail its location down, but I haven’t had any luck. Maybe one of the people here from Montreal knows?

The “object of Twain’s attention” could be Notre-Dame Basilica. When I Googled “mark twain montreal” a number of the entries referred to his quote, "This is the first time I was ever in a city where you couldn't throw a brick without breaking a church window." If you were on the street in the 80s looking toward the Custom House and (presumably) the Pioneer’s Obelisk then the spires of Notre-Dame Basilica are poking up in your view as well.

In between the Custom House and De La Commune St W is what could be described as a “giant step” I guess, but it kind of looks like unfinished construction in Google Street View. I’m not seeing anything that looks like a likely place to dig up the cask in front of the Custom House itself, but maybe in the park across the street? Or maybe “giant step” means across the water on one of the islands where Expo 67 was? I guess that would fit with what other people are thinking about Montreal.

Miscellaneous stuff that I’ve noted:
An aerial view of Habitat 67 looks alot like the geometric squares around the guy’s collar.

The left bit of the outer collar looks significant. It isn’t symmetrical with the right part of the collar and it looks like the upside-down half of a dome? Someone else in the thread already suggested that it’s similar to the Cathedrale Marie Reine du Monde.

The outline of the inner collar probably matches something, too, but I had no luck trying to match it with any features.

I don’t think I saw anyone mention it, but the easiest 67 to find is probably in the lapel. Flip the ‘P’ on the left upside down and straighten out the ‘7’ on the right. I probably just missed someone already bringing it up, though.

There's a "texture" in the background of the picture off to the right beyond his shoulder and below his ear that looks interesting. Kind of like a butterfly?

fanpantstic
Jul 30, 2010

inner breathlessness
outer restlessness

Guuse posted:

The outline of the inner collar probably matches something, too, but I had no luck trying to match it with any features.

fanpantstic posted:

Cask 9

And look how similar that collar shape is to the river here. And notice that line along the opposite bank which is very similar to the line around the collar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011

Guuse posted:

Well, let's take a stab at it with a different verse, then!

Montreal
(verse 7 variant)

The George Stephens House is in a part of Montreal called the the Golden Square Mile. When I read that while browsing around, I took it to mean that while the “legeater” is significant, the fact that it’s breaking out of the “Golden Square” in the picture means that we probably shouldn’t actually be looking for the cask in the Golden Square Mile. Instead, I looked at it in correlation to the other object in that part of the picture: the weird geometric building that some folks are suggesting might be Habitat 67. If you interpret it as “go from the legeater towards Habitat 67” then there are some interesting things that you can discover if you pair it with Verse 7.

Habitat 67 seems to be almost directly due east from the George Stephens House. The street grids in Montreal are tilted well away from the cardinal directions, so a direct line between the GSH and Habitat 67 necessarily cuts through quite a few buildings.

Just a bit to the east of the GSH the line runs through Dorchester Park/Canada Place and the Cathédrale Marie-Reine-du-Monde.

At stone wall's door
The air smells sweet

In fact, the line looks like it could run smack into the sole door on the side of the cathedral facing the parks. “The air smells sweet” bit could refer to the incense used in ceremonies.

Not far away
High posts are three
Education and Justice
For all to see

This could refer to the Macdonald Monument located right outside of the cathedral door in Canada Place. John Macdonald actually held a number of government posts during his career, but “high posts are three” could be taken to refer to his positions as Prime Minister, Premier and Attorney General specifically I suppose. “Justice” would make sense but I’m honestly not sure where “Education” would relate. Also, if you use a little imagination some of the period photos and drawings of him resemble the figure in the riddle-picture from the book.

Sounds from the sky
Near ace is high

No idea. I initially thought of airplanes, but the airport doesn’t seem to be near. I also looked around for a monument to ace pilots or something but didn’t find anything. I guess there are casinos in Montreal now, but from what I read those are newer than when the book was written.

Running north, but first across
In jewel's direction

Welp, back on track. I read this as saying we’ll want to go north, but not before continuing our eastward path. The question is where? Montreal’s street grids don’t line up with north-south, but if we keep tracing east to the river we run into De La Commune St W that does actually go due north. So lets go that way!

Is an object
Of Twain's attention
Giant pole
Giant step

One of Montreal’s other monuments is the Pioneers' Obelisk, a 40 foot tall granite pole. Unfortunately, it isn’t located where it was in the 1980s and I can’t figure out exactly where it would have been. The Wikipedia article suggests that between 1940 and 1999 it was at the Old Custom House. Just cruising around on Google Street View leads me to think that the likely place for it would have been outside the Custom House along De La Commune St W where a north-bound traveller would have run into it. I’ve been looking around for something from the time that might nail its location down, but I haven’t had any luck. Maybe one of the people here from Montreal knows?

The “object of Twain’s attention” could be Notre-Dame Basilica. When I Googled “mark twain montreal” a number of the entries referred to his quote, "This is the first time I was ever in a city where you couldn't throw a brick without breaking a church window." If you were on the street in the 80s looking toward the Custom House and (presumably) the Pioneer’s Obelisk then the spires of Notre-Dame Basilica are poking up in your view as well.

In between the Custom House and De La Commune St W is what could be described as a “giant step” I guess, but it kind of looks like unfinished construction in Google Street View. I’m not seeing anything that looks like a likely place to dig up the cask in front of the Custom House itself, but maybe in the park across the street? Or maybe “giant step” means across the water on one of the islands where Expo 67 was? I guess that would fit with what other people are thinking about Montreal.

Miscellaneous stuff that I’ve noted:
An aerial view of Habitat 67 looks alot like the geometric squares around the guy’s collar.

The left bit of the outer collar looks significant. It isn’t symmetrical with the right part of the collar and it looks like the upside-down half of a dome? Someone else in the thread already suggested that it’s similar to the Cathedrale Marie Reine du Monde.

I don’t think I saw anyone mention it, but the easiest 67 to find is probably in the lapel. Flip the ‘P’ on the left upside down and straighten out the ‘7’ on the right. I probably just missed someone already bringing it up, though.

There's a "texture" in the background of the picture off to the right beyond his shoulder and below his ear that looks interesting. Kind of like a butterfly?

It was suggested earlier that the P/7 looked like runes. I did some research and yes, there are runes that are exactly like both of these. The "P" is w/v and the "upside down flipped 7" is "t". My post on this is on page 28/29. Another goon pointed out that may stand for "world of tomorrow" which was the name of the '67 expo.