Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that

kill me now posted:

Cut off the bottom of the rear suspension adjustment bolts rubber bushing to even out the ride height front to rear on my car
Isn't messing with the rake like that going to give you handling problems? I thought the rake is there for handling/aero reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

dangerz posted:

Isn't messing with the rake like that going to give you handling problems? I thought the rake is there for handling/aero reasons.

There is still a bit of rake in the body and the front should still be settling. Besides i've probably already ruined the aero balance by putting the rear spoiler on the car without the front splitter and side skirts. Those are in the plans down the road for sure but there are other things to come before it.

With regards to handling, the car has been aligned at the lower ride height and I've a number of posts from Aaron Pfadt saying that lowering on the stock bolts really wont negatively impact the mechanical handling of the car unless you go way beyond that point. Even then its more of a shock stroke issue and not a suspension geometry one. I only cut the first rib off the rears and honestly I know the look is somewhat dramatic but its not a huge change in overall height.

Evening out things also aleviated some of the excessive scraping that I was getting with the front end so much lower than the rear. The nose down attitude definitely had the front splitter and air dam

For reference this is what it looked like when I picked the car up from the dealer in December.

The wheel gap is pretty even there

I'll let you know if the front end starts floating or anything next time I have it up in the 130-140's.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that

kill me now posted:

Besides i've probably already ruined the aero balance by putting the rear spoiler on the car without the front splitter and side skirts.
It's not really about aero balance. It's about stability. The wrong rake allows air to build up below the car and causes lots of float.

kill me now posted:

With regards to handling, the car has been aligned at the lower ride height and I've a number of posts from Aaron Pfadt saying that lowering on the stock bolts really wont negatively impact the mechanical handling of the car unless you go way beyond that point. Even then its more of a shock stroke issue and not a suspension geometry one. I only cut the first rib off the rears and honestly I know the look is somewhat dramatic but its not a huge change in overall height.
Well yeah, the cars are ok to be lowered. That's why the bolts are accessible. You're supposed to maintain the rake though. It's one thing to add a spoiler. That messes with the cD, but it doesn't change your handling too much (at least not the ZR1 spoilers). Having the wrong rake will change your handling. It will cause float when you're in the triple digits (search the CorvetteForums, you'll find plenty of info on this).

kill me now posted:

The wheel gap is pretty even there
The wheel gap is just for looks. Panels don't always line up. You're supposed to measure at the lift points in your rockers for ride height/rake.

kill me now posted:

Evening out things also aleviated some of the excessive scraping that I was getting with the front end so much lower than the rear
The front air dam is designed and built to be able to scraped. I also scrape with my z06. That's normal and ok.

Anyway, it's your car. Still looks awesome. Just offering some tips.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

dangerz posted:

It's not really about aero balance. It's about stability. The wrong rake allows air to build up below the car and causes lots of float.

Well yeah, the cars are ok to be lowered. That's why the bolts are accessible. You're supposed to maintain the rake though. It's one thing to add a spoiler. That messes with the cD, but it doesn't change your handling too much (at least not the ZR1 spoilers). Having the wrong rake will change your handling. It will cause float when you're in the triple digits (search the CorvetteForums, you'll find plenty of info on this).

The wheel gap is just for looks. Panels don't always line up. You're supposed to measure at the lift points in your rockers for ride height/rake.

The front air dam is designed and built to be able to scraped. I also scrape with my z06. That's normal and ok.

Anyway, it's your car. Still looks awesome. Just offering some tips.

I know all about the lift potential if air packs up under the car. Like I said the car still has some rake in it as mesaured at the lift points. Also if you look at where the rake posts are for 95% of the topics on CF they're in the C5 section.

I know the body panels dont necessarily indicate the correct orientation, but if they were basically even (on this car) from the factory with the factory rake and are now even lowered. It should stand to reason that the rake hasnt changed significantly.

I know the air dam can and should scrape, but where it was it was scraping over every undulation in the road. Its still practically on the ground. I was also actually scraping the splitter which is not ideal, especially if I plan on going with a zr1 style splitter in the future.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

gently caress you car - I was really looking forward to going out to dinner with a bunch of friends

(that's with the engine on in Park, something very funky is going on with the electrical system)

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I'm working on putting in the speakers, amp, and a sub in the crown vic but sitting in a car when it's 110 out is pretty terrible. Got the 0guage wire ran and the adapters for the rear speakers cut out and mounted. After lunch it's going to be time to do the front components, speaker wires, and rca's.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Holdbrooks posted:

I'm working on putting in the speakers, amp, and a sub in the crown vic but sitting in a car when it's 110 out is pretty terrible. Got the 0guage wire ran and the adapters for the rear speakers cut out and mounted. After lunch it's going to be time to do the front components, speaker wires, and rca's.

0 gauge? What are you putting in there? Like 8 15" subs or something?

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Devyl posted:

I amp everything, but for now just the front comps and rear coaxials and two 8" subs in the center console. I have a brahma 15" and eight 12" in the garage that will probably fit back there lol. I do want to add another battery back there also.

The bigest reason it that is like a 17ft run of wire so it needs to be pretty beefy. I have 2000w rms in the fiat but 1 gauge was fine since it is only like 6ft of wire to under the seats.

Edit: I give up for today. Too hot. I will finish it up the next few mornings after work.

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 7, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Devyl posted:

Futureproofing! :science:

Holdbrooks posted:

When I did the Altima's stereo, I wound up leaving the car idling with the a/c blasting. Yeah, wasted about a gallon of gas, but I kept an eye on the temp gauge and tried to do as much as possible with the doors closed or almost closed. It's surprising how much room you get to work with when you yank the front seats out and remove the plastic trim from the B pillars and sills first :v:

When/if I get around to doing a stereo in the Ion, well, the battery is in the trunk. Didn't like the idea of it being back there until I realized wiring up an amp would be far easier. Then also discovered that the battery lasts much longer when it's away from the heat of the engine - my (original) battery is officially 8 years old this week! :toot: It's on the weak side, but I bet I can get through the rest of this year with it.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 8, 2013

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

some texas redneck posted:

my (original) battery is officially 8 years old this week! :toot: It's on the weak side, but I bet I can get through the rest of this year with it.

What does everyone else do on batteries, let it die and replace, or replace when it hits an certain age? My wife's battery was 6, and I said 'oh it's gonna die soon', then it did like 2 months later. Now I wish I just gave it up, because I lost like 3 hours of sleep and over the course of my life I won't lose more than $100 on changing batteries too soon.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

New rear pads and rotors for the F250, as well as adjustment of the parking brake engagement. I would have done the pads and rotors myself except that I need the truck this weekend to move crap.

And on the way home I noticed there is also a vacuum leak in the vent control that I need to track down, just in time for summer. Joy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

StormDrain posted:

What does everyone else do on batteries, let it die and replace, or replace when it hits an certain age? My wife's battery was 6, and I said 'oh it's gonna die soon', then it did like 2 months later. Now I wish I just gave it up, because I lost like 3 hours of sleep and over the course of my life I won't lose more than $100 on changing batteries too soon.

Just buy the cheap trickle charger so you can keep it charged enough to get you to wherever it is you're going to buy the new battery. I wish I'd done that. Yesterday I ran across town to Interstate to get one of their economy batteries for my beater. $35 for a battery with a 90 day warranty is a steal.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The Allante is running again after a 5 week vacation in the carport.

8 new injectors, spark plugs, wires, a new fuel filter and it's running great.

Now for a new set of tires - the current set date to 2004. I'm pretty sure they're flatspotted, out of round, dry rotted and/or separating belts based upon the vibrations I'm getting on the highway.

I can get a set of closeout Bridgestone G019 Grid for $420 installed or a set of Continental DW for $550 installed.

Any opinions? I would prefer the Continental, but the Bridgestone are a steal at that price.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Rhyno posted:

Just buy the cheap trickle charger so you can keep it charged enough to get you to wherever it is you're going to buy the new battery. I wish I'd done that. Yesterday I ran across town to Interstate to get one of their economy batteries for my beater. $35 for a battery with a 90 day warranty is a steal.

That doesn't help when it dies downtown at like 11:30pm on a Wednesday.

Oh also I changed an EGR valve on the Saturn as apparently I'm due for a emissions test and I can't ignore the light any longer.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Rollin four heavy back to Stl with back end and skybox stuffed. Getting 25mpg @ 80mph on cruise.

Taken somewhere just south of Macon. About to enter moron zone. Although its fair to say Florida is scarcely better.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
The Blazer has had a shake at low revs, so I installed a new MSD cap and rotor the other day. It's HEI and I just used the old coil, but it still looks purdy. Finished that up yesterday and went to crank it, and got a terrible grinding after a couple seconds. Pulled the starter and the nose cone had snapped off. Replaced that and the old beast fired up on the first crank after like a tenth of a second, it was amazing. It still has a tiny shake at low revs, I don't know what's going on, but it does seem to sound better. I bumped the curb idle a tiny bit as a temporary fix. It doesn't have a tach, but I'm seriously considering adding one, if nothing else for carb adjustments and such.

I think tomorrow I'm going to go get vacuum hose in all the sizes I need, and some plugs and tees and such, and redo all of the lines. They are sad, sad, sad.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

PlastiDipped two of my winter wheels lime green. I should have waited because of the wind but I was bored. As a result they have a bit of overspray and a weird texture in some parts. Lesson learned for the next two wheels.

doogle
May 24, 2003

I have an '88 honda civic hatch with a sleeved/forged 2 liter LS/Vtec swap and a 60mm turbo. I took it to a shop to get tuned, they had to "fix some wiring" and ended up burning out the entire wiring harness, headlights to taillights. That was about three months ago, now I'm in the process of converting the whole car to obd2a using the wiring harness from a '97 civic. I'm doing this instead of another obd0 harness because I have a '97 hatch parts car available so it is essentially free.

Today I soldered most of the stuff I needed off of the '88 harness (plugs, ignition poo poo) onto the '97 harness. Surprisingly, most of the stuff from '88 is the same. I also pulled the engine harness out and found out I will need to buy an obd2 distributor. Then I broke the heater core pulling some wiring out.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Absolutely nothing. I'm sick. Huge pain. I need to find out why the Fairlane is running so erratically. I also realised that I don't think the radiator hoses for the Niva that I ordered come with hose clamps. Guess that's more I have to sort out. I can't reuse the pre-existing ones. They are weird OE ones that look like single use jobbies tightened with a lever or key. The couple of worm hose clamps that were used at some point on the radiator are totally poo poo. The worm gear backs out of one of them.
Weird car with its inline thermostat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gave the 929 a really good interior cleaning, it looks so much better but I still see room for improvement. Gonna grab some magic erasers and see if that works. Somebody spilled a giant coke or coffee int he car at some point so there's some stains to clean up. Also gave the gauges a go with goo gone, looks a little better. We'll see what they look like tomorrow. Also RainXed all the glass and hit the tires with tire-shine. Gonna pull the drivers door panel tomorrow and see if I can fix the wobbly window.

Progress!

iamthehans
May 1, 2012
Started to reassemble my 62 impala interior. lovely cell phone pic

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

What I did this weekend:

1. Enabled video in motion. Not sure if/when I'll ever use this, but hey, cool. (Photo obviously not taken while in motion.)

2. My wife left yesterday for a quick trip with her parents. I was bored, it was rainy, and I've been wanting to do this for a while, so I pulled my front bumper to plastidip my grille and get rid of the gray:

Before:

During (the second coat had just gone on):

After four coats, I started peeling off some of the pdip:

I debated leaving it like this with a black surround:

But ended up peeling the surround as well:

Also put on my lower intercooler guard, which I failed to photograph.

Back in the bumper:

And back on the car:

And since I was messing around in the garage, I mounted the 20" A8 W12 wheels that I bought a few months ago with the intention of putting them on my previous car. I'm not sure how long I'll keep them on, but I like it for now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rhyno posted:

Gave the 929 a really good interior cleaning, it looks so much better but I still see room for improvement. Gonna grab some magic erasers and see if that works. Somebody spilled a giant coke or coffee int he car at some point so there's some stains to clean up. Also gave the gauges a go with goo gone, looks a little better. We'll see what they look like tomorrow. Also RainXed all the glass and hit the tires with tire-shine. Gonna pull the drivers door panel tomorrow and see if I can fix the wobbly window.

A couple of hours with a rented Rug Doctor with the upholstery attachment will make the seats look nearly new.

StormDrain posted:

I've always waited until it was obvious they were having difficulty holding a charge. But I also have AAA and carry jumper cables, so..

I've never had one last over 4 years before this one though, I kinda want to see how much longer it'll last.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Painted and installed some interior trim and Ohshit handles secured from the junkyard in the Cherokee - just need the headliner now. Installed the leather Grand Cherokee steering wheel as well, after modifying it for the mechanical airbag in the classic model (a bracket that supports the airbag, and has an integrated arming bolt for the bag. Remove from old wheel by drilling four rivets, secure to new wheel by drilling four holes and riveting.) Finally put the liftgate trim panel back on and installed my 6x9s back there. Fitted the overhead console brackets to the, er, overhead. Need to clean up the console, and reupholster it. Probably wait until I have the headliner to do that last part, to make it match. Installed underdash footwell courtesy lights.
Basically, I installed the rest of the stuff I got from better models at the salvage yard. I love upgrading my cars to a better spec.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

some texas redneck posted:

A couple of hours with a rented Rug Doctor with the upholstery attachment will make the seats look nearly new.

Leather seats!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Replaced the old leaking water pump with a new one in my truck. Went pretty quick once a couple of friends showed up and were bribed with beer into helping. New hotness on the bottom, old n' busted on top.

EDIT: I know this seems like something silly to be proud of, but its something I considered to be something I would have always taken to a mechanic due to the nature of the repair and it being a fairly vital thing, so to get it done well in a decent amount of time makes me extremely happy, even if I did have a couple buddies helping to make it go smoother and faster.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 10, 2013

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

DropShadow posted:

What I did this weekend:

1. Enabled video in motion. Not sure if/when I'll ever use this, but hey, cool. (Photo obviously not taken while in motion.)

2. My wife left yesterday for a quick trip with her parents. I was bored, it was rainy, and I've been wanting to do this for a while, so I pulled my front bumper to plastidip my grille and get rid of the gray:

Before:

During (the second coat had just gone on):

After four coats, I started peeling off some of the pdip:

I debated leaving it like this with a black surround:

But ended up peeling the surround as well:

Also put on my lower intercooler guard, which I failed to photograph.

Back in the bumper:

And back on the car:

And since I was messing around in the garage, I mounted the 20" A8 W12 wheels that I bought a few months ago with the intention of putting them on my previous car. I'm not sure how long I'll keep them on, but I like it for now.

Nice work on the 'dip', looks great. Subtle things like that are IMO exactly what plastidip is the best at.

Your car is really stupid good. As a BMW owner/lover I can't help to fistpump this car.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I spent about 90 minutes with the wife yesterday peeling the scuffed/fading 3M Clear Bra off her TSX's hood. There's still the one fender, both mirrors and the front bumper to do, but I tackled the biggest piece first. Did it without a heat gun so it could have gone faster and resulted in less blisters, but we got a good result after the Goo Gone.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Did the TT/STR mod.

Didn't pop the license plate bulb in because its pouring out.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Did the TT/STR mod.

Didn't pop the license plate bulb in because its pouring out.

And me. I did it a year or two to the VW. Even added a PWM controller and different wiring for gauge backlights. Worked really well. Considered doing it to the Fairlane because of its 50,000 interior lights that drain the battery in 0.1ms but I couldn't give a poo poo.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Finally got the midpipe installed. God, the old one has to weigh 3x what the new one does. Also updated the tune to the Cobb Stage 2.

Should be at ~540whp now. Drivability is amazing as it makes 16psi from 2500+rpm now, vs taking to 5500rpm before. It sounds fantastic as I can finally hear the turbos spool thanks to the intake and the exhaust sounds much more throaty due to the midpipe. Probably done modding it for awhile as it's now scary, unreal fast.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Comrade Flynn posted:

Finally got the midpipe installed. God, the old one has to weigh 3x what the new one does. Also updated the tune to the Cobb Stage 2.

Should be at ~540whp now. Drivability is amazing as it makes 16psi from 2500+rpm now, vs taking to 5500rpm before. It sounds fantastic as I can finally hear the turbos spool thanks to the intake and the exhaust sounds much more throaty due to the midpipe. Probably done modding it for awhile as it's now scary, unreal fast.

I demand a video. :colbert:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
What do you do when you have a day off? Tune up your British car!

These plugs look good on the ends I think. If my phone stopped being bitchy, I will upload a close up shot (all the plugs are really uniform in color)

This was the old intake tube from the MAF to the plenum. I was having troubles at times with hot starts. I swapped in a good intake tube from CursedShitBox (thanks again!) and it seemed to cure it to a point. But its giving me small fits still. I am missing the heat shield on the exhaust, so I am wondering if that will help out.

Edit:

Close up!

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 12, 2013

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Jacked up the passenger side wheel because I suspected it was giving my pickup the shakes. When I replaced the bearings I didn't recall checking it real well to be sure it was tight, so I figured it was loose. I jacked it up a touch, and it had a lot of lateral movement, no vertical movement.

After I took it apart and put it all back together, It occurred to me that the nature of the movement could have been the spindle itself being loose. However, I observed motion in the tie rod end, so it looks like those get replaced sometime eventually soon.

I always joke that I'll eventually get to do every automotive job on this truck, and it never seems to disappoint.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

GramCracker posted:

I demand a video. :colbert:

Yeah. I did a run from 0-80 today with the AccessPort "timing" the 0-60. It said like 2.62 so it may be off, but after it I realized I really should have recorded it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sweet merciful gently caress, get some videos!

And if you ever find yourself in PA I've got a case of beer with your name on it for a ride.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

opengl128 posted:

Sweet merciful gently caress, get some videos!

And if you ever find yourself in PA I've got a case of beer with your name on it for a ride.

How many PA goons do we have in AI? Every time I think it's just me and Dreesemonkey someone else pops up. Where in PA?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I think Motronic is in your area....

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Imperador do Brasil posted:

How many PA goons do we have in AI? Every time I think it's just me and Dreesemonkey someone else pops up. Where in PA?

In and around Philly usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Took a quick video on the way to work this morning. Moderate acceleration in full auto mode. Not sure why it was only shifting at 4500, will try to take a better one to redline tonight but the camera kept smacking me in the face in race mode.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201184190954161&l=4673630212168658951