Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
What the hell does that guy actually do? Looks like he wouldn't be much good in a firefight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

The rebels have seized a crucial city connecting Damascus to Southern Syria, but it's a crucial location for someone else as well.

Welp. That lasted long. Government forces brought in tanks and artillery to retake the city, and the rebels retreated closer to the Israeli border. Two UN peacekeepers on the border were wounded. The tanks and artillery were brought into the demilitarized zone in Golan Heights, and Israel filed a complaint to the UN over it. Israel saying this is the closest the fighting has gotten to them.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

gunblade posted:

This article from Norwegian newspaper Verdens Gang (VG) tells of a 32 year old Norwegian-Algerian who was killed while fighting for the rebels.

The story is of a course tragic one, but one sentence in particular grabbed my attention. It didn't quite make it through Google translate though, so I've attempted to translate it myself:

Any thoughts on the plaucibility of this claim? If the Norwegian-Algerian man actually encountered Russians fighting for the regime, might they actually be Russian military, or just mercenaries?

I'm going to guess that VG (the paper) didn't care if it was true or not that they were real russian forces because someone fighting Spetznaz is going to sell papers. Another weird thing is that he was supposed to have been the commander of a Scandinavian battalion. While there certainly are Scandinavians fighting for the rebels, it seems highly unlikely that there would be more than a couple dozen actively participating in the fighting.

edit: spelling

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Fader Movitz posted:

I'm going to guess that VG (the paper) didn't care if it was true or not that they were real russian forces because someone fighting Spetznaz is going to sell papers. Another weird thing is that he was supposed to have been the commander of a Scandinavian battalion. While there certainly are Scandinavians fighting for the rebels, it seems highly unlikely that there would be more than a couple dozen actively participating in the fighting.

Rebel 'battalions' seem to range from 2 guys and a dog to several thousand fighters.

gunblade
Sep 1, 2008

-Just lucky, I guess
Yeah, as the article said, the guy didn't have any prior military experience. So he probably used the word the way it is used in Syria, not in NATO.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

New Division posted:

Shias have gone to Syria to fight for the regime, but I haven't heard of anything like a war tourist going there to get their kicks by fighting the rebels.

Here in the Netherlands there were quite a few cases of teenagers 'joining the Jihad' to fight against Assad. Enough that the government considered banning them from travel for a while.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Fader Movitz posted:

They wouldn't even know it's Spetznaz. It's not like they'd be wearing zippy Russian uniforms there if they are there, and it's not like they wear unit identifiers to start with. There are certainly Russian people there, and techs for the gear they sold them. But that sounds like bullshit. And if those clowns did actually execute Spetznaz things would get a lot worse fast, and that's not the type of unit that people with no experience can just take the gently caress on.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SilentD posted:

They wouldn't even know it's Spetznaz. It's not like they'd be wearing zippy Russian uniforms there if they are there, and it's not like they wear unit identifiers to start with. There are certainly Russian people there, and techs for the gear they sold them. But that sounds like bullshit. And if those clowns did actually execute Spetznaz things would get a lot worse fast, and that's not the type of unit that people with no experience can just take the gently caress on.

Well, he IS dead now so... Though more likely he or someone else heard them speak with some slavic accent, and they thought "Russians!!" when it was actually random mercenaries.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Zudgemud posted:

Well, he IS dead now so... Though more likely he or someone else heard them speak with some slavic accent, and they thought "Russians!!" when it was actually random mercenaries.

Considering the clusterfuck of different groups operating in syria that is probably more plausible.

Could be that they found some chechens jihadists and executed them out of suspicion towards russians or foreigners. Though that is probably a bit far fetched.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A video was leaked a few days ago of a government recruitment drive in Aleppo, which I've had fully translated here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAt7L9Lzl2c

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SilentD posted:

I've met some of those guys, and unit tattoos are really common. If some were found, you'd be able to guess they were in the Russian military. Of course, ex-Russian military are no strangers to mercenary work. And yes it is. No unit is even close to invincible when the other guys have guns and they're shooting bullets.

Edit: In fact, spetsnaz were the ones who tried to retake the hospital in Buddyonnovsk from the Chechens and were completely ineffectual.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 7, 2013

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
The humanitarian side of the conflict is all kinds of hosed. Guterres's an extremely competent man, I hope he can do well in handling the safety of the refugees :ohdear:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
https://flashpoint-intel.com/upload/syria_martyrs/2013-06-02_Convoy_of_Martyrs_Report.pdf

Have you had a chance to read this, brown moses?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Not yet, I might print a copy for my flight to Washington, bit of lighthearted reading material.

Speaking of reports here's a piece on the Fall of Qusayr

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 7, 2013

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jamal al-Yafi was apparently the AQ equivalent of a goon.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Awful lot of engineers and other educated types seem to eager to run off to Syria and shot and/or blown up.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Dr. Tough posted:

Awful lot of engineers and other educated types seem to eager to run off to Syria and shot and/or blown up.

Not entirely surprising. A lot of the jihadi movement has been well educated, middle-class types.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Tough posted:

I remember reading somewhere that alot of Engineers become terrorists. Didn't Bin Laden and al Zawahiri go to school for it?

Maybe it is the appeal of using violence to create a tabula rasa.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

New Division posted:

Not entirely surprising. A lot of the jihadi movement has been well educated, middle-class types.

Reminds me of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1L6J05RvK8

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
God I'm a terrible person, but I couldn't help but chuckle at this biography from the "Convoy of Martyrs" paper.

quote:

Al-Maghrebi was reportedly 55 years old with a heart condition, and had heart surgery before
departing for Syria. He participated in many battles in Aleppo before being shot in the heart in an
assault on Aleppo International Airport.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

New Division posted:

Is this leading to a brain drain in jihadi countries?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

New Division posted:

God I'm a terrible person, but I couldn't help but chuckle at this biography from the "Convoy of Martyrs" paper.

I found Jamals coupled with his pic funny...so don't worry.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Russia has offered to send peacekeepers to Golan to replace the withdrawing Austrians, but the idea was immediately shot down by UN because the agreement between Syria and Israel doesn't allow contingents from permanent security council members.

What was Putin thinking anyway? Peacekeepers from neutral countries face enough problems day to day.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nenonen posted:

Russia has offered to send peacekeepers to Golan to replace the withdrawing Austrians, but the idea was immediately shot down by UN because the agreement between Syria and Israel doesn't allow contingents from permanent security council members.

What was Putin thinking anyway? Peacekeepers from neutral countries face enough problems day to day.

Trolling. Putin loves to do that.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Well if Israel didn't steal that particular piece of land 46 years ago they wouldn't have to worry about fighting there.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

LP97S posted:

Well if Israel didn't steal that particular piece of land 46 years ago they wouldn't have to worry about fighting there.

This is a bit of a derail but I have a question about forum policy: is the general moratorium on I/P discussion just in this thread, or forumwide as a whole? Or do I/P threads usually turn into Bad Places so quickly that it's effectively impossible to keep one of those fuckers alive for more than a few hours?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Namarrgon posted:

Here in the Netherlands there were quite a few cases of teenagers 'joining the Jihad' to fight against Assad. Enough that the government considered banning them from travel for a while.

This was in the news today, a clip has surfaced of a Shiite in Syria getting his throat slit while some of the people in the background speak Dutch with a Flemish accent (link just leads to the article and not to the clip itself). The Dutch government has opened an investigation as well.

I'd say this one of those cases where you can legitimately say 'gently caress you, don't bother coming back'. If it's real, that is.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

illrepute posted:

This is a bit of a derail but I have a question about forum policy: is the general moratorium on I/P discussion just in this thread, or forumwide as a whole? Or do I/P threads usually turn into Bad Places so quickly that it's effectively impossible to keep one of those fuckers alive for more than a few hours?

I never mentioned Palestine, the Golan Heights were controlled by the French Mandate for Syria from 1922 to 1946 Syria from 1946 until it's seizure by Israel in 1967.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

LP97S posted:

I never mentioned Palestine, the Golan Heights were controlled by the French Mandate for Syria from 1922 to 1946 Syria from 1946 until it's seizure by Israel in 1967.

I'm aware, and I'm not disagreeing. I just didn't want to miss my one opportunity to ask my question when it was pseudo-relevant.

Edit: For the sake of content-

Volkerball posted:

Welp. That lasted long. Government forces brought in tanks and artillery to retake the city, and the rebels retreated closer to the Israeli border. Two UN peacekeepers on the border were wounded. The tanks and artillery were brought into the demilitarized zone in Golan Heights, and Israel filed a complaint to the UN over it. Israel saying this is the closest the fighting has gotten to them.

I do find it very funny that the Israelis of all people can get away with filing a complaint over the Syrian army's "border violations" within their own territory, after themselves bombing the hell out of Damascus just weeks ago. How bad is that as far as border violations go, I wonder?

illrepute fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 8, 2013

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LP97S posted:

Hey perhaps Syria shouldn't have been planning an attack, granted they could have recovered in 1973, then again the Syria military isn't really good at things not involving killing civilians (and lets not even talk about their Air Force)

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

gfanikf posted:

Hey perhaps Syria shouldn't have been planning an attack, granted they could have recovered in 1973, then again the Syria military isn't really good at things not involving killing civilians (and lets not even talk about their Air Force)

Israel's annexation of the Golan Heights is only recognized as a legal action by one country (guess again, it's the Federated States of Micronesia) and was ruled as an illegal act by Security Council Resolution 497. Not a great example of a just action taken to repel an attacker, if I'm reading your train of thought correctly as Syria threatens Israel -> Israel is justified in flagrantly violating international law.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

illrepute posted:

Israel's annexation of the Golan Heights is only recognized as a legal action by one country (guess again, it's the Federated States of Micronesia) and was ruled as an illegal act by Security Council Resolution 497. Not a great example of a just action taken to repel an attacker, if I'm reading your train of thought correctly as Syria threatens Israel -> Israel is justified in flagrantly violating international law.

Who said anything about that? I was pointing out that perhaps Syria should have not taken actions triggering things that they couldn't defend against due to overall incompetence of its military in non internal matters.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

illrepute posted:

Or do I/P threads usually turn into Bad Places so quickly that it's effectively impossible to keep one of those fuckers alive for more than a few hours?

Certain types of threads attract people with readily formed opinions and responses so that you don't need to start the thread to know how it turns.

illrepute posted:

I do find it very funny that the Israelis of all people can get away with filing a complaint over the Syrian army's "border violations" within their own territory, after themselves bombing the hell out of Damascus just weeks ago. How bad is that as far as border violations go, I wonder?

There is a disengagement agreement between Israel and Syria that defines these kinds of things in Golan heights. There is no peace agreement between the two countries so technically they have a war going on.

(Also I wouldn't describe bombing a military depot in the outskirts of a city as 'bombing the hell out of the city'.)

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Nenonen posted:

(Also I wouldn't describe bombing a military depot in the outskirts of a city as 'bombing the hell out of the city'.)

The IDF triggered a massive ammo dump explosion in the general vicinity of the urban center popularly known as Damascus. If you want to wheedle at words until you're blue in the face you can be my guest, but you should be aware that you're on the same track that gets Shia neighborhoods in Tripoli labelled as "Hezbollah Strongholds."

quote:

Who said anything about that? I was pointing out that perhaps Syria should have not taken actions triggering things that they couldn't defend against due to overall incompetence of its military in non internal matters.

You did, just now. You're still saying it, in this post I'm quoting.

illrepute fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 8, 2013

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the subject of things in Syria blown up by Israel. Say that they hadn't blasted that nuclear reactor back in 07, assuming everything else being the same, would it be operational or fueled yet? Also based on its location how close would it have been to the fighting?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Orchard

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

illrepute posted:

Basically the last two. People get really really care mad about Israel and any thread focusing on them descends into poo poo very quickly.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

illrepute posted:

The IDF triggered a massive ammo dump explosion in the general vicinity of the urban center popularly known as Damascus. If you want to wheedle at words until you're blue in the face you can be my guest, but you should be aware that you're on the same track that gets Shia neighborhoods in Tripoli labelled as "Hezbollah Strongholds."

Just shut up, okay?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

illrepute posted:

You did, just now. You're still saying it, in this post I'm quoting.

No you said something about legality, I was talking about starting things with others who Syria can't beat.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

gfanikf posted:

No you said something about legality, I was talking about starting things with others who Syria can't beat.

Alright that's sensible, if somewhat pat. I was reading into your post that you were arguing the occupation as justifiable owing to aggression by Syria, like an international Castle Doctrine sorta thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

gfanikf posted:

There were widespread reports that Israel and Syria were actually making progress in secret negotiations in which Syria would recognize Israel in exchange for the return of some territory. The real sticking point with the Golan Heights, though, was freshwater security. Of course, any backdoor talks ended after the Mavi Marmara incident, and any democratic Syria is probably going to be even less likely to make any agreements with Israel.

• Locked thread