Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1700886053/genesis-a-child-custody-visitation-and-support-man?ref=category

Why in the pluperfect hell does this guy need $81,150 to write an iPhone app to tell you when to pick up your lovely little kids from their lovely little mother's house?

Exactly $81,150... That's oddly specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

pathetic little tramp posted:

And he seriously thinks it's a selling point that he says he'll have retarded people assemble his ice mitts. It's not a joke project, holy poo poo.

Considering that most KickStarter projects outsource their manufacturing to Chinese sweatshops this actually is a pretty decent selling point.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

KittyLitter posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1700886053/genesis-a-child-custody-visitation-and-support-man?ref=category

Why in the pluperfect hell does this guy need $81,150 to write an iPhone app to tell you when to pick up your lovely little kids from their lovely little mother's house?

Exactly $81,150... That's oddly specific.

I assume once you take the Kickstarter percentage and the Amazon Payments percentage out of it it becomes a nice round number

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Considering that most KickStarter projects outsource their manufacturing to Chinese sweatshops this actually is a pretty decent selling point.

Yeah, it's actually really nice to use the Arc or other institutions like that.

It's less nice to not acknowledge that the Arc changed its name in 1992 to reflect that using the "retarded" is super loving awkward.

doritto
May 12, 2013

KittyLitter posted:

He's probably trying sell the app on Kickstarter, as it seems he's already made it based on the screenshots

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

sparatuvs posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/918469157/coming-out-atheist?ref=card

A kickstarter trying to fund a documentary about "coming out" as an athiest.

Apparently this would cost 30,000 dollars.
I don't know what else to say

Wonder if they've posted on /r/atheism yet. Those kindred spirits would understand his plight I'm sure.

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

Wonder if they've posted on /r/atheism yet. Those kindred spirits would understand his plight I'm sure.

Not anymore... :( /r/atheism has become a barren wasteland of boring, sterile, repetitive nonsense ever since the denizens of /r/christianity got all butthurt about how they were being mocked. The mods decided to put some inanely draconian rules into place because of it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

DoctorPresident posted:

There's no :reject: large enough to explain this KS (don't forget to check out his website):

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1119327785/sons-of-nemeses?ref=recently_launched

quote:

New job!
Posted on 2013/04/25 by mathias
Took on new work, demonstrating really impressive, well-made knives in a variety of styles at very affordable prices. I’m absolutely delighted, and can ship my knives anywhere in the world, so if you want to see my wares, let me know, I’d be happy to set up an appointment with you.

Tags: CUTCO

Are you making GBS threads me?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

KittyLitter posted:

Not anymore... :( /r/atheism has become a barren wasteland of boring, sterile, repetitive nonsense ever since the denizens of /r/christianity got all butthurt about how they were being mocked. The mods decided to put some inanely draconian rules into place because of it.

He was being sarcastic. Reddit and especially the Atheism subreddit are a cesspool.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

tuyop posted:

You didn't quote the followup post!

quote:

Wiped…
Posted on 2013/04/26 by mathias
I’m tired. Like the most exhausted I’ve been in months. I’m happy, but I really wish my earnings reflected my work. I’ve put in a lot of effort and have absolutely nothing to show for it.

Posted in Thoughts and Observations | Tagged pointless, Working, worthless | 3 Comments

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

KittyLitter posted:

Tell me about the glory days of /r/atheism please. Thanks.

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

Me in Reverse posted:

He was being sarcastic. Reddit and especially the Atheism subreddit are a cesspool.

You know what... you're absolutely right. I pretty much only subscribe to /r/whatisthisthing and /r/videos now.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

tuyop posted:

So if you get the 2000 dollar prize you get to sit through his CUTCO presentation over dinner.

You get too see him cut a piece of drywall, slice a tomato and make a corkscrew out of a penny.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

vxskud posted:

So if you get the 2000 dollar prize you get to sit through his CUTCO presentation over dinner.

You get too see him cut a piece of drywall, slice a tomato and make a corkscrew out of a penny.

Nah, don't worry. A day later he posted about how terribly difficult the job was and his earnings don't represent his work. And then a couple weeks later he posted about not liking it when someone says they know more than him, because obviously he knows more than anyone considering themselves an authority.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
It's a testament to how crappy and overpriced Cutco knives are when a creepy dude brandishing knives door to door can't manage to squeak out a few racketeering dollars.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Mammal Sauce posted:

Tell me about the glory days of /r/atheism please. Thanks.

The mods enacted a rule so people couldn't post threads that were nothing but image links and people went absolutely apeshit. Apparently pictures of Dawkins with dumb poo poo written in Impact font are the lifeblood of atheism.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax

Cicadalek posted:

The mods enacted a rule so people couldn't post threads that were nothing but image links and people went absolutely apeshit. Apparently pictures of Dawkins with dumb poo poo written in Impact font are the lifeblood of atheism.

Internet atheism is a complicated and fickle beast.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Guys, how can we worry about cesspool atheist forums when we could be getting justice for her, this woman's daughter... the movie(?)!

With a mere $39,805, this clearly heartfelt and well-written story can be a reality. Why, for the low price of ten dollars, your support of this endeavor will be tweeted, facebooked, and google+'d like you've never been before! But if winning the envy of your peers isn't enough, a mere $300 will get you a DVD! And don't think this project is leaving the big spenders out in the cold! For our $1000-$2000 dollar tiers, your name will be forever tied to this project on the Internet...Movie...Database. Clearly, no higher honor has ever been offered in the history of Kickstarter.

Don't delay! There's only three more days to put your money into a movie that the project creator is calling "big...a film that will make people think for weeks, and hopefully for months...a world-class independent film that will leave audiences wanting..."

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Ahahaaa I love that it's full of grammar errors and the picture at the top is a stock photo with the watermark and ID number still on it. It's so totally :effort:

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I'm not sure what to think of this one:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/galrozov/foldimate-the-robotic-laundry-folding-machine?ref=live

It's an automatic laundry folding machine designed to be used in laundromats and ultimately homes (though at around $5000 to preorder one, that's probably a long way off). Does anyone really spend enough time with laundry folding that this would be a worthwhile labor saving invention?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
In the video it looks like it only folds one thing at a time and takes like 30 seconds to do it. It doesn't look convenient at all.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Bloodnose posted:

In the video it looks like it only folds one thing at a time and takes like 30 seconds to do it. It doesn't look convenient at all.

In the video, the lady had enough time to make a phone call which appears to have involved listening to someone tell funny jokes. That's got to be a 3 minute conversation at least.

I'm disappointed. I was expecting a machine the size of a washer where you dump your clothes into a big hopper. Then, who cares if it takes three minutes per item.

Edit:

Noni has a new favorite as of 04:44 on Jun 7, 2013

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Cockmaster posted:

I'm not sure what to think of this one:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/galrozov/foldimate-the-robotic-laundry-folding-machine?ref=live

It's an automatic laundry folding machine designed to be used in laundromats and ultimately homes (though at around $5000 to preorder one, that's probably a long way off). Does anyone really spend enough time with laundry folding that this would be a worthwhile labor saving invention?

Hospitals, hotels, linen rental services, etc. already do, which is why industrial folding machines exist.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Are you wondering what the dumbest way to violate copyright 52 times is? Why, making a "Go Fish" deck featuring stolen Mario art!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/53163752/super-mario-go-fish?ref=home_location

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Song For The Deaf posted:

Are you wondering what the dumbest way to violate copyright 52 times is? Why, making a "Go Fish" deck featuring stolen Mario art!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/53163752/super-mario-go-fish?ref=home_location

It took this guy 20 years to beat the original Super Mario Bros, he's not about to be the type of savant who understands "basic copyright law"

Also it's not like he's even redoing the art in an homage, they're just loving screenshots.

pathetic little tramp has a new favorite as of 19:05 on Jun 7, 2013

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012

pathetic little tramp posted:

Also it's not like he's even redoing the art in an homage, they're just loving screenshots.

Did you watch the video? All the images were LOVINGLY CREATED PIXEL BY PIXEL FROM THE GROUND UP by the artist, that's how copyright works:

DoctorPresident has a new favorite as of 19:50 on Jun 7, 2013

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

So he spent like 10 minutes in photoshop cropping screen caps and scanning a 3ds AR card.

What a go getter!

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

vxskud posted:

So he spent like 10 minutes in photoshop cropping screen caps and scanning a 3ds AR card.

What a go getter!

Hey, hey, hey. Give him some credit. He also went all the way to The Spriters' Resource and clicked on the "Mario" category!
And do you think he can afford to take the easy way out with Photoshop? He Paint-ed that poo poo! The hard way!

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I can't imagine a world in which $10,000 is at all reasonable. I just successfully funded a much larger project for a fourth of that.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

dijon du jour posted:

Hey, hey, hey. Give him some credit. He also went all the way to The Spriters' Resource and clicked on the "Mario" category!
And do you think he can afford to take the easy way out with Photoshop? He Paint-ed that poo poo! The hard way!

I just noticed his stretch goal of $15000 is that he will print them on "Bee Paper" which I'm assuming is referring to Bee Playing Cardstock. Which makes it sound like he intends to print them on regular paper if he doesn't get 15 grand.

Edit

I stand corrected he plans in using Bicycle Paper. How he plans to get one of the largest playing card companies on earth to go along with this scheme is still beyond me.

Cool Web Paige has a new favorite as of 22:42 on Jun 7, 2013

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I vaguely remember having seen some physical game of Mario themed go fish in the early to mid 90s. That makes him only 15 or 20 years late with this on top of all the other issues.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

I find this especially funny because Nintendo was originally founded as a playing card company. And according to Wikipedia, they still continue to manufacture playing cards in Japan (I didn't know that until I just looked it up).

EDIT: More from the Nintendo Wiki article, emphasis mine;

"In 1956, Hiroshi Yamauchi, grandson of Fusajiro Yamauchi, visited the U.S. to talk with the United States Playing Card Company, the dominant playing card manufacturer there. He found that the world's biggest company in his business was only using a small office. This was a turning point when Yamauchi realized the limitations of the playing card business. He then gained access to Disney's characters and put them on the playing cards to drive sales."

homewrecker has a new favorite as of 23:29 on Jun 7, 2013

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003
EDIT : Boss told me not to post it here yet. Well shitballs.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

AlbieQuirky posted:

Hospitals, hotels, linen rental services, etc. already do, which is why industrial folding machines exist.

There's a world of difference between buying a machine to fold thousands of garments every day and paying for the privilege of having a machine slowly fold your personal laundry.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

KittyLitter posted:

EDIT : Boss told me not to post it here yet. Well shitballs.

Seems like a wise move since this is the awful kickstarter thread.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

If Nintendo actually sold card decks like this I'd totally buy some. Poker with suits based off of Mario, Legend of Zelda, Metroid, and Star Fox(?) would be awesome.

DoctorPresident posted:

Did you watch the video? All the images were LOVINGLY CREATED PIXEL BY PIXEL FROM THE GROUND UP by the artist, that's how copyright works:

I'm getting a sense of deja vu with that screenshot message.

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

AxeManiac posted:

Seems like a wise move since this is the awful kickstarter thread.

Oh no... I understand quite well where I was posting... I hate every single aspect of the project, and I think it is an utterly awful kickstarter.

To clarify - I told him I was posting the video to SA... I didn't tell him -where- on SA.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay, now I'm interested.

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

Okay, now I'm interested.

To be fair, it's a noble cause, and it's definitely something we will be able to deliver on, it's just not what I want to be spending my time working on. When I went into business with him it was with the explicit goal of making money. This is not a money maker. It's a feel-gooder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

If Nintendo actually sold card decks like this I'd totally buy some. Poker with suits based off of Mario, Legend of Zelda, Metroid, and Star Fox(?) would be awesome.

I'm getting a sense of deja vu with that screenshot message.

They actually do have a Mario deck, you can buy it on Amazon.