Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I've went through five bikes in the two years I've been ridin'. I'm keeping the Vstrom I have now I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I've averaged about 5 bikes a year for the last 9 years.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

thylacine posted:

I've went through five bikes in the two years I've been ridin'. I'm keeping the Vstrom I have now I think.

I'm probably keeping my vstrom for at least a few years, it's been almost a year and I still love it. That said, I'm looking for a small displacement supermoto (wr250x, klx250sf) to add to my collection of 1, something I can (safely?) just ride the piss out of and not be totally bummed if I layer dan.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

My wife's finally relenting with the must buy new thing and we're going to check out a couple WR250s tomorrow.

This is one:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/3823982239.html

And the other is a WR250R from an AdvRider poster.

Is there anything I should be looking at in regards to this model, or anything in particular that pops out in the craigslist posting? I'm still waiting on some more information about the WRR but the pictures he sent me look super clean and the only thing that doesn't look bone stock on it is the exhaust.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
I'm crossposting this from the Ninja 250 thread, hopefully that's ok.

I'm looking at buying a used Ninja 250 as my first bike, and was wondering if y'all had any tips for buying. I found a 2005 EX250 for $1500 (Canadian), but the ad is pretty bare-bones (though it has a bunch of pictures and from what I can tell the bike is in pretty good shape). I emailed the dude asking for details like mileage, storage, accident/maintenance history, general maintenance status (when batteries and tires were last replaced). Assuming there aren't any red flags in his response, is there anything specific I should look out for, other than the usual checklist? I can probably talk him down a few hundred bucks on the price too.

Thanks guys!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That seems like a pretty screaming deal given that the canada bike market seems to be a bit more expensive than most. I wouldn't bother asking questions over email, just go see the bike, it's a good enough deal to justify it.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Anyone seen this new Honda CX500F? Its basically a mid-size adventure bike, same styling as all the others leading to the wonderful description - "complete with mini adventure beak"
Looks interesting enough and is tempting, given adventure bikes tend to be taller and I'm a very gangly person, and a KTM 390 is both too pricey and a bit too short for me. Anything else in that sort of range, or is the KTM about it? I am a bit wary of my and others experiences with Hondas being a bit of a pain to maintain at times, and of jumping on a brand new bike before significant user reviews come back; although I wouldn't be getting it for quite some time anyway unless its value drops like a stone.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 29, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Honestly, it looks like a super rad bike and I can't wait for them to drop in price and become good, affordable, cool looking beginner bike.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Z3n posted:

That seems like a pretty screaming deal given that the canada bike market seems to be a bit more expensive than most. I wouldn't bother asking questions over email, just go see the bike, it's a good enough deal to justify it.

You're not the one selling it, are you? :v:

I'll probably try to go and look at it in the next week or so since it IS a little bit of a trip to get out to where the seller lives. To be honest as long as he doesn't come back and say something like "Yeah I layer dan'd at 100km/h and had to rebuild the entire bike" I'm pretty much sold on it (assuming it runs as advertised of course).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

No, I only sell lovely bikes to unsuspecting buyers in the US :D

But given that everyone else who's posting beginner bikes in Canada is usually hitting at least the 2k range, it seems like a no-brainer if it's anywhere near decent shape. Ride it for 5k and then sell it for what you're into it.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
I just heard back from the seller and it's already sold already. I guess it was a good deal after all!

There's a bunch of decent bikes listed right around 2k though, so I'm not too bummed :v:

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
Looking at 600s. I rode an SV650 for 2 years and got a bit bored of the power, want something more fun. I was commuting on the SV so it was practical and comfy, now no longer commuting on the bike, so I just want to get a toy. My budget is around $5000. Tell me which one of the following I should buy!

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/mcy/3832492169.html
- 2006 GSXR 600, 42xx miles, looks mostly stock $5000

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/3797797610.html
- 2006 GSXR 600, 3500 miles, has exhaust $5500

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/3834082513.html
- 2007 GSXR 600, 9700 miles, Jardine GP exhaust, $5500

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/3830890305.html
- 2007 ZX6R, 8,900 miles, new tires, custom GP exhaust, lowered :( $5000

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/3823109427.html
- 2006 R6 50th anniversary edition, 7226 miles, new tires, M4 GP exhaust with mid pipe, Power Commander, tuned by local race shop, tons of high value mods. $5500

The R6 is on the top of my list, I love the way that it looks, the mods are really nice and tasteful, other than the stupid seat. All the other bikes are great options though.

BusinessWallet fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 31, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Does it have to be a 600cc four? Have you looked at Buell 1125R or Aprilia Mille?

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Honestly, I've ridden a few I4 600s and I'm just really in love with that top end scream. I rode a vtwin for 2 seasons and I got really bored of how predictable and steady the torque was. I like some of the Aprilias but there is a huge price premium in general. There's also really nothing available locally, kind of makes me worry about parts as well.

BusinessWallet fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 31, 2013

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

BusinessWallet posted:

Honestly, I've ridden a few I4 600s and I'm just really in love with that top end scream. I rode a vtwin for 2 years and I got really bored of how predictable and steady the torque was. I like some of the Aprilias but there is a huge price premium in general. There's also really nothing available locally, kind of makes me worry about parts as well.

Aprilia parts are easy (well, easier than they used to be) to get hold of via the internet, and I wouldn't use an SV to judge all twins by in terms of power delivery. They're lovely bikes but they've had almost all their twinniness surgically removed. The Rotax Aprilias have a hell of a top-end rush but will also rip your face off at 2.5k rpm.

In Britain at least sports 600s are a bad investment as used bikes because they've almost exclusively been previously owned by squids who have thrashed the poo poo out of them. No idea if it's the same over there but make sure you go over it with a really fine tooth comb.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Aprilia parts are easy (well, easier than they used to be) to get hold of via the internet, and I wouldn't use an SV to judge all twins by in terms of power delivery. They're lovely bikes but they've had almost all their twinniness surgically removed. The Rotax Aprilias have a hell of a top-end rush but will also rip your face off at 2.5k rpm.

In Britain at least sports 600s are a bad investment as used bikes because they've almost exclusively been previously owned by squids who have thrashed the poo poo out of them. No idea if it's the same over there but make sure you go over it with a really fine tooth comb.

Yeah, you definitely have to be careful here, I've seen a ton of thrashed up bikes. The big powerful twins are not too common here, just because the i4 bikes are so cheap and easily obtained. I honestly probably can't afford an Aprilia, I like the japanese bikes because they're cheap and easy to work on, tons of easily obtained knowledge.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Have you considered one of the 600cc triples?

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Have you considered one of the 600cc triples?

I have, but it's a matter of availability and price. I love the Speed Triple and the Daytona, but they're both wildly overpriced around here.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Aprilia parts are easy (well, easier than they used to be) to get hold of via the internet,

Keep in mind the guy is in the states. Aprilia's parts/dealer network here is tremendously less comprehensive than it is on the old continent. As in, prepare to wait weeks for any given part you may need to arrive via post. If you're lucky, it won't need to be airmailed from overseas.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

Keep in mind the guy is in the states. Aprilia's parts/dealer network here is tremendously less comprehensive than it is on the old continent. As in, prepare to wait weeks for any given part you may need to arrive via post. If you're lucky, it won't need to be airmailed from overseas.

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/default.asp have pretty much everything in stock all the time and have a fantastic reputation with American Aprilia owners (although this may be because they also own the biggest Aprilia forum on the internet), although their prices are on the high side.

When I say "easier than they used to be", by the way, I'm talking about pre-Piaggio days when half the time the distributor would have to strip parts off new bikes because Aprilia's parts store were so shambolic - and the entire company shut down for all of August.

As it is my new air temp sensor came in overnight but the new clutch slave seals will take 3 days because that's completely logical.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
AF1 Racing is good by Eurobike standards but it's a complete joke by Jap ones. Plus the prices are direly unkind. My local Aprilia dealer is essentially not an Aprilia dealer, and most people don't even have a fake one nearby. I've been getting what I needed off eBay for decent deals, but there's no way I could know I could find a dealer in reasonable distance and pick up a part that afternoon like I could with a japbike. In terms of US part support, Aprilia is somewhere around Guzzi and a step above Enfield, and worlds below everyone else.

Even Triumph is going to take three weeks to get any even marginally uncommon part.

Powerstone
May 30, 2010

What the fuck is this?
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mcy/3839429643.html

What do you guys think? This is actually my first time buying from a private seller, any tips?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Powerstone posted:

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mcy/3839429643.html

What do you guys think? This is actually my first time buying from a private seller, any tips?

5000 on the gauge cluster... how many miles on the bike?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Sounds/looks like a responsible owner. "On the gauge cluster" doesn't mean anything suspicious from my experience. While the mileage is low (slash possibly red-flaggy), the dude looks like someone who occasionally rides with his bros to the local bike night and has the thing parked the other 90% of the time.

Powerstone
May 30, 2010

What the fuck is this?
Thanks guys, I'm going to go take a look at it tomorrow, hopefully everything works out alright.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Should be picking up this bad boy today for $1000. drat steal for the Bay Area.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
I'm looking at a 1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 for my first bike. It looks to be in pretty good condition. Since I basically plan to just ride the hell out of it this summer and sell it to upgrade next year, is there anything I'm missing that would make this a super dumb idea? Bike comes road-certified so it can't be that busted.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'd do the regular checks and maintenance, and fix (to a reasonable degree) what you inevitably dash on the pavement. The more you ride a bike, the happier it is going to be. New tires might not be a bad idea.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

New tires for sure, and make sure you get to see it start up cold.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Just FYI, unless you live in texas or arizona or something, you'll pretty much always need some choke to start that ninja, so don't freak out about that. Tends to warm up pretty fast though.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Thanks guys! Tires were apparently replaced last year, so I'm thinking I can get away without buying new ones this summer, assuming that's true.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Yeah, check the date codes but if it's true you'll be fine and much better off than the average first-time Ninjette buyer.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Are there any forum opinions on Honda's new DCT bikes? Specifically the CTX700N and NC700X and their respective variants.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Untagged posted:

Are there any forum opinions on Honda's new DCT bikes? Specifically the CTX700N and NC700X and their respective variants.

Only that I sat on one at the dealership. It feels more like a scooter than a motorcycle, the controls are very light and the weight is way down low. I think they'd be great as a commuter bike but they don't excite in any way whatsoever. If it gets more people into motorcycling, I'm all for it.

alk4life
Jul 22, 2004
I test rode a NC700X and agree with Gweenz. I'll add that low rev limit felt very strange, I was constantly hitting it. I'm sure you'd get used to it though. It seemed like a smart choice for a commuter, but was so boring I had to pass.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

alk4life posted:

I test rode a NC700X and agree with Gweenz. I'll add that low rev limit felt very strange, I was constantly hitting it. I'm sure you'd get used to it though. It seemed like a smart choice for a commuter, but was so boring I had to pass.

You've described my whole problem with actually riding hondas. "Waits for torque curve, hits rev limit instead" repeat for next shift.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Nerobro posted:

You've described my whole problem with actually riding hondas. "Waits for torque curve, hits rev limit instead" repeat for next shift.

Is that how you'd describe the CRF450F that flung you to the moon and broke your elbow?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

n8r posted:

Is that how you'd describe the CRF450F that flung you to the moon and broke your elbow?

Yes. It must be a great little pocket universe your brain lives in. What with with all the wonderful stories of everyone else's life that you're constantly making up. How often does it mesh with reality? Pretty please? Tell me the stories?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Nerobro posted:

Yes. It must be a great little pocket universe your brain lives in. What with with all the wonderful stories of everyone else's life that you're constantly making up. How often does it mesh with reality? Pretty please? Tell me the stories?

Which part of the story did I get wrong? I know it was a CRF and I know you broke something. I guess you probably didn't make it all the way to the moon. I do have to wonder if you, being flung so high into the air by the CRF, may have pulled the moon just that much closer to us. Or was it that the earth being pulled closer to the moon? How does real life work? Any help would be appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

How about everything you got right? It was a Honda, and I broke my elbow. You don't need to be my historian, in fact, stop trying, you're positively horrendous at it.

I didn't get flung from the bike. I didn't get air. I didn't find my way into orbit around another celestial body.

It was what, five years ago? I don't think I could accurately describe the power band of the CRF450X beyond "Woooah."

This is, I think, the third creative iteration of your interpretation of what I did in the woods that afternoon. I think it's time you stop using it as an example.