Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles
Oh sweet christ, I am so awful at this. This is like the third Count of Ormond I've had to execute. Is there a guide somewhere that explains how this poo poo works? I really have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Try making religious vassals. Counts get uppity when they have as many troops as you, Lord Mayors are expensive to bribe, but Prince-Bishops are usually pretty content so long as you keep your ruler virtuous.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Ormond is a Grand City I believe, which nets you a big opinion penalty with whoever holds it for some reason. That might be a factor. Try to revoke the castle in the province so it becomes the capital.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Also, executing folks gives your other vassals an opinion malus. Just let them rot in the dungeon till they die. Or revoke his title and replace him with someone more pliable.

I find making everyone religous vassals just makes things way too stable and dull.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gorelab posted:

Also, executing folks gives your other vassals an opinion malus. Just let them rot in the dungeon till they die. Or revoke his title and replace him with someone more pliable.

I find making everyone religous vassals just makes things way too stable and dull.

I like to make religious vassals for holy sites now, it adds a nice bit of flavour and if I'm feeling especially assholish I'll give them the duchy too and put the counts under him. That said this usually doesn't work well in the long run since counts who are the vassals of priests rebel all the loving time.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Axeface posted:

Oh sweet christ, I am so awful at this. This is like the third Count of Ormond I've had to execute. Is there a guide somewhere that explains how this poo poo works? I really have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing.

Why are you having to execute them? Did the first one revolt against you?

If someone rebels you have a couple of options. As a traitor, you can keep him locked up indefinitely, execute him, or revoke one title and set him free. If you execute him, the title is going to pass to his son,and his son is probably going to be a bit miffed that you killed his dad. If he rebels because of that, and you execute him, the son's brother is probably going to take over, and he'll be double miffed you killed his dad and big brother.

Try revoking Ormond's title the next time one rebels, give it to someone with an already very positive opinion of you.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Are the spoilers in the GoT mod avoidable? Really want to give it a go.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Just don't start in any scenario after Robert's Rebellion and you'll be fine.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Even so, the show's a bit different than the books.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Not enough that the spoilers will not be spoilers.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

I'm up to date with the show, so will the earlier scenarios be spoiler free? I don't care about minor stuff like which characters are where so much, but if there are some characters dead or whatever I'd rather not know!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

As long as you dont go further than Roberts rebellion, you wont get any spoilers but background stuff. The Clash of Kings scenario might have spoilers for beyond ACoK, but I cant remember. Everything after that is spoiler central.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that having all three flanks filled out in your army is better than only having one or two. I fought against a somewhat smaller army with my troops led by a considerably better general (including a +33% morale bonus) and I was handily beaten. While watching the battle unfold I got the impression that I lost because my army only had the central "flank" occupied, while my opponents army had just a few dozen men on either side.

My opponent seemed to have all flanks filled because he called up a few vassals to help him. Is there some other way I can fill out my flanks? Am I misunderstanding the battle system?

It's usually a good idea to keep your three flanks relatively balanced. When you're looking at your army screen (where you switch out commanders), there's a little arrow next to the unit display on the top (where it shows X light infantry, X heavy infantry, etc). Click that arrow, and it will let you rearrange the regiments in your army. With your own personal levies, you get one regiment from each of your holdings, and can rearrange them as you see fit. Each set of retinues you raise is also one regiment.

If he only had a few people on the flanks, that's just the game trying to autobalance his army, and probably didn't make too much a difference. What likely happened is that he had a lot of one type of unit (probably archers or light cavalry) that can dominate in skirmish with the right tactics, or you attacked him over a river or straight, or he was defending on hills or mountains. All three at once can really tip the scales.

DrSunshine posted:

Intrigue DLC
I'd love this. Perhaps when you click the plot button next to a character, there's a "kill" button and a "discredit" button, where you can keep it going to get events that give little penalties to vassal/universal/church opinion. Maybe there could be more consequences to a discovered kill plot beyond "is mad at me," like a targeted courtier fleeing your court or a noble arresting/banishing plot members. Maybe landless claimants could "shop around" for a sponsor to press their claims in exchange for fealty/gold/whatever else.

Maybe Norse plotters could have a decision to say "gently caress it, I'll kill the bastard myself!" :black101: Honestly, Viking Hijinks would be a great addition, but unlikely beyond flavor events. I'm talking about stuff like the shieldmaiden stories someone posted earlier, plus this:

Björn Ironside posted:

They proceeded inland to the town of Luna, which they believed to be Rome at the time, but Björn found himself unable to breach the town walls. To gain entry, he sent messengers to the bishop to say that he had died, had a deathbed conversion, and wished to be buried on consecrated ground within their church. He was brought into the chapel with a small honor guard, then amazed the dismayed Italian clerics by leaping from his coffin and hacking his way to the town gates, which he promptly opened, letting his army in.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
One expansion needs to involve an interlecusterian Africa invasion with mounted zebra warriors, also maybe more general Africa love. I know theme Swedes hate Africa but goddamn, more poo poo for them please.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Personally I'd love an expansion that dealt primarily with expanding the interactions and capabilities of the women. Nunneries and Abbesses actually existing and holding power in the church, Royal Mothers/wives plotting with vassals to change succession laws and take the throne themselves, highly capable Queen Consorts playing puppet master to less capable sons or husbands, highly martial wives/daughters taking to the battlefield with their husbands or by themselves ala Sichaelgata and Robert D'Hauteville, etc, etc. I guess overall I'd like to see women be fuller characters that are more than just the means to stats, titles, and heirs. Marrying a genius intrigue master should do more than just add half her stats and give you a good spymaster, you should be able to collaborate as a couple to do some serious power moves, and at the same time you should need to be more careful about bringing in noble women that are far beyond your own competence.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

How do I attack other fleets? Keep getting raided by vikings who just run onto their ships whenever I come near and for some reason my ships won't attack theirs.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Infinite Monkeys posted:

How do I attack other fleets? Keep getting raided by vikings who just run onto their ships whenever I come near and for some reason my ships won't attack theirs.

No naval combat.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So anyone got any recommended and up-to-date mods to use while Wiz is busy with EU4? This VIET thing looks pretty nice, and I want to use Better Armies since it makes grooming my Norse characters to be better warriors actually matter.

Also, something disabling de jure drift would be nice. The AI is all over the place and the Karlings totally mess the balance of central Europe up too much when one of them creates an Empire and has too much support to be toppled.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I'm up to date with the show, so will the earlier scenarios be spoiler free? I don't care about minor stuff like which characters are where so much, but if there are some characters dead or whatever I'd rather not know!

If you consider knowing about characters existing that haven't been revealed on the show yet to be spoilers then don't play the clash of kings scenario. A somewhat major character that the show won't get to for a while pops up way earlier than they should. Anything before that should be fine. You probably shouldn't even click on any of the scenarios that come after that.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm too scared to play the Game of Thrones mod since while there can be no story spoilers in the early scenario, I'd rather locations, families, and crazy magic poo poo that is possible in this universe be revealed to me by the show.

Besides normal CK2 and CK2+ are Game of Thronesy enough already with incest and betrayal and murder.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Spoilers in the Game of Thrones mod basically goes like this assuming that you are up to date with the show:

All scenarios up to and including Robert's Rebellion are 100% safe except for setting spoilers.

All scenarios from the Crowned Stag to Clash of Kings are safe except for one single major event which the show haven't gotten to that has a chance to happen in the mod. There is a txt file you can delete from the events folder to remove that if you really want to, I think it's invasions.txt or something like that.

Feast for Crows is spoilers galore, don't even click on it.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 8, 2013

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Nolanar posted:

I'd love this. Perhaps when you click the plot button next to a character, there's a "kill" button and a "discredit" button, where you can keep it going to get events that give little penalties to vassal/universal/church opinion. Maybe there could be more consequences to a discovered kill plot beyond "is mad at me," like a targeted courtier fleeing your court or a noble arresting/banishing plot members. Maybe landless claimants could "shop around" for a sponsor to press their claims in exchange for fealty/gold/whatever else.
I wish there was a "positive" plot system, where people who like you/the target would help you. Like "court a lady/lord" for a lover, "free a prisoner" where you organize a dungeon break, "Try to befriend".

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Someone on the Paradox forums wants to make an Egalitarian mod. Not everyones cup of tea obviously, but hey, it's not like it will harm anyone. First reply:

quote:

So you're putting in a game that's set in the year 1000 (now 800) 1970s problems?
"Indipendent" women in the middle ages?

I suggest you try something like The Sims for that kind of gameplay.
I also dislike how the equivalent for females of "chauvinistic" is indipendent.

Go play the Sims :reject:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Kainser posted:

Someone on the Paradox forums wants to make an Egalitarian mod. Not everyones cup of tea obviously, but hey, it's not like it will harm anyone. First reply:

Go play the Sims :reject:

Haha. I didn't think it was possible to like a game for the wrong reasons, but it's clear there are some who are CK2 fans because they think medieval society was the ideal society.

Plus people getting angry at completely optional content is always good for a laugh.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I am sending my court chaplain to provinces where heresy is popping up, but it does not seem to DO anything. I convert plenty of people, but never the province. How can I fight heresy?

Is gaining and losing heretical provinces only event driven and my court priest has no effect?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Diogines posted:

I am sending my court chaplain to provinces where heresy is popping up, but it does not seem to DO anything. I convert plenty of people, but never the province. How can I fight heresy?

Is gaining and losing heretical provinces only event driven and my court priest has no effect?

Nah, it does work, though the chance to convert is affected by some factors that aren't obvious. Mouse over the Proselytize option when you're in the Councillors screen and your chaplain is on his rounds, and you'll see the yearly chance. The moral authority of your religion is a big factor, and in general converting heretics of your religion is much easier than converting other established religions and their heretics.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Schizotek posted:

It might not be accurate, but it's better than what Paradox has.

Any criticisms, particularly the first three?

If you're asking about the titles, they look great to me!

If you're asking about the code, I have no idea.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Diogines posted:

Either your chaplain has a poor learning stat or you are just being unlucky. Using your court chaplain is the right way to convert provinces, but you are at the mercy of the random number generator. Sometimes it takes a long long time.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

toasterwarrior posted:

So anyone got any recommended and up-to-date mods to use while Wiz is busy with EU4? This VIET thing looks pretty nice, and I want to use Better Armies since it makes grooming my Norse characters to be better warriors actually matter.

Also, something disabling de jure drift would be nice. The AI is all over the place and the Karlings totally mess the balance of central Europe up too much when one of them creates an Empire and has too much support to be toppled.

I've been using VIET. I've not gotten the chance to play CK2+ yet, but VIET is pretty nice. It adds a couple of traits and some minor events, and I think tweaks stuff like letting any female you want be Spymaster. It's got my vote.

Sartana
Jun 8, 2013
I love The Saga of Ragnar Lodbrok and the Great Heathen Army so I was really, really excited to play as Ivar the Boneless in The Old Gods. This is one of those cases where I get too caught up in trying to accurately recreate history, though. I can win the first war but unfortunately I can never actually imprison King Aelle and I just cannot continue without doing so. It just is not right to play as the Great Heathen Army without properly capturing Aelle and giving the motherfucker a Blood Eagle. :black101:

I did this with King Alfonso too- I really, really wanted to actually conspire to murder Sancho and inherit his domains, but I kept loving up and couldn't whack him before he produced offspring, so I just kept starting a new game until I got it right.

Is there anything I can do beyond just pray for dumb luck to imprison Aelle in a battle with an army he leads?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

marktheando posted:

Either your chaplain has a poor learning stat or you are just being unlucky. Using your court chaplain is the right way to convert provinces, but you are at the mercy of the random number generator. Sometimes it takes a long long time.

My capital fell to heresy, so my chaplain converts lots of people, but, not the province.

Is the fact that it is my capital and thus, the births of everyone in my court is making new heretics constantly, preventing me from converting the province? Does the 'convert' chart for my priests actions tilt the odds in favor of converting people in a heathen province, if there are lots of heathens in it? Should I focus on other provinces?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Sartana posted:

I love The Saga of Ragnar Lodbrok and the Great Heathen Army so I was really, really excited to play as Ivar the Boneless in The Old Gods. This is one of those cases where I get too caught up in trying to accurately recreate history, though. I can win the first war but unfortunately I can never actually imprison King Aelle and I just cannot continue without doing so. It just is not right to play as the Great Heathen Army without properly capturing Aelle and giving the motherfucker a Blood Eagle. :black101:

I did this with King Alfonso too- I really, really wanted to actually conspire to murder Sancho and inherit his domains, but I kept loving up and couldn't whack him before he produced offspring, so I just kept starting a new game until I got it right.

Is there anything I can do beyond just pray for dumb luck to imprison Aelle in a battle with an army he leads?

There's also a chance to imprison someone after a siege, but that's almost always women or children rather than the defending commander. Other than that, you've just got to keep beating him in battle and hoping for that chance of capture.

Diogines posted:

My capital fell to heresy, so my chaplain converts lots of people, but, not the province.

Is the fact that it is my capital and thus, the births of everyone in my court is making new heretics constantly, preventing me from converting the province? Does the 'convert' chart for my priests actions tilt the odds in favor of converting people in a heathen province, if there are lots of heathens in it? Should I focus on other provinces?

The fact that it's your capital shouldn't make a difference, nor should the courtiers being heretics. If that's annoying you, you can always go into diplomacy with one and use "demand religious conversion." If they like you and aren't zealous, they should accept. You just have to wait and hope. Try doing things that boost Moral Authority (holy wars, holding holy sites), make sure you have a high-learning chaplain, and wait it out.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

What Fun posted:

I've been using VIET. I've not gotten the chance to play CK2+ yet, but VIET is pretty nice. It adds a couple of traits and some minor events, and I think tweaks stuff like letting any female you want be Spymaster. It's got my vote.

Thanks for the recommendation, it looks really neat!

Unfortunately, looks like neither Better Armies nor VIET currently work with the beta patch. Oh well, I've been playing the game constantly since release, so a break might be for the best. :)

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Sartana posted:

Press the ~ key
Type "imprison 163103"
Press the ~ key

Bob's Rollo's your uncle.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Is it normal for republics to become independent at the drop of a hat? I'm trying to stay true to the Byzantine Empire (and eat up the counts in Sicily one by one :getin:) but every time some rear end in a top hat revolts against the Emperor the republic turns, and stays, independent.

e: I would like to recommend Rebellion again as music for ToG. They got you loving covered on the Viking front but there's also a concept album about MacBeth!

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 8, 2013

Sartana
Jun 8, 2013

Omar_Comin posted:

Press the ~ key
Type "imprison 163103"
Press the ~ key

Bob's Rollo's your uncle.

Thanks. I usually try to avoid mucking with the console, it makes me feel dirty, but it looks like I'll just have to resort to it in this case.

I can accept that the mechanics of the gameplay aren't always going to mimic reality, but man, it's frustrating when you occupy a castle and your sworn enemy is still allowed to sit and reign in it as if there was nothing going on.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Odobenidae posted:

I decided to give the Norman Duke of Apulia a go, which was not a very good choice. I started with 1 Diplomacy and the very second I unpaused a faction was formed against me. I was called into three wars by the end of the next year and had two rebelling vassals. For whatever reason Venice decides to take one of my cities and I inevitably lose my men to the never ending mercenaries. In the middle of the war with Venice one of my vassals (who controls his own mercenary band :toot:) rebels against me. I was under the assumption that this was a newbie start but I have gotten my rear end handed to me time after time. Has it changed significantly since TOG was released?

Which start date did you use? 1066 is fairly easy, I have no clue how 854 changes the difficulty of Apulia.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

FriggenJ posted:

Which start date did you use? 1066 is fairly easy, I have no clue how 854 changes the difficulty of Apulia.

1066, since in the 867 start date it is controlled by muslims.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Am I doing something wrong?

I'm Dublin, and I assault Leinster to the south. I defeat the army, siege their castle with more men than they, get the "victory" screen once they get down to zero...and then the province takes on a "crosshatch" hue, and there's NINE HUNDRED men inside the castle and I can't maintain the siege?

Is this a bug? Am I messing up somewhere? Or is this a case of "you took one castle, now take the second?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Does anyone know where in the files character modifiers are hidden? Jesus was supposed to give me military advice, but I haven't heard anything yet.

• Locked thread