Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

Thanks for the response, that was my question yeah.
I have a fairly solid background with network theory, I have just never dealt with how it was implemented on Linux in detail. The book looks good though :)

Not trying to be aggressive, but Linux doesn't do anything different than Windows or your router. You should probably read the book, since your background in network theory is somewhat shaky.

Pseudo-random high ports, renegotiation (except for active FTP and other "old" services), embedding of the source/destination addresses/ports in the packet is all part of the standard. It's possible to cause a checksum collision in such a way that there's a conflict between traffic flows, but it's so unlikely that it'll probably never happen in your experience, and you wouldn't notice anyway (since TCP is a reliable protocol, it'll discard spurious packets and request missing ones).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

evol262 posted:

Whether or not anyone thinks it's an issue is one thing. TTYs are surprisingly complex, and there's a lot of accumulated cruft. The interaction between terminal emulator and TTYs isn't always intuitive, etc. It's a hard subject, and it's easier to just deal with it as a text stream. I'm not even aware of a native terminal emulator with this behavior. I'm sure the PuTTY guys would welcome patches.

You aren't thinking far enough back into history. The original TTYs (Teletype terminals, essentially a keyboard attached to a printer instead of a screen) worked exactly like this.

So the comedy option would be to set "export TERM=dumb", and output some blank lines to get to the bottom of the window.

It is a comedy option because it will also disable most everything that uses ncurses or any sort of full-screen editing capability.
For example, the "vi" editor will drop into traditional line editor "ex" mode.

The best way to achieve what was asked would be to customize the shell instead of the TTY or anything associated with it.
That way, any character-based software other than the shell won't be affected.

If you throw this command in your .bashrc or .bash_profile, it will prefix your existing shell prompt with a terminal command sequence that moves the cursor to the bottom of the screen:
code:
export PS1="\[$(tput cup 999 0)\]$PS1"
(If you routinely use terminal windows with more than 999 lines in height, increase the number.)

ryo
Jan 15, 2003
For those of you running linux on HP servers, how do you handle firmware patches?
I've been using HPSUM to do this recently, and it is such a poorly made application, I wondered if there are any alternatives.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Oldest TTYs I've seen were serial, but VT100, so...

I was under the impression that tputting the cursor will break line wrapping if your command is longer than the terminal width, hence my suggestion to query the TTY for its size and echo blank lines until you're there

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

ryo posted:

For those of you running linux on HP servers, how do you handle firmware patches?
I've been using HPSUM to do this recently, and it is such a poorly made application, I wondered if there are any alternatives.

The thing does seem pretty garbage. The easiest way to just install everything leaves a bunch of stuff you don't need on the system, like 8 different linux services but it also updates the firmware. I think there is a flag to not do that but the thing sucks. I know they have RPMs in a directory somewhere, but no idea if you can add it like a repository. I have been manually installing the raid tool to manage raid, and updated a couple machines offline booting the disk image.

I remember for a while Dell had this well maintained RPM repo that you just installed and it would keep your firmware up to date with just yum upgrades. I don't know why they have to make it such a pain in the rear end.

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

evol262 posted:

I was under the impression that tputting the cursor will break line wrapping if your command is longer than the terminal width[...]

... and that's why I put those '\[' and '\]' marks around the part that becomes the cursor-move sequence. It tells the shells that the characters enclosed with those marks are terminal-control sequences that should not count towards the command line length for line wrapping purposes.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Would this be the right thread to ask about setting up LDAP/smbldap-tools in centos?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

How well is Ubuntu going to handle swapping mobo/cpu/ram from a 965 chipset mobo/q6600/4GB DDR2 to a z87 chipset mobo/i7-4770/16GB DDR3?

Same answer if I decide to cheap out and instead use a z77/ivy bridge-era cpu?

Will I need to do a re-install?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

At worst you'll have to rebuild the initramfs.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

How well is Ubuntu going to handle swapping mobo/cpu/ram from a 965 chipset mobo/q6600/4GB DDR2 to a z87 chipset mobo/i7-4770/16GB DDR3?

Same answer if I decide to cheap out and instead use a z77/ivy bridge-era cpu?

Will I need to do a re-install?

Pff I've swapped from a 32-bit athlon XP with SIS chipset to a Core2Duo without incident. Linux really doesn't care about that stuff. Re-installing is for Windows.

One thing you need to look out for is udev renaming your ethernet devices,

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

If I am listening to audio from a youtube video, I can load an mp3 also and get audio from both youtube and the mp3 on Windows. In Fedora only one application can do audio while the rest remain silent. Is this normal behavior? If not any ideas on what I can do to correct it? I don't know anything about sound/audio. :(

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

spankmeister posted:

Pff I've swapped from a 32-bit athlon XP with SIS chipset to a Core2Duo without incident. Linux really doesn't care about that stuff. Re-installing is for Windows.

One thing you need to look out for is udev renaming your ethernet devices,

Most distros have a lot of kernel stuff included, so it's to be expected. Try this on a custom gentoo build and you'll not be a happy bunny.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Experto Crede posted:

Most distros have a lot of kernel stuff included, so it's to be expected. Try this on a custom gentoo build and you'll not be a happy bunny.

But why would I want to do that? :confused:

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

spankmeister posted:

But why would I want to do that? :confused:

Because breaking stuff is fun and educational!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Social Animal posted:

If I am listening to audio from a youtube video, I can load an mp3 also and get audio from both youtube and the mp3 on Windows. In Fedora only one application can do audio while the rest remain silent. Is this normal behavior? If not any ideas on what I can do to correct it? I don't know anything about sound/audio. :(
There are several ways to do this. And I would have expected a mass market distribution like fedora to set one of those up automatically.
Looks like fedora should use pulseaudio.
So what you want should work without trouble.
The most likely problem is, that one of your 2 applications grabs full access to your soundcard ( that can still happen in Windows too, btw ). If it is a really old app causing the problem, that can be fixed by starting the application with padsp $appname, but that is normally too annoying to do.

So check if pulseaudio is installed on your system.
If it is, check if alsa does correctly rout audio to pulseaudio.
For this you should use whatever gui fedora recommends. If you want to check the config yourself it should be in ~/.asoundrc or in /etc/asound.conf
You are looking for a block like this:
code:
pcm.!default {
        type pulse
}
If you don't have that block add it to .asoundrc and restart alsa.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Social Animal posted:

This should work just fine out-of-the-box and the fact that it isn't suggests something is profoundly wrong with your system.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

telcoM posted:

... and that's why I put those '\[' and '\]' marks around the part that becomes the cursor-move sequence. It tells the shells that the characters enclosed with those marks are terminal-control sequences that should not count towards the command line length for line wrapping purposes.

That's clear. I meant more that it would behave like hpux and start overwriting ps1 after 80-Len(ps1) characters. I haven't verified this, though it definitely happens if you tput around to write something below the prompt.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I'm toying with a Bash shell on Windows, the MINGW32 thingie. There's something I don't understand.

ls:
code:
AppData
Application Data
Contacts
Cookies
Desktop
DevelopmentStorageDb201210.mdf
DevelopmentStorageDb201210_log.ldf
Documents
Downloads
Favorites
Links
Local Settings
Music
My Documents
NTUSER.DAT
NTUSER.DAT{016888bd-6c6f-11de-8d1d-001e0bcde3ec}.TM.blf
NTUSER.DAT{016888bd-6c6f-11de-8d1d-001e0bcde3ec}.TMContainer00000000000000000001.regtrans-ms
NTUSER.DAT{016888bd-6c6f-11de-8d1d-001e0bcde3ec}.TMContainer00000000000000000002.regtrans-ms
NetHood
Pictures
PrintHood
Recent
Saved Games
SciTE.session
Searches
SendTo
Start Menu
Templates
Videos
_viminfo
bdsup2sub
danid.log
danid.log.1
ntuser.dat.LOG1
ntuser.dat.LOG2
ntuser.ini
test.txt
ls | sort -r:
code:
test.txt
ntuser.ini
ntuser.dat.LOG2
ntuser.dat.LOG1
danid.log.1
danid.log
bdsup2sub
_viminfo
Videos
Templates
Start Menu
SendTo
Searches
SciTE.session
Saved Games
Recent
PrintHood
Pictures
NetHood
NTUSER.DAT{016888bd-6c6f-11de-8d1d-001e0bcde3ec}.TMContainer00000000000000000002.regtrans-ms
NTUSER.DAT{016888bd-6c6f-11de-8d1d-001e0bcde3ec}.TMContainer00000000000000000001.regtrans-ms
NTUSER.DAT
My Documents
Music
Local Settings
Links
Favorites
Downloads
Documents
Desktop
Cookies
Contacts
Application Data
AppData
Why is the output not sorted properly (shown in reverse to emphasize)? It sorts fine from AppData to _viminfo, but the files that come after that are not properly sorted; it appears that they're sorted by modified date or something. Shouldn't sort not care?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Pilsner posted:

I'm toying with a Bash shell on Windows, the MINGW32 thingie. There's something I don't understand.

ls:
code:
AppData
Application Data
Contacts
Cookies
Desktop
Documents
Downloads
Favorites
Links
Local Settings
Music
My Documents
NTUSER.DAT
NetHood
Pictures
PrintHood
Recent
Saved Games
SciTE.session
Searches
SendTo
Start Menu
Templates
Videos
_viminfo
bdsup2sub
danid.log
danid.log.1
ntuser.dat.LOG1
ntuser.dat.LOG2
ntuser.ini
test.txt
ls | sort -r:
code:
test.txt
ntuser.ini
ntuser.dat.LOG2
ntuser.dat.LOG1
danid.log.1
danid.log
bdsup2sub
_viminfo
Videos
Templates
Start Menu
SendTo
Searches
SciTE.session
Saved Games
Recent
PrintHood
Pictures
NetHood
NTUSER.DAT
My Documents
Music
Local Settings
Links
Favorites
Downloads
Documents
Desktop
Cookies
Contacts
Application Data
AppData
Why is the output not sorted properly (shown in reverse to emphasize)? It sorts fine from AppData to _viminfo, but the files that come after that are not properly sorted; it appears that they're sorted by modified date or something. Shouldn't sort not care?
sort is case-sensitive. You want sort -f to make it case-insensitive.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Ahh.. thanks, that works. :)

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

tonberrytoby posted:

There are several ways to do this. And I would have expected a mass market distribution like fedora to set one of those up automatically.
Looks like fedora should use pulseaudio.
So what you want should work without trouble.
The most likely problem is, that one of your 2 applications grabs full access to your soundcard ( that can still happen in Windows too, btw ). If it is a really old app causing the problem, that can be fixed by starting the application with padsp $appname, but that is normally too annoying to do.

For this you should use whatever gui fedora recommends. If you want to check the config yourself it should be in ~/.asoundrc or in /etc/asound.conf
You are looking for a block like this:
code:
pcm.!default {
        type pulse
}
If you don't have that block add it to .asoundrc and restart alsa.

This didn't appear to resolve the issue but you gave me enough info to work through it I think. Thanks for the help, hopefully when I do a complete reinstall for F19 in the coming month this should be resolved if I can't figure it out.

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

Social Animal posted:

This didn't appear to resolve the issue but you gave me enough info to work through it I think. Thanks for the help, hopefully when I do a complete reinstall for F19 in the coming month this should be resolved if I can't figure it out.

From my personal notes: see also http://alsa.opensrc.org/.asoundrc which helped me to solve the problem on my install.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

tonberrytoby posted:

This should be done by default if you have alsa-plugins-pulseaudio installed. Remove any ~/.asoundrc file you may have, as ALSA will now read the PA configuration in /usr/share/alsa.conf.d/

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I had two vnc servers (tigervnc) running on Fedora 18 (gnome 3) and noticed this:

user 6737 19.2 27.7 3973448 2267364 ? SLl May25 4453:35 /usr/bin/gnome-shell
user 7104 17.5 6.9 2476068 566972 ? SLl May25 4071:59 /usr/bin/gnome-shell

... nearly 3GB of memory usage for two vnc sessions? The hell?

I think I'm going to try out Mint or something, I'm getting pretty tired of Fedora and gnome 3.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

eXXon posted:

I had two vnc servers (tigervnc) running on Fedora 18 (gnome 3) and noticed this:

I think I'm going to try out Mint or something, I'm getting pretty tired of Fedora and gnome 3.

Wouldn't it be easier to set those up to use LXDE?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to set those up to use LXDE?

I don't specifically need a lightweight desktop environment, just one without what appear to be insane memory leaks.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

More newbie stuff: The MINGW32 console window won't accept backslashes, which is quote hampering to say the least. Same problem with many other special characters. I'm on English Windows, but with Danish keyboard and language. What can I do?

Should I look to Cygwin if I want to dabble in the Linux commandline on Windows, or something else?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Installing Linux in a virtual machine would give you a much more authentic experience.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

eXXon posted:

Something is drastically wrong here. What are the users doing? GNOME3 has a few outstanding problems with memory leaks with certain shell extensions. This is not normal (and you'll likely have the same problems with the same workflow on another distro if you keep using Gnome3).

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I am a total newbie to linux virtualization, does xen require a special processor for it to work? I have been trying to set up CentOS 6.4 with xen and cloudmin and I am getting some error about it not supporting virtualization.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Stealthgerbil posted:

I am a total newbie to linux virtualization, does xen require a special processor for it to work? I have been trying to set up CentOS 6.4 with xen and cloudmin and I am getting some error about it not supporting virtualization.

Yes, but most of them support it nowadays. You probably just need to enable it in the BIOS.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

evol262 posted:

Something is drastically wrong here. What are the users doing? GNOME3 has a few outstanding problems with memory leaks with certain shell extensions. This is not normal (and you'll likely have the same problems with the same workflow on another distro if you keep using Gnome3).

The users are me - I use vnc to access my work computer at home when I can't be bothered to transfer files and/or when x forwarding is too slow/buggy. I had a konsole window open with a few tabs and nothing much else of consequence. I do use the cairo-dock and a window list extension, but I can't see how any of that adds up to such a huge leak.

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?
pmap -x <PID>
cat /proc/<PID>/smaps

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Yes, but most of them support it nowadays. You probably just need to enable it in the BIOS.

Pretty sure Xen can be configured for paravirtualization, though, as long as the guest OS supports it. Also, CentOS is meh as a Xen host; Red Hat anointed KVM over Xen for 6.x so support for that is much nicer. I tried CentOS and Debian as Xen hosts and Debian wasn't as much trouble.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well, I killed the vncserver before I could do that. But curiously enough, for a fresh vncserver it's still using 200m, half of which is:

00007f8095c81000 102580 64 0 r---- locale-archive

VmFlags: rd wr mr mw me ac
7f8095c81000-7f809c0ae000 r--p 00000000 09:05 136942 /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive
Size: 102580 kB

loving locales. Seriously, is there any way to get rid of non-English locales permanently?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
I'm having a problem when printing letter headed paper using duplexing (long edge). When the document is only one page long it prints on the side of the sheet opposite to the letter head. If it's two or more pages long all is well.

I don't understand why it's changing the first side to be printed based on document length, is there any cups option that can be changed to avoid this?

I'm using OpenSuse 12.1 but this problem also happens on 11.4 and NOT on 11.2.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Pilsner posted:

Should I look to Cygwin if I want to dabble in the Linux commandline on Windows, or something else?

Cygwin is nice if you just want to dip your toes or use some well-supported Linux programs in Windows. If you need binutils, cmake, diff, python, command-line svn/git, etc it's pretty much the easiest way from point A to B and scripts and such should mostly be portable. Most reasonably esoteric packages are there (eg python-numpy) but if you need something really out there you may have issues. If you end up having to build a bunch of dependencies from source your life is kinda going to suck.

If you don't want any sort of a GUI you can do pretty well with Ubuntu Server inside Virtualbox, or you can just run a full-blown desktop distro in Virtualbox too (I like Lubuntu). Just set up some shared folders to what you need and you're good.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 10, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

eXXon posted:

The users are me - I use vnc to access my work computer at home when I can't be bothered to transfer files and/or when x forwarding is too slow/buggy. I had a konsole window open with a few tabs and nothing much else of consequence. I do use the cairo-dock and a window list extension, but I can't see how any of that adds up to such a huge leak.

How are you setting up VNC, and which variant are you using? I remember one version of VLC leaking a bunch of X windows all over the place, which would balloon into mutter tracking into a new window and backing pixmap every frame drawn.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Pretty sure Xen can be configured for paravirtualization, though, as long as the guest OS supports it.
Yeah, but do you really want to? Especially if your processor supports it anyhow. Besides, processors that lack virtualization support will be pretty old or low end.

quote:

Also, CentOS is meh as a Xen host; Red Hat anointed KVM over Xen for 6.x so support for that is much nicer. I tried CentOS and Debian as Xen hosts and Debian wasn't as much trouble.
KVM over Xen? How does that work? And what benefit does it give you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

"over" meaning "instead of" or "in favor of"