Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

MeramJert posted:

But I thought Hong Kong was the least racist and most multicultural city?

Wouldn't that tell you how bad the other places are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

InspectorBloor posted:

Wouldn't that tell you how bad the other places are?

Pretty sure he's referencing this ironically.

Anyway, check out this badass new game:

Apparently the Global Times made it. It's called "Take Back the Diaoyus." "The Chinese nation's determination to protect the Diaoyu Islands is unwavering!" I haven't tried it yet. Like most Chinese games, it probably sucks. Especially if it was in fact developed by a nationalist newspaper.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Bloodnose posted:

Apparently the Global Times made it. It's called "Take Back the Diaoyus." "The Chinese nation's determination to protect the Diaoyu Islands is unwavering!" I haven't tried it yet. Like most Chinese games, it probably sucks. Especially if it was in fact developed by a nationalist newspaper.

"Take Back the Diaoyus" is so defeatist. Shouldn't it be more along the lines of "Defend the Diaoyus"? Take Back suggest they're not currently in Chinese hands.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Bloodnose posted:

They've gone from making the movie Storm of the South Sea after stealing islands by force and now just make flash games about wanting to, man the propaganda isn't as good as it used to be.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Bloodnose posted:

The game is poo poo, yes. Like the 1994 Raptor game only... bad. Moreso.

Also that propaganda art reminds me of somethi-

Oh right.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
The Global Times is Poe's Law irl.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

That is an accurate simulation of naval combat.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Holy poo poo that game is hard for a supposed piece of propaganda. Chinese Navy stands no chance against Imperialist Aggression, their single destroyer is outnumbered 1:99999 by Japanese laser corvettes and jets.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 23, 2021

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Pressing spacebar does a thing btw.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
There was an 'international friendly,' which I'm told is some kind of gay European soccer thing, on Tuesday night between the Hong Kong and Philippines national teams. The game was held in Mong Kok. The Philippines won. Good for them.

Except some Hong Kong fans turned out to be total douchebags. They booed during the Philippines national anthem. They threw bottles at the Philippine fans, who were reportedly mostly women and children, and someone loudly declared "you're all just slaves."

So that was pretty cool. They also threw water at the team captain, and apparently not in the American football-style good way.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
"you're all just slaves?" Are they talking about Filipino domestic workers in Hong Kong?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

sincx posted:

Lol, it's like something on newgrounds from 2001

Wouldn't be surprised if it WAS on Newgrounds in 2001, just minus the Diaoyu-themed start screen.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

VideoTapir posted:

"you're all just slaves?" Are they talking about Filipino domestic workers in Hong Kong?

Yeah. Filipinos in Hong Kong are overwhelmingly female domestic workers. Which of course means that every Filipino person in the world is that.

They're called Bun Buns. From 菲律賓(賓).

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
You're all just OUR slaves.

That just kind of goes beyond reprehensible and into surreal.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004
Maybe Hong Kong needed another century of British rule.
Racism should be done politely- as the nobles of the realm would have it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hong Kong Defense League :china::arghfist::britain:

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Who would have though that football hooliganism could be such a deeply embedded cultural memory from the days of British colonialism.

[edit]

I am having trouble getting past 30,000 on that game.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jun 6, 2013

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

LP97S posted:

They've gone from making the movie Storm of the South Sea after stealing islands by force and now just make flash games about wanting to, man the propaganda isn't as good as it used to be.

Who exactly are the brave fishermen in this movie fighting? Are they supposed to be Americans or Japanese or maybe South Koreans...?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Tough posted:

Who exactly are the brave fishermen in this movie fighting? Are they supposed to be Americans or Japanese or maybe South Koreans...?

D. All of the above.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Barto posted:

Maybe Hong Kong needed another century of British rule.
Racism should be done politely- as the nobles of the realm would have it.

Filipinos are the Asian Man's Burden.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 23, 2021

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Is Xi seriously trying to level a (admittedly lovely) Domestic order program against a covert attack on a sovereign nation? Holy poo poo, so much for diplomacy.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Did you miss the part where it's pretty much just focusing on foreigners?

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

WarpedNaba posted:

Is Xi seriously trying to level a (admittedly lovely) Domestic order program against a covert attack on a sovereign nation? Holy poo poo, so much for diplomacy.

It's pretty much right out in the open that any tech coming from the US is used for spying now. You know all those fears of letting anything Chinese into US systems? It's kinda like that on a global scale with the US poo poo. For sake of national security concerns, any sane countries left out there should just be banning the hell out of all those imports and services or demanding they run through domestic servers isolated from US databases.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

WarpedNaba posted:

If Xi attacks Obama over internal communications survailance then I fully expect this earth to implode with irony.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

It's pretty much right out in the open that any tech coming from the US is used for spying now. You know all those fears of letting anything Chinese into US systems? It's kinda like that on a global scale with the US poo poo. For sake of national security concerns, any sane countries left out there should just be banning the hell out of all those imports and services or demanding they run through domestic servers isolated from US databases.

I'm curious about this, are there any documented intrusion cases strongly linked to the US government you could point me too? I know everyone involved in these kind of things likes to keep it quit, no government or business likes to admit it's been compromised. Stuxnet proved that the United States has a robust cyber-warfare wing and isn't afraid to employ it, but for obvious reasons that kind of thing doesn't get played up much in the states. Are there any particular recent cases I should know about?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

cafel posted:

I'm curious about this, are there any documented intrusion cases strongly linked to the US government you could point me too? I know everyone involved in these kind of things likes to keep it quit, no government or business likes to admit it's been compromised. Stuxnet proved that the United States has a robust cyber-warfare wing and isn't afraid to employ it, but for obvious reasons that kind of thing doesn't get played up much in the states. Are there any particular recent cases I should know about?

My guess is that either the US is so good at it that its rarely caught or its program exists but is nowhere near as massive as China's. Otherwise, wouldn't China counter with its own instances of US hacking (which I'm sure happen)?

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Vladimir Putin posted:

My guess is that either the US is so good at it that its rarely caught or its program exists but is nowhere near as massive as China's. Otherwise, wouldn't China counter with its own instances of US hacking (which I'm sure happen)?

Well thinking about it the idea just seems weird. Not to go all jingoistic, but a lot of the information reportedly being accessed are trade secrets, tech design and financial data and so much of that kind of thing originates in or passes into American hands that a dedicated program to steal other countries secrets doesn't seem necessary. I mean I wouldn't be surprised if that kind of thing occurs every once in a while, but a systematic and intentional program to do so seems like it wouldn't be worth the effort for the United States. Now national security concerns on the other hand, I could definitely see the US setting up programs to intrude on friends and enemies over that. I'm just wondering if there are any concrete examples. The US may have the resources to pull off that kind of program very well and under most peoples radar, but I don't believe it could be so completely slick that no one would find some trace of it to complain about. I mean Pro-PRC suggested that the US is spying on pretty much everyone in a major way, so I was wondering if there were wider circulating stories you don't here stateside.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Not that I'm aware of. But considering the different circumstances the US has less reason to do what China does. US spying is going to be more interested in gathering national intentions and possible "threats" in order to give an advantage to geopolitical moves. Every country does that, but the US doesn't have as much incentive to go stealing technology and whatnot since, for the moment, the US is still generally on top there. If the US does have a program as extensive as China's, then the US is much better at it because other than Stuxnet I can't think of any instance where it's leaked out, whereas China gets caught with their hand in the cookie jar like weekly.

As for the internet, as far as I know internet traffic still largely all passes through US servers at some point so you don't need to get your hardware into other people's poo poo, it's already being sent over.

I have no problem believing the US has massive spying programs going on, but I suspect a lot more US cyberwarfare effort is being spent on defense since the US is likely going to be the primary target for most countries. Lots of poo poo there to be stolen.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

cafel posted:

There are reasons why China developed their own OS for sensitive systems, and despite government having honestly pathetic security for public-facing servers, anything that has anything real on it is simply not accessible from the outside in any way. IP law in China is also pretty funny when it comes to software. If something is not offered with fully capability to China, or it's "landmined" to be self-crippling/disabling, it's perfectly legal to reverse engineer it, hack it, whatever to gain full capability and resell it all you want. Any traffic flowing through US servers is basically compromised, and the attacks on Apple make sense as well, given they threw their hats into the ring.

Vladimir Putin posted:

Strategy. The US can come out and make claims all day long about China, and anyone else, and for whatever reason it's believed even if the "evidence" given is pathetic. Go the other way and the response will just be a mix of laughter and "serves you right". Pentagon with it's own little "wu mao" (let's call it wu jiao) can be deployed to push the "right" message out there as well. Hacking coming from the US isn't going to be coming straight from the pentagon or military, it's going to be coming from contractors, and if, perchance they are actually caught red handed, it can be denied.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Note the story today from The Guardian about how Obama has been setting up a cyber attack framework for use inside and outside the US.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/07/obama-china-targets-cyber-overseas

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Stuxnet being made by a technologically sophisticated opponent of the Iranian nuclear program is no secret (:iiam:) - anyone with half decent computer engineers on payroll could run tests or confirm a superpower ally's experiment.

Just like the obvious simplicity of electronic surveillance (big data and complex systems, anyone?), and Israeli nuclear weapons - these are de facto 'public knowledge'. At some point you have to acknowledge the masses aren't blind and stupid in this shrinking world.

To be a fly on the wall with Xi and Obama, when the curtain comes down.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
China's Xi Jinping appears more Maoist than reformer so far

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-china-xi-20130608,0,2308743.story

quote:

One of his first acts as head of the Chinese Communist Party last year was to ban long speeches, banquets and red carpets.

But during his first months in power, Xi has proved himself more hard-line on a number of issues than his recent predecessors. He has tightened censorship in academia and the media, and spearheaded China's territorial assertions in the South China and East China seas. His first trip upon ascending to the presidency was to Russia.

Many analysts still believe that Xi, leader of the Communist Party for seven months and president for fewer than 100 days, is at heart a reformer, and they predict that side of him will emerge after he is established in office. But so far, the reformist element of the Communist Party is bitterly disappointed.

"He is falling back on nationalism, talking about making China the No. 1 superpower of the world," said Zhang Lifan, a Communist Party historian with ties to the leadership. "My generation has heard all these slogans before, and it really makes him sound like Mao again."

At a Politburo meeting in April, Xi announced an effort to reeducate party cadres, using language that harked back to Mao's "rectification" campaigns of the 1940s when he was consolidating power at his revolutionary base in Yanan.

Trying to boost morale in the military, Xi decreed all generals and officers above the rank of lieutenant colonel must do stints of at least 15 days as rank-and-file soldiers. Mao used almost exactly the same tactic in 1958.

In public speeches, Xi tends to elevate the Communist Party above the nation and even above the Chinese people. He's tried to clamp down on criticism of Mao.

"To completely negate Mao Tse-tung would lead to the demise of the Chinese Communist Party and to great chaos in China," Xi told a high-level forum in January, according to an article last month in Study Times, an official publication of the Central Party School in Beijing.

"...ideologically he is really a Maoist, who wants to maintain tight control over the party and the military and to put a freeze on Western values."

And like many of his generation, he was exiled to the countryside as a teenager in the 1966-76 Cultural Revolution under Mao

"He might be sincere in wanting to get rid of corruption, but the only way he knows how to do it is through the Maoist campaigns about purifying the minds of Communist cadres," Deng said. "He doesn't know how to apply Western democratic ideas."

Zhang, the historian, was even more pessimistic.

I don't know enough to guess whether or not he's "Maoist" in the typical dumbass Western sense, and I find it funny that Deng Yuwen's idea to fix corruption is to change to a political system like the US.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It is sort of bizarre how "maoist" has been completely unhinged from its economic/Marxist routes in that article. I guess Maoism now means nationalism, authoritarianism and state capitalism?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Welp guess we should settle in for another 10 years of China ignoring its deep-seated problems and spouting meaningless nationalist rhetoric. If the state can survive another 10 years of that. It probably can.

Living in a truly dysfunctional and corrupt state will make you appreciate American corruption.

Ardennes posted:

It is sort of bizarre how "maoist" has been completely unhinged from its economic/Marxist routes in that article. I guess Maoism now means nationalism, authoritarianism and state capitalism?

No frequently-used word in the Chinese political lexicon means anything anymore. 60 years of repressing freedom of speech combined with short-sighted and self-serving propaganda campaigns has warped the Chinese political vocabulary beyond recognition. Ask a Chinese person what "socialism" means and you usually get a blank stare. Words mean whatever the party wants them to mean at the time, which over the long run reduces them to meaning nothing.

Political language has been warped in the U.S. but again it's nothing compared to China.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 9, 2013

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

What do students in China learn in their political classes? I've been told that they've read excerpts of Marx and Lenin but people don't generally seem to know anything about it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

MeramJert posted:

What do students in China learn in their political classes? I've been told that they've read excerpts of Marx and Lenin but people don't generally seem to know anything about it.

What I really want to know is what a Ph.D in marxist ideology is like in china.
Which apparently president Jinping has.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MeramJert posted:

That's how my girlfriend treats it but she's a language major and not a political science major.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

quote:

Welp guess we should settle in for another 10 years of China ignoring its deep-seated problems and spouting meaningless nationalist rhetoric. If the state can survive another 10 years of that. It probably can.

They probably can, but it is becoming more and more apparent that the books have completely have been cooked about their economic data and that exports and growth have been slowing down more than people have thought. Granted, we don't really know what is going on but considering everything, I wouldn't be surprised if our expectations about China may based on faulty data.