Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Ok first off, if this is the wrong place, I apologize.

I am working full time now for a job I was a light "consultant" on before (basically just whatever tiny leftover tasks the regular IT guy had). My main role is tech support, so while I'm pretty ok with the basic ways a windows network functions, I'm not a formally trained network technician and I often lean heavily on internet guides. Before I came on, against my advice, they bought a Lion server for an offsite location because the mac server is tiny and space is a concern at this location. They wanted it to be an active directory server for the location Windows 2008 style. Since every other machine they own is a windows pc, between the previous IT guy and I, we were unable to get it to function in that capacity. The machine is now basically serving as a glorified NAS at the remote location, and a tool to theoretically manage our iphone profiles (as far as I can tell none of the company iphones ever ended up getting managed).

Basically that long preamble is to set up the question: is there a way I can integrate this into the main, main site network more? I seem to remember reading that Open Directory could sync with Active directory. Would this allow us to manage the users at the remote site?

I've tried to google but what I hit is either useless, old, or way over my head. I am sure this is too big a question to get too into depth to here, but pointing me towards some beginner guides for this sort of thing, recommending some books, or just giving me some terms to get google to give me this information. I don't know how to make a windows server sync up with a remote server either, to demonstrate my lack of expertise on this issue.

Rick fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Can I tell the App Store to quit bugging me about a certain update? I'm not going to update Xcode, but I get reminded every week.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Can I tell the App Store to quit bugging me about a certain update? I'm not going to update Xcode, but I get reminded every week.

Expand "more" if you see it in the App Store, then you will be able to right click on the app and select "Ignore Update" or something like that.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Rick posted:

Basically that long preamble is to set up the question: is there a way I can integrate this into the main, main site network more? I seem to remember reading that Open Directory could sync with Active directory. Would this allow us to manage the users at the remote site?

It's been a while since I'd used Lion, but yeah, you should be able to join it to the domain and have it act as a domain controller from Server.app. It may be buried as the version of Server.app in Lion was decent for basic tasks but needlessly opaque for more advanced ones.

If you dig around on Apple's support site, they should also still have PDF documentation about how to do it. I'll see if I can find it and edit a link in.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Molten Llama posted:

It's been a while since I'd used Lion, but yeah, you should be able to join it to the domain and have it act as a domain controller from Server.app. It may be buried as the version of Server.app in Lion was decent for basic tasks but needlessly opaque for more advanced ones.

If you dig around on Apple's support site, they should also still have PDF documentation about how to do it. I'll see if I can find it and edit a link in.

Thanks, even if you can't the Apple site is pretty decent resource and the knowledge that such a thing is possible makes me feel like I'm not wasting my time.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Rick posted:

Thanks, even if you can't the Apple site is pretty decent resource and the knowledge that such a thing is possible makes me feel like I'm not wasting my time.

Why not just install some flavour of Windows server on it via boot camp? Or is there something you need osx for?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

trinary posted:

Github wrote and open-sourced a thing that may help: http://boxen.github.com/

Very cool, thanks for sharing

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I finally took the plunge recently and bought a Mac. I'm currently in the process of transferring my files from my old Windows box to the Mac, and I've generally been able to figure out what I've needed to, but now I've run into a bit of a question: how do I sync wallpapers to my iPhone?

On Windows, I used to manage my photo library manually into folders, so I just had a folder for iPhone wallpapers. However, on the Mac I'm wanting to use iPhoto (despite the apparent reams of hate it gets), and it seems kind of wrong to me to put wallpapers there. But is that my only option? Is there anything fancy I can do with Dropbox (which I've poked around in to no success)?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I have a wallpaper folder in Drop box. Whenever I want to use an image I export it to the camera roll. Clunky, but without the ability to specify arbitrary folders in addition to iPhoto albums it does get the job done.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Axiem posted:

I finally took the plunge recently and bought a Mac. I'm currently in the process of transferring my files from my old Windows box to the Mac, and I've generally been able to figure out what I've needed to, but now I've run into a bit of a question: how do I sync wallpapers to my iPhone?

On Windows, I used to manage my photo library manually into folders, so I just had a folder for iPhone wallpapers. However, on the Mac I'm wanting to use iPhoto (despite the apparent reams of hate it gets), and it seems kind of wrong to me to put wallpapers there. But is that my only option? Is there anything fancy I can do with Dropbox (which I've poked around in to no success)?

All Dropbox does is sync files back and forth, there's no reasons you can't stick wallpapers in there and have them be accessible on your iPhone.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just use iPhoto. I made an album for iPhone photos, and select them from there.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WWDC thread is up and will be opened in the morning, if you want to bookmark it now.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

For some reason f.lux seems to make my second monitor not work. gfxcardstatus says it never shifts into the discrete cpu (But i'm not sure if 'doesnt detect second monitor' causes the non switching, or the other way around).

Am I the only one who gets this. This is during the day at full brightness too.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
This is bugging the hell out of me. How come, every time I right-click on the desktop to get to the Desktop and Screen Saver preferences, I have to do it twice before the preferences application actually starts?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

horse mans posted:

This is bugging the hell out of me. How come, every time I right-click on the desktop to get to the Desktop and Screen Saver preferences, I have to do it twice before the preferences application actually starts?

I have this same problem but when trying to change my background image :(

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

kloa posted:

I have this same problem but when trying to change my background image :(

That's what I'm talking about. Desktop -> Right Click menu -> "Change Desktop Background..." It's so strange.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Granite Octopus posted:

Why not just install some flavour of Windows server on it via boot camp? Or is there something you need osx for?

That isn't a bad idea at all. I was under the impression that you could only do Windows 7 or 8 but I guess it's just a case where those are the only things officially supported.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I'll be seriously considering getting a new MacBook Air, depending a bit on today's announcement.

This is an extremely low priority for me, but is the current Air decent for games at all? I would do very little, but I have always wanted to just play Starcraft and/Civ, but I never felt the need to get either a Mac Pro or whatever Windows device.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
If the new air is refreshed with Haswell the graphics performance should be at least tolerable for those games.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

EDIT: Apple ain't no bitch and used the HD5000, not HD4400, so existing benchmarks are for suckers like Acer.

DarkJC posted:

If the new air is refreshed with Haswell the graphics performance should be at least tolerable for those games.
It will only be about 15% faster judging on the Acer S7 review.

Duckman2008 posted:

I'll be seriously considering getting a new MacBook Air, depending a bit on today's announcement.

This is an extremely low priority for me, but is the current Air decent for games at all? I would do very little, but I have always wanted to just play Starcraft and/Civ, but I never felt the need to get either a Mac Pro or whatever Windows device.
Here's the benchies from the 2012 Air with a few games:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6063/macbook-air-13inch-mid-2012-review/6

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 10, 2013

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

DarkJC posted:

There are a range of Haswell graphics options. Everything should outperform HD4000, but some options are better than others. These graphics are a very rough guide, various sites have benchmarks that show the performance delta.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6926/intel-iris-iris-pro-graphics-haswell-gt3gt3e-gets-a-brand

The point is, if you're considering your laptop for gaming, you'll want to pay very close attention to the CPU included to make sure you get 5000-series graphics rather than the 4000-series. Or something with a dedicated GPU.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
There's different Haswell GPUs. I think the 15% improvement is the low level one, HD 4400, while there's also HD 5000 stuff available iirc, albeit with lower CPU clock rates.

(efb)

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Just chiming back in to say the new air has HD5000 graphics according to the spec sheet.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I read the s "Mavericks" to be plural and it's confusing the poo poo out of me, anyone else?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Sea Lion would've been a much better name.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
When they started mentioning California I thought they were going to adopt state names. USS Missouri? USS New York? OSX California! Perfect!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mavericks is such a dumb name.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Mavericks is such a dumb name.
I think it's fine but I also don't give a poo poo what my desktop OS is called.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I think it's fine but I also don't give a poo poo what my desktop OS is called.

I do when you have to say it all the time. 'Are you on Mavericks?'

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

I do when you have to say it all the time. 'Are you on Mavericks?'

Sounds like something a bad impression of Bill Cosby would say.

"Are you on the Mavericks? Zip zop zoobaty bob ahhhhhh."

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
"Yes, I'm on MaverOSX."

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
That word is permanently associated with Sarah Palin in my mind.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

That word is permanently associated with Sarah Palin in my mind.

Wasn't there a Mavericks gang tag at some point?

Miracle Max
May 26, 2005

You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
I'm calling it "ten nine". There is only one Maverick and he's got the need... the need for speed! Talk to me Goose!

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Now that they're on (or soon will be) OS X 10.9, what will they call the next release?

OS 11?

OS XI?

OS X 10.10?

They've kind of painted themselves into a corner.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mavericks_(location)

So OS X is now named after a beach which was named after a...dog.

Take that, cats :smugdog:

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Civil posted:

Now that they're on (or soon will be) OS X 10.9, what will they call the next release?

OS 11?

OS XI?

OS X 10.10?

They've kind of painted themselves into a corner.

OSX is way too good of a name to get rid of. It just plain looks and sounds good. All of the letters are easy on the eyes, and the X adds that pinch of badassness to it. When you see that X on a banner, you know exactly what it's alluding to. It's a marketer's dream. 10.10, 10.11, 10.359 -- that poo poo is for devs and nerds, not the average consumer. I think OSX as a brand is here to stay.

Butt Savage fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 10, 2013

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Is there any way to get the 10.9 developer preview working in Parallels? I just tried it and it won't boot off the App store disk image.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Sea Lion would've been a much better name.

I've got a feeling that if people just keep calling it sea lion, it could stick as a kind of nickname.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm going to just continue to call it Mac like I always have, and most people do. Mavericks is kinda a dumb name, and i'm sad that they ditched the big cats naming scheme finally. They least they could have done was go with puppies. Mac OS X German Shepard.