Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

EndOfTheWorld posted:

I wonder what the stats are for the tiny Klansman next to the Owlbear.

STR 12
DEX 14
CON 10
INT 0
WIS 0
CHA -2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

DrakePegasus posted:

STR 12
DEX 14
CON 10
INT 0
WIS 0
CHA -2

I think you need a Charisma of 1 to be able to distinguish the rest of the world from yourself, and that's basically all Klansmen are good at.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

D1Sergo posted:

I keep looking at it and seeing new monsters hidden in places that I missed before, very nice.

The grumpy rock is the best.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MikeJF posted:

The grumpy rock is the best.

He was the very last one I found.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Pope Guilty posted:

I think you need a Charisma of 1 to be able to distinguish the rest of the world from yourself, and that's basically all Klansmen are good at.

That's pretty much the defining personality characteristic of beholders, supremely precise racism.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

That's the only reason they don't rule the world. Each one is an artillery platform capable of dispatching armies of 1st level guys. A couple hundred would conquer everything if they didn't hate each other just as much.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

jng2058 posted:

That's the only reason they don't rule the world. Each one is an artillery platform capable of dispatching armies of 1st level guys. A couple hundred would conquer everything if they didn't hate each other just as much.

They are D&D's Daleks.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
In Spelljammer, the Beholders fly around in cone-shaped ships and can focus their eye-beams just like the Death Star. Spelljammer is a great setting.

Iggy Johnson
Mar 11, 2007

It doesn't work if you beg.
Just read through both Origin and Start and they were both pretty great, with Start obviously being the greater work. The last third of that book was so powerful and had some really intense moments that I can't wait to revisit the series with them in mind.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0892.html New Strip! Walled In.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
So, what're the odds looking like on the Order standing behind their illusory wall while the Linear Guild ends up having to face off against Xykon?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Not bad, but I'll bet you that Durkon sniffs them out because of his Dwarf Stone Sense.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Is anyone else jonesing really goddam hard for something to go right for the good guys? A Xykon/Linear Guild/Team Evil faceoff would just about do the trick.

It's going to be a long week or so until the next one.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

sebmojo posted:

Is anyone else jonesing really goddam hard for something to go right for the good guys?

The Linear Guild is going to cross that zap-line.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

nimby posted:

The Linear Guild is going to cross that zap-line.

Ahhhh yes, their trap finder is holed up watching fantasy tv, isn't she. Good catch.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
This is gonna be Roy's first time seeing Durkula. :smith:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kajeesus posted:

This is gonna be Roy's first time seeing Durkula. :smith:

The plot setup right now is like the cardhouse version of Gormenghast, isn't it? All these pennies waiting to drop:

-Xykon's arrival
-Tarquin's (probable) betrayal of Nale
-Durkula's release from thralldom
-V's arrival on the scene
-The fiend's making their play
-The nature of this gate
-The Order finding out about V's familicide/soul-selling
-Belkar biting it

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
To me the most obvious narrative route is to have the Linear Guild come in and the Order of the Stick manages to catch them on the back foot somehow to make it fairly even. Just as one side is about to get the advantage, boom, Xykon and co. show up to wreck some poo poo. But I'm biased because I just want to see Xykon and Tarquin go up against each other to see what tricks Tarquin has to defeat or retreat from an epic spell caster. Basically every time a new strip comes out I whine at the monitor 'When are they gonna get to the fireworks factory!'

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

cafel posted:

To me the most obvious narrative route is to have the Linear Guild come in and the Order of the Stick manages to catch them on the back foot somehow to make it fairly even. Just as one side is about to get the advantage, boom, Xykon and co. show up to wreck some poo poo. But I'm biased because I just want to see Xykon and Tarquin go up against each other to see what tricks Tarquin has to defeat or retreat from an epic spell caster. Basically every time a new strip comes out I whine at the monitor 'When are they gonna get to the fireworks factory!'

Without V they are ludicrously, hilariously outclassed. With V you can take away one of those adjectives.

But Roy's smart, and he is using his head right now; plus, per our favourite fleshless pedagogically-inclined psychopath, power is power. Could be they can take advantage of a trap or something to get the upper hand.

We can be confident the Linears won't just run away again though, they've already done that. So, what?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I'm always confused about what undead can and can't see. They're apparently immune to phatasms, will they even be able to see Elan's Silent Image?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

mmkay posted:

I'm always confused about what undead can and can't see. They're apparently immune to phatasms, will they even be able to see Elan's Silent Image?

Phantasms are mind-affecting. Illusions create an illusory not-substance which you perceive with your (fooled) senses.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Poor Nale, his ultimate fantasy isn't slaughtering his enemies, it'sfor his enemies to pay attention to him.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

greatn posted:

Poor Nale, his ultimate fantasy isn't slaughtering his enemies, it'sfor his enemies to pay attention to him.

Honestly for all the poo poo he's pulled over the years, I can't help but pity Nale a bit. He's such a complete pushover by this point that even he seems to realize it on some fundamental level and now daddy Tarquin's strolled in to steal what's left of his thunder.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

RandallODim posted:

So, what're the odds looking like on the Order standing behind their illusory wall while the Linear Guild ends up having to face off against Xykon?

Tarquin wears a Ring of True Seeing. Not terribly good unless he deliberately ignores them for some reason.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Archenteron posted:

Tarquin wears a Ring of True Seeing. Not terribly good unless he deliberately ignores them for some reason.

Depends on how big the chamber is. True Seeing only extends out to 120 ft., and they're entering on the opposite side. Even if they are in range, Tarquin is the type to let them go 'undetected' if it suits his inevitable plan to betray Nale.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Archenteron posted:

Tarquin didn't go down with them.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Yeah, and if Big X shows up right now you also don't have Tarquin around to try and schmooze his way into Xykon's good graces. You've got Malack who's in a bad mood and kind of hostile and Nale, who's incompetent. Result? FIGHT!

So there's a lot of different ways this could go, but I'm thinking that Xykon and the Linear Guild duke it out, the Order sneaks in for the surprise win, then Tarquin shows up with the rest of his team to do exactly what he promised.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I think that it will be V who shows up out of nowhere, under the spirits control. The Order sees him doing that behind their wall and then the plot goes from there after the gate is inevitably destroyed.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cliff Racer posted:

I think that it will be V who shows up out of nowhere, under the spirits control. The Order sees him doing that behind their wall and then the plot goes from there after the gate is inevitably destroyed.

The fiends' plot is a complete mystery right now, isn't it? Apart from that it involves the gates, and megadeath?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

sebmojo posted:

The fiends' plot is a complete mystery right now, isn't it? Apart from that it involves the gates, and megadeath?

And some chalice.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Possible, I guess, but I think that was just Quar. And he didn't know the fiends when they tempted V.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

Yeah, and if Big X shows up right now you also don't have Tarquin around to try and schmooze his way into Xykon's good graces. You've got Malack who's in a bad mood and kind of hostile and Nale, who's incompetent. Result? FIGHT!

Not to mention that Xykon doesn't give two flying shits about fellow evil-doers, especially overly-verbose ones like Malack, and Redcloak sees every last one as a tool to be manipulated regardless of its sentience. Could Redcloak steal thralled Durkon out from under Malack if he were to hypothetically enter the room right behind them? That'd definitely make Roy flip out and blow the party's cover.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Nah next page he says those 3 are not his regular supervisors.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 11, 2013

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

TunaSpleen posted:

Could Redcloak steal thralled Durkon out from under Malack if he were to hypothetically enter the room right behind them?
Strictly by the rules, probably not: an evil cleric commands those undead they would normally destroy with Turn Undead, but their level needs to be at least the undead's HD x2 to destroy them. Redcloak is probably not twice Durkon's level.

However, if Rich plays fast and loose with the rules, it's possible for Redcloak to command Durkon or even Malack himself. But that's unlikely because if he were playing that fast and loose, Redcloak could command Xykon and he doesn't.

e: but as you said, otherwise manipulating them into doing his bidding is definitely 100% up Redcloak's alley.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 11, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shwqa posted:

Nah next page he says those 3 are his regular supervisors.

Aren't. (Typo?)

Now he works for the trio though.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Aren't. (Typo?)

Now he works for the trio though.

Yeah for some reason I forget to make things negative pretty often. It really sucks on college finals :v:

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 11, 2013

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Just noticed something neat - in this strip, if you follow the word balloons of 'I got to spend time with him knowing, on some level, that he could be gone at any moment' you end up at ... Belkar.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
At the end of this arc I believe that the gate will function just like Durokans. And Belkar will be the one to touch it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Affi posted:

At the end of this arc I believe that the gate will function just like Durokans. And Belkar will be the one to touch it.

I don't think he'll use that exact trick twice. But Belkavian self sacrifice could well be a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Belkar has to not only die, but never get resurrected. I'm betting he goes through the gate and ripped up by the Snarl, destroying his soul. (At Dorukan's Gate Xykon was fried by the wards and never went into the gate itself, so his soul was fine)