Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Has any one done a good comparison of the Xpro1 to an Olympus OM-D? I am leaving the country (US) in two weeks and my wife has just authorized me to buy a new camera :o. I apologize if this is a rehash; I have read the first page and past 5 pages.

Currently using a GF1 that I have enjoyed since its release in 2009. My final verdict is that it has been just ok. It is awesome how small it is (compared to the D300 I had before!), but at the end of the day it has always felt like it is lacking something (a talented owner?).

I have been drooling over the Fuji Xpro1 since it was announced and that is my current target. Is there really an Xpro2 just around the corner? There was some mention of it in the past few pages, but I never got to the source.

edit: the body/lens combos for an Xpro1 on adorama and bhphoto are so cheap this is getting very hard to resist...

I own an OMD but while I don't have a X-Pro1, I do have a friend who has a X-E1. Looking at our images, I can only say that it really boils down to personal preference in handling. At this point I can't see a reason to buy the X-Pro1 or X-E1 unless you love the handling and cleaner images at high ISOs. With regards to X-E1 vs X-Pro1, I'd say there's very little reason to get the X-Pro1 in its current form. The only real advantage is the optical viewfinder but you're paying a really high premium for that. If you really must have an OVF, it would be better to wait for the X-Pro2 which should have all the new goodies from the X100s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

alkanphel posted:

I own an OMD but while I don't have a X-Pro1, I do have a friend who has a X-E1. Looking at our images, I can only say that it really boils down to personal preference in handling. At this point I can't see a reason to buy the X-Pro1 or X-E1 unless you love the handling and cleaner images at high ISOs. With regards to X-E1 vs X-Pro1, I'd say there's very little reason to get the X-Pro1 in its current form. The only real advantage is the optical viewfinder but you're paying a really high premium for that. If you really must have an OVF, it would be better to wait for the X-Pro2 which should have all the new goodies from the X100s.

There's also the ability to adapt older lenses and getting a more reasonably wide focal length.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Randuin posted:

There's also the ability to adapt older lenses and getting a more reasonably wide focal length.

Yes that's a valid point there though I didn't get the impression he was going to do that.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Also, if you're thinking about video, steer clear of this generation of fuji's in general. Crazy rolling shutter, no stabilization, poor AF. They are purely fantastic stills cameras.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Fujis also have amazing first-party lenses. The 14 and 35 are two of the best lenses I've ever used, and it feels really dirty to call the 18-55 a "kit" lens, it's that good. Not to mention most of them are $600, which is kind of a sweet spot for good lens prices for many people. But yeah, "quirky" defines these cameras to a T.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I had dismissed the X-E1 as it does not have an OVF, but perhaps that super high-resolution EVF is good enough. I am digesting the dpreview of it now...

Randuin, can you explain your point about adapting older lenses and the reasonable wide focal length? Are you saying that one of the two can adapt to more lenses? I have an OM adapter for the GF1 and lots of OM glass, and it seems like their is no shortage of adapters for either mount? And are you just referring to the 18mm fuji x lens, or the lower crop factor of the fujis?

I have no use for video recording, having only used the feature once on the GF1 to film some slow moving poo poo (literally) in the old Paris sewers.

Perhaps an X-E1 is a good compromise for now. If I enjoy it, I can think about the xpro2 when it becomes available.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I had dismissed the X-E1 as it does not have an OVF, but perhaps that super high-resolution EVF is good enough. I am digesting the dpreview of it now...

Randuin, can you explain your point about adapting older lenses and the reasonable wide focal length? Are you saying that one of the two can adapt to more lenses? I have an OM adapter for the GF1 and lots of OM glass, and it seems like their is no shortage of adapters for either mount? And are you just referring to the 18mm fuji x lens, or the lower crop factor of the fujis?

I have no use for video recording, having only used the feature once on the GF1 to film some slow moving poo poo (literally) in the old Paris sewers.

Perhaps an X-E1 is a good compromise for now. If I enjoy it, I can think about the xpro2 when it becomes available.

Make sure you try the EVF on the NEX and OM-D as well. The X-E1 EVF isn't the same quality. It feels a generation or so behind in refresh rate. I think Randuin is referring to the change in crop factor for APS-C vs m4/3 (1.5x vs 2x), which will give you a wider field of view with adapted glass vs. your current adaptation.

I had an X-E1, and it's a great camera if you like the Fuji system. It's a little small for my tastes, but try it in hand. Buy one with the 18-55 lens at the current discounts and you've got a hell of a deal. Add one of the specialized system lenses, like the 14, 60, or 35, and you're set.

Bonus, the IS on that 18-55 is fantastic. Man, I miss that lens.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

krooj posted:

Make sure you try the EVF on the NEX and OM-D as well. The X-E1 EVF isn't the same quality. It feels a generation or so behind in refresh rate. I think Randuin is referring to the change in crop factor for APS-C vs m4/3 (1.5x vs 2x), which will give you a wider field of view with adapted glass vs. your current adaptation.

I had an X-E1, and it's a great camera if you like the Fuji system. It's a little small for my tastes, but try it in hand. Buy one with the 18-55 lens at the current discounts and you've got a hell of a deal. Add one of the specialized system lenses, like the 14, 60, or 35, and you're set.

Bonus, the IS on that 18-55 is fantastic. Man, I miss that lens.

18-55 is a really awesome lens, hands down the best value in the bunch.

So is the 35 though the Zeiss is "better" at twice the price.

I would not purchase an X body since they all really need an upgrade to support phase-detect hybrid AF and to get a better EVF

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Lots of Olympus stuff on sale for the next week or two. Most of the bodies are 50-150 dollars off (including the OM-D), lots of lenses and accessories on sale too (the grip is $75 off!).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Mr. Despair posted:

Lots of Olympus stuff on sale for the next week or two. Most of the bodies are 50-150 dollars off (including the OM-D), lots of lenses and accessories on sale too (the grip is $75 off!).

...where?

edit-- oh, Getolympus.com

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

QPZIL posted:

...where?

edit-- oh, Getolympus.com

Well, everywhere. Amazon, BH, Adorama. Any licensed dealer will have the same sale price. Here's a link with a list of stuff, and what are probably referral links that I was trying to avoid posting.

http://www.43rumors.com/huge-olympus-us-deals-online-save-up-to-200-on-e-m5-e-pl5-and-many-lenses/

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oops, so the Leica M lens doesn't retract into the body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndDKD1etulM

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 11, 2013

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lol at the press release

quote:

The X Vario’s high performance image sensor is unusually large for a camera in its class. Combined with the Leica Vario Elmar 18-46 mm f/3.5-6.4 ASPH, it sets completely new standards for imaging quality in the compact segment with outstanding exposures in all situations. The Leica X Vario is the world’s first compact camera to combine a large, APS-C format, CMOS image sensor with a zoom lens.

THERE IS NO CAMERA LIKE THIS except for several models by numerous competitors which are roughly 20-30% of the price and have better, interchangeable lenses - hell, even the kit lenses for NX/NEX are faster at 50mm. But there's nothing quite like this!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
The world's first... thing that no one wants?

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
So as part of something for work I'm getting a $500 tech bonus I can use for something personal/tech related. I have an OM-D, and an assortment of lenses/accessories including the FL-600R flash, battery grip, 75mm 1.8 as bigger ticket items. If you had $500 to blow on the m43 system what would you spend it on?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Cru Jones posted:

So as part of something for work I'm getting a $500 tech bonus I can use for something personal/tech related. I have an OM-D, and an assortment of lenses/accessories including the FL-600R flash, battery grip, 75mm 1.8 as bigger ticket items. If you had $500 to blow on the m43 system what would you spend it on?

I'd either get the 60mm macro (if you want to shoot macro) or a 70-300 of some sort (if you want to shoot birds), maybe the 12mm if you can push the budget a bit to get the used on at keh.

Or use the money to pick up some adapter and lenses from other systems. The voigtlander 15mm is a fun lens, for example. Lots of options, all depends on what you want to shoot.

e. I ordered the 60mm macro the other day, gonna be fun when it shows up.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I just ordered the Fujinon 55-200 X-mount lens. Early reports say its super sharp and the only thing I've missed from my DSLR is a longer zoom. I don't know when B&H will have it to ship yet.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

60 macro is bloody awesome. You're going to love it! It's probably the best performing lens on my OMD now.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I hope so, I haven't been super happy with any of my reversed mount lens or extension tube options. Just not flexible or fast enough for a lot of these bugs out there.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I would still rate the X Vario above the Hassleblad Luna.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

HPL posted:

That's like saying cow poo poo stinks less than dog poo poo.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

HPL posted:

Nah, at least the Lunar can take Leica lenses.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Mightaswell posted:

Nah, at least the Lunar can take Leica lenses.
The Lunar, with the big grip and those new Zeiss primes, should be a pretty nice camera. Horribly overpriced and it kills the size advantage of the NEX, but at least it's functional and has potential.

Does anyone make a giant grip for the NEX-7 like the Lunar? It might be fun to make a ghetto Lunar. A Ghunar.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Bob Socko posted:

The Lunar, with the big grip and those new Zeiss primes, should be a pretty nice camera. Horribly overpriced and it kills the size advantage of the NEX, but at least it's functional and has potential.

Does anyone make a giant grip for the NEX-7 like the Lunar? It might be fun to make a ghetto Lunar. A Ghunar.

The only grips ive seen are these hilarious lookin ones http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fTxL-zfWVv8/TX0YUMTaBrI/AAAAAAAABiQ/lTQW3tJ6KL0/s1600/sony-nex-battery-grip-1.png

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I know of a good grip.

Only fits the om-d though :clint:

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

If the Lunar fixes the NEX-7 menus and makes it harder to push the video button, I'd consider it a worthy upgrade :colbert:

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

Mr. Despair posted:

I'd either get the 60mm macro (if you want to shoot macro) or a 70-300 of some sort (if you want to shoot birds), maybe the 12mm if you can push the budget a bit to get the used on at keh.

Or use the money to pick up some adapter and lenses from other systems. The voigtlander 15mm is a fun lens, for example. Lots of options, all depends on what you want to shoot.

I'd used the OM-D kit lens to do a couple macro shots here and there might definitely be an option. I've only really stepped up my interest in photography in the last year and a half so I've been staying with native lenses to keep things simple, but it might be fun to branch out. I could probably throw an extra couple hundred on top of the 500 to put me in the 700-800 range. Bleh, doesn't get you far, especially when one of your side interests is underwater photography.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Not sure if this has been posted in here .. but Samsung is adding a new mirrorless to the mix and it is powered by Android.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/06/13/here-are-the-first-pictures-of-samsungs-galaxy-nx/

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Not sure if this has been posted in here .. but Samsung is adding a new mirrorless to the mix and it is powered by Android.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/06/13/here-are-the-first-pictures-of-samsungs-galaxy-nx/

That would be just awful to use.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't really get the point of the device but it's interesting to see that it has a touchscreen and built-in viewfinder. At least it means Samsung's still dedicated to the NX mount.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Just what my camera needs, a rootkit and 3 clocks.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

QPZIL posted:

That would be just awful to use.

I feel the same way. I'm not really sure what Samsung is intending to do besides turn everything into an Android powered device. Looked like zero physical controls besides a power button and shutter release, so yeah, just a turd in shining armor.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Actually it's a really smart move on their part. They just made the computer an optional part of the workflow and added a software platform that nobody else in the ILC market can touch. "Upload straight to instagram or facebook or whatever new hotness you kids are using" is a feature that I bet will win over a lot of people, especially as kids who grew up with those programs start to upgrade from cameraphones.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Spime Wrangler posted:

Actually it's a really smart move on their part. They just made the computer an optional part of the workflow and added a software platform that nobody else in the ILC market can touch. "Upload straight to instagram or facebook or whatever new hotness you kids are using" is a feature that I bet will win over a lot of people, especially as kids who grew up with those programs start to upgrade from cameraphones.

Smart move if they don't screw it up with updates. Samsung hasn't had the best track record in bug free android releases.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

They've released camera like this before too, none of them have been great.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I think the exciting part is that potentially, people can create new apps that use the camera - which is in effect like being able to have really good custom firmware to your normal camera.

I mean, compare some of the iPhone camera apps to the firmware on your DSLR or EVIL, it makes them look positively stone age.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Samsung still have to write most of the camera apps. Current android photos apps are not suitable for advanced cameras. For example the Time Lapse apps doesn't have enough control.

Why doesn't Samsung just go the easy route and copy Sony and offer good MF assistants and put normal hotshoe on all models? this is what the photographers want.

edit: Samsung make phones and tablets in every size and form factor ever, plus cameras from pocket zoom to APSC system. All people want is an Android phone with a 808 type fixed sensor. This just show you the division is not run by camera people.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 13, 2013

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Does anyone know how to factory reset a Panasonic GF1? Google only mentions the reset option in the tools which menu simply puts all the values at their default, but still keeps the time/date, etc. I want the next person to turn it on to be presented with the initial configuration menu as if it was fresh out of the box.

I am not trying to trick anybody, but it would be nice if they could have the full experience :).

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

whatever7 posted:

All people want is an Android phone with a 808 type fixed sensor.

Yeah, why the gently caress DOESN'T Samsung have a phone like this yet? They've got the R&D muscle to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

It's a camera-phone