Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

anime and cars posted:

They realy need to add some new tracks tbh and im not talking about more fictional ones like the prague street circuit featured in the trailer.

How bloody hard is it to get licences for stuff like the obvious spa, bathurst and brands.

It's not hard at all, judging by how many other racing games feature those tracks. I remember after Forza 3 released there was a poll on the official forums regarding what tracks people wanted to see in Forza 4, with Spa and Bathurst being at the top (I think?) but for whatever reason, Turn 10 decided that they didn't want to put those tracks into the game.

I'd hope that at the very least Forza 5 will feature dynamic time of day effects for nightracing, along with rally racing too, since Playground Games did all the work on integrating those features into the Forza engine when they made Forza Horizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
Forza 5, Star Wars Battlefront and COD Ghost, gently caress.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Cojawfee posted:

My main problem is they haven't given us any info.

I think this is the big thing. Like, we know CoD will have a dog, but we barely know one track that's in Forza 5. iirc, at this time in Forza 4's release schedule Turn 10 was doing a weekly "reveal" of cars included in the game, and I think we knew that the Snakes were out.

Also, while the focus has been on the Xbone, I'm picking up hints that the 360 won't be dead once November rolls around. I'm wondering if we'll see something like the PS2/PS3, where Sony kept releasing games and supporting the PS2 well after the PS3 release. Would be nice, because I like the idea of being able to switch from the crossbone to the 360 on a moment's notice.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

I remember us saying that for Forza 4 though, when Turn-10 revealed just Kinect integration, and improved driving model at E3, and that turned out to be the only new additions to the game, besides 5 new tracks.

Rivals was a Forza 4 addition. I'd say that was pretty groundbreaking, even if they didn't use it as fully as I'd hoped.

Definitely need more tracks, and bring back the ones that got dropped over the years.

Sadly, it would seem that getting licenses to recreate private property in your for-profit venture is a little harder than just having a poll on a web forum.
Alternately, Turn 10 steadfastly refuses to add all the desired real-world tracks for the sole reason of pissing off their fans. It's one of the two of these.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
^ If the discussion in the iRacing community by its developers holds any truth, then securing the rights for Bathurst was an absolute legal nightmare. I am sure Turn10 would suffer a similar fate, and I have no idea how Polyphony was able to grab it. Maybe a lot of money on top, who knows, or Kaz worked his charms. :wink:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

YF19pilot posted:

Also, while the focus has been on the Xbone, I'm picking up hints that the 360 won't be dead once November rolls around. I'm wondering if we'll see something like the PS2/PS3, where Sony kept releasing games and supporting the PS2 well after the PS3 release. Would be nice, because I like the idea of being able to switch from the crossbone to the 360 on a moment's notice.

The beginning of MSFT's conference mentioned that there will be new games coming out for 360 for at least the next 12 months. World of Tanks is coming as well as GTAV. I don't know what will be coming out after Xbone is released, but I'm assuming cheaper games by smaller studios. It's still possible to make decent looking games for 360, so I'm guessing companies that can't afford a license for Xbone but still want a console release.

Edit: I really just want to see COTA in a game (besides SimRaceway which sucks).

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
The reason Turn-10 doesn't add a lot of requested features is that they don't want to over-pollute their title that could potentially make it a cheap experience. It took until the fourth Forza to have 16 player lobbies, the third Forza had well-developed tire deformation and physics. Then there's car soccer, Kinect integration, World Tour, etc. It's all very gradual so that the development team isn't entirely overwhelmed and to create a stable product.

The Driveatar thing is a good idea that will probably be only the "new" feature, while we'll see just cars with higher fidelity and graphical detail, more tracks with more action on the sidelines and all that jazz. I'd be absolutely amazed if they fixed the pit-stops, the ridiculous amount of gas-saving a lot of the cars have, and a "track day".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I hope we can get some sort of confirmation that fuel use and tire wear were fixed. That was the dumbest thing in 4. I want to be able to short fuel cars so we can force pit stops in races.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Bring back Amalfi Coast Full Ciruit :mad:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

L_Harrison posted:

^ If the discussion in the iRacing community by its developers holds any truth, then securing the rights for Bathurst was an absolute legal nightmare. I am sure Turn10 would suffer a similar fate, and I have no idea how Polyphony was able to grab it. Maybe a lot of money on top, who knows, or Kaz worked his charms. :wink:

Codemasters, EA and Slightly Mad Studios didn't seem to have any difficulty licensing the track, but I suppose that you could argue it must be a lot tougher for Turn 10, especially since Microsoft are so poor.

Besides, it's not like Turn 10 could even base a fictional track off the design of the course either. I mean sure that's exactly what they did in the first Forza Motorsport, but still...

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Cojawfee posted:

The beginning of MSFT's conference mentioned that there will be new games coming out for 360 for at least the next 12 months. World of Tanks is coming as well as GTAV. I don't know what will be coming out after Xbone is released, but I'm assuming cheaper games by smaller studios. It's still possible to make decent looking games for 360, so I'm guessing companies that can't afford a license for Xbone but still want a console release.

Edit: I really just want to see COTA in a game (besides SimRaceway which sucks).

I'll be honest, I'm totally stoked for WoT coming to 360. Especially since I'll probably be using my 'drafting/gaming PC' funds to get the Xbone.

As for future Forzas, I just want open-wheeled cars and DIS, but I imagine that ISC would probably ask some ridiculous royalties or demands for including one of their tracks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

MUFFlNS posted:

Codemasters, EA and Slightly Mad Studios didn't seem to have any difficulty licensing the track, but I suppose that you could argue it must be a lot tougher for Turn 10, especially since Microsoft are so poor.

Besides, it's not like Turn 10 could even base a fictional track off the design of the course either. I mean sure that's exactly what they did in the first Forza Motorsport, but still...

Is any part of Bathurst still public roads? You can't copyright public roads. Though, SMS isn't above making real tracks and giving them fake names. Most of their tracks are real tracks with generic names. I'm not sure if they plan on getting licenses later or not. Maybe they are as they are going through the trouble of licensing some of their tracks.

If this whole Kinect 2 spying thing dies down and Forza 5 gets realistic fuel and tires and we get open wheelers (especially some classing open wheelers, I don't care what ones, they are all amazing) I'll consider getting it. Even if I can't use a wheel.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

It is a public road actually. Bathurst is the name of a race anyways, it's not the name of the track, which is actually called Mount Panorama.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Badned posted a bunch of stuff that he thinks are definitely in, rather than conjecture.

• Hundreds of next-generation cars.The most diverse lineup of vehicles ever seen in a "Forza Motorsport" game: from classic sports cars to modern tuners, purpose-built racers to extreme exotics and, for the first time in "Forza Motorsport," open-wheel race cars.

• Unique careers.Take your favorite cars through unique careers highlighting their greatest strengths, their most notorious rivals and their place in motorsport history.

• Laser-scanned tracks.Drive the world’s most legendary race circuits and exotic road courses, captured with millimeter accuracy.

http://www.forzacentral.com/forum/threads/fm5-e3-screens-trailer-info.39409/

No word on whether there will be a "Drive an Elise on Wooden Tires against scripted video game level opponents" feature

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
So does this:

quote:

• Dynamic damage.High-resolution damage modeling shows every bump and scrape. Roads accumulate tire rubber and debris. Racing has consequences; damage can stop you in your tracks.

mean that tracks accumulate "marbles" on the off-lines? That could make for some interesting racing, especially in pubbie lobbies.

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

So does this:

mean that tracks accumulate "marbles" on the off-lines? That could make for some interesting racing, especially in pubbie lobbies.

Tire skid marks are now powered by The Cloud! Persistent tire marks throughout your Forza Motorsport career.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

YF19pilot posted:

So does this:

I think so. If you look at the E3 youtube video, it certainly looks the the cars are picking up debris from the track. It could just be entirely cosmetic but maybe it will also accumulate on your windshield in cockpit view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPWNXcW4EGs

(taken from the 57 second mark of the video)

Aardmania fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 11, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If it does mean that, super cool. For now, I'm assuming it's the same as when someone goes offtrack in multiplayer races and leaves skidmarks on the track. It's visual, but track conditions don't change. If it is true, I hope they include getting the tires dirty when going off track and having to spend half a lap scrubbing pebbles out of your tires.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Hopefully we'll see more details soon, as I'm not sold on FM5 yet. It looks amazing graphically, but I remember how FM3 wasn't that much better than FM2, save for the cockpit view, and I'm worried that FM5 isn't going to be that much more advanced than FM4, at least not enough to be worth plunking down $560. The cloud drivatar thing seems to mean it's always going to have to be online, and I'm not looking forward to being unable to play "offline" races on those occasions when my internet connection goes to poo poo. That combined with the used games situation and what will happen to the XBone at its end of life (will MS cease XBone cloud operations when the XBone2-720whatever comes along, effectively bricking the console?) has really made me wary of buying an XBone all together.

If it turns out PS4 is going to be more used-game friendly, and not be so dedicated to a mostly-online experience, I'm really considering buying a PS4 this time around. The Forza Motorsport series is the only MS-exclusive thing these days that I'm really interested in, and what's been released so far about FM5 hasn't fully convinced me that it will be enough to keep me in the fold. I've been getting more and more interested in a few Sony-exclusive titles and franchises in the last couple of years.

FM5 really needs to address things that the series has kind of let languish, like expanding pit stops and making car damage/wear/fuel consumption more of a factor in some races, revamping the livery editor, improving the car modification process, environmental changes, and making the game economy really mean something rather than just an annoyance that keeps you from the most expensive cars. If the only big changes are that it's prettier and they've made all the AI into drivatars (which I'm not sold on, considering how useless drivatars have been in previous FM incarnations), then I'm going to be on the fence.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
GT6 looked pretty amazing. But it's always looked amazing, hopefully their on-screen claims ("an actual physics model this time") aren't like the E3 GT5 on-screen claims.

Could be a great year of racing gaming this year, with The Crew and Drive Club also looking interesting. (Need for Speed still looks terrible)

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
It's gonna be hard to find people to play Forza with after that Sony conference. I might be one of few that actually has it.

Goddamn :smith:

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

L_Harrison posted:

It's gonna be hard to find people to play Forza with after that Sony conference. I might be one of few that actually has it.

Yeah that was brutal. Forza 4 might be the last Forza for me

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

L_Harrison posted:

Now I don't have to feel bad about skipping the Xbox One. I'm sorry, but there is just no way I can buy that system anymore. Not after that Sony conference. I'll still play Forza 4, but Microsoft just has done zero to sell me on their new console.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

L_Harrison posted:

Yeah, watching that I pretty much bid farewell to Forza. I just don't think I can sell myself on an Xbone despite how much I like Forza.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

JaysonAych posted:

If it turns out PS4 is going to be more used-game friendly
Here ya go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

If Sony confirms that I can use my Fanatec on the PS4, and the Xbone doesn't change their ways, I can see myself switching to the dark side. Console exclusives are getting more and more rare and to the point where they're glorified fan-fiction that you just read on Wikipedia. It'd be sad to leave the Forza Family but it'd be Microsoft's doing.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

L_Harrison posted:

Yeah. See you all in Gran Turismo 7! I love Forza, but I don't love it THAT much.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Project CARS looks really good too, and seems to have a much heavier focus on racing and the kind of features that enhance the on-track experience :)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's really good, I just enjoy driving the cars around and doing hotlaps. I leave all my racing to iRacing. And I highly doubt a fanatec wouldn't work on a PS4. All the fanatec wheels work on PS3 (even the CSW) so changing that for the PS4 would be stupid.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Hahaha well, that as well as all of the other revelations will make my decision quite easy indeed.

I stood in line outside a Gamestop at midnight to get the original Xbox at launch and have been a pretty ardent supporter of both Microsoft consoles since then (I like my PS2 as well, but I never played it all that much), but MS has clearly lost their way. Unless MS realizes what a huge mistake they've made and makes some big changes (which are likely too late to make), Kaz is getting my $400.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

JaysonAych posted:

Unless MS realizes what a huge mistake they've made.
I had an Arrested Development moment there. Thanks for that.

There's no way I'm going to get a $560 ForzaBox. I didn't get a 360 until Christmas 2010, and the only games that I've consistently played on it are Forza, Horizon, You Don't Know Jack, and

...Dance Central....

HEY, White boy actually got some moves. I never knew that.

I'll get a Roku for Netflix and Hulu and spend the other $461 bux upgrading my PC.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 11, 2013

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
PS4 will probably let you use your Fanatec equipment too as well as G25/G27/DFP.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Forza sales suffer due to Xbone, team is dismantled, remnants join PD and create Forza Turismo.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

All the fanatec wheels work on PS3 (even the CSW) so changing that for the PS4 would be stupid.
You could say that sounds like something Microsoft would do :downs:

I know I was being an Xbone/FM5 stan just a few hours ago, but Sony absolutely KILLED IT with their conference. I had always been a GT fan until 5 was terrible and I picked up FM4, but I have a sneaking suspicion I might go with the PS4 now instead of the Xbone. Sounds like a lot of you might be doing the same. It is early, and time will tell, but the deck certainly looks stacked in Sony's favor at this point.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Ringo Star Get posted:

Forza sales suffer due to Xbone, team is dismantled, remnants join PD and create Forza Turismo.

Man, it sure would be nice to race around Maple Valley and Bernese Alps in a GT game with all the perks that would entail :allears:

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

JaysonAych posted:

Kaz is getting my $400.

Hey now, GT6 is coming out on PS3. You'll only have to spend $60 :unsmith:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ringo Star Get posted:

We just need to pray that Forza 5 is a Windows game. :/

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

You could say that sounds like something Microsoft would do :downs:

I know I was being an Xbone/FM5 stan just a few hours ago, but Sony absolutely KILLED IT with their conference. I had always been a GT fan until 5 was terrible and I picked up FM4, but I have a sneaking suspicion I might go with the PS4 now instead of the Xbone. Sounds like a lot of you might be doing the same. It is early, and time will tell, but the deck certainly looks stacked in Sony's favor at this point.

I cannot see any reason why anyone would choose the Xbone over the PS4 right now. I hate saying goodbye to Forza, but the PS4 is better in every way except for the controller than the Xbone.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I said come in! posted:

We just need to pray that Forza 5 is a Windows game. :/

It's called Assetto Corsa, CARS, iRacing, rFactor, and Finlay's Fathom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Hm, $500 for an Xbone and $500 for yet another goddamn wheel?

Or $400 for a PS4 and my Fanatec still works including on my HTPC and I spend the rest on blow and hookers?

HMMMMM

edit: I just pre-ordered a ps4

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 11, 2013

• Locked thread