Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Does Josh Hartnett look at Ethan Hawke's career and say, "Are those the movies I'll be doing?"

Has Josh Hartnett done anything recently? The last movie I remember seeing him in was 30 Days of Night and that's like half a decade old now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Does Josh Hartnett look at Ethan Hawke's career and say, "Are those the movies I'll be doing?"

Yeah, Hartnett used to be a big thing. I know he's got a Roland Joffe project he's starring in this year, but Hawke seems like he's in almost everything now, including another (and probably the last) Richard Linklater's Before... movie. Also, Hawke's got a good 8 years on Hartnett.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Young Freud posted:

It's an international film adaptation of a French science-fiction novel, with a Korean director (Joon-ho Bong, of The Host) and an English-speaking cast (Chris Evans, Tilda Swanson, Ed Harris, and John Hurt).

I'd happily watch anything that director makes and although I usually hate character posters these ones are gorgeous.

Ed Harris and John Hurt in the same movie. Going to be pretty drat crusty!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, Hartnett used to be a big thing. I know he's got a Roland Joffe project he's starring in this year, but Hawke seems like he's in almost everything now, including another (and probably the last) Richard Linklater's Before... movie. Also, Hawke's got a good 8 years on Hartnett.

It just feels like they are the same type of actor so they'd be expected to do the same type of movies. Dillon is the same way and Hawke is right now doing roles Dillon used to get, would have got or is getting. So I just see Josh Hartnett as a relatively popular actor back in the day whose face is probably just starting to look 30 something and so that's likely to lead to these kind of roles.

You know, like how Costner and Ford were always up for the same roles or how any movie Matt Damon does, you could see them trying to cast Mark Whalberg for it and vice versa.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Vagabundo posted:

Has Josh Hartnett done anything recently? The last movie I remember seeing him in was 30 Days of Night and that's like half a decade old now.

The only movie of his I've seen since that one is Girl Walks Into A Bar, and I can't even remember his role in it if that tells you anything.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
I thought Josh Hartnet just changed his name to Chaning Tatum.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

schwenz posted:

I thought Josh Hartnet just changed his name to Chaning Tatum.

Hartnett is a mediocre actor who just lucked out on a few entertaining movies. Tatum went from having absolutely zero acting ability to proving he had some comedic chops and sweet dance moves. Plus his name is so awesome. It's like, better than any fake Action movie protagonist name.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
Is it Hartnet or Tatum that plays Thor?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Will Hartnett be in the next Sin City movie? I mean if that's still even coming out. Seriously the status/story/cast/best boy of that movie changes on a daily basis.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I may get the chance to meet William Shatner in August, I think I may find a copy of this to have him sign - the story of the time when the President of the United States got kidnapped by terrorists in Toronto, and only Secret Service agent Shatner can get him back:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Aatrek posted:

I may get the chance to meet William Shatner in August, I think I may find a copy of this to have him sign - the story of the time when the President of the United States got kidnapped by terrorists in Toronto, and only Secret Service agent Shatner can get him back:

Haha do it. That or Star Trek V.

Saw him at a convention recently and a friend got him to sign a Zapp Brannigan glossy, also signed by Billy West. He feigned* ignorance of the show, despite doing an entire episode of it.

*probably

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Hartnett is a mediocre actor who just lucked out on a few entertaining movies. Tatum went from having absolutely zero acting ability to proving he had some comedic chops and sweet dance moves. Plus his name is so awesome. It's like, better than any fake Action movie protagonist name.
John Matrix. :colbert:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Maybe when Commandos first came out, but now I just picture a nerd in a huge trench coat that shouts things like "ENTER ON-LINE" as he vaporizes and merges with the internet and surfs on the "information superhighway".

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Has Arnold ever had an Austrian name in an American film?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I think we're forgetting that there's an actor called "Armie Hammer" in films these days.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Chief posted:

I don't think he's ever had a movie acknowledges his accent. Same thing with Van Damme.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Didn't Arnold play an immigrant in The Last Stand?

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

muscles like this? posted:

I don't think he's ever had a movie acknowledges his accent. Same thing with Van Damme.

If I remember correctly, they had some line like "When I grew up in Austria..." in Commando, when Arnie is talking to Alyssa Milano in the beginning. I am sure of it. Or I might have dreamt it. Either way, it happened.

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.

Kush posted:

If I remember correctly, they had some line like "When I grew up in Austria..." in Commando, when Arnie is talking to Alyssa Milano in the beginning. I am sure of it. Or I might have dreamt it. Either way, it happened.

It did: "You know when I was a boy and rock'n'roll came to East Germany, the communists said it was subversive."

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Didn't they attribute Arnold's accent and overly manly look while he was cross dressing in Junior to him living next to an Austrian nuclear power plant or something?

Why do I know this...

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I think we're forgetting that there's an actor called "Armie Hammer" in films these days.

I still think "Lex Shrapnel" has him beat.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Same thing with Van Damme.

Almost every Van Damme movie aknowledges his accent and tries to come up with some explanation. From what I can gather the most common explanation is that he's French, from Canada (the French parts) or the French quarters of New Orleans.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The last thing I saw Harnett in was the absurd, generally not-great Bunraku.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1181795/

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Armand Hammer, actually.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Almost every Van Damme movie aknowledges his accent and tries to come up with some explanation. From what I can gather the most common explanation is that he's French, from Canada (the French parts) or the French quarters of New Orleans.

In Kickboxer he says he grew up in Belgium.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Always liked this one:

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

(Red Heat)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mister Chief posted:

Hello, Miss Madigan. Arnold Braunschweiger.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Armand Hammer, actually.

Why don't you rub it in that he's a multi-billionaire's grandson? :argh:

(Seriously, Arm & Hammer wasn't named after him, it was a coincidence, but Armand ended up buying an interest in the company because it matched his name.)

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Barometer posted:

(Red Heat)

Don't get your hopes up people, it's Jim Belushi.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Always liked this one:

This poster is inaccurate. It should have Ron Perlman sniffing his fingers or eating or some poo poo.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Tatum went from having absolutely zero acting ability to proving he had some comedic chops and sweet dance moves. Plus his name is so awesome. It's like, better than any fake Action movie protagonist name.

Barometer posted:

(Red Heat)

It ain't better than Rude Horko.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Mondo's doing Man of Steel posters, and the one I want is NOT a limited print run.

(The one I want is the good looking one.)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

The MSJ posted:

Maybe when Commandos first came out, but now I just picture a nerd in a huge trench coat that shouts things like "ENTER ON-LINE" as he vaporizes and merges with the internet and surfs on the "information superhighway".
The Matrix will be forgotten, while John Matrix is forever.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Mondo Man of Steel posters:

First up, this incredibly boring piece (and its variant) from Ken Taylor:

quote:

Poster by Ken Taylor
Dimensions: 20″x36″
Edition: 300 (Regular) ; 150 (Variant)
Price: $50 (Regular) ; $75 (Variant)

On sale Thursday, June 13th at a random time at https://www.mondotees.com[/quote]

And then this very nice looking, but still flawed (what is wrong with Jor-El and Faora's faces!?) poster from Martin Ansin (and its metal variant):

quote:

Poster by Martin Ansin
Dimensions: 24″x36″
Edition: Regular edition TBD ; 130 (Metal Variant)
Price: $50 (Regular) ; $300 (Metal Variant)
For the second, Mondo is going to be selling the regular edition for three days starting Monday June 17th. This means there's no artificial print run of it, and you don't need to rush to get it. You have until the 20th to buy it at any time you please.
The metal one will be sold Mondo's regular bullshit way on Friday.

e:fb

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 11, 2013

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

flashy_mcflash posted:

The last thing I saw Harnett in was the absurd, generally not-great Bunraku.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1181795/

Every time I see someone mention this I get really excited, then I remember its not actually a movie about bunraku. :(

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
Movie titles get one !, but reality shows get three!!!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Well, that poster does what it probably set out to do: Set the record for the most exclamation points on a movie poster.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Mondo sucks poo poo but dear GOD this is stunning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

dshban posted:

Movie titles get one !, but reality shows get three!!!

You know, if I ran a company called "familyfunfeatures" making, what I assume are family films, I would at least familiarize myself with the films that I am giving the cast credit for before slapping them on the poster.

Lynn Lowry: "The Crazies" may sound like a family film involving some wacky hijinks, but wait 'til they get to the part where her plague infection character has sex with her own father!

Then again, "The Crazies" is a film, and they are a family, and that is the most wacked up hijinks there could possibly be.

So maybe it is appropriate.