Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Falken posted:

PS4 will probably let you use your Fanatec equipment too as well as G25/G27/DFP.
No because like the Xbone the PS4 has a new format for their controllers so you can't use your existing ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Except that ever since the PS2, driving controllers for Playstation have been USB HID based, and not the Playstation protocol. The original Logitech GT force feedback wheel was literally their PC wheel at the time with blue plastic instead of red - in fact at one point we had one of each, and you could use them interchangeably between PC and PS2.

The Driving Force GT for the PS3 is also USB, and it's what I bought for all of $80 or so to play iRacing. I think technically the old one from the PS2 still works on the PS3 even.

If the PS4 has USB ports - and why would they drop them now - then I would absolutely 100% expect them to continue supporting USB HID wheels.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
So, you guys mostly hated GT5, but now you're all, "gently caress XBone and Forza 5, what have they done for me lately? PS4 all the way!"

I'll be back for the tears.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
To be fair, it's not "gently caress Forza 5" at all, just "gently caress Xbone". It's not like there aren't plenty of reasons to give the Xbone a pass either.

That said, I don't think anyone is really disappointed in what we've seen of Forza 5 so far. It's just that nobody seems to think Forza 5 is worth $500 and the mountain of bullshit MS is going to heap on you.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dr. Faustus posted:

So, you guys mostly hated GT5, but now you're all, "gently caress XBone and Forza 5, what have they done for me lately? PS4 all the way!"

GT5 was one bad game in a series of really great games. I got my start at these kinds of racing games with the first Gran Turismo and loved the hell out of it and everything that came after until GT5. Also, to their credit with GT5, Polyphony has done a lot to the game since release to address some things and have supported it a lot better than Turn 10 has with Forza; for example, Forza still has the hardlocking issue that's bee around since Forza loving 2. 6 goddamn years and they still haven't sorted that out.

Combine all of this with the fact that the PS4 will be cheaper, significantly more powerful, allow you to use that $500 Fanatec you bought, and doesn't treat every consumer like a criminal, and I just fail to see any reason to buy an Xbox One over it.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
This is the the PS4's entrance theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_XOVh-cDtk

Right before it tombstones the Xbone so it can rest in peace.

(Xbone was a really lovely gimmick wrestler)

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I didn't watch the whole press conference, but yeah, if the PS4 was the same price as the Xbone I could make a better argument of staying MS. Maybe I'll say 'gently caress it', but the PS3 GTAV bundle so I can nab GT6 (I missed GT5 this time around), and just wait-and-see for the first year or two. Besides, I didn't get a 360 out of the box either.

(Also, PS4 confirmed region free makes it even harder to not get. I love Forza, but...Gundam...it beckons)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

I don't know what that has to do with anything. Forza is still awesome, i'm not hating on the series just because Microsoft got super arrogant. Forza is amazing and provides a racing game that is very unique and you can't get anywhere else. People can name drop other alternatives all they want, but none of them are Forza and never will be. But i'll be damned if I am going to willingly support Microsoft's new console, none of that stuff they have in it is okay.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dr. Faustus posted:

No, it's mostly just "gently caress xbone." I love Forza and really want to play Forza 5, but if the console it's on sucks, I'll have to give it up.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Cannot Find Server posted:

I cannot see any reason why anyone would choose the Xbone over the PS4 right now. I hate saying goodbye to Forza, but the PS4 is better in every way except for the controller than the Xbone.

I imagine the PS4 will get third party controllers that are very similar to the 360 controller, considering the PS3 already has them, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. In fact, I think you can even buy an adapter to use the 360 controller with the PS3.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cannot Find Server posted:

GT5 was one bad game in a series of really great games.

Eh, GT4 was pretty drat bad too. No damage and invisible walls everywhere, it was behind the times from the moment it came out. It just didn't yet have any console competition, but those of us who came from PC racing were still disappointed in it. Then Forza came and showed how to do console racing right, and the rest is history.

But yea, the bad mood in this thread right now is by no means anti-Forza or pro-GT, it's just the mountain of disappointment we're experiencing over the fact that what looks like a great successor to a game many of us have put real life weeks in to is tied to a platform which for entirely non-technical reasons has become less appealing than a crate full of squid guts.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
GT1, 2, and 3 were godlike though. I also enjoyed Sega GT, so what do I know!

edit: Let's all switch over to iRacing :cool:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would go back to iRacing if I still had my wheel with me. :( its at my parents house while I am 2 1/2 hours away in college. I don't really have room for it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

wolrah posted:

Eh, GT4 was pretty drat bad too. No damage and invisible walls everywhere, it was behind the times from the moment it came out. It just didn't yet have any console competition, but those of us who came from PC racing were still disappointed in it. Then Forza came and showed how to do console racing right, and the rest is history.

But yea, the bad mood in this thread right now is by no means anti-Forza or pro-GT, it's just the mountain of disappointment we're experiencing over the fact that what looks like a great successor to a game many of us have put real life weeks in to is tied to a platform which for entirely non-technical reasons has become less appealing than a crate full of squid guts.

GT4 was fine. It pushed the PS2 to the absolute limit, and the things you mention were products of that fact. It's kinda like saying 'Forza 4 sucks because it doesn't have weather and night racing and GT5 does'; Turn 10 has said that the primary reason they don't have these two oft-requested features was hardware limitations. I mean, poo poo, even GT4 had both of those things on the PS2; it was pretty impressive what they were able to squeeze in there. Forza 1 was behind GT4 in a lot of areas itself, and even Forza 4 still has lovely track selection compared to GT5 (the only area GT5 wins out in, but still).

All of that said, I guess GT6 will tell us whether bothering with a PS4 for Gran Turismo 7 will be worth it over bothering with the XB1 for Forza 5. If GT6 is good, I think everyone on the fence about buying an XB1 for Forza will swap over the the PS4.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
I've just done something terrible on Amazon...

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

burtonos posted:

Depending on how you define "terrible", I may or may not have done the same thing.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

burtonos posted:

You ordered this, didn't you.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm considering pre-ordering GT6, but I know that's an awful idea.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

Falken posted:

You ordered this, didn't you.

I will have tears to use as lube, while I wait for my stupid Xbone to load Forza 5 to the hard drive.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

burtonos posted:

I will have tears to use as lube, while I wait for my stupid Xbone to load Forza 5 to the hard drive.

I hope you have goons to play with. :(

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I said come in! posted:

I'm considering pre-ordering GT6, but I know that's an awful idea.

Pre-ordering anything is an awful idea.

...yet I still do it for games I'm really excited for.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Seymour Butts posted:

GT1, 2, and 3 were godlike though. I also enjoyed Sega GT, so what do I know!

edit: Let's all switch over to iRacing :cool:

We'd love to have you :) Be warned, though, iRacing makes Forza look downright arcadey.

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

The only part of this whole situation that annoys me is having to buy a PS3 just to play GT6 (assuming the AUGR crowd switched over). Polyphony really couldn't have it ready for the PS4 launch?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I think it's actually more a situation of Microsoft saying "gently caress You" to fans of their console and games, rather than the other way around.

Or maybe there's another way to take the fact that, of the 3 systems my Fanatec wheel works on currently, the only one in the next-gen that it seems rather unlikely to work on is from the same company who's corporate branding and 'Official' title also sits on that very same wheel.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I'm honestly considering just sticking with racing on the PC. With a combination of games (iRacing, Shift 2, F1 2012, WRC3, Grid2 and hopefully the upcoming Project CARS) I get pretty much everything that's in Forza as far as tracks and cars are concerned, just not all in one package. I'll miss Forza but I'm not that good at it anyway and I have just as much fun playing the aforementioned games on the PC. Plus if I just stick with PC I can mount a clubsport wheel to my playseat instead.

Forza related content: This was fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmLJJOcklLo

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

GutBomb posted:

I'm honestly considering just sticking with racing on the PC. With a combination of games (iRacing, Shift 2, F1 2012, WRC3, Grid2 and hopefully the upcoming Project CARS) I get pretty much everything that's in Forza as far as tracks and cars are concerned, just not all in one package. I'll miss Forza but I'm not that good at it anyway and I have just as much fun playing the aforementioned games on the PC. Plus if I just stick with PC I can mount a clubsport wheel to my playseat instead.

Forza related content: This was fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmLJJOcklLo

Hey I made that livery for you! And its an Abarth :3.

I am actually quite glad I have a car that's in Forza now, driving my Focus ST like a regular guy on the street and then hooning about in Horizon and 4 with it is great fun.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Ringo Star Get posted:

I am actually quite glad I have a car that's in Forza now, driving my Focus ST like a regular guy on the street and then hooning about in Horizon and 4 with it is great fun.
E36 M3 owner, checking into that club! :fistbump:

Not quite the same, though, since mine is US-Spec, which is down almost 50 HP from the one in Forza... :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wish I could play WRC3 but it's not even released in the US. What the hell is that?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Duh. Americans only like driving in circles, didn't you get the memo? It's a much better method, this way you only have to watch the last 2 laps of any given race and you'll see everything you needed to see. Leaves more time for pounding Busch Lights.

And drat. Amazon's out of the Xbone pre-orders already.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

Duh. Americans only like driving in circles, didn't you get the memo? It's a much better method, this way you only have to watch the last 2 laps of any given race and you'll see everything you needed to see. Leaves more time for pounding Busch Lights.

And drat. Amazon's out of the Xbone pre-orders already.
They only got about a dozen NSA spycam betamax players.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They are out of the "Day One" xboxes which have a dumb controller and an achievement for being one of the spergiest spergs and got a day one xbox. The standard one says it releases December 31st. Is that just a holdover or are they really not going to get any other xbones until after christmas? I'm thinking about just preordered the Forza bundle on gamestop and then if I don't like any news we get, I'll cancel.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I think that's just a placeholder date because they're not sure when the exact date is (Nov 30).

The PS4 had the same 12/31/13 date, there's no way in hell these aren't out before Xmas. Didn't realize there were two options on the Xbone, just saw "Product unavailable" when I did a quick search on Amazon.

B-b-b-but my fancy achievement!! :jerkbag:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zinjnok posted:

The only part of this whole situation that annoys me is having to buy a PS3 just to play GT6 (assuming the AUGR crowd switched over). Polyphony really couldn't have it ready for the PS4 launch?

Polyphony moves way too slowly, there's no way they could make it happen.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Just a reminder that you guys are more than welcome to come race with us PAers. We do Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9PM EST

tonight is just a random fuckaround lobby

thursday is C Class Smart cars

next tuesday is B Class Asian, no restrictions

my GT is Basticular

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
New Thrustmaster shown here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhSlSIuAT3A

Thing is beefy looking, but I assume that's a prototype.

Thomas at Fanatec still seems unclear on whether his wheels will be fixable with a firmware update, but I guess "Maybe" is better than a flat out "Nope" as he has nothing to lose by being straight up if he's already been frozen out.

First menu screen reads:
"Automatically adjusts the driving (something) below to create a gameplay experience that matches the difficulty level you choose. WARNING! A steering wheel and real-world experience are recommended for the EXPERT game difficulty"

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 11, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

http://www.twitch.tv/MicrosoftStudios Forza 5 full reveal in 22 minutes.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
I really want to see the Drivatar in action, because it sounds loving awesome if it works properly.

edit: open-wheel cars confirmed by Greenwalt.

L_Harrison fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 11, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gonna update this post as they talk about poo poo;

-All cars are in vista mode
-open wheel race cars!
-brand new painting options, with new materials.
-no auction house or storefront, new method coming not yet talked about.
-no night time racing
-no weather effects

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 11, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

No night and no weather still :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
FANATEC FANATEC FANATEC FANATEC FANATEC FANATEC FANATEC FANATEC FANATEC FANATEC FANATEC FANATEC

"We're getting questions in chat about the background environment art in Prague"

Holy poo poo they asked him. And the answer is "I don't know"

• Locked thread