Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Ozmodiar posted:

I'm biding my time until I don't have an ETF to get off Sprint and move to Verizon...and I'm very curious about the Moto X...

My question is: if I move to Verizon, but bring my own phone, will this keep me eligible for a new device upgrade right away?

You can only bring Verizon phone to Verizon. You can always sell your Sprint phone and buy a Verizon but the equivalent phone is worth about $150 less on Sprint then Verizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

az jan jananam posted:

Which phones on Verizon have an unlocked SIM that can accept international sim cards? Any recent Android phones?

Off the top of my head, the Motorola Razr, Droid 4, Razr HD, HTC Rezound, HTC One, SGS3, SGS4, and iPhone5 will do international SIMs.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hello Verizon thread. I'm usually in the sprint thread, complaining about how terrible my service is, but today im here for a different reason. My girlfriend's crappy samsung slider is epileptic and shaking itself to death, refusing to charge. Fine, I've hit up craigslist and found a Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

Can you guys tell me whats the safest, least scammy way to go about buying a used phone on CL? I'm planning on meeting the guy at a Verizon store and having them check it for esn/anything obvious I might miss (at least, that what would work for sprint)

Secondly, apologies if this belongs in the recommend me a phone thread, but whats the quality of the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon? Good phone, or one plagued with problems?

Thanks for your help.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

The Bananana posted:

Hello Verizon thread. I'm usually in the sprint thread, complaining about how terrible my service is, but today im here for a different reason. My girlfriend's crappy samsung slider is epileptic and shaking itself to death, refusing to charge. Fine, I've hit up craigslist and found a Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

Can you guys tell me whats the safest, least scammy way to go about buying a used phone on CL? I'm planning on meeting the guy at a Verizon store and having them check it for esn/anything obvious I might miss (at least, that what would work for sprint)

Secondly, apologies if this belongs in the recommend me a phone thread, but whats the quality of the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon? Good phone, or one plagued with problems?

Thanks for your help.

Meet at a verizon store, verify ESN, activate it on your account right there, hope the guy doesn't call it in as stolen.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

The Bananana posted:

Can you guys tell me whats the safest, least scammy way to go about buying a used phone on CL? I'm planning on meeting the guy at a Verizon store and having them check it for ESN/anything obvious I might miss (at least, that what would work for sprint)

You have the right idea meeting the seller at a corporate Verizon store. You can also ask for the ESN/MEID before you meet to save time and weed out stolen/blacklisted phone scammers. I still like to meet at the store even if I've already verified. You can also type up a Bill of Sale identifying the phone (with unique serial/ID numbers) and the seller with signature.

If you already have an LTE phone, you can just swap your SIM card in. I think I'd still meet at a store for MEID verification and a Bill of Sale. Hell, I'd leave a witness signature line and have the Verizon agent sign. If the agent is reluctant, have them print a receipt of your transaction/activation and staple it to your Bill of Sale. Just throwing out ideas if you're paranoid; I've never taken it this far: you could have a "ESN/MEID verified by: ________" line in the phone section to identify the Verizon agent.

All this may be unnecessary. In order for the seller or real owner to report the phone stolen and/or make an insurance claim, it would probably have to be active on their line/account. Once it's active on yours, there's probably no way for it to be reactivated on theirs. In order for it to have been activated on yours, they would have to have deliberately deactivated it from theirs by activating a new phone or closing the account/line.

I don't know current used prices, but I'd cross shop the Nexus with Galaxy S3s and comparable Motorola phones. The CDMA/LTE Galaxy Nexuses are known for poor battery life and reception issues. Still a fine phone if it's cheap.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 11, 2013

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

The Bananana posted:

Thanks for your help.

Just double-checking—your girlfriend has Verizon, right?

The Verizon GNex is a pretty mediocre phone overall (piss-poor battery even for that generation, weak radios, slow to get updates because of Verizon's special snowflake testing process), but it doesn't really have any completely show-stopping bugs.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Thanks for the responses.

Buying for $100 for my gf who is on Verizon.

I guess I'd just like to know anything else I should about the nexus. I'm in a major city, so hopefully the reception issue isnt an issue, and the phone has an upgraded battery.

quote:

...Does have a extended battery with the appropriate door. It is currently rooted and running CM10.1. 

What does the rooted stuff mean?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

The Bananana posted:

Thanks for the responses.

Buying for $100 for my gf who is on Verizon.

I guess I'd just like to know anything else I should about the nexus. I'm in a major city, so hopefully the reception issue isnt an issue, and the phone has an upgraded battery.

What does the rooted stuff mean?

Even in a major city and with Verizon's network running on lower, building-penetrating frequencies, you'll still end up in basements and masonry buildings and high-interference areas. Wifi reception is also poor with the Nexus, if I remember correctly. Again, I'd still get it if it was significantly cheaper than comparable phones.

Rooted running CyanogenMod is great if you know how to troubleshoot (for your girlfriend?). I'm not sure if Verizon's *228 programming works with aftermarket ROMs. This may not matter since its an LTE phone and the SIM contains the programming info. From experience with rooted/ROMs on Sprint phones, the automatic Hands-Free Activation programming only works with the stock Sprint ROM. I'd ask the seller to reinstall the stock Verizon ROM if you don't know how to do it yourself. It'll only take him 5 or 10 minutes.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Have the seller reinstall the stock ROM and relock the bootloader; you don't know the state of the software on it and you should not accept it if it's not stock. Relocking the bootloader will confirm that it's running the official signed software.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I got approved for work phones some months back, then "unapproved", now approved again. I can pick any phones on the Verizon site that are $100 or less with contract.

- I'm figuring Galaxy S3 is the best bet for myself? There's the Razr HD and Razr M but I sort of hate Motorola.

- Then I have to pick a phone for an unsavvy coworker, I guess the iPhone 4S...

- Finally my boss has bad eyesight and his personal phone is a Note, I can either get him an S3 (probably will), or that weird-rear end LG Intuition if he insists on something Note-size.

Is that sound reasoning? Am I missing some promotion where I can get a better phone for $100 in the cart?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

There's the Razr HD and Razr M but I sort of hate Motorola.
Why, exactly? The old "MotoBlur" is not a thing anymore, if that matters. The RAZR HD and M are both pretty solid devices with nearly vanilla Android.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

kitten smoothie posted:

Why, exactly? The old "MotoBlur" is not a thing anymore, if that matters. The RAZR HD and M are both pretty solid devices with nearly vanilla Android.
I used to be really opposed to Moto phones, but after using my brother's RAZR-M while setting it up I ended up using my upgrade for a MAXX HD the other day (~$70 on Amazon). They're mostly stock now and rooting got rid of the final Verizon bits. The 3+ day battery life is pretty nice on the MAXX HD so I don't have to worry about charging until it starts flashing LED's at me. He gets over a full day with heavy GPS/4G-use on the M too so it makes a good work-phone.

4S is fine for the coworker, but don't get your boss an LG Intuition. Anything with a larger screen would work (S3/S4/RAZR HD) instead, other than maybe the DNA as I haven't heard good things about the battery life and Verizon's still trying to sell them at $200 on contract.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 12, 2013

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

I'm eligible for an upgrade and not attached to my phone number. To upgrade in store to the galaxy s4 its $250+ tax+ activation -$50 rebate and I get it the same day. For a new account amazon is $120+activation, 2 day wait for mail. Is there anything preventing me from cancelling my account and getting a new phone online to save ~ $100?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lampey posted:

I'm eligible for an upgrade and not attached to my phone number. To upgrade in store to the galaxy s4 its $250+ tax+ activation -$50 rebate and I get it the same day. For a new account amazon is $120+activation, 2 day wait for mail. Is there anything preventing me from cancelling my account and getting a new phone online to save ~ $100?
What is your current plan? Will you be moving from a legacy plan to a Share Everything plan? If so, I have a hard time believing you won't be spending at least $10 more per month. Also, is your contract up? If not, you'll have to pay an ETF. Upgrades typically come before 24 months.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

The USB port on my Gnex is starting to go out. I've only had it for 9 months, so it should be under the 1 year warranty. Here's the kicker, there's a small crack in my screen. Verizon is saying that this voids the warranty. The options they gave me over the phone were to wipe the phone (they said it was the software :downs:) or to buy a used phone on craigslist/ebay or through verizon directly.

Is there anything I can do to get verizon to fix the USB port. I'm not expecting them to replace the glass, but it is bullshit that "any cosmetic damage voids the warranty". Right now the most tempting option is to just pay the ETF and be done.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

I have a share everything plan w/ 2gb and pay $107 a month with military discount and no insurance. I know the insurance will be extra. I activated this phone without a contract and knew that I was wasting money each month because I planned on getting deployed again. It got cancelled/moved. I see adding a line and making a family plan is the same price as a new 1 line contract. It just seems like $80+ tax + dealing with a rebate is a lot of hassle.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

compton rear end terry posted:

The USB port on my Gnex is starting to go out. I've only had it for 9 months, so it should be under the 1 year warranty. Here's the kicker, there's a small crack in my screen. Verizon is saying that this voids the warranty. The options they gave me over the phone were to wipe the phone (they said it was the software :downs:) or to buy a used phone on craigslist/ebay or through verizon directly.

Is there anything I can do to get verizon to fix the USB port. I'm not expecting them to replace the glass, but it is bullshit that "any cosmetic damage voids the warranty". Right now the most tempting option is to just pay the ETF and be done.
"Any cosmetic damage" isn't quite right. It can be scuffed and scraped a bit especially on the non-operational surface (not the screen) and be covered. Any crack in the housing or on the screen is definitely not covered under warranty even if it is probably not related to the USB port.

No they can't make a special concession in your case since units are inspected and photographed at the returns warehouse where the return damage fee is assessed and the warehouse doesn't really talk directly to customer service and won't check any special remarks on your account.

Shop around electronics repairs places to see if they can replace the screen at a reasonable cost. Sometimes used video games shops (not Gamestop) can do these repairs. The returns warehouse isn't going to notice a properly repaired phone if they do a decent job.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

Shop around electronics repairs places to see if they can replace the screen at a reasonable cost. Sometimes used video games shops (not Gamestop) can do these repairs. The returns warehouse isn't going to notice a properly repaired phone if they do a decent job.

Now that I consider it, it's probably cheaper to get the usb bit replaced than the screen. I may just go with that since the crack isn't even in the viewing area of the screen, it's by the bezel.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

compton rear end terry posted:

Now that I consider it, it's probably cheaper to get the usb bit replaced than the screen. I may just go with that since the crack isn't even in the viewing area of the screen, it's by the bezel.

I had this place fix the charge port on my Samsung Galaxy S II, they did fine work for $35: http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus-usb-port-repair/

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

lampey posted:

If you want the phone the same day Best Buy price matches Amazon now

Endless Mike posted:

What is your current plan? Will you be moving from a legacy plan to a Share Everything plan? If so, I have a hard time believing you won't be spending at least $10 more per month. Also, is your contract up? If not, you'll have to pay an ETF. Upgrades typically come before 24 months.

I am pretty sure upgrades are 24 months now

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

DangerZoneDelux posted:

If you want the phone the same day Best Buy price matches Amazon now
They, and nobody else for that matter either, will price match a new line activation price, for an upgrade. So he would still have to cancel his line, lose his number and get a new one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I am pretty sure upgrades are 24 months now
Yes, but it only applies to people whose next upgrade is after September. Someone who has an upgrade currently available could have up to 4 months of contract remaining.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Endless Mike posted:

Yes, but it only applies to people whose next upgrade is after September. Someone who has an upgrade currently available could have up to 4 months of contract remaining.

(i.e. Me)

But yeah... I either can get a new phone next week but I think I might let my contract run out in October and move to T-Mobile. Loved Verizon service but I hate the company with a passion. I always have. Can't stand the way they try and nickel and dime you for everything. If I could keep unlimited data or something similar to it at a decent price I would probably stay with them but no real chance of that yet.

Ideally I'd like to go back to AT&T. Wish one of these turds would get rid of tiered plans so the other would follow.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I'm strongly considering leaving Verizon when my contract ends (also in October), so I'm borrowing a friend's backup phone and buying a T-Mobile SIM to see how the signal is around here. Verizon's service has gotten really bad for me lately - LTE speeds in the single digits, almost no signal in my apartment leading to lots of dropped calls, though I doubt anyone else will be a whole lot better, dropping to 3G once in awhile, and data not working at all despite a good signal. It might just be because of the storms last week, but it feels like it's been going on a lot longer than that.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I'm strongly considering leaving Verizon when my contract ends (also in October), so I'm borrowing a friend's backup phone and buying a T-Mobile SIM to see how the signal is around here. Verizon's service has gotten really bad for me lately - LTE speeds in the single digits, almost no signal in my apartment leading to lots of dropped calls, though I doubt anyone else will be a whole lot better, dropping to 3G once in awhile, and data not working at all despite a good signal. It might just be because of the storms last week, but it feels like it's been going on a lot longer than that.

Could also be the device. Over time the devices work worse and worse as the antennae ages.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Stick100 posted:

Over time the devices work worse and worse as the antennae ages.
Antennas age? Do you have any further information on this? Sounds kind of sketchy and a quick Google search didn't seem to turn anything up.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

td4guy posted:

Antennas age? Do you have any further information on this? Sounds kind of sketchy and a quick Google search didn't seem to turn anything up.

Electronic wear is definitely a thing but LTE going to poo poo is not a phone thing. Verizon's 3G is horrible and as more people migrate to LTE we're going to see it struggle. If the antenna "goes bad" in a standard 2 year period the phone is defective to begin with.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I'm on an iPhone 5. I'd be very surprised if it's the phone.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

td4guy posted:

I've nearly destroyed the capacity to connect on mobile or wifi for a iPhone 3GS, Motorola Defy and Galaxy Nexus. I'm really hard on devices. Most were new out of the box and at the end of my time period with them they would barely connect/(or not at all) to the network.

It would be tough to beat up an iPhone 5 that quickly.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Stick100 posted:

I've nearly destroyed the capacity to connect on mobile or wifi for a iPhone 3GS, Motorola Defy and Galaxy Nexus. I'm really hard on devices. Most were new out of the box and at the end of my time period with them they would barely connect/(or not at all) to the network.

It would be tough to beat up an iPhone 5 that quickly.

So what you're saying is your information is anecdotal.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

So what you're saying is your information is anecdotal.

Yup but when people only have one phone to test sometimes they blame network deterioration when it's actually phone deterioration. It can cause people to switch providers based on a bad phone.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Stick100 posted:

Yup but when people only have one phone to test sometimes they blame network deterioration when it's actually phone deterioration. It can cause people to switch providers based on a bad phone.

Kind of reminds me of when people give bad advice on something they only believe to be true yet state it as a fact causing people to misdiagnose potential problems with their issue.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Stick100 posted:

Honestly, how many of your phones have been exposed to water or extreme humidity? Would those little humidity sensor stickers tell a funny story?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

td4guy posted:

Honestly, how many of your phones have been exposed to water or extreme humidity? Would those little humidity sensor stickers tell a funny story?

All have been exposed to extreme humidity but none submerged. What do the stickers look like when tripped?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Stick100 posted:

All have been exposed to extreme humidity but none submerged. What do the stickers look like when tripped?

The red x's should bleed.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

td4guy posted:

Sorry I should not have said antennas age, obviously metal doesn't get older and cranky over time. I should have said devices sometimes connect less and less and at lower and lower speeds as the devices, antennas, and SIM cards are damaged. I personally thought networks were getting worse/more congested but the problem was my devices were damaged.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Stick100 posted:

Sorry I should not have said antennas age, obviously metal doesn't get older and cranky over time. I should have said devices sometimes connect less and less and at lower and lower speeds as the devices, antennas, and SIM cards are damaged. I personally thought networks were getting worse/more congested but the problem was my devices were damaged.
I'm pretty sure this isn't a thing that happens.

Do you frequently drop your phones?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

LCD Deathpanel posted:

I'm pretty sure this isn't a thing that happens.

Do you frequently drop your phones?

Yes, and throw phones are around, generally don't use cases, and use them in extreme humidity/near water.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Stick100 posted:

Yes, and throw phones are around, generally don't use cases, and use them in extreme humidity/near water.
And you're still assuming that your phone antennas wore out naturally over time?

If you abuse a phone it's going to break unless it's in a ridiculous tank-like case - that's not really a mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Is there any way to get a deal or even just communicate my frustration with the fact that my loving data is now limited? I share a plan with my parents, which rules because it makes it cheap as hell for me to have a phone. At the end of last year my mom and I upgraded to Galaxy 3s from Droid Xs and were forced down onto a limited data plan. I almost got irate in the store, but the salesman was good at being understanding and comforting about it and I REALLY dislike throwing customer service bitch fits in front of my mom. At the time it was fine, she was barely using her phone's data and the 2gb was enough for me to do the simple, average things I do with my phone's internet. But she has recently discovered the joy of phone youtube at the office and as of today we are over 2 gb. I feel burning rage in the pit of my stomach every time I get a data notification from Verizon now, I also really hate being nickled and dimed. She is also getting pretty pissed, and to be fair she has more right than I do since she's subsidizing my data. It's basically a matter of principle: the extra ten bucks we'll be charged this month isn't going to put us under the poverty line, it simply offends my conscience to be charged that much for a single gigabyte of data.

We've had Verizon for a long rear end time and I've always liked them. Good service area in the cities both I and my parents live in, good voice quality, decent response to customer concerns, and they have the Android phones I like at a good price. However this is turning out to be a deal breaker for both of us, just because it's indicative of a really bad attitude toward customers on the company's part.

So, is there anything I can do before we jump ship to communicate the problem and try to get a reasonable cs style fix? I'm planning to go ahead and throw that bitch fit I avoided earlier, albeit as civilly and calmly as possible. I'm not sure if it will actually do any good though. And I'm horrified to even think about moving to another provider at this point, I've heard awful things about every other major provider plus a few of them seem hella expensive compared to what we pay. The ones that don't have reputations for slow as hell data speeds, bad coverage, and lovely voice quality. At the end of the day it seems dumb to gamble with someone else who might be just as if not more lovely when realistically a twenty dollar bump to 5 gb isn't that bad and would take care of the immediate problem. The fact remains though that this scam is encroaching on my human and nerd dignity and makes me irrationally angry to think about. I hate the idea of having my habits made to the point that Verizon can pull calculated poo poo like this and hedge on the fact that I'm too lazy/fearful/comfortable to stop paying them over something so relatively minor.

• Locked thread