Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

WoG posted:

As much as I want to see Explosions, exorbitant NIN prices to see them play 3-4 songs in a big gently caress-off arena? Pass.

Funny you should say that, this is exactly how I've been feeling about Sigur Ros playing their awesome show in big arenas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Trent Reznor seems to like post-rock.

Maybe this is the post rock breakout that some people have been predicting.

I do appreciate his dedication to trolling his fanbase. After Deerhunter and A Place To Bury Strangers, this was the next logical step. The "who the gently caress are these guys?" will be deafening.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

The final Gifts From Enola show was pretty great. Not as much turnout as I thought (the venue was a tiny bar, but I figured that it'd be packed nonetheless), and they brought their old drummer and old guitarist on stage to play their final song. I picked up their special "last show ever" screen print posters, which, of course, are post-rock as gently caress.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

precision posted:

I do appreciate his dedication to trolling his fanbase. After Deerhunter and A Place To Bury Strangers, this was the next logical step. The "who the gently caress are these guys?" will be deafening.
I dunno. I think Explosions in the Sky are probably the most popular post-rock band on earth (barring maybe Sigur Ros), if only because of Friday Night Lights. Godspeed might be a different story.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Godspeed are referenced by Seth Rogen in a Judd Apatow movie, if that says anything about their popularity.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

I dunno. I think Explosions in the Sky are probably the most popular post-rock band on earth (barring maybe Sigur Ros), if only because of Friday Night Lights. Godspeed might be a different story.

Speaking as a fan of post-rock and NIN, I would do ungodly things to go to one of the NIN/Godspeed dates. Bit of a weird choice for what will probably be a high energy NIN set though. And although I am aware of ETIS, I've never actually listened to them.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You're a post-rock fan and you've never listened to THE band that gets ripped off the most?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I don't like Explosions In The Sky :geno:

Listened to the new Sigur Ros and it was pretty ok

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

david puddy posted:

I don't like Explosions In The Sky :geno:

ANY of their stuff? Or just some and not others?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I am so confused by all of these Milhouse avatars.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
GY!BE and EITS are pretty popular, but have you ever been to a NIN show? Trust me, NIN fans are pretty much exclusively terrible, especially when it comes to tolerating opening acts. I mean at least Deerhunter has lyrics and generally played like a rock band.

It'll be like that one tour that MONO did with High On Fire, only probably worse.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Maybe GY!BE and EITS will just play the loud parts of their songs.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hey, I'm a NIN fan and a post-rock fan! :mad:

And I've seen NIN, EITS and GYBE live.

That's going to be one hell of a tour.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Apparently Amiina have released a new album - "The Lighthouse Project". That was pretty stealthy of them.

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

eithedog posted:

Apparently Amiina have released a new album - "The Lighthouse Project". That was pretty stealthy of them.

Nice! I got an email saying they where working on a new album a couple of months ago but hadn't heard anything since, thanks for the heads up.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

ANY of their stuff? Or just some and not others?

I like the first half of It's Natural To Be Afraid from All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone, and most of The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place, but not any of their other stuff

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
So how many of you have got your tickets to Arc Tan Gent? Is gooncamp happening and will anyone be going through Bristol?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm seriously tempted, but it clashes with Sigur Ros at Jodrell Bank. After the last few pages of everyone saying that they're the greatest band ever to stand on a stage I'm not sure which to go to.

Someone contact the ArcTanGent organisers and get them to book Sigur Ros for the 31st.

e: I see that some of the spaces still to be filled are in association with Damnation Festival, wonder if they'll get Cult of Luna? Can't really imagine it's Moss' scene although that'd be pretty cool too.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 14, 2013

Videogame Stench
Feb 11, 2011

The new Sigur Ros album leaked and I just finished my first full listen through of it. Have to say, I'm kind of disappointed :( It sounds more like a Jonsi solo album than it does a proper Sigur Ros album in the way the songs are structured, which isn't a bad thing but it's just not terribly memorable. This is less of a post-rock album than pretty much all their others. Brennisteinn had me amped up because it was different and cool and I thought maybe the rest of the album might have similar characteristics since they're now a 3 piece and all. But aside from Brennisteinn, there were like 2 other songs I really enjoyed and the rest were instantly forgettable.

It's not an outright bad album, but if I had to rank it next to their other albums, it'd be close to the bottom (Von would be at the very bottom and this would be above it).

I honestly liked Valtari more than this and would happily listen to that album over this in the future.

It is funny how opinions differ. I was big into Sigur Ros as a teenager and this is the first Sigur Ros album I've liked in 11 years.

I found Valtari to be one of the most boring albums I've ever listened to.

Videogame Stench fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 14, 2013

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I've been listening to it on loop. I'm extremely impressed with it and think this is probably their strongest album since Takk.

Videogame Stench
Feb 11, 2011

i first started listening sigur ros when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "hopelandic" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "yo soy no" and "you sigh" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "scandanavian" style of post rock was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" sigur ros to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

bevis of nazereth posted:

i first started listening sigur ros when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "hopelandic" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "yo soy no" and "you sigh" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "scandanavian" style of post rock was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" sigur ros to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.
Good advice, thanks for the warning.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Finally got a chance to listen to Kveikur all the way through, and it's as good as I thought it'd be. I can see how a couple of the tracks may not stand out as much, but there's a lot of tracks that really stood out for me, particularly Kveikur, Isjaki, Stormur, and Brennisteinn. I usually don't listen to Sigur Ros that much since my initial honeymoon phase with them, however I've been finding myself constantly going back to this album to listen to it again and again. Kveikur is much stronger of a release than Valtari, and it has quickly catapulted itself to being one of my favourite Sigur Ros albums. That shine may eventually wear off though.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

I'm in agreement with those who like the new album. I haven't listened to Valtari at all since it came out, but I can see myself listening to Kveikur well into the future. I've been listening to Isjaki on loop since they released it and the rest of the album hasn't failed to disappoint.

I saw Sigur Ros for the first time live earlier this year, and now I'm definitely going to see them again when they come back to Chicago.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

I liked Valtari a lot and I like Kveikur a lot too.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Valtari is my favourite Sigur Ros album. :colbert:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Takk... is the only Sigur Ros album that's good all the way through.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I think you mean Agaetis Byrjun :colbert:

That's the only one that's perfect all the way through. The rest are good but have their problems. Well, except for Von and Kveikur, which I wouldn't even say are good all the way through.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I think you mean Agaetis Byrjun :colbert:

That's the only one that's perfect all the way through. The rest are good but have their problems. Well, except for Von and Kveikur, which I wouldn't even say are good all the way through.

What, in your opinion, are the low points of Kveikur?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cymbal Monkey posted:

What, in your opinion, are the low points of Kveikur?

Well Brennisteinn and Isjaki are incredible. I think they're two of the best songs they've ever done, honestly. Var's pretty good but it feels like an interlude track that doesn't really go anywhere. I like Yfirbord and Kveikur too, but they're not among the best Sigur Ros material or anything.

The rest of the tracks are just "whatever" tracks for me. When I listened through the whole album the other day, I didn't really feel anything when listening to those. And today I went back and listened to a bunch of the tracks individually and felt the same way about those. A lot of Sigur Ros material grabs me and makes me feel overwhelmingly happy or sad or pumped up or something. But those tracks didn't do anything like that for me. So that's Hrafntinna, Stormur, Rafstraumur and Blapradur I guess.

Should I count the bonus tracks (Hryggjarsula and Ofbirta)? They were on the Brennisteinn EP that I got a while back but they're bonus tracks on this album as well. Both of those are kind of "whatever" for me too. They're not bad, they're just not particularly interesting compared to a lot of Sigur Ros material. When I was driving back from seeing them in Houston, I remember playing Valtari and the Brennisteinn EP back to back and thinking these two tracks were pretty boring, like even less interesting than the least interesting parts of Valtari.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

This. As far as Ágætis byrjun goes, "Svefn-g-englar" and the title track are nice but go on way too long, and "Flugufrelsarinn", "Hjartað hamast (bamm bamm bamm)", and "Avalon" just kind of... don't really do anything for me.

But you know. That's just, like, my opinion, man.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Finally got around to listening to The Samuel Jackson Five, and I completely understand why this thread loves them so much.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

Finally got around to listening to The Samuel Jackson Five, and I completely understand why this thread loves them so much.

Which albums did you check out? And did all of you get Mid-Fi Winter Wonderland? I really enjoy it.

Anyways, have we talked about Rökkuró yet? I've been enjoying this song quite a bit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

( ) is the only one I even listen to anymore. I think I managed to burn myself out on the band completely by the time Takk was even released. The hype and omnipresence of Aegaetus Byrjun (at least in my circle of friends at the time) was absolutely insane. Everyone was like "they're the new GY!BE" even though that statement makes no sense to me on any level...

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
This is old, but I ignored it at first and now I'm really enjoying Nothing of Cities by Years of Rice and Salt. It's a very soft album which I don't usually go for but the instrumentation is excellent.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

chunkles posted:

This is old, but I ignored it at first and now I'm really enjoying Nothing of Cities by Years of Rice and Salt. It's a very soft album which I don't usually go for but the instrumentation is excellent.

Their Service Bell deserves a listen as well, due to, mainly, Plankton.
And, if you care about these things, Silent Ballet rated Nothing of Cities on 13th place, in the list of best releases of 2011.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is like a post metal/post rock fusion track, but Pelican have a new song out called "Immutable Dusk" and it's awesome. I like it more than just about everything from their last album (What We All Come To Need). Sounds more like their older stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/pelican-song/pelican-immutable-dusk/s-iZg0S

And they're also playing in Baton Rouge in November so I guess I'll be seeing them live for the second time :D

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Nice. I always listen to Pelican's new stuff even though it can be hit or miss. This is really good, I'm looking forward to the album.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Theyve been talked about in the black metal thread before but I figure Deafheaven is enough of post-rock band as well to discuss in here.

These guys are fantastic. A blend of post-rock, shoegaze and black metal. It makes for a pretty intense sound. Two of my friends are in the band so I got to see them at 285 Kent in Brooklyn recently. Absolutely mind blowing show. The singer has a really amazing stage presence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpblqUh_C24

If you arent a fan of black metal style vocals, you probably arent going to like these guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Ash
Dec 29, 2012
"Dream House" is one of my favorite songs of the year. Some of the guitar lines on that album sound, for lack of a better word, transcendent.

I also like that the vocals aren't as prominent in the mix as they could be. It's really easy (for me, at least) to just hear it as another instrument, while they would normally be a problem for me otherwise.