Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Khaba posted:

I think part of the reason that it's getting the hype that it's currently getting is that there's a whole group of MMO players who have finished up playing whatever it was that got them started, and just haven't been able to find the game to satisfy that MMO itch.

I mean look at this thread, I've been seeing the same names appear in all the various MMO threads. One day guys. We'll find that MMO that cures the itch, at least for awhile.

Or some of us might just enjoy MMOs in general, and think Wildstar might be the next "big one" if done correctly and not rushed. I haven't played the MMO that got me started (SWG) for many many years, and I'm currently still enjoying GW2 and probably will for quite some time. Just because people are looking forward to a game doesn't mean it's hype from lost puppies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Failboattootoot posted:

B&S got pushed back to 2014 and that is aggravating.

I still fail to understand how it takes a year plus to port something. I'd understand a delay of a few months so they could port a version with patches and have a smoother launch but they keep taking a year or more. Aion, Tera, Blade and Soul, ArcheAge, Phantasy Star Online 2...

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

I hope you like games with your jam http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/wildstar_wednesday_game_jam.php

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up

Carecat posted:

I still fail to understand how it takes a year plus to port something. I'd understand a delay of a few months so they could port a version with patches and have a smoother launch but they keep taking a year or more. Aion, Tera, Blade and Soul, ArcheAge, Phantasy Star Online 2...

In this case it may be because they want Wildstar out in 2013 and they're trying not to create competition to themselves.:shrug:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Carecat posted:

I read an article in GI from months back that they were setting it up to where the US team could modify the game to appeal to a more western audience, so things like adjusting xp and drop rates. It might be taking them a long time to get this infrastructure set up.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Failboattootoot posted:

I read an article in GI from months back that they were setting it up to where the US team could modify the game to appeal to a more western audience, so things like adjusting xp and drop rates. It might be taking them a long time to get this infrastructure set up.

It should also be pointed out, just for reference, that they said the exact same thing about Aion before it was released in the States. And then it was a massive grindfest anyway and to my knowledge still is.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Or some of us might just enjoy MMOs in general, and think Wildstar might be the next "big one" if done correctly and not rushed. I haven't played the MMO that got me started (SWG) for many many years, and I'm currently still enjoying GW2 and probably will for quite some time. Just because people are looking forward to a game doesn't mean it's hype from lost puppies!

The thing for me is that no other MMO ever hits the art style right like WoW does. They either just don't have good art direction in general, or they try to go realistic with "amazing graphics". And that just completely puts me off. WoW has a really really nice cartoony aesthetic, and Wildstar is the first MMO I've ever seen that looks like it'll compete with WoW artwise. The "meet the" trailers are charming as gently caress, the world they've shown so far looks gorgeous. For me it's the first time another MMO has got me interested that's not WoW.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

General Maximus posted:

It should also be pointed out, just for reference, that they said the exact same thing about Aion before it was released in the States. And then it was a massive grindfest anyway and to my knowledge still is.

It isn't a grindfest anymore. The funny thing is that the grind has been removed in all versions of Aion. It seems like the Koreans are growing tired of grinding, too.

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Didn't mean to lump everyone in together and try to speak for them, sorry about that. Something something projection?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Khaba posted:

Didn't mean to lump everyone in together and try to speak for them, sorry about that. Something something projection?

All good. I'm definitely looking forward to this game despite having some horrific MMO experiences in the past (STO, SWTOR come to mind recently). Simply because it has the most potential compared to Elder Scrolls, not even sure what else is coming up.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

ArcheAge. But it might be pretty grindy, since it's Korean and the lead dev is responsible for Lineage.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

CLAM DOWN posted:

All good. I'm definitely looking forward to this game despite having some horrific MMO experiences in the past (STO, SWTOR come to mind recently). Simply because it has the most potential compared to Elder Scrolls, not even sure what else is coming up.

But Melon Dude (Hi!), at least SWTOR had end game content and PvP system that worked. Guild Wars has none of that. The only thing fun about guild wars is flushing your items into a toilet. Oh wait- That's not fun at all.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
That's not melon dude, and i bet you haven't played gw2 in awhile either.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

sTickHead posted:

That's not melon dude, and i bet you haven't played gw2 in awhile either.

Is WvWvW still laggy as balls? I tried playing it a little over a month ago and everything was taking over 2 seconds to go through on instant abilities in WvW.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BadLlama posted:

Is WvWvW still laggy as balls? I tried playing it a little over a month ago and everything was taking over 2 seconds to go through on instant abilities in WvW.

Not at all, I haven't had server/network lag in any part of the game since the first month after release when things were nuts, not sure what happened for you a month ago (that sounds pretty extreme as far as lag goes).

hobocrunch posted:

But Melon Dude (Hi!), at least SWTOR had end game content and PvP system that worked. Guild Wars has none of that. The only thing fun about guild wars is flushing your items into a toilet. Oh wait- That's not fun at all.

Man I wish I was Melondude :( And SWTOR had horrible and limited endgame content, and one of the most boring and repetitive PvP things I've ever seen, far worse than GW2's sPvP which is shockingly boring enough on its own. I'm not sure what on earth you're talking about flushing your items down the toilet, are you referring to the Mystic Forge? Which you shouldn't even be using unless you are getting the specific mats for a legendary or quasi-legendary? I'm guessing you quit GW2 with the initial 1-month release rush if that's your opinion on it.

vvvv :drat:

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 13, 2013

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Khaba posted:

I mean look at this thread, I've been seeing the same names appear in all the various MMO threads. One day guys. We'll find that MMO that cures the itch, at least for awhile.

It's just a cross section of slow learners and people with no concept of monetary value.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lets look at it this way, at least one of Wildstar, ESO or EQNext is gonna be the next big thing...right? :ohdear:

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:

A Tartan Tory posted:

Lets look at it this way, at least one of Wildstar, ESO or EQNext is gonna be the next big thing...right? :ohdear:

I think that's the trap MMO's keep getting into, feeling like they NEED to be the next big thing. When UO became a huge hit, everyone was shocked, then EQ came and stole the crown, and finally WoW usurped EQ and has been the reining champion.

Since then, we keep expecting new MMOs to follow that model, but with the sheer volume of MMOs available now, maybe there will never be a new "Next big thing." Maybe subs will continue to slip from WoW and the user base will spread out over all the available MMOs.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Korlac posted:

I think that's the trap MMO's keep getting into, feeling like they NEED to be the next big thing. When UO became a huge hit, everyone was shocked, then EQ came and stole the crown, and finally WoW usurped EQ and has been the reining champion.

Since then, we keep expecting new MMOs to follow that model, but with the sheer volume of MMOs available now, maybe there will never be a new "Next big thing." Maybe subs will continue to slip from WoW and the user base will spread out over all the available MMOs.

Man, if only we had an MMO with UO pvp, WoW (burning crusade) pve, rift levels of customisation of class, tera levels of customisation of character and Wildstar player housing. :smith:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Korlac posted:

Nah, I usually try and put "next big thing" in quotes because it's a stupid term and a pointless comparator. I simply mean the next "AAA" or popular MMO, like GW2, that has a lot of resources behind it and gathers a large and stable playerbase.

A Tartan Tory posted:

Certainly won't be ESO, and a revival of EQ sounds just repulsive if the nostalgia/examples about EQ from this thread are anything to go by. There's not much else. Wasn't a Warhammer 40k MMO announced recently? Probably years and year away.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
FF14, against all odds, may actually be really good. What I've played so far I have liked quite a bit. If being a WoW clone doesn't immediately set you off (and if it did what are you even doing in this thread) then it's worth looking into. It's what I am expecting to play until this, ESO, or B&S come out, assuming any of these games actually turn out good.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I think all of us that post in all the mmo threads actually enjoy the games for the most part, it's just we all enjoy complaining on the internet much more. :v:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Lyer posted:

I think all of us that post in all the mmo threads actually enjoy the games for the most part, it's just we all enjoy complaining on the internet much more. :v:

Yeah, I'd say this is pretty accurate. Nothing wrong with being a fan of the genre (until you're bankrupt because cash shops have claimed all your money).

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:

Failboattootoot posted:

FF14, against all odds, may actually be really good. What I've played so far I have liked quite a bit. If being a WoW clone doesn't immediately set you off (and if it did what are you even doing in this thread) then it's worth looking into. It's what I am expecting to play until this, ESO, or B&S come out, assuming any of these games actually turn out good.

Hasn't Sony lost about as much fan faith as Microsoft has because of the Xbox One? I mean their last attempt at a FF MMO was such an utter disaster it was near epic.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Yeah, I'd say this is pretty accurate. Nothing wrong with being a fan of the genre (until you're bankrupt because cash shops have claimed all your money).

Yeah, I mean I'm sure I'm broken as poo poo when it comes to games (I bought SimCity) but I actually do really enjoy the MMO genre, or I wouldn't be playing it. I budget for disposable gaming income too because I enjoy it, doesn't mean I'm careless with money.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Korlac posted:

Hasn't Sony lost about as much fan faith as Microsoft has because of the Xbox One? I mean their last attempt at a FF MMO was such an utter disaster it was near epic.

FF14 is that utter disaster, they are rebuilding it from the ground up. Check out the thread for more info, a few goons that are in the beta have good things to to say about it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Korlac posted:

S-E you mean? Sony had nothing to do with FFXIVs horrible initial launch and S-E has done an unprecedented job at trying to remake the game which has garnered a pretty positive response from the community. There where more people playing the game near the end of v1 phase (which had a sub) than there were when it was still in post launch b2p beta.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Normal Adult Human posted:

It's just a cross section of slow learners and people with no concept of monetary value.

I rarely play other games for more than a few months, I don't need MMOs to be different. Most MMO endgames suck too so I don't feel bad about quitting after trying it out.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wasn't a Warhammer 40k MMO announced recently? Probably years and year away.

That was killed awhile ago plus THQ were the ones making it I believe and THQ is now dead so yeah unless there is another one being made by another company I don't think that's a thing. Its probably a good thing. I would play a 40K MMO way too much.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BadLlama posted:

That was killed awhile ago plus THQ were the ones making it I believe and THQ is now dead so yeah unless there is another one being made by another company I don't think that's a thing. Its probably a good thing. I would play a 40K MMO way too much.

https://www.bhvr.com/wh40k

Is this new or old? Someone just linked this to me yesterday.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 13, 2013

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

https://www.bhvr.com/wh40k

Is this or old? Someone just linked this to me yesterday.

Ooooooh that is definitely new. No idea this existed. End of 2015 is so far away : /

No IG though is lame as poo poo.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Do you guys not look at the subforum this thread is currently on?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554228 (same page)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Doh004 posted:

Do you guys not look at the subforum this thread is currently on?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554228 (same page)

I don't usually, thanks for the link!

vvv Yup, that's what I use!

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 13, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't usually, thanks for the link!

I only recently discovered these forums had a bookmark/starred/favorited thread functionality. Supposedly people use that to go through threads that they know they want to keep up with? :monocle:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Doh004 posted:

I only recently discovered these forums had a bookmark/starred/favorited thread functionality. Supposedly people use that to go through threads that they know they want to keep up with? :monocle:

I sure hope Wildstar gets bookmark/starred/favorited capabilities for npc vendors created by Settlers!

Wildstar thread: All About Wildstar!

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Some E3 footage:

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/wildstar-gameplay-part-1/

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011

Wait, are they really going to go with announcer killstreaks? :staredog:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

There's a part 2 as well:

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/wildstar-gameplay-part-2/

That's some dodgy collision detection on that tree. I do like the jumping 'puzzle' has an extra little mission to clear it in under a certain time.

Some mashy QTEs to break out of 'traps' I hadn't seen before. Guess that's alright.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Some mashy QTEs to break out of 'traps' I hadn't seen before. Guess that's alright.

I can see it getting old quickly, not a fan of smashing keys especially when I already do it in games when it doesn't help in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
Here's some fun photos and comments showing the Wildstar offices and teams: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.505725649501214.1073741829.138242926249490&type=3

• Locked thread