Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

The problem with the state idea as I see it is that you have to take some serious liberties to make any sort of case. No state matches up exactly to any of those shapes, Montana and Minnesota are close to the piece that goes behind the birds wings but both are oriented incorrectly and neither are exact. In the case of Minnesota the state would also be mirror imaged.

I guess the purple shape could sort of look like an abstract Vermont with tentacles but I'm not super convinced of any state shape association.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Yeah, look at the outline of Ohio hidden in the Cleveland picture- it was dead-on, down to including the highways.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I walked all through the Boston Public Library, Copley Square, Commonwealth Avenue Mall, Public Gardens, and Boston Commons. Nothing really stood out. I took a few pictures but nothing really matches. So much detail on all the buildings that some are bound to be similar but no perfect matches. I did find legeaters on lamps all through the Public library entrance though they are not as well matched as the "Montreal" one. Just shows that it may have been a common thing at some point and that calls into question whether the one in Montreal is one of a kind.

I walked all around the library and Xenophon/Thucydides are only on the front.

I have been toying with the idea that, if the verse is matched to Boston, steps might mean "stops" on the green line (a stretch with the green light and metal walls) which would take you to Haymarket north/east and one of many points south/west. Haymarket is near the North End where the Italians are but I think that this line of thinking is not the right way to go. I like what has been done with "New York" recently in this thread and it might be nice to do with other pictures.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

By the way I wasn't sure if you guys were aware of http://historicaerials.com/ -- it's got watermarks on the images and doesn't have good coverage everywhere, but for large cities it often has more historic imagery than Google Earth, as well as a lot of old U.S. Geological Survey maps scanned in.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

How are they oriented with respect to cardinal directions? The shadows in the picture from Q4T looked like Xenophon's name was south of Thucydides, might that be an indication to work/look backwards or in reverse order?

Also, the library got my copy in today, and the scans are good enough for finding clues, but the painting are gorgeous and you're missing out if you're not seeing them in print.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

GWBBQ posted:

How are they oriented with respect to cardinal directions? The shadows in the picture from Q4T looked like Xenophon's name was south of Thucydides, might that be an indication to work/look backwards or in reverse order?

Thucydides' name is actually south of Xenophon's.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dr. Bit posted:

Milwaukee

This may be helpful, though it's not definitive and it's an early picture. This is an old painted photo (from the 1940's) that shows the river by City Hall. Though some of the buildings cover it up, it looks like there were never any trees along the river where the RiverWalk is now. You can see Pere Marquette Park a little higher in the photo. I was a little concerned that some of the instructions in the verse might have been pointing us to trees that were once along the river and are gone now, but it doesn't look like that's the case. Unless, of course, it's pointing to trees that were ripped out when Pere Marquette was re-landscaped.

EDIT: actually, that's not Pere Marquette Park at the top there. I don't know what that is.

EDIT 2: that green spot at the top is where a bunch of condos are now, perpendicular to Highland Ave. Hopefully those weren't built in the 90's, they look kind of modern on google maps...

Pere Marquette park was created in the very early 1970's after a block of buildings fronting the river were bulldozed and Plankinton Avenue from Kilbourn to State streets was closed off. This picture shows how it looked shortly after it opened. The changes were made by the mid-90's but were not a complete destruction of the old park.

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Houston

Does anyone have any ideas regarding other possible meanings for the line "Friendship south"?

Going back to the Tranquility Park idea, the Chamber of Commerce Visitors Center is on the south border of the park with a very industrial building to the north.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I walked all through the Boston Public Library, Copley Square, Commonwealth Avenue Mall, Public Gardens, and Boston Commons. Nothing really stood out. I took a few pictures but nothing really matches. So much detail on all the buildings that some are bound to be similar but no perfect matches. I did find legeaters on lamps all through the Public library entrance though they are not as well matched as the "Montreal" one. Just shows that it may have been a common thing at some point and that calls into question whether the one in Montreal is one of a kind.

I have been toying with the idea that, if the verse is matched to Boston, steps might mean "stops" on the green line (a stretch with the green light and metal walls) which would take you to Haymarket north/east and one of many points south/west. Haymarket is near the North End where the Italians are but I think that this line of thinking is not the right way to go. I like what has been done with "New York" recently in this thread and it might be nice to do with other pictures.

In Q4T thread they found both this legeater statue as well as one in NYC, though they were never to identify one with a hoof like in Montreal, always with a claw. They looked into manufacturers and such but were never able to find where the Montreal leageater actually came from.

Grand Poobah
Jun 20, 2005
EDIT: removing redundancy

Bryant Park, New York

Here is a photo of the library with the New York image superimposed, the dimensions of the image appear to match the arches on the front of the library
]

Grand Poobah fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 14, 2013

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

MassaShowtime posted:

In Q4T thread they found both this legeater statue as well as one in NYC, though they were never to identify one with a hoof like in Montreal, always with a claw. They looked into manufacturers and such but were never able to find where the Montreal leageater actually came from.

Ah, haven't read the thread for that image.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

Excellent summary, GWBBQ. The image is maddeningly imprecise, with very few obvious or recognizable landmarks. I assume that once the right spot it found, a lot of it will fall into place - but NYC is a rather large place, and the right place is going to be difficult to track down.

I like what has been done with "New York" recently in this thread and it might be nice to do with other pictures.
Would you folks like me to do similar breakdowns of other pictures? Living a quick train ride from NYC makes me hope that one of the casks is there, but my hope as a science enthusiast (unfortunately not an actual scientist) is that we question everything that's been proposed and try to find a better match or otherwise disprove the hypotheses that have stood the test of time. I feel like I could provide a more impartial deconstruction of the murals I don't have an emotional investment in than I did of the assumed NYC painting. In fact, I would really like for someone well across the country to break down the symbolism and possible clues in the Cask 12 image without the biased eye through which I view it.

I mentioned in passing that I got my copy of the book from the library at work today, I have at least one observation that I think is very worthwhile to the thread (the presumed Russian Orthodox Church in the Cask 12 image clearly has windows that let the background show through.)

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands

GWBBQ posted:

I mentioned in passing that I got my copy of the book from the library at work today, I have at least one observation that I think is very worthwhile to the thread (the presumed Russian Orthodox Church in the Cask 12 image clearly has windows that let the background show through.)

Interesting. Would you say it looks more like Transfiguration now than before? Can you make out crosses more distinctly?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

BJG posted:

I'm just waiting for the day when people stop yakking about this puzzle and dig a hole in the ground, but I doubt it'll ever come.

Good old Wilhouse armed himself with a bulldozer and a ground-penetrating radar system and had a drat good try at digging one of these things up. Gotta respect that.

I know this is from a while back but I wanted to address it.

I know you haven't been here for very long, and I can't promise that anyone will get some ground penetrating radar, but people here are dedicated.

There are some people here who have stood in toilets in a pirate costume, put their penis in a glass flask, and even blown off a finger(gat) burning a GameCube (literally, I am in no way joking about this) for almost no reason.

Give it time. If any very concrete clues come up, it'll happen. This place is the right combination of dedicated and psychotic.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Kingnothing posted:

I know this is from a while back but I wanted to address it.

I know you haven't been here for very long, and I can't promise that anyone will get some ground penetrating radar, but people here are dedicated.

Speaking of which those of us in NYC should prove it by doing some scouting this Sunday:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552979

I'm still leaning toward McCarren Park for the first outing/scouting. Not because I think it's the most likely, but it's not insanely far for most people and we can grab a beer afterwards (or some tea for non-drinkers) and plot our next moves in case we don't just hit the jackpot on day 1.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Emacs Headroom posted:

Speaking of which those of us in NYC should prove it by doing some scouting this Sunday:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552979

I'm still leaning toward McCarren Park for the first outing/scouting. Not because I think it's the most likely, but it's not insanely far for most people and we can grab a beer afterwards (or some tea for non-drinkers) and plot our next moves in case we don't just hit the jackpot on day 1.

I'm still down around 6 or so. drat retail job.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

Gents, I may have found an interesting church for the NYC crew...

http://goo.gl/maps/b1XiU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Viking Blood posted:

Gents, I may have found an interesting church for the NYC crew...

http://goo.gl/maps/b1XiU

Why? It's not even Russian, it's Ukrainian. If you really want more pictures of it ill take some tomorrow, I pass it on my way to work.

For NYC goons, it's across the street from McSorleys.

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps
Anybody else catch themselves making mental notes of architectural details in their surroundings despite the fact that there is no treasure where you live? The Chicago one was found first yet I still catalog lamp posts and such as I walk to work.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Boston(???)

This has been bugging me for a little while, and it may have already been answered, but uh...

Fistgrrl posted:

The one associated with Boston was associated with Salt Lake City because this shape looks like Utah.

How come that shape kinda look like a reverse Nebraska? :confused:

I mean one of the borders is going in the wrong direction but, you get the idea.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 13, 2013

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Fistgrrl posted:

Anybody else catch themselves making mental notes of architectural details in their surroundings despite the fact that there is no treasure where you live? The Chicago one was found first yet I still catalog lamp posts and such as I walk to work.

Well, I live in one of the cities and I am digging in my backyard to expand my vegetable garden while fantasizing that the clues actually match up to things like my birdbath and my old rusty water spout.

When I begin mentally matching the image outlines to the cracks in my walkway, I know its time to take a break.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Fistgrrl posted:

Yep, this one has left a mark.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Fistgrrl posted:

Yes, actually, although I'm in Austin so it might be a little easier for me. That plus my brain normally does that kind of stuff already anyway, so.... yeah.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Kingnothing posted:

Why? It's not even Russian, it's Ukrainian. If you really want more pictures of it ill take some tomorrow, I pass it on my way to work.

not like It means much, but wasnt ukraine part of the ussr (russia) in 1982?
:eng101:

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

Kingnothing posted:

I know it's not Russian but it does have Byzintine features. The domes have windows and are at different elevations. There is also two small and one large visible.
Cooper Union has the clock and Peter Cooper was into Indians. Cooper square is a triangle.

I don't know...just spitballing. I've found in the last week that its hard not to try to connect random stuff together to make things work.

Guuse
May 11, 2009

Fistgrrl posted:

I'm finding myself trying to pattern-match stuff from the Montreal pic constantly, and I live something like 2000 miles away.

Along those lines:

Montreal

The :cthulhu: column I posted earlier is definitively NOT a clue. The work in question is actually The Cactus Modulaire and is from 1986.

I'll just assume that the artist was a cask-hunter who went mad with too much cognitive bias and this was his answer to "Giant pole, giant step." It's even exactly 10 feet tall, and 10 is a big number for the Montreal pic.

This next bit actually looks kind of close, though. The distinctive curl of hair on the left side of the gnome's face:

The details above the bronze reliefs on the Ignace Bourget Monument in front of the Cathedral across the street from Dominion Park:

From this bad boy, shown with the Macdonald Monument on the right:

Pro: The way the hair creases on the inside rather than curl across when it reaches the top. Also, the way the hair is lit accentuates the round part at the top of the curl that makes it similar to the details in the statue.

Con: The inside part on the left seems to drop straight down, rather than curving like on the statue. At the top, the hair does continue past the "lit" part if you look closely enough.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Uhhh I dunno what you're seeing but I don't see it like at all.

Its not going to be nearly that obscure and weird to make out.

Ah, haven't read the thread for that image.

It doesn't mean that that legeater statue doesn't exist elsewhere though. The problem with cask 9 is that the only thing at all that ties it to Montreal is that foot and the fact that there is supposed to be a cask in Canada. Therefore, cask 9 could or should be Montreal. But there's not really much in the way of actual evidence (long lat is fuzzy at best, the collar sorta looks like the St. Lawrence near Montreal). They tried in the Q4T thread to find something else to either tie it to Montreal or to place that legeater elsewhere and I actually think that's not without value. They were able to find lightposts that were exact in every detail but the foot, so its not impossible that the feet could exist elsewhere as well.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 13, 2013

Guuse
May 11, 2009

MassaShowtime posted:

Uhhh I dunno what you're seeing but I don't see it like at all.

Its not going to be nearly that obscure and weird to make out.

It doesn't mean that that legeater statue doesn't exist elsewhere though. The problem with cask 9 is that the only thing at all that ties it to Montreal is that foot and the fact that there is supposed to be a cask in Canada. Therefore, cask 9 could or should be Montreal. But there's not really much in the way of actual evidence (long lat is fuzzy at best, the collar sorta looks like the St. Lawrence near Montreal). They tried in the Q4T thread to find something else to either tie it to Montreal or to place that legeater elsewhere and I actually think that's not without value. They were able to find lightposts that were exact in every detail but the foot, so its not impossible that the feet could exist elsewhere as well.

Eh, maybe it's just me, then. The "C" there has stood out to me since I first saw the picture. Here's specifically what I was looking at:

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
That's three out of ten done.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I see a lot of stuff about verse 7 being the sf verse. How sure are you guys of this? I get the Twain reference for sf but im not sure thats the verse for it.

In the sf picture (top is definitely Alcatraz ) the Chinese dragon is leading up to those numbers on the left and right. Chinatown leads up to a really popular peer in SF. The numbers are 1' 2' 3 on the left and 1' 2' 2'. So the last two numbers are 3,2. Peer 32' which is directly across from Alcatraz and where you take tours from. The 5th verse sounds like it's talking about Alcatraz as well as the fact that just south of peer 32 is the Citadel.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Btw sorry for coming into this so late. Terribly cool thread though

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Florida

You'd need a very good reason to think this was anywhere except the Fountain of Youth as summarised here. Everything adds up - no doubt about it. One of the strongest confirmers is the SELOY acrostic in the verse - the name of the original village on the site. (A number of Q4Ters have photographed and even dug inside the park, though I'm interested in persuading someone to check outside in Magnolia as explained at the bottom of P25 of this thread. I regard this as one of the best chances of finding a casque if someone was willing to do some exploratory digging.)

New Orleans

I'm interested in the renewed speculation about Jackson Square. Here's some of the stuff I like about Jackson, much of it probably noted already.

Comparison of Jackson layout with the clockface...

Aces high...21 = XXI...?

"To the place the casque is kept"...it was formerly called the "Place d' Armes", which also recalls the arm in the pic.

...this same sign also resembles the image in other ways...

"At stone wall's door the air smells sweet"...flower by castle pic.

The litany entry has: "Turquoise the Fays of France keep: stone". This is a "stone keep".

I once wondered if the casque might be buried at the back of this particular sign. (There's more than one on the fences around the square.)

I recently mentioned "giant pole / giant step" as a possible reference to Jack and the Beanstalk. (I seem to remember this story being mentioned in the Field Guide somewhere...if anyone has the book maybe they can check the entry for "Corporate Giants".) Maybe "Jack" points us to "Jackson".

Jackson comparison to the figure known on Q4T as "clock boy", with the clockface of St Louis Cathedral in the background...

...and there's BP saying people were "right about St Louis".

There's an old story about buried treasure at the base of the statue.

quote:

In 1868, a writer at the Daily Picayune posted a story about the discovery of buried treasure in the statue’s base. He wrote that a citizen noticed an iron pin in the blocks, pushed it in and a door opened, revealing a vault full of silver and gold coins, gold nuggets, diamonds and emeralds. The date of the paper? April 1. There’s no record of how many people that story fooled.

http://www.insidenorthside.com/jackson-square-heart-of-the-city-of-new-orleans/

Years ago I was sold on Jackson until I saw the following posted at Q4T, which succeeded in putting me off.

quote:

Jackson Square:

1) Give it up. Please folks. There are literally thousands of people walking by and through there every single hour. It's like digging in Times Square.
2) Lots and lots of police.
3) And, not many places to dig. Several patches of dirt, sure. 4 statues in the corner, plus Andrew Jackson in the middle.
4) There no visual cues from the image anywhere in the common environment to point me to that spot.

I'm starting to wonder if they were talking rubbish though...certainly didn't agree with (4).

BJG fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 13, 2013

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Kingnothing posted:

If any very concrete clues come up, it'll happen.
Thanks for the post! Although, I feel that people have likely seen as solid clues as they're going to get already in some of these locations. The clues are likely to get weaker over time rather than stronger as they're steadily eroded. Remember that the Chicago solve, which is blindingly simple by comparison with any of the others, still needed BP to personally help them pinpoint the right spot to dig because they couldn't find it...

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker
warning: the following post may drive you insane looking for connections that do not exist or are seemingly a coincidence. Reader discretion is advised.

So I wanted to check into the numerology of all of this and see if the letters meant anything besides making up the words. Since the St. Augustine clue seems to indicate the first letter of a word in each sentence can spell something, I though I would work off of those.

First, the verses which have been solved.

Using a simple a=1, b=2, etc, I added up the first letters of Chicago's verse.
w a l b I t t I f c f s o b h
23 1 12 2 9 20 20 9 6 3 6 19 15 2 8 added together makes the seemingly innocuous number 155.

Now onto Cleveland.

b a I b f b o s f s f t s f
2 1 9 2 6 2 15 19 6 19 6 20 19 6 makes the number 132.

So for fun I divided the numbers each way.

155/132 = 1.1742

132 / 155 = .8516

These numbers meant nothing to me.

So since I was already on this path to madness, I thought I'd check out the numbers produced from our next sure thing, roanoke.Much longer, it turns out.

p i r t t d w w a i a t u w o l a t b d y
16 9 18 20 20 4 23 23 1 9 1 20 21 23 15 12 1 20 2 4 25 makes the number 287.

Once again this meant nothing to me. But the result of the division shocked me.

287 / 132 = 2.1742

287 / 155 = 1.8516

Do those last 4 numbers in both results look familiar to you? Hint: scroll up.

I'm sure this has to be a coincidence. But a 4 am mind bending coincidence, indeed.

Edit - I've realized that 287 - 155 = 132 and 287 - 132 = 155 so that explains why the ratio is going on. I'm sure there's some kind of math law about numbers relating to each other but my degree is in theatre so I have no clue. I am fairly sure it doesn't mean anything though.

Edit 2 - OK I figured out how the math works on this one, I'm sure its some kind of law or something but you take the big number, divide it by 2 and you get 143.5, which is exactly 11.5 off from both 132 and 155. To prove this works with other random numbers, just choose one, 290 for instance, and half of which is 145. Let's add 15 and subtract 15 from 145, creating 130 and 160. 160/130 is 1.2307 and 130/160 is .8125. To follow the rule, 290/130=2.2307 and 290/160=1.8125 which are repeating numbers again. Oh the wonders of math!

sublyme fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 13, 2013

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011
Cask 6 / Saint Augustine

I believe I know the exact location of the Saint Augustine cask, down to a few square feet. I've matched all but two lines in the poem to exact landmarks/locations and I'm waiting for permission to dig. Unfortunately I've been told that someone was recently caught on the grounds doing some unauthorized digging and was unceremoniously booted out. So permission from the land owner might take some time to get. The wife and I are hoping to drive up to Saint Augustine sometime late this month or in July.

Lucid Nonsense posted:

In the image, noticed a resemblance to the Castillo De San Marcos on the flag. It's obscured by the purple circle, not sure what that means.

I pointed this out a few pages back. By my interpretation, it's just a pointer to the city of Saint Augustine, not specifically the Castillo. None of the other lines in the poem match up to anything in the Castillo, with the notable exception of "Shell, limestone" meaning coquina.

netwerk23 posted:

The negative space shape of the lower right kinda looks like Florida, but only somewhat. I'm sure the cloud shapes, owl, rock island and stone 'face' will all be clear once the integral clue is deciphered.

Until I get permission to dig and find a weekend to drive up, I won't know for sure, but if my interpretation is correct the owl / clouds / rock island / stone face have no bearing on anything. Or rather, I can't find anything meaningful to tie them to the location.

Very Nice Eraser fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 13, 2013

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Do you think that the cask is on private property? If so, was it once public property? If not, I might suggest you think about renting a radar before going after it. I would be surprised if any are buried on private property.

I think it would be great if we even found one but hope that if we do find one it will shed light on how to find the others.

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

Do you think that the cask is on private property? If so, was it once public property? If not, I might suggest you think about renting a radar before going after it. I would be surprised if any are buried on private property.

I think it would be great if we even found one but hope that if we do find one it will shed light on how to find the others.

I am 99% certain that the cask is buried in one particular park, because every clue points directly to that park, in what I think are very unambiguous ways. The park is technically private property, but it's open to the public. I think that the cask itself is buried at the very edge of the property, literally "at the base of a tall tree". If I get permission, I'm going to probe around with a metal rod before digging. Honestly I could probably get there around dusk and just go for it without anybody noticing, it's not in the park proper, but it's been there for 30 years, it's not going anywhere in the next few weeks!

The more I talk it up the more embarrassing it will be when it's not there, but I'm pretty confident. If I find it, I think it will shake things up, since I found the location based almost entirely on the poem, not the picture. The Saint Augustine picture is really vague: no clear numbers, roman numerals, pillars, building outlines, etc.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

I would be surprised if any are buried on private property.

I was just looking at P219 on the new scans, which says that no treasure is buried in a flower bed, cemetary, dangerous location such as a "dangerous highway embankment" or "any property owned by the contributors to the book, their families or friends". Page 0 says that "they may be hidden in your city or your local park or even in your own backyard".

I've always assumed they weren't buried on private property, but re-reading this, it sounds like maybe they could be.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

sublyme posted:

Oh the wonders of math!

If you keep going at it you'll be on your way to discovering Galois / finite field theory! The next steps would be figuring out the rest of the algebra of on modular arithmetic (taking just the fraction parts after the operation), then extending it to include new elements that are roots of existing elements (like how the complex numbers are made by extending them to include the root of -1).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011
Eh, screw it, here is my complete solution. I'd appreciate it if any Florida goons give me first shot at digging it up!

Step 1
The negative space to the right of the rock formation looks like the outline of the state of Florida. The palm tree and Spanish conquistador imagery also suggest Florida.

Conclusion: The sixth cask is in Florida.

Step 2
The gem in the rock formation looks like a star sapphire. Star sapphire is the birth-stone for September, the ninth month of the year. The birth-flower for September is the aster. There are nine asters near the bottom of the picture. The ninth verse has a lot of Floridian imagery, including seashells, tall grass, and rainfall.

Conclusion: The ninth verse corresponds to the sixth cask. The cask would have originally been rewarded with a sapphire.

Step 3
The conquistador's flag bears an unusual shape: a small square set in a circle with four triangular points. Disregarding the circle we have the shape and cartographic symbol for the Castillo de San Marcos in Saint Augustine, Florida. Saint Augustine's history is full of Spanish influence, which agrees with the conquistador.

The first letters of lines 11 through 15 spell "SELOY". Seloy is the name of the indigenous tribe (or possibly their leader) that met Ponce de Leon when he landed in Saint Augustine.

Conclusion: The cask is in Saint Augustine.

Step 4
In the stream near the bottom of the picture is the silhouette of a man with an arm raised. This is reminiscent of the statue of Ponce de Leon in the Plaza de la Constitucion in Saint Augustine. Ponce de Leon is the most well-known figure in Saint Augustine's history.

The second line of the verse is "Written in water". Legend says that Ponce de Leon discovered modern-day Saint Augustine while searching for the Fountain of Youth.

Conclusion: The cask is near the Plaza de la Constitucion, the Fountain of Youth Archeological Park, the Castillo de San Marcos, or near any other landmark or park referring to Ponce de Leon in Saint Augustine.

Step 5
Line 1 of the verse is "The first chapter". Saint Augustine is the oldest continuously European-inhabited city in North America; the first chapter of European influence in North America. The sign outside the Fountain of Youth Archealogical Park says "The First Chapter; Our U.S. History".

Line 9 of the verse is "Shell, limestone, silver, salt". Saint Augustine is known for the use of coquina in buildings and monuments. Coquina is a form of limestone made from seashells. The Fountain of Youth Archeological Park is the site of the "Landmark Cross", a set of coquina stones laid on the ground in the shape of a cross, that dates back to Ponce de Leon.

The Fountain of Youth Archealogical Park is also the site where the "Salt Cellar" was discovered. The Salt Cellar is a small silver trinket presented by Christopher Columbus to Ponce de Leon.

Line 10 of the verse is "Stars move by day". There is a planetarium in the Fountain of Youth Archealogical Park.

Conclusion: The cask is in the Fountain of Youth Archealogical Park.

Step 6
Line 8 of the verse is "You can still hear the honking". The Fountain of Youth Archealogical Park is bordered by four roads: Coleman Drive, Dufferin Street, Magnolia Avenue, and Myrtle Avenue.

Conclusion: The cask is near one of these four roads (as opposed to in the park proper).

Step 7
Line 5 of the verse is "Behind bending branches". Of the four roads that border the park, Magnolia Avenue (to the east of the park) has a canopy of oaks that bend over the street from both sides.

Conclusion: The cask is off the west side of Magnolia Avenue.

Step 8
Line 6 of the verse is "And a green picket fence". The park exit driveway on Magnolia Avenue is bordered by a green picket fence.

Conclusion: The cask is buried in the area where the park exit driveway meets Magnolia Avenue.

Step 9
Line 7 of the verse is "At the base of a tall tree". There is one tall tree in the picture, a palm tree. There is a single palm tree by the green picket fence at the Fountain of Youth Archealogical Park exit on Magnolia Avenue.

Conclusion: The cask is buried at the base of the palm tree at coordinates 29 degrees 54' 27.24" North, 81 degrees 18' 55.20" West.

Click here and turn to the left. The green picket fence, palm tree, and planetarium are all visible.

Notes
I wasn't able to find any conclusive latitude/longitude in the picture, other than the number 2. I also couldn't find anything to match the shape of the rock in the lower right-hand corner; I assumed it was just there to provide scale, so that the palm tree could be identified as the "tall tree". I don't have any explanation for lines 3 and 4 of the verse: "Near men; With wind rose". I'm hoping they will become clear when I get to the park. "Near men" is pretty vague. "With wind rose" sounds like it could refer to a flag, or a statue that implies wind, or something like that. Ultimately, the combination of "Shell, limestone, silver, salt" and "Stars move by day", along with all the references to Ponce de Leon almost certianly means it's in the Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park. The presence of the green picket fence, tree canopy, and palm tree are pretty conclusive, in my opinion.

The park is open to the public (for a small entrance fee) and they allow food, dogs, and weddings, meaning that they're not super concerned about preserving the landscape perfectly. My suspected location is right by the park exit, away from flower beds, monuments, or anything else other than a tree, a picket fence, and a gravel driveway.

I called the office and spoke to a woman named Amy. She said that she's had several inquiries about buried treasure on the park since she started working there in October of 2012, and one person was kicked out after being caught digging - she didn't say where. The park grounds are privately owned by a family, but run by the park director. The office told me I need permission from the owner, who is only accessible via email. I'm currently waiting for a reply.