Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

cool biRd pics posted:

E-Yolo?

E-Yolo!

E-yolo e-yolo e-yolo, e-yoloe-yolo.

E-Yolo!!!!

Choice quote:

edit: already has one backer! For $100!

About Me:
I am a recent graduate student of NYU Polytechnic and an aspiring entrepreneur who craves innovation. I currently have 2 apps in the App market- ‘ThenTagIt’ and ‘xLock’ which functionality were limited since I did it on my own.

Good to know the plan of cancelling academic scholarships so NYU can buy Polytech is going so smoothly. This is the reason why my Cal friends give me so much poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

So, I sent them a message calling them on their poo poo fully expecting not to get anything back. Nope.

INNOcrave posted:

:) Hi [senrath], thanks for the message. Are you talking about the filters? People create them but don't use them because they end up with so many. What the app does is allow you to create the filters with-in groups so you have a more organize inbox and a filter system that is now liked and actually useful.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wait, so he's saying he just added a nested structure to organize filters? And that people don't use filters even though they create them, because they create so many? Does he have any idea how they actually work? As in, they are applied automatically, so it doesn't matter if you have a thousand filters, it's not like you have to do anything to make them operate. I just...I guess I'm not his target demographic.

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

greatBigJerk posted:

I saw this game pop up on my linkedin not too long ago:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1243798631/poke-a-monsta

They claim it's a game with "10 levels of Retro style action". "Retro" now apparently mean "incredibly low effort". The gameplay appears to be solely about clicking poo poo on screen when it appears. They're trying to get funding so that they can buy GameMaker Studio Pro and Sketchbook Pro to finish the game. GameMaker makes some sense, but Sketchbook Pro is a touch overkill for a game built around pixel art.

The best thing is, as far as I can tell the basic gameplay stuff is almost literally the same as the default Game Maker Tutorial game, except with a few small additions and touch screen controls.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

senrath posted:

So, I sent them a message calling them on their poo poo fully expecting not to get anything back. Nope.

Just send him back this video, because holy christ, how the gently caress did he manage to graduate college? Do you just need to be able to do mid-level math and basic formal logic to get a CS degree or what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAT9nkGZa08

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I responded with something a bit more civil, since I kinda want to know his logic behind it before I just outright call him an idiot.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013
e-Yolo?

They mashed together terrible 1990's slang with current terrible slang. That is just the worst title for anything. :gonk:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Note to self, create YOLO Yoyo, call it YOYOLOYO.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
I wish there was a way to pledge money to erase current kick starter pledges. Say if the 1000th steam punk short film is approaching their funding goal, i could reverse pledge $100 dollars and effectively cancel out someone's poor taste. I fear the free market, it must be policed.

Someone start a kickstarter for this functionality.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
In other news, the future is here!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1944625487/omni-move-naturally-in-your-favorite-game

We've finally invented the human hamster wheel. I'm not quite a gamer, but i can appreciate the technology. I can already see the term 'omnitack' as a soon to be well known phrase among paramedics as they pry large sweaty boymen out of their steel nerd cage with the jaws of life. Cause of death: trying to get the best sniper position first.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Nnep posted:

I wish there was a way to pledge money to erase current kick starter pledges. Say if the 1000th steam punk short film is approaching their funding goal, i could reverse pledge $100 dollars and effectively cancel out someone's poor taste. I fear the free market, it must be policed.

Someone start a kickstarter for this functionality.

Steampunk is like Kickstarter mojo, you could start a campaign to make a documentary about roofing nails and get it funded as long as you wore a top hat and goggles and old timey clothes.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Nnep posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1944625487/omni-move-naturally-in-your-favorite-game

We've finally invented the human hamster wheel. I'm not quite a gamer, but i can appreciate the technology. I can already see the term 'omnitack' as a soon to be well known phrase among paramedics as they pry large sweaty boymen out of their steel nerd cage with the jaws of life. Cause of death: trying to get the best sniper position first.

I know it makes me a fatty fat, but this is a pretty cool idea and would be a great way to exercise. It's like that summer I lost like 30 pounds playing DDR. Now the "idea" is cool, but it'll come down to it's implementation which could be totally crap.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
http://www.pozible.com/project/7139
On an Australian crowdfunding site, Pozible, somebody wants to fund a search for the Tasmanian Tiger, an animal that's been extinct since 1936.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ok Amazing posted:

On an Australian crowdfunding site, Pozible, somebody wants to fund a search for the Tasmanian Tiger, an animal that's been extinct since 1936.

Maybe they watched The Hunter or are into cryptozoology?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ArcaneTree posted:

e-Yolo?

They mashed together terrible 1990's slang with current terrible slang. That is just the worst title for anything. :gonk:

If only they could make 90s dotcom bubble money. Instead they will make failed crowdsourcing no money

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Nnep posted:

At this point you might as well just go outside. You get actual fresh air out there and you might even see a squirrel!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ok Amazing posted:

There have been suspected thylacine sightings as recently as last year. Searching for an animal that disappeared so recently that there are still people living who have seen one is a far cry from a hunt for Bigfoot or Nessie.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Fatkraken posted:

At this point you might as well just go outside. You get actual fresh air out there and you might even see a squirrel!

Yeah, unless you live somewhere where it regularly gets over 90°F in the summer. Otherwise you have to get up at the asscrack of dawn or wait until 10-11 pm for the temperature to get to something reasonable.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

ok Amazing posted:

I'm right here!

treadmill posted:

The Omni is a patent pending technology resulting from two years of research, experimentation, design, and prototyping. The base of the Omni is a low-friction surface with grooves. Users wear special shoes with pins that fit into the grooves, keeping the foot stabilized and preventing unwanted lateral slide. The shoe sole has a higher friction coefficient on the toe to grant further stability and maintain balance. The result for users is a natural gait that allows for true virtual exploration and immersion.

Special shoes, not interested. And, won't you always feel like you're trying to walk uphill?

unbuttonedclone has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Jun 13, 2013

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Nnep posted:

Are you sure this isn't a government conspiracy to train the next generation of kids to be ready for military service?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Are you sure this isn't a government conspiracy to train the next generation of kids to be ready for military service?

No, man, they just plug those kids playing that game straight into man-killing robots and the kids don't even know the game they're playing is actually real and then one kid that can't play because he's handicapped finds out and has to stop the secret government program by hacking into their firewall's IP address using SMTP protocols and still manage to go to school and do his chores at the same time and and and

I actually think it's not overall a horrible idea, I like to see advancements in accessibility of immersive gear even if they seem goofy now. I mean, you watch the guy playing and you think, "Wow, he looks like an idiot mincing around in place like that," but that was largely the sentiment about people staring slack-jawed at their vidya gaems when they first came on the scene. Would I buy that thing? Naw. Do I think it's a step along the road to who knows what awesomeness? You betcha.

Bad Munki has a new favorite as of 15:55 on Jun 13, 2013

o prbl
Aug 25, 2012

Creeperssssss gonna creep
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/245908185/must-see-jesus-record-to-raise-your-vibrational-fr?ref=category

Some Batfuck-Crazy Person posted:

This amazing breakthrough only seems fit to use for Gods kingdom. I want to use the curiosity and wonder of this record as a vehicle to share some of Gods great news to the world! This is the "ME" generation and people are starting to forget where true happiness comes from. The world feels like it's crying out for an awakening. Things are just starting to get dark and foggy. I want to change it and with your support we can. I'm nobody special but I have an idea and record that the whole world will want to hear! I want to share a record Im making using Ancient Vibrational Technology! To praise our creator (God) and lift our spirits and to heal our celestial and physical bodies! Keep reading! Ok, this is a two parter. I am a science geek, I've played music my whole life. Music + Physics! Our goal (you and me) is to finish my God Record inspired by the most inspirational and uplifting music on earth.

What does it sound like? I'm using natural "VOICE" instruments to really give good viberations!. Cello, Classical Guitar, Flute and Violin and people say I sound like Donovan and Cat Stevens. The record will sound like an organic version of Enya and The Moody Blues and a little Shrek Soundtrack! I can't wait to share it!

There are secret frequencies Someone discovered in the Bible, solfeggio frequencies that are said to have been present in miracles. John the baptist, song of Solomon, That SECRET that David played that pleased the lord. Etc. Etc. Well I want to please the lord too!

I, uh... well, okay then. :catstare:

Schizophrenia's a hell of a thing, apparently.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

No, man, they just plug those kids playing that game straight into man-killing robots and the kids don't even know the game they're playing is actually real

"You mean I've been hurting guilty people?"

o prbl
Aug 25, 2012

Creeperssssss gonna creep
This one's probably already been posted in the thread, but self-aggrandizing poo poo like this just makes me rage: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/551129138/energy-hook-0?ref=card

Some Arrogant Prick posted:

Energy Hook is a grapple-and-swing-and-run-on-walls-for-style game by Jamie Fristrom, creator of the Spider-Man 2 game.

I’m Jamie Fristrom, and back in the dark ages I was technical director and designer on the Spider-Man 2 game, the one that came out with the movie. Unlike most movie license games, Spider-Man 2 turned out pretty good, and one of the reasons was its crazy swinging system, a system that I invented. Players who dove deep into the system really got a sense of what it might feel like to swing from rooftop to rooftop, holding onto dear life from a tiny thread, as momentum and gravity did their work.

You heard it here folks, he was literally the only designer on Spider-Man 2. He created it himself, with his bare loving hands. You see, the tens of other people at Neversoft just don't loving exist, they were a complete figment of everyones' imagination. Nope, it was just Jamie loving Fristrom and his hex editor manually assembling the bits that became Spider-Man 2. :suicide:

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

o prbl posted:

This one's probably already been posted in the thread, but self-aggrandizing poo poo like this just makes me rage: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/551129138/energy-hook-0?ref=card

You heard it here folks, he was literally the only designer on Spider-Man 2. He created it himself, with his bare loving hands. You see, the tens of other people at Neversoft just don't loving exist, they were a complete figment of everyones' imagination. Nope, it was just Jamie loving Fristrom and his hex editor manually assembling the bits that became Spider-Man 2. :suicide:

You don't understand. He invented gravity, rope, and momentum. The first two were easy, but you should have seen everyone before momentum was invented. Just trying to run somewhere was insane. They made a recent documentary about it called QWOP. Jamie Fristrom is a goddamn genius.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
And with the super-classy $1 goal, that makes the project essentially flex funding! Kickstarter's approval process is a total sham.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Bad Munki posted:

No, man, they just plug those kids playing that game straight into man-killing robots and the kids don't even know the game they're playing is actually real and then one kid that can't play because he's handicapped finds out and has to stop the secret government program by hacking into their firewall's IP address using SMTP protocols and still manage to go to school and do his chores at the same time and and and

I actually think it's not overall a horrible idea, I like to see advancements in accessibility of immersive gear even if they seem goofy now. I mean, you watch the guy playing and you think, "Wow, he looks like an idiot mincing around in place like that," but that was largely the sentiment about people staring slack-jawed at their vidya gaems when they first came on the scene. Would I buy that thing? Naw. Do I think it's a step along the road to who knows what awesomeness? You betcha.

Whoah Whoah, we're going to end up with some Ender's game like deal here?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Whoah Whoah, we're going to end up with some Ender's game like deal here?

I was thinking more along the lines of something intensely early 90s with Jonathan Brandis and Steven Seagal but your way works too I guess.

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003
Sooooooo.....

Apparently the "Kobe Red Beef Jerky" campaign was nothing but a drat, dirty scam.

It has been killed, and the internet is all up in arms over it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kobered/kobe-red-100-japanese-beer-fed-kobe-beef-jerky

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

KittyLitter posted:

Sooooooo.....

Apparently the "Kobe Red Beef Jerky" campaign was nothing but a drat, dirty scam.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kobered/kobe-red-100-japanese-beer-fed-kobe-beef-jerky

What... I... why on earth would you make jerky out of Kobe beef?
The ideal cut of meat for jerky is very lean, and Kobe is famous for its fattiness! :psyduck:

e:
VVVVVVVVVVVVV
Sort of. The term "Kobe" isn't regulated outside of Japan, i.e. any cow farmer (outside of Japan) can just say "My beef is Kobe!" and it will be sold in stores as "Kobe beef". There's also a lot of dumb myths surrounding Kobe beef like the cows are fed beer and given massages and listen to classical music. In general, just think of Kobe beef as a cut of meat with lots of marbling.

dijon du jour has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Jun 13, 2013

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013

KittyLitter posted:

Sooooooo.....

Isn't Kobe beef a scam in itself?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

dijon du jour posted:

What... I... why on earth would you make jerky out of Kobe beef?
The ideal cut of meat for jerky is very lean, and Kobe is famous for its fattiness! :psyduck:

I guess some people prefer their jerky to be rancid.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I guess some people prefer their jerky to be rancid.

It truly is an exotic, unique, and gourmet flavour!

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

ArcaneTree posted:

Isn't Kobe beef a scam in itself?

It's a scam as much as any other premium foodstuffs that foodies go nuts over.

They are more than happy to pay the massive premium for ingredients that they consider unusual or special.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
I'm going to invent kobe beets so I can get rich off of illiterate foodies and wealthy eastern europeans.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Noni posted:

I'm going to invent kobe beets so I can get rich off of illiterate foodies and wealthy eastern europeans.

If someone can invent a beet that doesnt scare the poo poo out of me the next morning until I remember I had beets, the world would be a better place

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nnep posted:

I've seen a free reports from E3 saying that this thing is actually pretty cool to use with the Occulus Rift. It's expensive as gently caress though and spending several hundred dollars on that, then several hundred on a rift, is not going to be popular (throw in more money for something like the Razer Naga or w/e it's called) with the price tag on it.

The biggest benefit would be all the movement you'd do playing games, so that could increase the appeal for non-marathon gaming.

taiyoko posted:

Yeah, unless you live somewhere where it regularly gets over 90°F in the summer. Otherwise you have to get up at the asscrack of dawn or wait until 10-11 pm for the temperature to get to something reasonable.

In the south when it gets hot enough it can still be close to 90 at night. When we had that heatwave last year I think it was 91 or 92F at 2am on one of those days. I think my AC ran non-stop for about 60 hours. :smith:

KittyLitter posted:

Sooooooo.....

Isn't actual Kobe Beef illegal in the US because the way Japan does things doesn't pass USDA requirements? Kickstarter being a US-based company could get in deep poo poo for essentially funding something that isn't legal. Most people don't know anything about Kobe Beef other than it's supposed to be good. When I see 'Kobe' Beef at a restaurant here in the US I just consider it an idiot tax on people that buy it since they're just paying a premium to be duped.

The page in the comments detailing this scam is pretty good though. At least kickstarter acts on violations when they won't get negative press for doing so.

The only person I know who has actually had Kobe beef, while he was in Japan anyways, mentioned it was good but nothing amazing. Personally I'll take bison over beef 9 times out of 10.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Isn't actual Kobe Beef illegal in the US because the way Japan does things doesn't pass USDA requirements? Kickstarter being a US-based company could get in deep poo poo for essentially funding something that isn't legal. Most people don't know anything about Kobe Beef other than it's supposed to be good. When I see 'Kobe' Beef at a restaurant here in the US I just consider it an idiot tax on people that buy it since they're just paying a premium to be duped.

The page in the comments detailing this scam is pretty good though. At least kickstarter acts on violations when they won't get negative press for doing so.

The only person I know who has actually had Kobe beef, while he was in Japan anyways, mentioned it was good but nothing amazing. Personally I'll take bison over beef 9 times out of 10.

"Real" Kobe beef is rarely exported. (Only to one US company and 2 or 3 Asian countries.) It's also heavily regulated as to which breeds of cattle, what they're fed, where they're raised, etc. in order to be allowed to be labelled Kobe beef. Sort of like Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, or Balsamic Vinegar of Modena.

So they could get Kobe in the US, but they'd have to buy it through the only approved importer. Looks like they were trying to get around that and claiming to be shipping directly from Japanese farms.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
I remember seeing those lovely iphone text screenshots on the kobe jerky page and thinking something like this would happen.

Types of projects guaranteed to be funded:

beef jerky
steampunk
iphone dongles
my lovely wallet design reinvented (how many ways can you reinvent the wallet)
multi-tool that does the same poo poo as every other multi-tool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What if I make a multitool iphone dongle made of brass and wood with cogs on it, it holds your money, and one of the tools is a piece of beef jerky?