Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
That looks awesome, but that's autovista. It's not necessarily representative of the quality you'll get in game when you're actually racing. Just like in FM4. Autovista cars already looked basically perfect, they just needed to bump it up to 1080p. During a race though... picture quality would plummet and you'd have jaggies literally everywhere. Let's hope its not the same in FM5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The gameplay footage i've seen so far from E3, actually does look pretty close to that screenshot.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

I said come in! posted:

The gameplay footage i've seen so far from E3, actually does look pretty close to that screenshot.

I sort of doubt you could really get all the visual information required to make this call out of 30 fps flash streams on the internet, especially stuff like aliasing and framerate. Not trying to be a dick, just saying.

Marauder Stig
Oct 28, 2010

One shudders to imagine what inhuman thoughts lie behind that mask. What dreams of chronic sustained cruelty.
Anyone here just going to stick with Forza 4 for the first few months after the xbone launch? There couldn't be that many people who have $600 to throw away on a console and 1 game, let alone people who are going to blow that kind of wad on a console that's probably going to flop or break.

People can't be that reckless with that much money...right? :ohdear:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Marauder Stig posted:

Anyone here just going to stick with Forza 4 for the first few months after the xbone launch? There couldn't be that many people who have $600 to throw away on a console and 1 game, let alone people who are going to blow that kind of wad on a console that's probably going to flop or break.

Not even the next few months, most likely the next two years. I'm for sure never buying an Xbox One, and I doubt there will be another racing game coming along on PC or PS3/4 that is as good as Forza 4.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I've made my decision on what I'm going to do. I'm going to pre-order whatever limited or collectors edition of Forza 5 that is announced but not the console. Then if the feedback is good ill pick up an Xbone. If not, hey, people always want the LCE.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

If nothing else this game is drop dead gorgeous. Easily the best looking racing game right now. It'll be interesting to see how much this improves over the next few installments.

That looks lovely. Maybe they can use the infinite power of the cloud to not have such a lovely model for my own car, which was probably scanned for FM1/2.

Honestly they are going to have to make this game abseloutely amazing to make me want to buy such a turd of a system.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

Marauder Stig posted:

Well I just found out I've got another kid on the way (oops!) so there is precisely 0.00% chance of me getting one. Luckily I'm nowhere close to being tired of FM4. :respek:

siig
Apr 4, 2005

Being nice is the shit ...
Ignoring the "I don't need/want/plan to buy an Xbox One" angle for a moment and focusing instead on the open-wheel announcement, what is everybody's wishlist? Mine:
  • I hope we see some F1 in addition to Indy cars (although I'm sure that if F1 was in then they would have led with that announcement)
  • Ariel Atom
  • Caterham 7
  • BAC Mono
  • Plymouth Prowler because why not
  • Comedy dune buggy option

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Faceless Clock posted:

I don't understand this attitude at all. They're at adding in an entirely new AI system, along with whatever new cars/tracks/whatever you'd usually expect to get, and some general graphics/physics improvements enabled by better hardware.

But because you can't race while it's raining (which has been pretty loving frustrating in ohhh, every game that's ever tried it) Forza 5 isn't a real update. My instinct is to think you're joking, but I know you're not.

Whilst I'm not joking I am possibly overreacting. There is a long time still between now and the release of the Xbone so who knows. They might pull something out of their hat that really wows me.

I mean don't get me wrong it will still be an amazingly fun game because it's Forza and Forza is the best and the graphics are just mindblowing. I'm not sure I can justify splashing £429 on a console just for Forza... although I did buy an Xbox 360 for Forza so maybe I'll just cave in come Xmas anyway.

I'm sure Forza 6 will have tons of amazing stuff since they'll have Forza 5 as a base to work on.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I've made my decision on what I'm going to do. I'm going to pre-order whatever limited or collectors edition of Forza 5 that is announced but not the console. Then if the feedback is good ill pick up an Xbone. If not, hey, people always want the LCE.

That's a great idea! Think I might join you on that one.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Jarf posted:

I'm sure Forza 6 will have tons of amazing stuff since they'll have Forza 5 as a base to work on.

What if it still lacks the features that everybody is asking for, though? When you look at the progression from Forza 3 to Forza 4, and now to Forza 5, do you have confidence that by the time the 6th game in the series rolls around, they will finally get round to dumping all the features that people have been wanting for years into the game?

I think that considering the ridiculous price of the Xbox One and how terrible the console looks to be in general, anybody interested in Forza would do well to play the waiting game. What do you have to lose by waiting for the price of the console to drop and hopefully, some of the absurd anti-consumer nonsense integrated getting dialed back if we're lucky? I think that anybody jumping into Xbox One ownership at launch (or even in the first couple years of the console's lifecycle) is asking for trouble, and taking a huge risk.

You've got nothing to lose by waiting for Forza 6 to roll around (and hopefully provide everyone with what they want, or at least some of it) and the inevitable price drop the Xbox One will receive after the PS4 trounces it. Who knows? They might have also worked out a wheel solution so you can use your Fanatec by then, as well? Besides, the crazy amount of DLC they'll no doubt pump-out for Forza 5 will be integrated into the base game once Forza 6 rolls around too, so all of that combined with the fees you'll save from not having to pay an Xbox Live subscription? You could take a holiday :)

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

MUFFlNS posted:

They might have also worked out a wheel solution so you can use your Fanatec by then, as well?
We (Microsoft) already have a solution. It is called the Xbox 360.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I just preordered an XBONE because Spa is (likely) in, so while I'm ripping through Eau Rouge in my 1976 McLaren M23 you guys can be sitting it out because there's no half-assed rain gimmick dragging the framerate down.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Eau Rouge will be DLC. Not the track, just Eau Rouge.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

MUFFlNS posted:

You've got nothing to lose by waiting for Forza 6 to roll around ...

And considering that Turn 10 already stated they want to run on a 2-year cycle (this is the real reason I think night and weather isn't in 5, because 2 years isn't enough time to cram that in), Forza Horizon 2 (or whatever it'll be called) will be here end of 2014, and Forza 6 end of 2015. Including 5, we'll have three, maybe four, new games with the Forza brand before we have a new POTUS.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

I just preordered an XBONE because Spa is (likely) in, ...
You have a source for this? I havent seen that mentioned.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I think he's going off the Racing tile in that menu screenshot. The track pictured looks like Spa.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

You have a source for this? I havent seen that mentioned.

Yeah, haven't seen it officially confirmed, but with that image (seen in a playable build on the E3 floor, not in some 'concept art') along with the sub-6mm accuracy boast on their new laser track scanning method, I kind of figure this is the time it's made it in.

Or maybe they've redone Indy from the ground up since everyone loves that track :suicide:

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
I seem to recall there was a scanning crew for Microsoft at Lime Rock a year or so ago I think, so that's another track that might have made it in. It host ALMS and such as well, so it's got good reason to be, other than being loving awesome of course.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

They mentioned Ron Howard's movie in the open-wheel announcement, so maybe Fuji will be in too. I looked up the '76 F1 season expecting to use that as a reason for Spa, but that was one of the years that there wasn't a GP there.

L_Harrison posted:

I seem to recall there was a scanning crew for Microsoft at Lime Rock a year or so ago I think, so that's another track that might have made it in. It host ALMS and such as well, so it's got good reason to be, other than being loving awesome of course.

And this needs to be true. Lime Rock would be like Maple Valley without all the rollovers.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

L_Harrison posted:

Speaking of ALMS, do you think with Grand Am and ALMS merging that we might see some Daytona Prototypes showing up? Or will Forza dump ALMS for LeMans proper.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I wonder if they'll be bringing back all the tracks from Forza 4 as well? Common sense would dictate that they would, but we've seen this franchise inexplicably lose tracks before (Forza 2 and Forza 4 being examples of this) and an argument could be made that visually updating all the tracks for the transition to Xbox One (as well as updating all cars for ForzaVista as Dan says) could be too large of an undertaking.

I wouldn't mourn the loss of tracks such as Hockenheimring, Mugello, Sebring, Sedona or Silverstone but at the same time, if we see a constant and steady increase of content as the franchise progresses and none of it is lost along the way, I can see the Xbox One being worth a purchase solely for Forza 7/8 once the console can be snagged for about $250 and Forza is rocking roughly 50 tracks and 1500 cars or so.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

Speaking of ALMS, do you think with Grand Am and ALMS merging that we might see some Daytona Prototypes showing up? Or will Forza dump ALMS for LeMans proper.

I have no idea. Forza is still involved with ALMS this season, but after the merge who knows. I'd like to hope that the partnership continues even under a different name.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The only track we have from the 1976 F1 season is the Nordschleife. They either have to add Monza (Lauda's return), Watkins Glenn (AMERICA), or Fuji where the championship was finally decided.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

[PA] has a lobby up that at 9PM will be C class smart cars. Someone asked that if they dont have that DLC can they take a Plymouth Cuda instead and I said "eh, whatever".

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

MUFFlNS posted:

I wonder if they'll be bringing back all the tracks from Forza 4 as well? Common sense would dictate that they would, but we've seen this franchise inexplicably lose tracks before (Forza 2 and Forza 4 being examples of this) and an argument could be made that visually updating all the tracks for the transition to Xbox One (as well as updating all cars for ForzaVista as Dan says) could be too large of an undertaking.

I think from what we've heard so far about Forza 5 that a lot of things that have been removed over the iterations are down to "We added some other stuff instead, and there is limited space on the disc/RAM" - for instance, in one of the stage demos (I think Gamespot maybe), Dan said that rubbering the line will return - which was apparently in Forza 2, but was removed for 3 & 4 without much mention that it ever was A Thing. Knowing that background things like increasing on-line grip over the course of a race was removed (and presumably the only explanation for removal like that would be space for other more obvious/desirable features) makes the inexplicable more.. splicable.

I've always felt that, with a wheel, F2 was a much more complex and challenging simulation than 3's driving characteristics felt like, but F3 added cockpits and once you get those it's really hard to go back to bumper/hood cam. And F2 was pre-Fanatec, so that variable changes the impressions a person gets as well. But finding out the track grip simulation has lessened over time makes me realize it wasn't just an opinion. And finding out it's coming back makes me really excited about F5. There better not be any countersteering assists on wheel settings this time.

It was definitely interesting to learn in that interview that F2 was in fact more sophisticated in the way it calculated grip and optimal line on the track than they'd ever let on. We know that tracks were lost over time, but I wonder what else behind the scenes has been dropped quietly to fit in more cars, more storefronts, more Autovista etc.

Obviously it's easier to remove things if people never knew they were features in the first place, and I'm hopeful that this being a launch title is offset by the fact that Turn 10 really know their stuff (unlike, say, the Madden team at the PS3/360 launch... or the Madden team 3 years after they launched, for that matter), and hit this out of the park.

Bring Positano Full back, that was one of my favorite roads. In fact, more tracks of all types (No Snake tracks)

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

Basticle posted:

[PA] has a lobby up that at 9PM will be C class smart cars. Someone asked that if they dont have that DLC can they take a Plymouth Cuda instead and I said "eh, whatever".

I am comin for dat rear end in about a half hour.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Bring Positano Full back, that was one of my favorite roads. In fact, more tracks of all types (No Snake tracks)

Snakes should be free DLC like in 3. I get that not everyone liked them, but they were okay by my book (except when every pubbie lobby was the full snake track).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Thought I'd have my new cockpit set up by now, but I threw the old one back together to put in some quick times.

1:40.753

3:02.057

Not the best times, but they'll do.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
I'm still trying to shave some time off Alps with the Pinto

Ford Pinto 1:39.007

I set a time on Camino Veijo as well, but I'm probably not going to do much more on there.

Lamborghini Countach LP5000 3:00.088

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...
Some crap driving but here's some 1080P 60FPS Cam footage from the show floor

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_forza_5_in_1080p_resolution-14253_en.html

:stare::fh:

I'm starting to wonder if you will be able to trade in your mortal soul for this console.

Sex Vicar fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jun 14, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sex Vicar posted:

Some crap driving but here's some 1080P 60FPS Cam footage from the show floor

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_forza_5_in_1080p_resolution-14253_en.html

:stare::fh:

I'm starting to wonder if you will be able to trade in your mortal soul for this console.

Jesus gently caress, this is so incredible looking.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
I have a cable box, I have an HBMI port in my tv, I have high speed internet, I have $100 more to spend on a camera I'll point at the wall. So, why aren't we getting Forza on launch?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Seymour Butts posted:

I have a cable box, I have an HBMI port in my tv, I have high speed internet, I have $100 more to spend on a camera I'll point at the wall. So, why aren't we getting Forza on launch?

I can't even get an Xbox One even if I wanted to. The Kinect camera would never be able to pick me up because my room is too small, making it so the system won't work. I'm pretty sure you have to at least be able to configure the Kinect camera once and if it can't detect you, the Xbone won't work period.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I can't fathom that being the case. Room size should not matter, any link?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Seymour Butts posted:

Well unless Microsoft made some massive changes, the previous Kinect is pretty drat strict on what it'll pick up and how much space in your room there needs to be. A lot of people have talked about how the camera on the 360 was useless for them. Maybe the Xbone's is better? But I sure as hell wouldn't want to take that risk.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Seymour Butts posted:

Room size does matter. I have a Kinect and can't use it due to my room size; you NEED to be far enough away from a Kinect for it to see you standing up fully or you cannot use it. My 360 is on top of my dresser and my bed is across from that, giving a separation of about 3 feet, not nearly enough for Kinect to work. I can only use it when my family is away and I can set it up in the living room.

So yeah, I could very well see it as a reason not to buy an Xbox One, although that isn't the main reason I'm passing it up.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Stand on your bed :smug:

yea, I got nothing

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm in the exact same situation as Cannot Find Server. There's just way too many reasons to avoid the Xbone, while Forza 5 is the one and only reason to buy it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

I said come in! posted:

Well unless Microsoft made some massive changes, the previous Kinect is pretty drat strict on what it'll pick up and how much space in your room there needs to be. A lot of people have talked about how the camera on the 360 was useless for them. Maybe the Xbone's is better? But I sure as hell wouldn't want to take that risk.

The Xbone's Kinect has a much wider FoV, everything I've seen about that indicates it solves the small room, tall person problems the first one had.

• Locked thread