Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Penguissimo posted:

Perhaps you worded this awkwardly, so forgive me if this isn't a surprise, but you do realize the "Beef gives birth to a board game" gag

I did not! Even as a big fan it's difficult to have encyclopedic knowledge of a strip that spans such a wide stretch of time. Either way my opinion stands that this would turn into Dilbert 2.0 and I've never wanted to be more wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Scags McDouglas posted:

I did not! Even as a big fan it's difficult to have encyclopedic knowledge of a strip that spans such a wide stretch of time. Either way my opinion stands that this would turn into Dilbert 2.0 and I've never wanted to be more wrong.

Looks like it's time for another archive binge or two!

In all seriousness, I share your hope and a bit of your fear, brother.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
To be fair, the teaser that leaked wasn't something we were meant to see. It was very much a proof of concept to be shopped around to different animation studios and is most likely not representative of any final product at all.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Is the leaked teaser we're all talking about still that like 30 seconds thing that quickly flipped between short animated images/scenes from a long time ago, or something newer? Cause that one has all of like 3 frames of Roast Beef on a hospital bed with a blanket over his lady bits.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

glug posted:

Is the leaked teaser we're all talking about still that like 30 seconds thing that quickly flipped between short animated images/scenes from a long time ago, or something newer? Cause that one has all of like 3 frames of Roast Beef on a hospital bed with a blanket over his lady bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_97q16TFxk

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

This is great, the voices are jarring because everyone has their own in their head, and the animation is a little choppy but it's a test thing. Also, roast beef is still the color of depression, and not surprisingly voiced by Onstad.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
The problem with the teaser video is that it looks like a flash vid from 1999 and also the jokes aren't funny when animated.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Some dialogue just shouldn't be read aloud.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

morestuff posted:

Some dialogue just shouldn't be read aloud.

Dialogue can be hella read all day man, just not like over a phone while you're on the can, which is apparently the way they did this thing.

Read those words out loud, they sound crispy unless you are doing it wrong. Like they did.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I'm iffy on a lot of that, after rewatches, but I always laugh my rear end off at the Scones bit.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I think I like the scones bit because it's the closest Huss gets to nailing Ray's voice. A lot of the other bits aren't quite there yet.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Honestly, I think it works the best solely because it's the only one that was written to be animated. The others feel kinda clunky because they were originally written as comic strips and shoehorned into animation.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I dunno I just never understand the anxiety and barely contained rage at happenings like an achewood cartoon. It may be funny, it may not, if it's not it costs you nothing but the time to watch it, which can't be that much of a concern, it ain't like Onstad sucks the memories of the strips out of our heads to make the cartoon.

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
I kinda feel bad for Onstad, what with all these people making GBS threads on a very rough cut that was never meant for public consumption

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
The Philippe's present one is really a clunker, isn't it. There's that time wasted in transition when Philippe and Ray are running to see Beef and then the "so wacky" line I think genuinely only works in print.

Scags McDouglas posted:

. . . pit of disgust . . . deserving of the two seconds of eye flicking it would take . . . demanded about 10 seconds of my time . . . droll theatrics painfully transpire . . . humorless burden . . . propped up by a temporary scaffolding of fans . . . we weren't enchanted . . . penny stocks were a better option . . . I am sorry, my brothers.

Apparently being a hardcore Achewood connoisseur hasn't taught you how to not write like a frothing doofus.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I really like Onstad as Beef.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
The Beef Baby bit suffers from being that strip acted out verbatim, and conforming to the panels too much. Action flows differently in animation than in sequential art.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08222005

The point where Ray slows down, and tells Philippe "Don't talk!" drags on the scene's momentum. In the panel, that "Don't Talk!" is a flicker of thought. It informs nothing, and it's not funny. In the strip, it's unnecessary, but it has zero real effect. In animation, it demands that second and a half of being spoken, and breaks the flow of the scene. Next frame is an establishing shot, and expository. If you know the character, the big fancy R on the door is enough to infer it's Ray's room. Show the door. Show the characters entering the door. Done. The rest of the conversation actually sounds like they're reading it off of the panels in the recording booth(Well, Onstad does). It doesn't sound like two people speaking to each other. It sounds like two people going over lines for the first time.

Scones works much better for the format. It's a mostly uninterrupted shot. Two people are having a conversation. Onstad's writing, and the VAs do all the work(This is two professional VAs in the scene, and it shows). Quick cutaway drives the punchline home, and that's it.

Mood Whiskey is another verbatim strip.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10212005

Just Roast Beef, instead of Teodor. Probably so they wouldn't have to spend time introducing Teodor. It's better suited for translation, and they make better choices in animating it. Instead of framing the panel with Ray holding the black bottle, and saying "Ooh, cool! The all-black bottle!", they just have him pick it up, without breaking the shot. The close-up on Ray is good for emphasizing the mood change, and that's really the only camera shift in the scene.

The use of the medium is a mixed bag, but there are definitely bright spots that show someone on that team can think like a director. I also hope to god they find a real VA to do Roast Beef. I'm not trying to hate on Onstad, but he's just not a voice actor. Wah, he'll have to stick to being an immensely talented writer.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

The big problem with the baby bit is it hinges on this weird "actors trying to sound like characters acting badly" schtick, and we just aren't used to Onstad and Huss enough to sense the change, so it just comes off as them delivering it like a 5th grade play. Not the best strip to pull from for a first run at animated Achewood.

I could easily be wrong, but the only reason I think that's the problem is that Onstad sounds a lot more relaxed and in-character in the toilet party bit. Still not great, but I'd be willing to bet he wouldn't be Beef's final voice in a fully produced version of Achewood anyway.

Maduo fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 15, 2013

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
FWIW my wife is familiar with achewood but hasn't read through it like I try to get her to. I sat her down with the test video and she laughed within a few seconds, and throughout the whole thing. Considering this is just direct comic translation, I think that's a good sign. I'm looking forward to original for-tv content, because if there's anything we know Onstad can do it's put out funny poo poo in achewood, and I think he's going to find his motivation with this medium.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Jerusalem posted:

Later in that same strip:

I have such a specific way I read this panel in my mind each time. He just gets so angry when he gets to the word "hideous" that in my mind he pauses a moment before spitting it out. I love the way Achewood gets you to "hear" its characters.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

The Time Dissolver posted:

Apparently being a hardcore Achewood connoisseur hasn't taught you how to not write like a frothing doofus.
I think my favourite part of that post was that he completely missed that the skit he was specifically saying was nothing like how one of the comics would run was actually lifted verbatim from one of the strips.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

The Time Dissolver posted:

The Philippe's present one is really a clunker, isn't it. There's that time wasted in transition when Philippe and Ray are running to see Beef and then the "so wacky" line I think genuinely only works in print.

Yeah I was in sort of a strange mood when I wrote that. I'll just go ahead and take my licks on this one.

Shmoses posted:

I think my favourite part of that post was that he completely missed that the skit he was specifically saying was nothing like how one of the comics would run was actually lifted verbatim from one of the strips.

Naw my point was more that the punch line was extremely telegraphed, which can sort of work in the comic strip because a reader can jump ahead at their own speed, but in the skit it just became a chore to sit through. But really one thing I like about this thread is that my inability to recall every last strip from 2002-present can be a point of ridicule. Ain't nobody finding that sort of environment outside anywhere.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

When did Onstad add all this new merchandise? Rad! RAAAAAAD!

(has he done anything at all about the second cookbook or what)

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
There was something about a future makegood but nothing since.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Angry Boat posted:

When did Onstad add all this new merchandise? Rad! RAAAAAAD!

(has he done anything at all about the second cookbook or what)

I just want book collections of the comics themselves! I've got all of the original ones (several are signed first print), along with the GOF hardcover.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Revol posted:

I just want book collections of the comics themselves! I've got all of the original ones (several are signed first print), along with the GOF hardcover.

I was in love with the Dark Horse hardcovers and I wish they'd kept going, they were absolutely brilliant. I'm guessing they weren't financially successful or something :smith:

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
I really miss those Roast Beef greeting cards. I have one "I Am Sorry I played it Huffy on the Phone / [inside] It's just That Society Did My Nerves Up Wretched" and one "I'm Sorry I Forgot All Kinds of Stuff About You / [inside] I Was Having a Panic Attack" card left. I'm waiting for the perfect moments to use them.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005
Does anyone remember where Pat wrote about starting a show called "Soy You Think You Can Dance"? I searched his blog but didn't see it, it's one of the funniest things I've ever read.

Madoushi
May 9, 2003

Some days, you just get up on the wrong side of the bed...

tacoman165 posted:

Does anyone remember where Pat wrote about starting a show called "Soy You Think You Can Dance"? I searched his blog but didn't see it, it's one of the funniest things I've ever read.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/16416061 is the only thing I can find.

quote:

Well, I was having a little fun last night, and I came up with an idea that made Rod and me laugh. It’ll make you laugh, too. Sure, it’s based on popular culture, which is always a losing bet, but I think for now it’s ok to put it out there. Not everything I write needs to be kept for the ages (although I am sure future scholars will be able to extrapolate anthropological value from this).

There is a television show called, “So You Think You Can Dance.” Rod and I, I hate to admit, watch it on a weekly basis. The base appeal is obviously that it, like most popular television, allows us to act as judge and jury over those who are more wealthy and more attractive. Also, everyone can tell at a primal level if Jeverson or Bainicca is “on” during a particular routine, but my personal deep background in swing dancing makes it all the more interesting to me and those who watch with me. Any dolt can tell who has “it” and who doesn’t right away, but on top of that, if you have my knowledge, or access to it, you can see who’s actually been paying attention during their lessons, and who’s just phoning it in because their agent got them the gig and their career is otherwise on life support.

Well, why let the big networks have all the fun? Rod and I thought it would be a great idea to host our own version of the show, on local cable. I got a legal pad, he mixed himself a big Fernet-cucumber spritzer, and pretty soon we had the outline—as well as a sizable guest list—firmly in place. “Soy You Think You Can Dance” was born! (“Oh, it’ll be a scream!” Rod shrieked. I am not a big fan of faggy overspeak, but it did put a little wind in my sails to hear his enthusiasm.)

The premise serves a bit of an agenda, I will admit. In this program, our guests are paired with vegan dance professionals (or yogi, in some cases), and their lumbering, beast-swollen, unctuous physicalities are brought into sharp contrast with those of their more healthful partners. The program would be sponsored by my new line of agave-agar macerated Anachazi berry “Soothies™,” a nutrio-negative, guiltless, spoonable room-temperature treat that comes with a sachet of hand-mellowed Kordacha pistils. Win-win. Time to do a few dry runs.

As I would be serving as head judge, I couldn’t just dance with Rod, so I recused myself and called on my dumb old friend Ray, as he has modest physical abilities and is typically not doing anything of importance. I told him we were throwing our own dance contest show and, prima donna that he is, he agreed to come right over and cut a rug. Sure, he’d be dancing with Rod, but that hardly matters to a dancer of skill. Rod does, in fact, do everything I do but backwards and, yes, often in heels. He did on my birthday, anyway.

Ray came over and quickly surveilled the situation.

“Where the women at?” he asked. “I ain’t just gonna moonwalk while you turn kale into weak clear bones, yo.”

“You’ll be dancing with Rod,” I replied, ticking a few items off on my clipboard. “Don’t worry, you’ll lead. He follows like a shadow.”

“We’re dude-dancin’? You didn’t say nothin’ ‘bout that on the phone, hoss. You sure you ain’t just mad at me, in some kind of way?”

“There will be women that you can smell and ogle, Ray,” I assured him. “Don’t worry. This idea is very new and we didn’t want to lose steam while we waited around for females to get ready.”

He paused at this. “Good thinkin’,” he then said. “You tell some woman she’s gonna be on TV, she’s gonna be in the bathroom for two weeks pluckin’ god knows what from god knows where, and when she comes out, she’s only gonna seem like three bucks nicer.”

“Exactly. So, do you have a musical preference for your practice number?”

“Drop the needle on Fat Bottom Girls, G, and I’ll take your eyes to heaven,” he said, pretending to slap a fat-bottomed girl, and then fluttering his hands to the sky.

“You know I don’t have any Queen, Ray. How about something else.”

“Well, you dig on Fela Kuti?”

I have to admit, I do have a tiny bit of pop music in my collection, and Fela Kuti is one of the rare allowances. However, I more enjoy his music intentionally, rather than out of any genuine joy that it creates for me. It just seems responsible to own some. I put the album on, started the turntable, and Fela Kuti’s “Zombie” began to make its way through the speakers.

Ray began working a strut in a tight backwards circle, his arms crossed, his mouth open in a wide smile, and Rod fanned into the room wearing his latest favorite kimono (the tacky one with the hibiscus print obimakura that is anything but slimming). You could tell that Ray didn’t really want to engage him, but Rod fell into his arms like water and worked his remarkable energy off of him in such a smooth way that you could tell Ray’s inhibitions were melting. Ray did, I admit, develop a repartee of some pretty clever energies of his own, and they clearly understood one another. At the end of the six minute song, Rod squealed and skipped off to change into a fresh kimono while Ray did a victory moonwalk around the room.

“Come on, Pat!” he yelled, clapping above his head as he continued to moonwalk, now in a figure-eight. “Join a brother!”

I put the needle down once again and took the challenge. I’d wear him out, and prove my concept. We engaged, and then I spun a 15/12-step Geithner’s Arabesque around his stationary Roger Rabbit (ugh, please) and met him dead in the eye with a perfectly stuck heel-toe finial.

Ray was undaunted, and had yet to break a sweat. “You know, Pat,” he laughed, “If you had some thumpin’ aftermarket titties, I’d suck ‘em!”

He was trying to put me off my game with “field talk.” I’d have none of it. I spun three rat-a-tat pirouettes (Salzburg modified, right lead, 270-270-180), stuck the finish with perfect balance, and pointed directly at his face, my other hand holding the back of my head. He made a silly grin and “comedy farted.” God, the omnivorous. How they can summon such things up on demand. How we suffer them.

In response to my carefully-studied and precise steps, he performed a move that can best be described as “lying down on one’s chest and cavorting like a leaping dolphin.” It seemed to derive from the cardboard floors of the hip-hop sidewalks and abandoned parking lots. When he was done, he clapped his heels a few times—with his hands behind his back—and then, with surprising agility, launched himself backward onto his feet. His energy only seemed to grow with this successful move. I could not let it go un-bested, though at this point my old knee injury was starting to sear like a mentholated rug burn and my strength was flagging a little (had the protein index in Tana and Jimruth’s carrot-rubacha bars gone down due to some fluctuation in the sun patterns over their plant beds?).

I prepared to launch into my best swaggering Harlem coat check quad-step, but then he began clapping in syncopated Brazilian half-beats, which distracted me. I took a moment to gather my thoughts, then made my first quad box, doffing an imaginary fedora and handing it to the coat check girl, to whom I winked. I even mimed that I didn’t want gum. Despite the quality of my choreography, he kept clapping, and screwed up my rhythm to the point where I had to save the routine with a little low-knee off-time dénouement. It was elegant, but obviously a pit stop rather than a victory lap. I excused myself to the kitchen for a Brita, and he kept on dancing. He was thumping around so hard I thought he’d tear the carpet and loosen the floorboards. I nearly yelled at him, but held my head and found composure at the last second.

While I was recovering with spirits of ammonia and some highly dilute agave, Rod came in and felt my forehead. “You’re so clammy, baby,” he said. “You really should sit down.” I told him I was having none of it, but then he checked my pulse (he has a friend who’s a phlebotomist, and I’ve seen them practice together) and found that I was dangerously “under.” He immediately went to the cupboard above the bean spices and grabbed my sucro-gluactin tablets, which we reserve for emergencies. Within moments of swallowing them, I was feeling a little more stable, and my left eye stopped twitching. I also ate five peanuts, as a precaution. Rod guided me to the bedroom, and I must admit, I did keep my hand against the wall the whole way to ensure my balance. He tucked me in, velcroed the blackout curtains, and set the white noise machine to “waterfall,” my personal favorite and one that I can only use when he’s not around (he says it brings back unhappy memories of a different time).

I had just nestled into a blissful pre-sleep state when they started playing the Fela Kuti again and dancing together. The whole house shook with the weight of them, and it seemed to go on for hours. Through the bedroom door I could hear Ray call Rod his “sister from another mister,” and Rod moan something about ordering chicken marsala for two (this was followed by what I can only deduce was a high-five). This gave me the pique and I rolled over angrily, which made my left arm fall asleep. As I was stretching it out and mentally composing a strongly-worded email to Tana and Jimruth about their quality control, I drifted off into a fitful resting-state and awoke two hours later to the sounds of silverware clinking against plates in the dining room.

I’m going to start over with Soy You Think You Can Dance tomorrow, when I can have Glacier Bee from The Yoga Chalet serve as Ray’s dance partner. My chakras are just too out of alignment right now for me to continue; I’ll attack the project with full prana after I find an alternative alternative energy bar.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

That's it, thank you so much!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh God that was great, I'd tried to find it earlier and got lost down the rabbithole that is Pat's amazing blog (particularly the entry where he starts screaming angry obscenities at imaginary people who are pissed off he hasn't updated his blog yet), and it's great to hear callbacks to his swing-dancing and his knee injury.

“If you had some thumpin’ aftermarket titties, I’d suck ‘em!”

I miss you, Achewood :unsmith:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, I hadn't read that before. Some nights, Ray'd go home with dolphin burns over 90% of his chest. So awesome.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I figure someone oughta repost Gavok's magnificence from the Ruin the Moment thread

Gavok posted:

League of Extraordinary Achewood.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Phy posted:

I figure someone oughta repost Gavok's magnificence from the Ruin the Moment thread

It's incredible how well that fits. That's amazing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I ended up putting all my Achewood Ruin the Moments together in one post. Maniac Clown's awesome Killing Joke one is there too.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Gavok posted:

I ended up putting all my Achewood Ruin the Moments together in one post. Maniac Clown's awesome Killing Joke one is there too.

Why is Hulk Red?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Capsaicin posted:

Why is Hulk Red?

That's Red Hulk, who is a separate character. He's General Ross.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Now, Don't tell me you can't see this young lady leaning against a Baja behind a McDonalds.
This IS Darlene.
:nws:http://i.imgur.com/xZULhN0.jpg:nws:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I don't see it. Darlene's more a person who would look super skeezy regardless of context. And older and also a cat.

Edit: Or bear, or whatever the gently caress she's supposed to be. It wasn't until I went about reading Achewood in its entirety that I realized Ray wasn't a bulldog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

It wasn't until I went about reading Achewood in its entirety that I realized Ray wasn't a bulldog.

What are you talking about, of course he's a bulldog! :confused:

See, that's Ray right there!

Edit: And here he is crying, but not going a-bloo-bloo bloo

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 20, 2013