Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Guuse posted:

Montreal
Burns Statue:

This is the outline I was talking about a couple of pages ago.

The statue in Dorchester Park:

The collar rotated:

I think you're pushing this way too hard. It doesn't fit. It doesn't match. I know you want it to match, but other than the very top part, which you can't see fully, nothing lines up. By your own admission, the right side doesn't match at all.

If you're having to force something to fit, it's not the solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
I'm sorry I'm not as smart as you okay.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
HOUSTON
HOUSTON, WE HAVE A DEVELOPMENT HERE

OK, something I just noticed, looking back through the thread. Someone mentioned that "cold as glass" in the verse that's supposed to be for Houston refers to a line in Anthem that mentions train tracks.

At one point, Preiss was pressed as to where the cask was. I cannot find the quote right now, but his hint was, "All I can say is "I"".

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

I believe what he later said when pressed about it was "All I can say is I."

Because of how strange it is, I'm wondering if it is, itself a clue. Could the second "I" be a Roman numeral 1? There's two I can point out, one in the middle of the orb pillar and one near the top of the camel pillar.

All this time, everyone has thought that he was referring to the I shaped section of Hermann Park or the I shaped pillars in the image. I went back to look at the synopsis for Anthem and this jumped out at me.

quote:

and the concept of individuality has been eliminated (for example, the use of the word "I" is punishable by death).

gently caress, I've got goosebumps now. I think we need to go read Anthem. This is the first time I've seen any connection to Houston and Anthem. Here is the text at Project Gutenberg.

einTier fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 14, 2013

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
there's easier ways to trick people into reading ayn rand, you know

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Abugadu posted:

there's easier ways to trick people into reading ayn rand, you know

I'm actually laughing over here. Been skimming the novel. It was old at the time, but Rush's 2112 came out in 1976 and had a lot of allusions to the novel, so it stands to reason that it might be in Preiss' mind when he was burying the treasure.

Q4T board posted:

Hell yeah!  I love the "I" clue.  That literary note is a worthy find.

My inclination is to think of the shape of a section of railway track.  It's basically an "I" beam isn't it?
Yes.  That is true.  But the verse that is said to refer to Houston has the line "cold as glass", which is found in Anthem.  There's an obvious connection.  In the novel, that line refers to a train track that the protagonist finds -- it's actually a subway line that he finds near the city theatre.  There's also a forbidden forest in the novel, which is said to be full of mythical beasts that will devour and kill anyone venturing in -- "no lion fears?" -- but they do not actually exist.  The protagonist finds an abandoned home after venturing through the forest.

There's a lot more, but that's just what stands out to me so far.  

Houston does not have a subway.  However, there is part of the Houston Tunnel system that is accessible from Tranquility Park and happens to be directly across from the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts, which replaced the Houston Music Hall and Sam Houston Coliseum.    

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Any news on Roanoke? That feels like the one we're closest to finding, just need to get some brave soul on the ground to start rooting around for it.
I was planning to head there this past Wednesday but the Outer Banks is currently getting slapped around by Tropical Storm Andrea.

BJG posted:

Q4T don't agree on a lot, but pretty much everyone favours this scene as a prime candidate...

...apart from the sign, it's the only angle I've seen though. (The rationale is on P30.)

That's located in Fort Raleigh National Park, right beside the Elizabethan Gardens. If you hop the rail and hang a left you'll get to the Garden Gate. Could be worth a shot.

Sham I Am posted:

the more I think about it the more I think that the casque is not actually in the elizabethan gardens. There is little in the image that anyone can definitevly match up to anything in the gardens.

I don't know dude, Strongylocentrotus and Mnemosyne both made some strong arguments between pages seven and nine of the thread. Some casques may be tied more to the verse than the pictures.

Autumn2May
Apr 5, 2010

NYC

I was thinking. If we have the right picture for NYC, maybe the window at the top is a map. The top panes look like long blocks. So maybe there is a church on one block, something rectangular on another, maybe something with a clock on the bottom right, and the something to do with the lady next to it? Then once you find where that area is you use the verse to narrow in on where the box is buried?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Houston

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Meanwhile, I think I might have found a possible solution to the Houston cask, but I feel like I need to do a bit more research and see if it holds water before I go giving away any more details than that. Otherwise there may be risk of a goonrush, and we don't want that.

I'll post a bit more as I gather further information. I might post pics too, assuming there are any. :)

Er... make that two or three possible solutions.

Does anybody know when the Mecom Fountain was built? There's nothing about it on Wikipedia, and Google is turning up surprisingly little info related to it.

EDIT:

einTier posted:

HOUSTON
HOUSTON, WE HAVE A DEVELOPMENT HERE

OK, something I just noticed, looking back through the thread. Someone mentioned that "cold as glass" in the verse that's supposed to be for Houston refers to a line in Anthem that mentions train tracks.

At one point, Preiss was pressed as to where the cask was. I cannot find the quote right now, but his hint was, "All I can say is "I"".

All this time, everyone has thought that he was referring to the I shaped section of Hermann Park or the I shaped pillars in the image. I went back to look at the synopsis for Anthem and this jumped out at me.

gently caress, I've got goosebumps now. I think we need to go read Anthem. This is the first time I've seen any connection to Houston and Anthem. Here is the text at Project Gutenberg.

Couldn't he have meant "I" as in the Roman numeral 'I' for 1, referring to Verse 1 and its association with Houston?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 14, 2013

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Houston

Does anybody know when the Mecom Fountain was built? There's nothing about it on Wikipedia, and Google is turning up surprisingly little info related to it.

Larry McMurtry describes the Mecom Fountain as "new" in the novel "Terms of Endearment", which was published in 1975, so it is at least old enough to have made it into "The Secret".

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

tacodaemon posted:

Larry McMurtry describes the Mecom Fountain as "new" in the novel "Terms of Endearment", which was published in 1975, so it is at least old enough to have made it into "The Secret".

In that case, I have three possible solutions. Wonderful.

Vespa Mandarinia
Dec 14, 2012

Houston

It's old enough that it certainly was around when this book was published- it's at least from the 70's, if not earlier.

edit: beaten!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Any news on Roanoke? That feels like the one we're closest to finding, just need to get some brave soul on the ground to start rooting around for it.

If I had the time or the money I'd be on my way to Roanoke right now. That seems like one of the easier casks to me, and the picture is pretty rad too. :(

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BJG posted:

I guess you read this...

http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/egbert/secret.html

Just age and ground pressure AFAIK. At least he has the gem, which he had set by a jeweller...

...poor dude who claimed the Chicago one had it nicked.

:stare:

Are we sure that's an aquamarine? Because that does not look like an aquamarine.

Like, at all.

That blue is WAAAAY too dark to be an aquamarine.

Cru Jones posted:

Just checking in, has anyone actually left their computer and moved some dirt?

I was actually planning on going somewhere to do that today, but I started looking for stuff on Wikipedia and Google Maps, and eventually it got to be too late in the afternoon for me to go.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 14, 2013

allta
Mar 28, 2011
Byron gave him the wrong gem and it was dark so he got the sapphire instead on accident.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Premeditated Toast posted:

I was planning to head there this past Wednesday but the Outer Banks is currently getting slapped around by Tropical Storm Andrea.

That's located in Fort Raleigh National Park, right beside the Elizabethan Gardens. If you hop the rail and hang a left you'll get to the Garden Gate. Could be worth a shot.

I don't know dude, Strongylocentrotus and Mnemosyne both made some strong arguments between pages seven and nine of the thread. Some casques may be tied more to the verse than the pictures.
Could be. And I freely admit I am quite probably wrong and in the minority of opinion. But I think it is worth looking outside of the gardens, which based on the plaque at the entrance to the EB could be to dark forrest referenced in the poem. The fort, wherever the path by the marker stone goes, places like that. And the wright memorial too heh.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

allta posted:

Byron gave him the wrong gem and it was dark so he got the sapphire instead on accident.

I'm now finally at that point where I can't tell if you're joking or not.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands

I'm now finally at that point where I can't tell if you're joking or not.

S' true

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
The best part is that he allegedly said something cryptic like "there was only one blue stone back there".

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Anyone else think Byron might have been full of poo poo and didn't even bury a full 12 casks/have all 12 jewels?

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Houston

Couldn't he have meant "I" as in the Roman numeral 'I' for 1, referring to Verse 1 and its association with Houston?
Maybe... but the verses are numbered 1-12, not I-XII. Though he could have meant both in a round about sort of way.

Verse 1 contains a line that comes directly from Anthem. Then he throws out a comment that correlates with a central component of the book. I think he must have been thinking heavily about that book when he wrote the verse for Houston.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Cru Jones posted:

Just checking in, has anyone actually left their computer and moved some dirt?

I scuffed my toes in a bunch of sand on Strawberry Hill while we were scouting and taking pictures for the San Francisco cask last week. Although I believe we've figured out the park in which the cask is located, that doesn't really help too much because Golden Gate Park is huge: it's more than 1,000 acres(or 412 hectares for those of you who deal in metric).

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 14, 2013

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Nesetril posted:

The best part is that he allegedly said something cryptic like "there was only one blue stone back there".

If the light wasn't good, an unset aquamarine could definitely appear to be clear rather than blue. It makes sense. Some of them are very light in color.

For example, this is taken in a bright light against a whitish background:
http://www.lawsons.com.au/thumb//910/10118910tn.jpg

It's almost clear with good lighting. In a dim setting, you probably wouldn't think it was blue at all.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
Thinking more on Anthem and Tranquility Park.

"Fortress north, cold as glass"
"Fortress" is mentioned exactly once in Anthem. It is the home the protagonist finds and intends to make into a fortress to keep out the "evil" people from the city he left behind. He keeps his books there, because they are the most valuable things he has in the post-apocalyptic world he lives in. All the knowledge that had been forgotten is there.

The Houston Public Library is nearby, and I'll be damned if it doesn't look like a fortress. It was built in 1976.

What if "the 982" was a bus?

Houston Rhino information
For those wondering about the names of the Rhinos at the Hermann Park Zoo (wilhouse at Q4T thought there could be a connection with names and the poem) their names were Marci and Bu. They'd been there since 1971 and died in the mid 2000's. http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Houston-Zoo-loses-its-last-rhino-to-old-age-1806735.php

einTier fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 14, 2013

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Montreal (crapload o'pics)

so i took a bunch of pics from dorchester square

yes, i missed a giant loving flagpole my first time by, some explorer i am.

the steps is the closest ones to the flagpole

the seagull directed me to where the cask might be

i think it's under the squirrel!

also, can somebody run the names from the queen victoria lion statue and tell me if they mean anything?

thanks talk away...lots of these pics mean nothing but its a batch upload to help you guys out. also fyi, marie reine du monde and st.george's church are a street apart, i never even knew that! can somebody research to see if st.george's has a belltower? it has a spire but that could mean anything... also, i couldnt find the wooden door at marie reine du monde and there was a turkish protest (wtf) outside the church so didnt feel like going around there too much. also if you count the posts and the doors of the sunlife building, theres 21 of them but i put zero stock in that.

and theres always a ton of people there fyi

stab
Feb 12, 2003

umm also can somebody blow up the X in cask 9? what if the x is actually roads or paths intersecting? theres a circle im seeing in the thicker pat of the x... could that be the where to dig clue?

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
That squirrel looks like he's gonna drop a clue.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Herv posted:

That squirrel looks like he's gonna drop a clue.

Oh, that's giving me a clue...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcHy8xEt2QI

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Mnemosyne posted:

If the light wasn't good, an unset aquamarine could definitely appear to be clear rather than blue. It makes sense. Some of them are very light in color.

For example, this is taken in a bright light against a whitish background:
http://www.lawsons.com.au/thumb//910/10118910tn.jpg

It's almost clear with good lighting. In a dim setting, you probably wouldn't think it was blue at all.

Yeah, pretty much this. Aquamarines are part of the beryl family, which is the same family of gemstones that emeralds come from. The biggest differences between aquamarines and emeralds are their durability (aquas tend to be rather sturdy, whereas emeralds are usually on the more fragile end of the hardiness spectrum) and their color; aquamarines are normally extremely pale in color, with light blue or light greenish-blue being the DARKEST colors you'd find.

The shade of blue on the stone in that picture is way too deep to be an aquamarine. I'm thinking maybe our interpretation of what stone corresponds with Cask 4 might be a bit off... Zinn never found the clockface lid that came with Cask 4, correct? For all we know Cask 4 might have actually corresponded with the sapphire or something.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Yeah, pretty much this. Aquamarines are part of the beryl family, which is the same family of gemstones that emeralds come from. The biggest differences between aquamarines and emeralds are their durability (aquas tend to be rather sturdy, whereas emeralds are usually on the more fragile end of the hardiness spectrum) and their color; aquamarines are normally extremely pale in color, with light blue or light greenish-blue being the DARKEST colors you'd find.

The shade of blue on the stone in that picture is way too deep to be an aquamarine. I'm thinking maybe our interpretation of what stone corresponds with Cask 4 might be a bit off... Zinn never found the clockface lid that came with Cask 4, correct? For all we know Cask 4 might have actually corresponded with the sapphire or something.
Eh, I wouldn't read too much into it. From what I've read at Q4T, Preiss was the very definition of absent minded. The stones weren't in a bunch of different lockboxes, they were all stored in the same box, with a bunch of different other things. The instructions on where things had been buried were supposed to be there, but they weren't -- even back when the "aquamarine" was given away. He wasn't a jeweler or a gemstone expert, he just purchased a bunch with his advance money to have something to give away. If one of us could easily make the mistake, I'm sure that he could too.

What I wonder is, who inherited his estate? The directions to the burial sites were probably in his effects ... somewhere.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson, thinking on your Rice theory and the Anthem theme, there is the Fondren Library on the Rice campus, near Hermann Park. It doesn't look much like a fortress, but it is in the Art Deco style Rand loved so much.

Or maybe it does look like a fortress...

Could the Commons just south of there be the "Friendship south"?

einTier fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 14, 2013

Guuse
May 11, 2009

stab posted:

Montreal (crapload o'pics)

so i took a bunch of pics from dorchester square

yes, i missed a giant loving flagpole my first time by, some explorer i am.

the steps is the closest ones to the flagpole

the seagull directed me to where the cask might be

i think it's under the squirrel!

also, can somebody run the names from the queen victoria lion statue and tell me if they mean anything?

thanks talk away...lots of these pics mean nothing but its a batch upload to help you guys out. also fyi, marie reine du monde and st.george's church are a street apart, i never even knew that! can somebody research to see if st.george's has a belltower? it has a spire but that could mean anything... also, i couldnt find the wooden door at marie reine du monde and there was a turkish protest (wtf) outside the church so didnt feel like going around there too much. also if you count the posts and the doors of the sunlife building, theres 21 of them but i put zero stock in that.

and theres always a ton of people there fyi

Thanks for taking the pics!

Yeah, that's a bell tower. One of the windows is also a memorial to the Canadian armed forces in WW II, including the Air Force, so "near ace is high" can work for St. George's, too. And it's right on the square, which maybe makes it a better location for the clue than St. Patricks... if it turns out that this is the general location of the cask and Preiss wrote that verse with one of the churches in mind I wonder if he know that there were actually two nearby that fit the bill.

I don't know if it's possible to tell which window the memorial is from outside the church. This is what it looks like from within:

The wooden door at Marie Reine du Monde is here:

Oh, did you happen to see a pair of old naval canons by the street in front of the Macdonald monument? I've seen them in pictures, but they don't show up in the latest Google imagery so I wonder if they're away for restoration.

einTier posted:

I think you're pushing this way too hard. It doesn't fit. It doesn't match. I know you want it to match, but other than the very top part, which you can't see fully, nothing lines up. By your own admission, the right side doesn't match at all.

If you're having to force something to fit, it's not the solution.

Fair enough. I don't want to be the Houston guy. Did you think there might be any validity to the fingers/streets?

Guuse fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 14, 2013

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
But remember that the birth months for each image are given rather unequivocally. Cleveland was absolutely an aquamarine (march = 3 = triangle in image). If it wasn't everything else would be messed up. It couldn't have been traded with St. Augustine's sapphire, because the sapphire in the image has that six-star / cat's eye pattern. I was looking at sapphires in a museum the other day, too.

Anyway, I am still confused about BP's stone switcheroo at the vault, because what kind of vault isn't well lit? I mean most people store fake passports, wills, and money in those vaults. Imagine what could happen... Also, BP was apparently quite educated and into some pretty obscure historical stuff and literature, but he couldn't tell an aquamarine apart from a sapphire? Especially, given that they were not just any two stones, but ones he purchased himself previously.

Nesetril fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 14, 2013

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

einTier posted:

Thinking more on Anthem and Tranquility Park.

"Fortress north, cold as glass"
"Fortress" is mentioned exactly once in Anthem. It is the home the protagonist finds and intends to make into a fortress to keep out the "evil" people from the city he left behind. He keeps his books there, because they are the most valuable things he has in the post-apocalyptic world he lives in. All the knowledge that had been forgotten is there.

The Houston Public Library is nearby, and I'll be damned if it doesn't look like a fortress. It was built in 1976.

I'm typing "houston public library" into the Search bar on my iPhone's Maps program and it isn't turning up jack squat. You wanna tell me the address of the place in that photo, please?

I'm really sleepy right now and I have to wake up for an 8:00 a.m. class tomorrow morning, otherwise I'd try to tell you why I think you're looking a little too far into this Ayn Rand business and why the train connection sounds like the deepest meaning Byron Preiss could've been going for in that line. Basically, I'm thinking that if you have to read loving Anthem (or any other Ayn Rand book for that matter) in its entirety just to gather a small clue, then you're doing something wrong.

einTier posted:

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson, thinking on your Rice theory and the Anthem theme, there is the Fondren Library on the Rice campus, near Hermann Park. It doesn't look much like a fortress, but it is in the Art Deco style Rand loved so much.

Or maybe it does look like a fortress...

Could the Commons just south of there be the "Friendship south"?

... Okay I think you might be onto something here.

(P.S. Art Deco sucks Modern Architecture sucks hard herps dick pus forever Collegiate Gothic 4 LYFE yo :dukedog:)

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 14, 2013

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

I'm typing "houston public library" into the Search bar on my iPhone's Maps program and it isn't turning up jack squat. You wanna tell me the address of the place in that photo, please?

I'm really sleepy right now and I have to wake up for an 8:00 a.m. class tomorrow morning, otherwise I'd try to tell you why I think you're looking a little too far into this Ayn Rand business and why the train connection sounds like the deepest meaning Byron Preiss could've been going for in that line. Basically, I'm thinking that if you have to read loving Anthem (or any other Ayn Rand book for that matter) in its entirety just to gather a small clue, then you're doing something wrong.

I know Rand isn't popular here. I'm not trying to secretly get people to read it, and I am skeptical of links like "strongest tower of delight" pointing to the Atropos key, so I'm trying not to read (pun intended) too much into it. But there does seem to be a correlation that Preiss thought was important. The cryptic comment implies that something about saying "I" is important, and that happens to be very important in the book he references in Verse 1.

Anyway. The library is at 500 McKinney, Houston, TX 77002. Google Maps

But maybe you're on to something with Rice Campus. I wouldn't have thought of it, but ... The Campanile is near the library.

quote:

When Cram, Goodhue & Ferguson, Rice’s founding architects, began designing the campus, they envisioned a tower that would hold water. That plan was scrapped in favor of underground tanks, but the idea of a tower so captivated then-President Edgar Odell Lovett that the architects sought a practical function to justify one. The result was the Campanile, the campus’s first and most impressive tower.

Built to decoratively mask the smokestack for the Power House, it is still used to vent steam. In the beginning, the Campanile was simply described as campanile-like; it didn’t have a capital “C” until after the publication of the first edition of the “Campanile” yearbook in 1916. The hipped tile eave that originally hooded the top was removed when the tower was rebuilt in 1930 following a lightning strike. Architectural historian Stephen Fox calls the Campanile Rice’s “most ambiguous component … because it has no visible base. It is always seen from a distance.

Is this the veering water in the sky?

My only problem with Rice University (and really, all the proposed locations in Houston) is the lack of visual clues that tie the painting in with the site.

einTier fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 14, 2013

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

einTier posted:

I know Rand isn't popular here. I'm not trying to secretly get people to read it, and I am skeptical of links like "strongest tower of delight" pointing to the Atropos key, so I'm trying not to read (pun intended) too much into it. But there does seem to be a correlation that Preiss thought was important. The cryptic comment implies that something about saying "I" is important, and that happens to be very important in the book he references in Verse 1.

Anyway. The library is at 500 McKinney, Houston, TX 77002. Google Maps

But maybe you're on to something with Rice Campus. I wouldn't have thought of it, but ... The Campanile is near the library.

Is this the veering water in the sky?

Hmm... could be.

Also I forgot to mention earlier that the University of Houston is also pretty close to Hermann Park (on the east side), except unlike Rice, UH isn't right across the street from there.

There are like 3 or 4 other colleges that are close by, too.

einTier posted:

My only problem with Rice University (and really, all the proposed locations in Houston) is the lack of visual clues that tie the painting in with the site.

I think I actually found several visual clues that might connect the painting with the Hermann Park area, but I really need to get to bed right now, so that's a subject that will have to wait until later.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 14, 2013

stab
Feb 12, 2003

yeah the canons are right next to the macdonald statue, didn't take a pic of them because I didn't really see the relevance of them. (yet I did of a squirrel taking a dump)

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
Because everyone is so interested in the "aquamarine" jewel, here's what the finder of the Cleveland cask had to say about it over at Q4T:

Egbert posted:

Hi everyone! My ears must have been burning - I suddenly had the feeling that I should look at this bulletin board, which I do every few months, and I see that there have been questions raised about the jewel that I received from BP.

I do not know erexere, but bravo.

I indeed have a sapphire, not an aquamarine. Like the others posting in this forum, I didn't think that anyone cared that BP gave me the wrong jewel. So, I didn't bother mentioning it. A sapphire is worth a little more, but I would have rather gotten my birthstone, the aquamarine.

When Siskel and I finally met BP, he ended up taking us to the bank vault in NYC where the jewels were kept. He also said the solutions to the puzzle were in the same drawer. I got the impression that he was very similar to the "absent-minded professor." Don't forget, it took him about a year to find the key to the vault. Siskel and I stood outside the private room as BP sifted through the drawer which he had not looked through in about 24 years. One thing he found were savings bonds totalling $25,000 which he had forgotten about. You would think that since Siskel and I were responsible for him finding those bonds, that he would have treated us to lunch at least, but no such luck.

So, each jewel was individually wrapped in white tissue paper. He apparently looked through them all, and gave me what he said was "the only blue one here," which turned out to be the sapphire. I was too excited at the time to notice the mistake, and I have no idea why it would be the only blue one. It was a little dark in the vault, so he could have just thought the aquamarine was grey or some other color, or he could have missed it entirely. I did not get to see the open drawer. He also said that there were no solutions in the drawer, and made the comment, "they must be in closet at home I guess," or something like that.

It was not until I took the jewel to a jeweler that I was told it was a sapphire. I put it in a setting, as you can see above. BP was later killed in a tragic car accident a short time later. I wrote to his widow about the solutions possibly being at their home, but she said she looked and could not find any. I have no idea what happened to the jewels. Perhaps they are still there, if no one knew what the key was for.

Many things change over time.
Many of the landmarks which form clues to the verses and pictures could have been removed. In my life, I have gotten divorced, and some time around 3 years ago, I put the "sapphire setting" in a safe place so I would never lose it. I do not remember where that safe place is, and I have not seen the setting in 3 years.

I still think of The Secret, though, all the time, and if I ever plan to visit a city with a treasure in it, I will bring the book with me. I went to St. Augustine a few years ago, but found nothing. Siskel went to Nag's Head, North Carolina, with me on the telephone, and he found nothing. But the search goes on, because it is so much fun to do.

Guuse
May 11, 2009

stab posted:

umm also can somebody blow up the X in cask 9? what if the x is actually roads or paths intersecting? theres a circle im seeing in the thicker pat of the x... could that be the where to dig clue?

This horse is literally running north. Follow it to the cask!

stab posted:

yeah the canons are right next to the macdonald statue, didn't take a pic of them because I didn't really see the relevance of them. (yet I did of a squirrel taking a dump)

At the time British gun crews sometimes named their guns. What I've learned about that pair is that they were seized from the Russians during the Crimean War in 1850-something and given by Queen Victoria to Montreal in 1892, so they presumably had a 40ish year career with the British navy. It would be pretty badass if THOSE were Education and Justice. :black101:

Maybe there's an inscription on the cannon or a plaque nearby that says something. Or maybe just something carved in at the back? It's odd to me that Education and Justice are capitalized in the verse.

It also means that if you draw a line between the side door at Marie Rienne, John Macdonald and cannons, and then Marie Rienne again to the belltower at St. George's you end up with something looking a lot like the lopsided "M" in the flower:

In this theory, that circle would be along side the church or in its back garden presumably. It's roughly the same shape as the gem in the hat!

Edit: Also, a row of X's/diamonds run down the length of the Saint George roof.

Guuse fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 14, 2013

earl of sandwich
May 7, 2013
New orleans..

Not far away
High posts are three
Education and Justice
For All To See

Fats fuckin' Domino

You think I can't dig no hole? I can dig a hole, where's the fuckin' shovels? (goodfellas quote)

Is there software out there that can analyze this poo poo using wikipedia or something?

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
These lines from verse 2:

quote:

Here is a sovereign people
Who build palaces to shelter
Their heads for a night!

Are from Rockland's translation of Sarmiento's Travles in the United States in 1847 (p. 141) which talks about taking a steamboat down to New Orleans:

Here is the sovereign people who build palaces to shelter their heads for a night! Here is the religion which is dedicated to man as man, and here the marvels of art are lavished on teh glorification of the masses! Nero had his Domus Aurea, but the Roman plebeians had only the catacombs to shelter themselves!

It would seem safe to say that this verse matches with the New Orleans, Louisiana picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
Let's go over the current consensus for verse matchings. So, wait... nothing changed in 50 pages?

code:
CASK  CITY            MONTH   VERSE      BEGINS
C1  - San Francisco   JUN     5,6,7
C2  - Charleston      APR     5,6,7
C3  - Roanoke         JAN     11         Pass two friends of octave
C4  - Cleveland       MAR     4          Beneath two countries
C5  - Chicago         MAY     12         Where M and B are set in stone
C6  - St. Augustine   SEP     9          The first chapter
C7  - New Orleans     DEC     2,7          
C8  - Houston         JUL     1          Fortress north
C9  - Montreal        OCT     5,6,7
C10 - Milwaukee       FEB     8          View the three stories of Mitchell