Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

A big flaming stink posted:

I can vouch for this. The pace is beyond glacial, and honestly the entire 2 month long flashback we just got done with was completely superfluous. Everything the author told us was elegantly implied before, so it feels like she just spent weeks and weeks overexplaining the setting.

I actually think Ava's Demon is pretty lovely.
I haven't read it (yet?) but at some point you're going to have to get used to the author's pace, whether it's their update schedule or the speed of their narrative. hell, my favorite one (Templar, AZ) updates rarely in small spurts after months of inactivity, but the worldbuilding would charm Aranea Serket out of her little red shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The best part of these updates was seeing the Ed Emberly book. I used to check those out all the time at the library when I was a kid. They are amazing books that really help to teach kids that anyone can draw and how to do it. I highly recommend checking them out. Even if you're not a kid (anymore).

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
They're both tigers. Can you got them?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Fat_Cow posted:

Next update is 10/25 get ready
Definitely gonna be this.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Wouldn't he have said something by now if he were going back on hiatus? He usually announces the things.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Akett posted:

Wouldn't he have said something by now if he were going back on hiatus? He usually announces the things.

He already has?

They're all listed separately, so I don't think it's a huge stretch to assume that each of these things will take "months". Altogether we have another 4-6 months of hiatus before this comic ends, although he might stagger them out a bit.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

He already has?

They're all listed separately, so I don't think it's a huge stretch to assume that each of these things will take "months". Altogether we have another 4-6 months of hiatus before this comic ends, although he might stagger them out a bit.

That says regular updates for A6A6, so unless "regular" means "hiatus" then we're probably safe for now.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

You guys think Ava's Demon has a glacial update schedule? You obviously haven't seen Lackadaisy. :unsmigghh:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Line Feed posted:

You guys think Ava's Demon has a glacial update schedule? You obviously haven't seen Lackadaisy. :unsmigghh:

With it being so long in between updates Lackadaisy is easy to read when you follow the webcomic thread, because it always blows up whenever there's an update.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
As long as the Lackadaisy person keeps putting out The Excellent Adventures of Viktor and Mordechai in between biannual updates, it's all good in my book.

is this what you want? is that what you're trying to achieve? asymmetry??!

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
Right.

You may all return to the Stygian current, swept away mindless and forgetful, joining as a tributary to the great rivers of Tartarus, in Acheron and gibbering.

See you in a few months.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
Apparently there are more updates coming. Thread will remain open until Hussie officially notes the next hiatus. Please don't go nuts with off topic discussions.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Glitchy poo poo never fails to unnerve me.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Yeah the story isn't even glitching on just our side, the characters themselves are glitching the gently caress out.

This is some Missingno. poo poo.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Well, it's not like we're not used to what Rose says being completely inscrutable, as much as I like her character. Guess she got dusted.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Zoolooman posted:

Apparently there are more updates coming. Thread will remain open until Hussie officially notes the next hiatus. Please don't go nuts with off topic discussions.
You can't get rid of us THAT easy!

Welp, I guess we need to take the cartridge to be repaired. Unfortunately, the only repairman of gameplay abstractions we know of is dead.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

JT Jag posted:

You can't get rid of us THAT easy!

Welp, I guess we need to take the cartridge to be repaired. Unfortunately, the only repairman of gameplay abstractions we know of is dead.

No see he was a SCRATCH doctor. Stardust isn't necessarily his area of expertise.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Welp, at least we know John wasn't zapped somewhere by Jade, but that's all I can make out of the glitched text.

I'm torn between being glad that the story is moving again, and being sad that we skipped over the group finally meeting again for the first time.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, we can be sure of one thing: John got kicked in the face.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Well, that was horrifying.

Homestuck has crossed inspirations many times before, and it is now entering the realm of video game creepypasta. Only this one's actually good.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

I just have this vision of the story spiraling inward in a neverending progression of subacts and intermissions as reality itself begins to break down.

Edit:

Arrow is four equal signs - eight lines - eight players. Well, I guess the merging the sessions took just fine then.

AriadneThread fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 14, 2013

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Argh, that flash seemed so rad. :(

I'm willing to bet John disappeared because of that window again. He's totally going to show up where Caliborn is and blow the gently caress out of the cartridge.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Triskelli posted:

No see he was a SCRATCH doctor. Stardust isn't necessarily his area of expertise.
Well do you know of a cartridge jam doctor? I mean, the very idea of such a profession sounds absurd.

Based on the snippets of dialogue we can understand from Rose, I bet from her perspective it's everyone else who is inscrutable.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 14, 2013

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

JT Jag posted:

Well do you know of a cartridge jam doctor? I mean, the very idea of such a profession sounds absurd.

Well I know ol Vanilla Milkshake doesn't have lips to blow out the cartridge so ha :colbert:

Hussie, on the other hand :allears:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I'm not sure how much 'eluding' John is doing when we saw him get dropkicked by Miss Grimbark herself, Rose. :colbert:

On the other hand, Karkat's jealousy of Dave hanging out with WV never ceases to make me smile.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Haha I think the missing-time amnesia everyone has corresponds to the 4 minutes of missing flash footage :v:

Also hooray for homestuck being back!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Odds on Gamzee huffing out the secret stardust?

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I know he was apparently attacked by a mid-flip out Jade, but the "John Egbert is Missing." page is actually pretty unnerving to me. It's not that other characters can't find him or that we haven't seen him in a while, it just bluntly states that he's gone; somehow ejected from the narrative. From our perspective, John is just gone. Possibly even glitched out of existence.

I doubt Hussie would do this, but I think we might start veering into Earthbound end-game style creepiness soon. I'd kind of like to see this point hammered home in a simple way; the story continues as normal, but whenever a scene would change to John, it would simply go back to

"John Egbert is Missing."

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Huh. Wasn't expecting Jade to continue riding the asteroid to Earth-2. It's still blue, so it can't be the distant future. I guess she probably gets back via the frog temple teleport? In any case, she was probably the one that moved Earth-2 to a different star, rather than GCAT.

And what was Jane doing with the appearifier? I suppose she could be retrieving Jade, come to think of it.

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, we can be sure of one thing: John got kicked in the face.

Yes, yes he did. Rose's dialogue seems to imply he might have actually managed to fight back against Jade better than the others did.

The question becomes: Did Jade send everyone away as part of the plan, or was it random teleporting during the fight? Hoping for the latter.

Triskelli posted:

Well I know ol Vanilla Milkshake doesn't have lips to blow out the cartridge so ha :colbert:

Hussie, on the other hand :allears:

Or, with John going missing, he'll have to blow the dust out of the cartridge, as was suggested earlier. Maybe Jade kicked him so hard that he got unstuck from spacetime again?

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 14, 2013

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Also, a weird continuity glitch: Dave tells Karkat he found out Kanaya is on lofaf from her, and he tells Kanaya he found out from Karkat. So either this is another "glitch" that they're experiencing, Dave is being deceitful, or that's not Dave.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Filthy Haiku posted:

I doubt Hussie would do this, but I think we might start veering into Earthbound end-game style creepiness soon.

Earthbound is a huge influence on Homestuck, down to the very structure of the name. Don't count any possible references/allusions/similarities out. (Though this makes me wonder if Caliborn is going to be our Gigyas, beyond simply being the final boss type; he is a crazy destructive alien thing. Anyone care to bet on them destroying him via interrupting the weird space-snake mating or some other form of going back in time and aborting him?)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Filthy Haiku posted:

I know he was apparently attacked by a mid-flip out Jade, but the "John Egbert is Missing." page is actually pretty unnerving to me. It's not that other characters can't find him or that we haven't seen him in a while, it just bluntly states that he's gone; somehow ejected from the narrative. From our perspective, John is just gone. Possibly even glitched out of existence.

I doubt Hussie would do this, but I think we might start veering into Earthbound end-game style creepiness soon. I'd kind of like to see this point hammered home in a simple way; the story continues as normal, but whenever a scene would change to John, it would simply go back to

"John Egbert is Missing."

It's a good thing that he already inhabits random points throughout the narrative then! Maybe toss in an oblique Chrono Trigger reference as the rest of the gang undertake a side quest to make John exist again.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 14, 2013

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I actually opened up the animated gif of Rose and Dave's dialog in The GIMP, and tried to go through the layers one by one to see if there was a frame in which the stardust wasn't mucking everything up.

There is no secret frame where everything is clear.

There might be a few frames in which certain words are a bit more clear, but...no smoking gun there.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Earthbound is a huge influence on Homestuck, down to the very structure of the name. Don't count any possible references/allusions/similarities out. (Though this makes me wonder if Caliborn is going to be our Gigyas, beyond simply being the final boss type; he is a crazy destructive alien thing. Anyone care to bet on them destroying him via interrupting the weird space-snake mating or some other form of going back in time and aborting him?)

Caliborn is Pokey.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Oh, and as long as we're drawing connections, John has already blown the dust out of a cartridge once in the story already.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002870

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Bobulus posted:

Also, a weird continuity glitch: Dave tells Karkat he found out Kanaya is on lofaf from her, and he tells Kanaya he found out from Karkat. So either this is another "glitch" that they're experiencing, Dave is being deceitful, or that's not Dave.

Time shenanigans? :)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jane is red right now. Does she - or the Empress - have what it takes to duplicate that uniquely Striderian cadence?

Or maybe it's just that a god-tier Time player can experience events simultaneously when he's not in a continuum where time travel can cause inadvertent space travel and vice versa. Time travel might be a good way to find out what happened, come to think of it, assuming he can do so under his own power without his time tables.

A small thing: the arrows now have four equal signs, for a total of eight lines, corresponding to the eight kids.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

If you need someone to be an absolute expert at blowing dust out of a cartridge, I imagine a godtier Heir of Breath would be pretty ideal.

Fallord
Mar 22, 2013
From the news section of the site:

Andrew posted:

Edit: Megapause over. Snipped everything except the awesome HTML table below because of how sweet it is.

I guess that's that. I was expecting July, at the earliest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?
Glad to be back! Almost all my friends who started Homestuck with me don't like it anymore, you guys are all I've got now apparently!!

Hussie's glitch aesthetics will never cease to amaze me. I can only hope this comic is going to go full Earthbound on us. Maybe a little bit of Kid Radd-esque escape from the known multiverse poo poo too.