Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Boing posted:

I started playing this last week and I can't get enough. Haha this game:

....what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
The name of the horse is Glitterhoof. It's the best event ever.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
What even shows up in the Chancellor slot, then?

I hope there's horse portraits

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Do you need a Lunatic king? Possessed?

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Boing posted:

I started playing this last week and I can't get enough. Haha this game:

Say, this reminds me of someone...

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

marktheando posted:

Yes I really miss the factions and civil wars systems from CK2+, as well as the ambitions and plots. Plotting to frame a vassal for treason is the most useful thing. I was without internet for a few days, so I only got one day of playing CK2+ with Old Gods before the new patch hit and broke it again. :smith:

A few pages back I swear I read people talking about how to roll back your version. I know you can do the right click -> properties ->steam beta to go back to 1.09, but I think this was different. Something about finding the old patch installers in the CK2 install directory?

Maybe I'm just dreaming though because I can't seem to find it.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
With the new DLC, am I wrong in thinking that you can only use the bookmarks between The Old Gods and Stamford Bridge? Like you couldn't set a date between those two?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Captain Beans posted:

A few pages back I swear I read people talking about how to roll back your version. I know you can do the right click -> properties ->steam beta to go back to 1.09, but I think this was different. Something about finding the old patch installers in the CK2 install directory?

Maybe I'm just dreaming though because I can't seem to find it.

I know about the steam beta thing, but going back to 1.09 means no Old Gods. You can only roll back to 1.09, what I need is 1.10 so I can play Old Gods and the most recent CK2+. Still Wiz said on the paradox forums he would try to get CK2+ working with 1.11 by the weekend, I can wait till then.

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

With the new DLC, am I wrong in thinking that you can only use the bookmarks between The Old Gods and Stamford Bridge? Like you couldn't set a date between those two?

You are correct. It would be nice to be able to play any date like you can from 1066 onwards, but I can appreciate researching a complete history for that period involves an insane amount of work and lots of making things up where no records exist.

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

DrSunshine posted:

It didn't work the last time I tried it, but maybe something I since changed made it such that it works better. Also I may be rather less than punctual in updating the readme. :shobon:

EDIT: Oh I think I know! Earlier versions had the tech level really high for some reason, and I think raiding/river movement is disallowed after a certain tech level, like 4 or something.

Well, one of the things I would recommend is to give the Reavers their own religious group. Because everyone but the Imperial Yuanese and the Elder Gods are in the same group your raiding options are really limited.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

marktheando posted:

I know about the steam beta thing, but going back to 1.09 means no Old Gods. You can only roll back to 1.09, what I need is 1.10 so I can play Old Gods and the most recent CK2+. Still Wiz said on the paradox forums he would try to get CK2+ working with 1.11 by the weekend, I can wait till then.

You are correct. It would be nice to be able to play any date like you can from 1066 onwards, but I can appreciate researching a complete history for that period involves an insane amount of work and lots of making things up where no records exist.

Yeah, I just got a hankering to play as St. Stephen but I'll accept that it's too complex.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

GrabbinPeels posted:

Well, one of the things I would recommend is to give the Reavers their own religious group. Because everyone but the Imperial Yuanese and the Elder Gods are in the same group your raiding options are really limited.

Oh yeah! That's a really big oversight on my part. Totally forgot about the different religious group thing, at the time I was thinking it'd be specifically just your religion.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So I figure the difficulty rating is busted. It says that the Byzantine Empire is no challenge, which obviously, there is a huge challenge being surrounded by people that hate your guts.

But more importantly my most recent save has my 20 year old chaste possessed homosexual ruler. That might get interesting.

Actually, my chosen (then) heir started a push for my current emperor's claim very strange. Unless he just didn't want to be emproer. After I captured him, I thought about killing him but I then though "He's childless, I'll cut off his nads which will default his inheretence to me. What's he goign to do about it?"

Well, duh, the answer is hate my guts and keep starting wars until I executed him. :downs:

Crusader Kings II - Cutting Off Your Son's Nuts Is Bad

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
^^^^ Can you only castrate your heir as a Byzantine? What nonsense

Veryslightlymad posted:

Do you need a Lunatic king? Possessed?

Yeah I was a lunatic then. The chancellor slot just becomes empty though :smith: a horse portrait would've been fantastic.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

LordPants posted:

So I figure the difficulty rating is busted. It says that the Byzantine Empire is no challenge, which obviously, there is a huge challenge being surrounded by people that hate your guts.

Yeah it's more of a power rating than a difficulty rating. Being Byzantine Emperor is a lot more difficult than being an Irish Count, yet the difficulty rating tells you the opposite.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Captain Beans posted:

Rollback doesn't work, but if you can't wait for the weekend a guy in the CK2+ Paradox thread just made a hotfix that you run alongside CK2+. I just tried it out and got a fix of that sweet, sweet Wiz goodness. CoAs are still borked, but they're not game-breaking.

Also on an aside, many thanks to you Wiz for all your hard work. CK2+ really turned this game around for me and has sucked hundreds of hours from my life over the past year.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Quick question: If I'm in a war, can I take more lands than what my claim entitles me to? I'm currently at 100% against Scotland and can end the war to take the claim I wanted, but another country is tearing them apart from the other side, so if I keep sieging until they have nothing left, do all these territories I've occupied also become mine?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Gin_Rummy posted:

Quick question: If I'm in a war, can I take more lands than what my claim entitles me to? I'm currently at 100% against Scotland and can end the war to take the claim I wanted, but another country is tearing them apart from the other side, so if I keep sieging until they have nothing left, do all these territories I've occupied also become mine?

No. Just peace out and take your claim.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Boing posted:

^^^^ Can you only castrate your heir as a Byzantine? What nonsense

You can do anything you want I think, but blinding seems so macabre, execution over the top. Nad chopping seemed like a "happy medium".

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

No. Just peace out and take your claim.

Even if we wipte Scotland out? Or is that just impossible in this game?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Gin_Rummy posted:

No, unless you're using the Pope-sanctioned invasion of a country CB. (The mechanics of that -- just what you get when you claim victory -- are explained here.)

Gin_Rummy posted:

It's all about claims. If you have a claim for the country then you can either request an invasion from the pope and get all of the holdings (as above), or press your claim without the pope, which I *think* (though don't quote me on this) will give you the previous monarch's holdings, while you'll become the new liege for his old vassals.

Holy wars are, similarly to the pope-sanctioned invasion, exceptionally powerful. As a Catholic attacking a Sunni, you'll take any holding owned by a Muslim and vassalise any holdings owned by other Catholics.

Allyn fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 14, 2013

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Gin_Rummy posted:

It's not impossible, but it's going to take time unless you manage to wrangle a strong claim to the whole kingdom onto your heir or their heir.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

I thought someone said that the history files go all the way back to 476, but perhaps I am misremembering? But yeah, an option to play as Krum or Basil the Bulgar-Slayer would be fun.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
With the new release of CK2+ comes the new release of my landed titles mod, featuring a hell of a lot of localized holding names. If you want to see proper Anglo-Saxon city names, or proper Arab names in Spain, or Slavic names in Great Moravia, then this is the minimod for you. Just replace the standard CK2+ landed_titles folder with this one.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9m9avo

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
:sigh:

To my dismay, it seems that Crown Authority-type laws don't respond well to modding. I tried adding a whole new type of Crown Authority to the Yuanese cultures in Sonendar, but instead of replacing the old row of "Min->Max" crown authority buttons, it just adds the new ones alongside them. Any ideas?

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

sullat posted:

I thought someone said that the history files go all the way back to 476, but perhaps I am misremembering? But yeah, an option to play as Krum or Basil the Bulgar-Slayer would be fun.

There are character files as far back as history exists for certain titles (the oldest I'm aware of being Augustus Caesar), but obviously this isn't the case everywhere.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

CaesarVincens on the paradox forums made a hotfix patch for CK2+ 2.01 compatible with CK2 1.101.

It's here.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
I gotta say, starting as Cornwall with the goal of creating a Breton Briton is probably the hardest game I have ever played.

So many loving VIKINGS.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Daktar posted:

I don't know about that. Viking just suggests your average raider. I think a holy warrior needs some a bit more mythic. Einherjar maybe?
Those are people who are already dead, which isn't...quite right, I wouldn't think.

The effects of the viking trait (+martial, +prestige, +same religion opinion, +same trait opinion) overlap significantly with those of the crusader trait (+martial, +church opinion, +same trait opinion). While the immediate meaning isn't quite the same, I can certainly see them being more closely aligned in a world where an organized, offensive Norse church were a thing - to go on a viking is to take part in a martial expedition, and while the actual history of that was mostly limited to raiding, a great holy war seems as though it could call upon a similar conceptual space.

That, and being able to get both viking and another crusader-analogue would just be imba

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
This loving game needs to stop updating so often on Steam. I waited forever to play the GoT mod and they released the new mod patch on the same day as a client patch.

gently caress gently caress gently caress.

e:
I just disabled the auto-patching so this won't happen again but god damnit I am pissed.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
As the Norse King of Denmark I launched a subjugation war on the King of Norway. They were fighting Sweden at the time so I thought it was a great time to strike. It was... until Sweden peaced and joined with Norway against me.

It wasn't enough, though. I conquered Norway and now the rightful descendants of Ragnar rule most of Scandinavia.

Of course in true CK2 fashion, my 29 dip heir died in battle (Glory to him in Valhalla!) which has left me to raise a young grandson.

Oh, and right after I took Norway, I converted to Catholicism. Now pagan Sweden is ripe for the taking.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
For people using the new CK2+: I think I've figured out why, for example, Byzantium is using the HRE flag. The flag for the duchy of Podlasia is apparently missing from the package, so everything that comes after it is off-by-one. To fix it you just need to put in a flag for d_podlasie: I used vanilla's c_podlasie.tga, renamed it, and stuck it in the CK2+ flag directory as d_podlasie.tga, and all is now right with the world.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Zero One posted:

As the Norse King of Denmark I launched a subjugation war on the King of Norway. They were fighting Sweden at the time so I thought it was a great time to strike. It was... until Sweden peaced and joined with Norway against me.

It wasn't enough, though. I conquered Norway and now the rightful descendants of Ragnar rule most of Scandinavia.

Of course in true CK2 fashion, my 29 dip heir died in battle (Glory to him in Valhalla!) which has left me to raise a young grandson.

Oh, and right after I took Norway, I converted to Catholicism. Now pagan Sweden is ripe for the taking.

Until they convert during the holy war.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Until they convert during the holy war.

Ye Gods, is that annoying. I only recently got back into the game when ToG dropped, and this is an addition that... :gbsmith:

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.

A Tartan Tory posted:

I gotta say, starting as Cornwall with the goal of creating a Breton Briton is probably the hardest game I have ever played.

So many loving VIKINGS.

I tried to recreate Alfred the Great. I ended up as Alfred "Ill Ruler". I know what you mean.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I go ta warning that I will lose three titles when my King dies. How do I fix this? I had a vassal that was really pissed at me and I goaded him into a war, I beat him and he gave up and I executed him after the war. I have the land now, there is no coat of arms over his city. It seems all the titles associated to this county will go away when my king dies.

WHat do I do? Give the titles to cousins or what?

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Enigma89 posted:

I go ta warning that I will lose three titles when my King dies. How do I fix this? I had a vassal that was really pissed at me and I goaded him into a war, I beat him and he gave up and I executed him after the war. I have the land now, there is no coat of arms over his city. It seems all the titles associated to this county will go away when my king dies.

WHat do I do? Give the titles to cousins or what?

"Losing titles" means that when you become your heir (that phrase never gets normal), some of your titles will be passed to your other, non-heir kids/future siblings. They will still exist, but you won't own them anymore. The shields disappeared from the map because only a character's primary title (in your case, the kingdom) is displayed on the map to indicate your location, and since he doesn't own land anymore it's not a vassal duchy. If you want to prevent your holdings from being divided among your kids due to Gavelkind succession, then switch to Primogeniture succession.

Giving titles to cousins will prevent them from going to your kids– as such, the remaining holdings will still have to be divided up evenly among your children and so your heir will hold onto even less land! Don't do that.

Also, losing holdings to your other children isn't a necessarily bad thing. If there are more landholders of your dynasty, then you're less likely to get a game over if poo poo hits the fan.

Spiderfist Island fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 14, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
So, the Seljuks just arrived in my game. I can raise more than their 50.000 troops but on the way up there, they suffer horrible attrition. If I let them do their thing for a while the warscore quickly goes up to 80% so that seems a bit dangerous. Any ideas what to do?

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Boing posted:

a horse portrait would've been fantastic.

Even better would be to have chancellor wear this.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

So, the Seljuks just arrived in my game. I can raise more than their 50.000 troops but on the way up there, they suffer horrible attrition. If I let them do their thing for a while the warscore quickly goes up to 80% so that seems a bit dangerous. Any ideas what to do?

Then don't stack them together? Make smaller stacks and only consolidate on attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
So in my Kingdom of Ireland game, two of my vassals went to war over one of their duchies, and since I didn't want those idiots murdering each other but couldn't join the war to force an end to it, I changed the crown authority so that vassals couldn't fight their own wars. All that seems to have done is put both of them in stasis, armies deployed and at war but not moving, fighting or doing anything. While I've smashed the Normans and Yorkists to keep my son in law on the English throne, those armies are still standing around doing nothing, and I've been unable to do anything to force the war to end - for example, I can't revoke the Duchy of Leinster because it's the target of the war. I'm starting to consider assassinating the aggressor to render the CB invalid. I've tried to wait until it ends on its own, and I even lowered the crown authority again, but that didn't do anything. Is there a way to fix this or is it completely screwed?

• Locked thread