Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Flesnolk posted:

So in my Kingdom of Ireland game, two of my vassals went to war over one of their duchies, and since I didn't want those idiots murdering each other but couldn't join the war to force an end to it, I changed the crown authority so that vassals couldn't fight their own wars. All that seems to have done is put both of them in stasis, armies deployed and at war but not moving, fighting or doing anything. While I've smashed the Normans and Yorkists to keep my son in law on the English throne, those armies are still standing around doing nothing, and I've been unable to do anything to force the war to end - for example, I can't revoke the Duchy of Leinster because it's the target of the war. I'm starting to consider assassinating the aggressor to render the CB invalid. I've tried to wait until it ends on its own, and I even lowered the crown authority again, but that didn't do anything. Is there a way to fix this or is it completely screwed?

Try switching to one of them using the console ` then 'charinfo 1' to find their char id and then 'play [charid]' to play as them. You could swap to the aggressor and surrender the war if a white peace won't be accepted by either side. Make sure you save before doing this, and do not under any circumstances unpause, as the AI can gently caress up your empire with a single day of control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Gavelkind succession is bust as poo poo. I've made the kingdom of hungary, neatly portioned out all of my vassals into counts then given counts ducal titles and the appropriate vassals. I own Bulgaria, Hungary, Taurica (the land but not the title) and Wallachia (same as Taurica). I am also Carpathian Emperor.

When my Emperor dies, my heir gets Carpathia. His half-brother gets Bulgaria. The Wallachian and Taurican vassals still swear allegiance to me. And my brother swears allegiance to me. However the Kingdom of Hungary disappeared. All of the vassals shattered into independent counties, with the dukes still existing but having no vassals. I offered vassalisation and almost all of them accepted. But wtf? I had to re-make the kingdom and give the vassals back to the right dukes.

How did that even happen?

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 14, 2013

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

WilliamAnderson posted:

CaesarVincens on the paradox forums made a hotfix patch for CK2+ 2.01 compatible with CK2 1.101.

It's here.

This isn't working for me at all, I'm still getting a CTD after "Adapting History" when I try to start a new game. Anyone else having that issue?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I got a message saying that a claimant to some of my titles was preparing an invasion. I checked him out and he had 17 Intrigue, so I thought: "Meh, I can squash him like a bug when he attacks."

Yeah.

He attacked with 27,000 troops. :stare:

A couple of :ese: attempts later, though, they all disappeared for some reason.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

:getin:

This is like a Kwisatz Haderach thing now that I think about it.

What's that middle symbol mean between strong and genius?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's probably the "descendant of the Zoroastrian messiah" trait, dunno the actual name.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's the Zoroastrian "Chosen One" trait.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
How do prepared invasions work? Those warriors come to my court and then two years pass and they get edgy and go away because I haven't invaded. The declare war button is grey because I have levies raised and there is no decision like "now is the time to invade!!" either.

vvvv Oh. :doh:

Rurik fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 14, 2013

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Rurik posted:

How do prepared invasions work? Those warriors come to my court and then two years pass and they get edgy and go away because I haven't invaded. The declare war button is grey because I have levies raised and there is no decision like "now is the time to invade!!" either.

lower your levies then you can declare war

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I wanna know how they work. One time I prepared one against a large nation and got like 400 dudes, and another time I burned one on Brittany and literally 12000 Carls showed up. I'm thinking it must be related to your own levies because I didn't get enough boats to carry them all which is a reflection of my actual levies.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Is there a guide anywhere on line dealing with modding CK2 or paradox games in general. I like the idea of trying to make that possessed demon retinue mini-mod I talked about earlier.

I played around with some files back in the days of HoI2, is paradox's stuff still basically coded the same way?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Antinumeric posted:

Gavelkind succession is bust as poo poo. I've made the kingdom of hungary, neatly portioned out all of my vassals into counts then given counts ducal titles and the appropriate vassals. I own Bulgaria, Hungary, Taurica (the land but not the title) and Wallachia (same as Taurica). I am also Carpathian Emperor.

When my Emperor dies, my heir gets Carpathia. His half-brother gets Bulgaria. The Wallachian and Taurican vassals still swear allegiance to me. And my brother swears allegiance to me. However the Kingdom of Hungary disappeared. All of the vassals shattered into independent counties, with the dukes still existing but having no vassals. I offered vassalisation and almost all of them accepted. But wtf? I had to re-make the kingdom and give the vassals back to the right dukes.

How did that even happen?

Yeah, I had the Kingdom of Sicily disappear once, with several vassals gaining their independence.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Emperor Conall finally got his first stroke of bad luck, and it was a doozy.

The Aztecs invaded Scotland.

They showed up with 20,000 men and I thought okay, whatever, I can raise 100,000. So I did, and as I was consolidating them the Aztecs run rampant across the levies who are close to them. I finally get an army of 27,000 together, appoint my best generals, send it against the Aztecs... and lose.

Oh, and apparently the Aztecs have noticed that I have men to spare becase their ridiculous gently caress-off fleet drops off another 6 stacks of 20k men each.

What in the loving gently caress is this? They have infinite men, I assassinated their ruler and it does gently caress all because another one just pops up and the war keeps going, also their rulers have a blank family tree and are reigning from a place that isn't on the map, and I need 2:1 odds to win a fight with them and they inflict more casualties then I do even when I win. Do they have plot armor? Are they literally unbeatable?

In Rainbows
Feb 26, 2011

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

So, the Seljuks just arrived in my game. I can raise more than their 50.000 troops but on the way up there, they suffer horrible attrition. If I let them do their thing for a while the warscore quickly goes up to 80% so that seems a bit dangerous. Any ideas what to do?

In my Zoroastrian game, I had all of Persia, Syria, Mesopotamia, Khiva, Alania, Armenia, Jerusalem, and Turmekistan, so this advice might only be useful if you can raised 117k like I could.

I also couldn't organize my armies fast enough because Persia takes so long for armies to move, so as the Seljuks are around assaulting, I just gave them Turmekistan. They turned their focus towards Cumania and their entire doomstack went that way. So I immediately declared war and took Turmekistan back while the stack was distracted. After that, Seljuks had like 5 provinces in Cumania and their doomstack. I ended up killing the doomstack because it stopped reinforcing and I had massive armies with horse archers too. So After about 2-3 battles, they were wiped out simply because I had the numbers to keep sending 30k stacks.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

CapnAndy posted:

Emperor Conall finally got his first stroke of bad luck, and it was a doozy.

The Aztecs invaded Scotland.

They showed up with 20,000 men and I thought okay, whatever, I can raise 100,000. So I did, and as I was consolidating them the Aztecs run rampant across the levies who are close to them. I finally get an army of 27,000 together, appoint my best generals, send it against the Aztecs... and lose.

Oh, and apparently the Aztecs have noticed that I have men to spare becase their ridiculous gently caress-off fleet drops off another 6 stacks of 20k men each.

What in the loving gently caress is this? They have infinite men, I assassinated their ruler and it does gently caress all because another one just pops up and the war keeps going, also their rulers have a blank family tree and are reigning from a place that isn't on the map, and I need 2:1 odds to win a fight with them and they inflict more casualties then I do even when I win. Do they have plot armor? Are they literally unbeatable?

Now you know how Cumania feels, every single game past 1215!

Seriously speaking, the only real way is to conquer some faraway place as fast as you can and retreat to there and hide until they start to lose steam. At some point they'll start to settle down, which is when they can start to have civil wars over succession.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DrSunshine posted:

Now you know how Cumania feels, every single game past 1215!

Seriously speaking, the only real way is to conquer some faraway place as fast as you can and retreat to there and hide until they start to lose steam. At some point they'll start to settle down, which is when they can start to have civil wars over succession.
gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress. How far away is far? My empire stretches into France and Brittany.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

I wish more mods did stuff with cultures.

There's a whole bunch of stuff I'd want to see, both made up and real. For instance Norse on Celtic provinces could have events to become Manx. A fun made up one that happens a lot could be when Arabs take over Greek territories - Greco-Arabs? And thinking about it, Byzantines often seems to find their way into areas it never got to. Taurica, notably.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress. How far away is far? My empire stretches into France and Brittany.

France and Brittany are really close. I've seen the Aztecs conquer up to the borders of the HRE. Go wage war on the Muslims in Sicily or the Middle East.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

France and Brittany are really close. I've seen the Aztecs conquer up to the borders of the HRE. Go wage war on the Muslims in Sicily or the Middle East.
I'm the borders of the HRE! In fact, I was trying desperately to find a way to make this the HRE's fight.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

All hail King-Bishop Poppo, of house no-dynasty!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I'm the borders of the HRE! In fact, I was trying desperately to find a way to make this the HRE's fight.

Well don't give up! Sometimes you'll just have to eat a few losses. And sometimes the Aztecs don't get very far. It's kind of a crapshoot really. v:shobon:v

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

For funzies I let the game play automatically after I founded Poland.

Near end-game I decided to check in on it. My house no longer controls Poland. Instead they control Britannia, Scandinavia and Hispania.

I.... I think the AI played my game better than I ever could. :negative:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Well don't give up! Sometimes you'll just have to eat a few losses. And sometimes the Aztecs don't get very far. It's kind of a crapshoot really. v:shobon:v
Yeah, they sort of won the war for Scotland and I have 9,000 men left out of my 100k while they have multiple untouched 20k doomstacks. I'm gonna reload and have armies waiting for them so I don't take that fuckoff no morale penalty and see how it goes, but they seem to have armies on infinite-spawn and if there's no AI between them and me to make them "settle down" or whatever and start playing by the rules...

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ThePutty posted:

All hail King-Bishop Poppo, of house no-dynasty!

I thought lowborns began their own dynasty when granted a title.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Boiled Water posted:

I thought lowborns began their own dynasty when granted a title.

Not if it's a theocracy.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, they sort of won the war for Scotland and I have 9,000 men left out of my 100k while they have multiple untouched 20k doomstacks. I'm gonna reload and have armies waiting for them so I don't take that fuckoff no morale penalty and see how it goes, but they seem to have armies on infinite-spawn and if there's no AI between them and me to make them "settle down" or whatever and start playing by the rules...

The Aztecs should not be spawning additional armies unless something has changed in recent patches. They get two doomstacks, one from each of the two aztec landing events. What might be throwing you is that they get their doomstacks in multiple lots of 20k soldiers, and occasionally there is a graphical display bug with large armies where the display under the units shows only the size of the largest army in the stack. So what looks like 20k men might in fact be 120k men, which could be why your 27k army loses to them, and why they appear to have infinite reinforcements, because the death of one 20k army just means that the next largest army is taking its place at the top of the stack.

It's been a while since I fought the Aztecs, but fighting against the Mongols as a large empire is a case of gathering your army into a single huge host and parking it off the coast of the black sea or the med, and using a small fast army (I don't remember if an all-horse retinue moves faster than a mixed one but try that) to lure the Mongols on a merry chase across Persia and Mesopotamia or Cumania to the shore whereupon you dump every single one of your soldiers into an adjacent province and crush the Mongols in a single huge battle before attrition can kill them off.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 14, 2013

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

CapnAndy posted:

I'm assuming that the horde mechanics for the Mongols are the same as the Aztecs, and if they are NEVER ASSASSINATE THEIR LEADERS! The 100k-ish attrtion-free doomstacks spawn once per ruler and do not reinforce. So if you assassinate a ruler, not only does it not end the war but they get to reinforce the doomstack!

Unless you've got a giant gently caress-off empire already, it may take a few wars until the big doomstack gets worn down. That also said, due to the Atlantic Ocean existing the Aztecs are much more vulnerable to navy bombs than the Mongols.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CapnAndy posted:

I can only give you hints about the start of the war. Biggest question: How could the Aztecs kill your levies one by one? You play an island nation, as soon as you raise your levies you immediately let them board your ships and then you can gather them in one place.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Drone posted:

This isn't working for me at all, I'm still getting a CTD after "Adapting History" when I try to start a new game. Anyone else having that issue?

It works for me, but I'm getting doubled up buildings in every province. While it's pretty funny to start as the Count of Dublin and have a fort level of 6.5 at game start, it's not quite right. 100 years into the game very few Counts have expanded, because it's so hard to siege down anything. Once you get a couple of provinces however, your levies become massive and the only thing stopping you is succession crises.

(Shattered Europe scenario)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

echopapa posted:

With the new release of CK2+ comes the new release of my landed titles mod, featuring a hell of a lot of localized holding names. If you want to see proper Anglo-Saxon city names, or proper Arab names in Spain, or Slavic names in Great Moravia, then this is the minimod for you. Just replace the standard CK2+ landed_titles folder with this one.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9m9avo

I do this myself by researching what the names mean and then translating them into Icelandic which is 'close enough' for Norse.

I might be a bit of a nerd.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

jpmeyer posted:

I'm assuming that the horde mechanics for the Mongols are the same as the Aztecs, and if they are NEVER ASSASSINATE THEIR LEADERS! The 100k-ish attrtion-free doomstacks spawn once per ruler and do not reinforce. So if you assassinate a ruler, not only does it not end the war but they get to reinforce the doomstack!

Torrannor posted:

I can only give you hints about the start of the war. Biggest question: How could the Aztecs kill your levies one by one? You play an island nation, as soon as you raise your levies you immediately let them board your ships and then you can gather them in one place.
Hmm. Good advice.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Trauma Tank posted:

Try switching to one of them using the console ` then 'charinfo 1' to find their char id and then 'play [charid]' to play as them. You could swap to the aggressor and surrender the war if a white peace won't be accepted by either side. Make sure you save before doing this, and do not under any circumstances unpause, as the AI can gently caress up your empire with a single day of control.

Thanks, I'll try that and see what luck I have.

Incidentally, has anyone else got the Merry Men event? It triggered for me once... and then kept triggering, every summer, until I loaded from a save before the event happened, at which point I never saw it again, so I've wondered if the event is broken.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I had an organization question. I've started a game as the Byzantines, and I'm immediately given the option to create several kingdoms. If I do that, a number of them immediately become title loss on succession and almost all of them start with minimal crown authority. I haven't played the Byzantines before, is the idea to create the kingdoms and then immediately pass them off to a vassal to let them deal with the problem? Or do I just suck at CKII and there's something easy that I'm missing?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

I had an organization question. I've started a game as the Byzantines, and I'm immediately given the option to create several kingdoms. If I do that, a number of them immediately become title loss on succession and almost all of them start with minimal crown authority. I haven't played the Byzantines before, is the idea to create the kingdoms and then immediately pass them off to a vassal to let them deal with the problem? Or do I just suck at CKII and there's something easy that I'm missing?
Bet you a lollipop you're set to Gavelkind succession.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

For whatever reason whenever you create a kingdom it starts on Minimal Crown Authority Gavelkind. Byzantium starts with Primogeniture so creating all of those kingdoms means that your reject younger kids will take them. It's dumb and I don't know why that's how it works.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

CapnAndy posted:

Bet you a lollipop you're set to Gavelkind succession.

Nope, Byzantium starts with Primogeniture. I don't want to preside over the break-up of the empire, so now I have dukes falling out of my rear end in a top hat instead of a few kings.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

Nope, Byzantium starts with Primogeniture. I don't want to preside over the break-up of the empire, so now I have dukes falling out of my rear end in a top hat instead of a few kings.
Check the laws of each kingdom. They default to Gavelkind like Dauntasa said.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

Byzzies can revoke Duke titles for free, so you're probably better off keeping all the Dukes. I know what you mean about wanting to consolidate however, because it sucks having to deal with 40 Dukes instead of 3 Kings.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:
Also, while Byzantium starts out under Primogeniture, they have the born in the purple mechanic; which means a lot of your kingdoms won't be going to the emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Well then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6Uht69h8Is

• Locked thread